The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A year of the fastlane: Become Golden, Stay Golden.

Anything related to matters of the mind

Ravens_Shadow

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
643%
Oct 2, 2012
Austin, TX
So I am not going to introduce myself, because what I have done (business wise) is irrelevant in the face of what is actually important to providing value to YOU.

I have been a mentee under someone from the forum for over a year now, and I have worked with some amazing people from and off the forum as well. I will note that I am 21, but that is irrelevant as well.

Here are some of the things I’ve learned, in no particular order.

Fears:

Don’t let your fears control your life. I sold everything I owned and moved across the country to learn from someone I didn’t know. It was the biggest risk I’ve ever taken and it has since allowed me to travel around the world and go to places I never thought I’d see. If I decided to not face my fears, I would still be working in a factory. Your fears have total control over your life if you allow them to. The thing is, if you make the leap, the net will appear.

Sometimes people allow themselves to suffer until its actually easier to face your fears than it is to deal with the suffering. That’s the point that I reached and I would advise everyone to tell your fears to F*ck off and to go get your shit done, because as soon as you do, you will realize just how easy it all is.

So what, fears control your life now? What does it matter if you fail? Failure is an opportunity to learn. I embrace failure, I love failure. It lets me know EXACTLY what not to do next time around. I have lost out on some pretty amazing deals because of failure, but when the next deal came around, I was able to swiftly close it due to knowledge I could’ve only gotten from failing. Don’t be such a chicken shit. Most people in their 40’s/50’s are still afraid of what might happen, but they just take the leap anyway.

Learn what your fears are, write them down, break them down, and move past them. Release your shackles.

Education:

I dropped out of college twice. College isn’t for everyone and I am not here to debate what college can or cannot do for you. I just know that I have learned more in the past year than I ever could have in a classroom.

I take knowledge given to me by others and immediately try to apply it to my life. I personally have excelled faster than many others ever will due to my thought process. With my thought process I can quickly connect the dots in the past with new knowledge given to me. I try to understand WHY things happen and WHY some things work and WHY some things don’t.

Education never stops, always better yourself. You can learn anything you want from the internet (youtube, google, etc). I have learned an immeasurable amount from asking the right questions. Asking questions is the greatest way to get a free education. Learn to ask the right questions, don’t waste peoples time with dumb questions like; “How much money do you make?” “What is your business?” “What is a zen mindset?” “How do I start a business?” “How do I start a business without money?” “How do I learn x?”.

Well I don’t know, why don’t you start off by asking google or the right people? There are countless forums, posts, articles, blogs etc about starting a business. The real secret is that you have to just do it, just make the leap, start something and then go to the NEXT STEP. A before Z. Always ask “what’s next”. And eventually you’ll succeed.

Obstacles = False Barriers:

There are no obstacles, only the ones you create in your head. Any “obstacles” that you have are just manifestations due to your fears. Sure, there are hiccups in life and business, but you can overcome any of it with work. If you say it CAN’T be done, you are correct. YOU can’t do it.

If you say it CAN be done, then dammit, you CAN do it.

The biggest challenge you face is yourself.

Find out what ya suck at early on:

Find out what you suck at early on and stay out of what you suck at. I cannot stress this enough. Don’t waste your time as it is your most valuable asset. I personally suck at sales and marketing so I hire people to do it for me. Forget becoming well rounded, who wants to use a dull knife? Focus only on what you are good at and outsource what you suck at. Become the sharpest knife possible in select areas that you can dominate. Knowing what you suck at is extremely important.

By knowing what I suck at, and knowing what I’m good at, I have VALUE. I know exactly what I can provide to people in deals. Knowing this allows me to describe what I can offer to people, and in turn people ask me “What can I do for you, how can I help you?”.

Your mindset is the most powerful tool you have. Sharpen the shit out of it, because if you dont, you will be a victim of living your life on "default". And we all know where living in default leads. Exactly where you don’t want to be.

Learn the skills of a leader, and go find leaders to be around. Begin aquiring as many leader oriented skills as possible, It’s not being cocky that makes you money. It some very serious skills. Find and hone those.

