The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

[Android] How to make it from zero to the Google Play store?

jeandearme

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
May 2, 2011
Hello,

haven't seen similar topic on Android development so I thought that it might come in value for those who want to start developing on this platform.

I want to disclose that I haven't made millions on apps. Just know what it takes from zero to Your first dollar made.

Okay, let's get started, shall we?

First of all - You should have some ideas for Android apps. Just think what You would like to be in Google Play. This one is important because without it You will not have as much drive to learn this. That could be even one, simple app - still You should set it. My goal was to make any app just to know the road and it went to be the fart app ;)

Next step - if You don't know anything about programming (like I did) You should really find a course on Android development. I personally used this one:

http://learnandroidcomplete.com/ (no, not having a dime from endorsing it - it's just good value for money).

It's really well made and the author is really helpful. When You have any questions he answers really fast, sometime even the same day. And the fact that he made it through Kickstarter.com say something, too.

If You don't have that amount of money You can refer to these YouTube channels:
Google Developer Guide - the Bible of Android. Still, many things there are not so well explained. Still, it's the source from the Android dev team.

StackOverflow - place where You will go the most. This is the hub where great developers help begginers. For free. Tons of already resolved problems. 90% of Your problems are already there waiting for You to read them. Time-saving place. You will use this wheter You are on the beggining or You're experienced.

Derek Banas - Android Development Tutorial - this guy is insanely keen on this topic. It's really a pleasure how easy he makes it look.

Girish Shakya - explains some basic apps build. Good for understanding mechanics of specific apps. Good for finding how to use specific functions.

The cons of those free channels is that they don't explain the basics of Java language. Still, You can find those on the internet - I haven't searched for that since I've used the full course mentioned earlier.

Third step - is to think how do You want to make money on this app? It's even better to think about it before You start making app. There are some ways You can choose and even mix up:
- it can be free with ads (there are various ad types - each one can make or break You app in terms of retention)
- it can be free with IAP (in-app purchases)
- it can be paid with IAP
- it can be paid (one-time money)
- it can be free with paid subscription (i.e. 14-day trial)

This place is good to discuss mone making for Android: Making Money With Android - How to make money with Android. One developer's journey to making an income from Android apps. The goal: $1000 a month.

Fourth step - is to actually release Your app. What it takes to have it released?

You need to sign up for Google Play developer account. Be prepared to pay/invest $25. When Your done You can go for it.

Then, You upload You app and start entering description of Your app - title, slogan, bigger description, screenshots. Put some energy in that - those will make Your download rate go up or down. Retention is when Your app will hold on with the users phone. Still, to keep Your app they should download it first

If Your app is in more languages, make descriptions in those languages as well. It can really drive You traffic You wouldn't expect (one day there was more traffic from Russia than from US).

When selecting in which countries You want it to be available, make them all. Why limit Yourself?

And that would be it. If You have any questions - I'll be glad to help.

P.S. This thread can be helpful to some of You as well.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

jeandearme

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
May 2, 2011
Insanely valuable post - Resources every Android developer should know

It contains books, blogs, links and even talks on the various forums.

Before getting to this post I found by myself mentioned "The Busy Coder's Guide". Just for a taste they give four years old books aways for free. It's may be not worth to operate on old informations (since this books is updated every two months), but it shows how much wisdom there is to cover (free version with 800 pages vs. up-to-date version of 2000 pages).

To me, personally, it's the most valuable and jaw-dropping resource I found in the longtime. Use it, guys!

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
Erhm, what about marketing.

You don't just upload an app and then sit back and watch the downloads come in.

jeandearme

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
May 2, 2011
Erhm, what about marketing.

You don't just upload an app and then sit back and watch the downloads come in.

Sometimes You do. When Your app is REALLY good and You made Your icon and screenshots appealing and/or hit the spot. If You look on the top charts of Google Play - You will see that most of them have great design and really good screenshots. Also, there is new trending niche - ASO or Appstore Search Optimization.

Other thing is that different app genres requier different approach. For example, farting app is one of those which You won't send over to android magazines to review it. The same goes with many, many simple entertainment app, but still there are some exceptions. Every app needs it's own approach.

After all, everyone does marketing - but the difference is in the quality. I'm just working on different descriptions and icons of my own app.

Oh, and to do marketing You have to have something to market - so back to basics. Learn to program and in the meantime You can think about marketing it.

NetNinja

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Jun 18, 2013
Do all these Android apps run on Java? If there is one language I dispise on the face of this planet and the known universe is this buggy, crash prone, browser stalling, non backward compatible language :)

I am a systems administrator not a programmer obviously. That language has caused me more grief when companies create thier interfaces to administer thier products with it.

jeandearme

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
May 2, 2011
Do all these Android apps run on Java? If there is one language I dispise on the face of this planet and the known universe is this buggy, crash prone, browser stalling, non backward compatible language :)

I am a systems administrator not a programmer obviously. That language has caused me more grief when companies create thier interfaces to administer thier products with it.

They are based on Java. Though, it's Android so it has its own cons and pros. It's for sure modified to make it better. For me, it's quite good - crashes are mostly from developer's mistake, as far as I know.

hlopez22

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Jan 3, 2012
I would have to disagree. Marketing is everything when it comes to any iOS or Android app. Don't ever sit back and just hope for downloads to come in. The real work is getting the finished app onto thousands and millions of users. That's how you make money.

mikekob

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Oct 29, 2013
Denver, CO
This is awesome. I'm in the process of developing a group of apps for the iOS devices primarily. Does anyone know of a thread along these lines?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.