The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Accountability - Staying on Track with a Goal

Anything related to matters of the mind

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
I have a goal, to finally become a professional stock trader, that I've been working on in a half a$$-ed way for a few years now.

What typically happens is that I get all determined, try and clear off my calendar so I can focus and then just as I am making progress, some new project, comes along that sounds just "so amazing" and I get side tracked.

I put aside the trading, work on the new project, then my energy for the new project fades because my heart just isn't in it and I give it up and go back to trading, but then I have to start over building my momentum in my trading. It doesn't seem to work to try and do both simultaneously, as both are kind of full immersion types of work.

Anyways, I've decided that it's now or never for the trading. I've blocked off from now until Jan. 1 to get everything lined up for full focus on the goal of becoming a professional trader and I've blocked off from Jan. 1 to May 1 to focus on nothing else.

BUT, I've been here before, albeit never with this much determination, but still. For example since July, I've had a job offer of a CEO, a VP and to take over another small startup. These are not easy offers to turn down, so I play with the ideas, work a bit, and then realize they are not for me.

So how do I stay focused on the goal of trading?

One idea is to try and get other people to hold me accountable. Maybe forming an accountability group or by posting progress publicly on my blog.

I was thinking about an accountability group, there must be others who are serious, that have the same "choices" overload problem they would like to overcome.

Would love to hear any suggestions, or advice.

Thanks.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Alana

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Nov 16, 2012
In the middle of a national forest (in N. CA)
In my opinion (because that’s all my post really is)….you haven’t HAD to jump in. Let me clarify: I took Spanish for years (YEARS!!) and was so-so in the language. Then I spent one month in Mexico and I HAD to speak it. I learned more Spanish that one month than I did in all my classes because I didn’t really have any other choice.
You can be picky right now, and you know it; hence, there’s no real ‘need’ to start pounding the pavement as a stock trader.
Actions speak louder…and saying you want to do it but allowing yourself to be distracted is telling me there’s something else to the story. Either it’s because you’re feet aren’t to the fire, or perhaps you are watching stock traders getting hammered in the market right now and there’s a little voice in your head that thinks ‘this could be a disaster” and you don’t want to risk any failure?
You won’t fail if you don’t do it…and that’s the safe way to go. Talking about it is so much easier (and successful-sounding) than doing it and dealing with the true grit of it all.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I've blocked off from Jan. 1 to May 1 to focus on nothing else.
WITH THE EXCEPTION OF ATTENDING B&P.... right?

One idea is to try and get other people to hold me accountable. Maybe forming an accountability group or by posting progress publicly on my blog.
Your blog sounds like a good alternative... or here, create a 'progress thread' and go for it.

I know many people here would love to hear progress from an expert like you.

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
WITH THE EXCEPTION OF ATTENDING B&P.... right?

Actually my need to focus was why I didn't sign up this year. If things are going will, maybe I'll crash it last minute ;)

Your blog sounds like a good alternative... or here, create a 'progress thread' and go for it.

I know many people here would love to hear progress from an expert like you.

Thanks, I think the public accountability idea is taking root in me. I'll probably do it on my blog (MJ's commandment of control) and post summaries on here.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

andyredsox

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Oct 24, 2012
Yeah mate, you need to jump right in and have to do it - soon!

A very food way to track your progress is through an accountability partner (go ahead and post it in your blog- it's a good way to let other experts notice you and help you down the road).

Way up ahead mate!

Cheers!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!