How many people are asking you what can they do for you? Have you been able to provide enough value to where the tables have turned to be in your favor?

Don’t start a business to “Prove your worth to someone”. Do it for yourself.

Dont give a flying F*ck about what others think of you, because they honestly don’t really care if you suck, or if you're doing well. So learn to do what you do, for you, and your own reasons. Anything that has to do with "showing someone whose best" is utter bullshit. It’s a very shallow, and short lived victory. It’s worth about zero time spent on it.

Give a bigger shit about other people than you do yourself, and you will find that your life will have a richness to it regardless of your bank account.

Don't let greed take you over. Be generous to everyone in your deals and more deals than you can ever handle will come to your door step. Because i’m so generous in sharing the profits of my deals, I have more than I can handle. It’s nice to have so many that you have to tell people no.

YOU ARE NOT YOUR BANK ACCOUNT! The amount of money you have does NOT define who you are or what your worth is!

Speed:

You will get older, and wiser in spite of yourself. Don't be in too much of a hurry, because trying to get there to fast, means you're just on a race to get to the end... and that is death. Seriously dead. Why are you in such a hurry anyway? To prove something to someone? We already talked about that.

With that said, going fast in your business is necessary, but sometimes you seriously need to slow down for a while so you can look at your business from a 30,000/ft view. This will help you strategically plan the direction you want to take your business. From there, you can go back to going as fast as you can go to get there, in a tactical manner. It's always about WHATS NEXT, not 5 miles up the road.

An important question you need to ask if you are looking to have lots of money:

What will you do once you get it? Will you just call it quits and retire on a beach? Will you go to help others achieve the same? Will you play video games all day? Will you raise a family? What will YOU do with your free time? Once money comes easily, what then? Do you try to aquire more?

The point is, once you get to the “end” of your journey, you need to know what you’re going to do after you’ve reached your main goals. This is a seriously important question you need to know before you reach that destination.

Persistence:

Persistence will out pace bad luck, and no amount of bad luck will outweigh persistence. Always be persistent. Never give up due to fears or insecurities.

Your Vehicle:

Find out who YOU are. Find out what YOUR voice is. Find YOUR SELF. From that, everything else will happen, and it’ll become so much easier. Focus on YOU for a while.

Every few weeks or so, I do a “Re-cap” on the weekends. I spend 1-3 hours to myself, and write down everything I've learned on a white board. I write down things that challenged me, things I’d like to change about myself, things I’ve learned about myself. I write it down in front of me so i can physically see my thoughts in the physical realm. Doing this helps me get my bearings straight and helps me to apply new ideals and methods to my mindset and thought processes. It helps me be an ever evolving person. I constantly strive to be the best me possible, and you should do the same.

Relationships: THIS IS MY OWN PERSONAL OPINION: (For the unmarried only)

Dont be in a rush to get married or settle down. Settling down, is the first step to adding in more fear, and with that you take less chances and less risk. Either that, or let her/him know you are a high risk taker, and she/he has to be comfortable with that or hit the road early, cause it will only freak her/him out more as time goes on.

Granted, it is often touted (Work 16 hour days on the weekends and week days, and forget relationships etc). Eh, not my style. I work on weekends often, but after about 5-6pm. I’m done for the day, by that time i’m just unproductive, so I go spend time with people via dates, hanging out, going on road trips etc. If someone comes along that I fancy, I’ll court them and possibly become (exclusive), but i’m in no hurry to completely settle down. Get out of your head and go have fun. Life isn’t completely about business. Build your relationships. You never know when you can use that contact later in life.

For morons:
"There is also a side note i will throw out there. Some assholes use the phrase "F*ck bitches, get money" or "disregard females, acquire currency". Don't be one of those immature assholes please, the world has enough of them. It's a completely childish way to look at your adult endeavors."

For the guys:
If you haven't "figured out" women yet, its because your not enough of a man yet. Work on that. Being a good man in this world is unfortunately a rare thing. Don't let yourself become one of those Douche Bags.

