The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Amazing how environment can affect attitude

DtRockstar1

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Aug 21, 2015
Livonia, MI
Hey guys! I am a diehard car enthusiast from Michigan, about a half hour outside of Detroit. I am definitely in the slowlane, as I have never made enough money to make a living. I recently spoke with a friend in LA who recommended this book, and I learned something from him that was an enormous eye opener.

I have gone literally hundreds of car shows the past several years, ridden and driven Ferraris and Lamborghinis, and made a huge network of people in the car community. Yet, somehow, I have not managed to network my way into a good career path. My friend in LA on the other hand had the exact same story as I did: Saw a Lamborghini as a kid, knew that's what he wanted. Went to several car shows and created a huge network of car owners. He doesn't own a Lamborghini, but he doesn't have a day job and is doing extremely well in LA.

How is it that, despite us having the exact same story, that we could end up with totally different results?

One of my favorite quotes is, "You are the average of the 5 people you spend the most time with." Here in Michigan, most of the Ferrari/Lamborghini owners are engineers - people who work 12-15 hour work days, and I'm surrounded by the blue collar mentality. I'm surrounded by the notion that working for someone else is the only way to go. (btw, there's nothing wrong with being a blue collar worker, if that works for you.)

My friend in LA on the other hand, many of the car owners he has met are entrepreneurs. He is surrounded by people who are business savvy and has learned a lot from them. He did not grow up with the notion that you have to get good grades, go to college, get a degree, and work your way up the corporate ladder.

By the way, I am not BLAMING my environment on my lack of success. Only I can change that. This is just an example of how your environment can rub off on you.

I hope this is an eye opener for you, as it was for me. I'd love to hear some feedback on the matter!

Chris

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

IrishSpring600

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 24, 2013
How is it that, despite us having the exact same story, that we could end up with totally different results?

Well, you answered your own question. Within due time, apply patience and you will seek what you are looking for. You will find what you are not looking for. As a complete beginner, this will interest you.

DtRockstar1

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Aug 21, 2015
Livonia, MI
Well, you answered your own question. Within due time, apply patience and you will seek what you are looking for. You will find what you are not looking for. As a complete beginner, this will interest you.

Sorry, I probably made it look like I was wondering what the answer was. I knew the answer to the question. After asking the question, I probably should have started the next sentence with, "Here's the answer." ;)

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
It's one of those things you wish you knew when you were young.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Welcome aboard @DtRockstar1 ! You're gunna love it here.

You live near Detroit, MI ? :stop: no one lives there. I mean...oh wait...yes...I do. :D

PM me.

Tyler Ellison

Digital Advertising Ninja
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Jun 18, 2015
Brazil
Kankyo Kaizen - It is the japanese name for gradually but steadily improving your surroundings to encourage the results you want.

No matter where you are at it is never too late to start improving. If you can only make small changes that is just fine since over time they will get you closer to your goals than not making them will.

The Racing Driver

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Apr 20, 2015
UK

Bingo ! This resonates so highly with me. Mastering yourself before anything or anyone else is KEY. If you haven't already, you may consider reading the 7 Habits of highly effective people.

The first 3 habits help you achieve true independence, which is essential to build a foundation for true interdependency.. Good luck buddy !

DtRockstar1

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Aug 21, 2015
Livonia, MI
Bingo ! This resonates so highly with me. Mastering yourself before anything or anyone else is KEY. If you haven't already, you may consider reading the 7 Habits of highly effective people.

The first 3 habits help you achieve true independence, which is essential to build a foundation for true interdependency.. Good luck buddy !

Thanks man! I have been making a list of books that people recommend on this site, so I have just added that one.

Chris

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...