The point is, go out there and meet people, build relationships, and let things take the course they may. Just don't rush anything.

Networking:

This is one of the most important things you can do in your physical realm. Going out and meeting people has expanded my knowledge of the world ten fold. I have contacts to people in countries i never thought possible all through networking. Grow you black book and keep track of who is who. I use an app called CJournal to tag my contacts and make a note of everyone. Keep all of your business cards you receive as well. Back what ever you can up into the cloud as often as possible. You never know when you will lose your wallet/purse and be stuck without thousands of acquired cards.

When you are out networking, start off by asking people how you can help them. If you provide enough value to them, they will certainly return the favor. I've found that most of business deals with networking with the right people.

Balance:

Find balance in your life. Work really hard when its time to work. However, you seriously need to know when it's time to play. I dedicate my nights on saturday to go out and have fun. Occasionally Friday night i'll go out and have a few drinks and do what most people do. Work isn't everything, and since you are running a serious venture, you need time to unwind and relax.

Do not neglect this, as doing so will destroy you. After 8pm on week nights, and 6pm on weekends, my days are done. I'm not in a hurry, the deals aren't going to run away. If i KNOW that i need to work, I will! But you've gotta find balance. In the first days of our startup, we worked 16-18 hour days for a few months straight. But it NEEDED to be done. Take some time off. Go have fun.

Closing Remarks:

Just show up. Show up every day and you'll know what you have to do. Just showing up is 90% of what it takes to do business. Every day that you show up, you'll be that much closer to success. Showing up gets you the contacts you need.

There are over a million ways to make a million dollars and it's seriously easy, you just have to do the right thing, which is more of a formula than you think. Ask the right questions, provide value, do whats next, and be persistent.

Life is what happens while you are planning it. Be open to failure, I am only successful because I have f*cked up. Embrace it!

Start by asking better questions, then applying what you learn from the answers the wiser give you.

Hope it helps.

Thanks to @Vigilante @PeteLife and @MJ DeMarco

Vig seriously kicked my a$$ a few years ago. I'm forever grateful.​

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Grok

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Jul 14, 2015
Apache junction
Thank You, so many things to apply. The more I hear and see advice the easier it is to apply.

Ravens_Shadow

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
643%
Oct 2, 2012
Austin, TX
your post is truly amazing...can i share it on my blog ? need ur permission

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Feel free to share the direct link if you wish. It's my own personal story and it belongs here however. Thanks for the kind words!

shubham525

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jul 16, 2015
India
i am 21 (indian)and studying in a crappy engineering college (3rd year)which has too many students. job would be like 250$ per month.
My family is typical like most go to college work hard land a job.India is so overpopulated that students cant find part time jobs because they have a full time person availabe ready to work at same wages.
its been 3 days on fastlane and i see a lot of good ideas but would like to know what you can suggest me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ravens_Shadow

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
643%
Oct 2, 2012
Austin, TX
Now that I have a bit of down time, here's one of the most important thing's I've learned to do.

Handle your shit.
So how does one handle their shit? What does handling your shit mean?

Handling your shit means no matter what the consequences, embarrassment, destruction of your pride, etc, you have to handle your shit. When a deal goes off the deep end, (which they can for a number of reasons) you need to know how to promptly handle your shit instead of running away from it.

Examples of times you need to seriously handle your shit that I have been through: (just a fraction of it)

Customs has halted your shipment in Indonesian customs and it's been stuck there for 12 days. Investors are extremely pissed because the deadline for its unveiling has since passed. What do you do? Well you fly there and personally tell customs police to let the shipment through and frankly handle your shit. In the process I ended up staying in Jakarta two months. Due to the time that our product sat in customs, 100% humidity destroyed it, which we were completely unprepared for as we did all of our testing in the desert. Thus our product didn't work for our investors when it came time to show it off, so I had to handle my shit and get a completely new shipment sent to the country. This time we brought this huge thing over via commercial plane. Once again we were stuck in airport customs and had to pay them to let us go through.

The Arrival of my partner with the shipment:
10998879_1553555351566662_558652769188668348_o.jpg

Turns out the second shipment worked as promised, but frankly this is two months later. During the down time, I had to handle my shit, and train people to use our product (complicated), but what do you do when you don't know their language? Well I had to handle my shit and learn indonesian to the point of being able to describe complex parts of this product. That's not to say I became fluent, however I knew I had to at least get some of the language down. You may ask, why not get a translator? Well, we had one to some degree, but it just wasn't working because during translation things got really skewed. So it was best for me to figure it out.

When it came time to unveil this product for the second time (after intense testing), it once again failed due to humidity and this time I got absolutely destroyed by angry investors. However, I handled my shit in a professional manner, profusely apologized for our ridiculous F*ck up. In the end all parties walked away satisfied that we worked through our differences, problems, and upheld our promises. Handling your shit is what separates you from a total dip shit and someone who is serious about getting shit done.

That brings me to my next thing. You have to eat a lot of shit to be successful. For me 55 gallon drums of shit fall out of the sky, and I say "dinner is served" and eat through it. Because I know at the end of all these problems, hardships, and F*ck ups, is success. You have to eat shit to be successful. If it was easy, a lot of people still probably wouldn't do it, however, if it was easy you probably wouldn't have as much success as you seek.

If you just accept that things are going to be hard at times, without complaining about it, it will absolutely go over so much smoother. But this is the fun of it all, this is what it takes to go on this journey. Handling your shit, and eating shit will allow you to become the person you want to be so much quicker. There is no shortcut to wealth. There is no shortcut to success. You just have to handle your shit and get shit done.

And to be honest, eating shit isn't that bad at all, it actually turns out to be rather fun!

And here's some things I saw on my down time in Indonesia.

10847668_1547183972203800_7044810524175813164_o.jpg

10847520_1534542960134568_8012477491011892804_o.jpg

Go out there and kick some a$$.

Last edited:

Will Hodge

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jul 5, 2015
Now that I have a bit of down time, here's one of the most important thing's I've learned to do.

Handle your shit.
So how does one handle their shit? What does handling your shit mean?

Handling your shit means no matter what the consequences, embarrassment, destruction of your pride, etc, you have to handle your shit. When a deal goes off the deep end, (which they can for a number of reasons) you need to know how to promptly handle your shit instead of running away from it.

Examples of times you need to seriously handle your shit that I have been through: (just a fraction of it)

Customs has halted your shipment in Indonesian customs and it's been stuck there for 12 days. Investors are extremely pissed because the deadline for its unveiling has since passed. What do you do? Well you fly there and personally tell customs police to let the shipment through and frankly handle your shit. In the process I ended up staying in Jakarta two months. Due to the time that our product sat in customs, 100% humidity destroyed it, which we were completely unprepared for as we did all of our testing in the desert. Thus our product didn't work for our investors when it came time to show it off, so I had to handle my shit and get a completely new shipment sent to the country. This time we brought this huge thing over via commercial plane. Once again we were stuck in airport customs and had to pay them to let us go through.

The Arrival:
10998879_1553555351566662_558652769188668348_o.jpg

Turns out the second shipment worked as promised, but frankly this is two months later. During the down time, I had to handle my shit, and train people to use our product (complicated), but what do you do when you don't know their language? Well I had to handle my shit and learn indonesian to the point of being able to describe complex parts of this product. That's not to say I became fluent, however I knew I had to at least get some of the language down. You may ask, why not get a translator? Well, we had one to some degree, but it just wasn't working because during translation things got really skewed. So it was best for me to figure it out.

When it came time to unveil this product for the second time (after intense testing), it once again failed due to humidity and this time I got absolutely destroyed by angry investors. However, I handled my shit in a professional manner, profusely apologized for our ridiculous F*ck up. In the end all parties walked away satisfied that we worked through our differences, problems, and upheld our promises. Handling your shit is what separates you from a total dip shit and someone who is serious about getting shit done.

That brings me to my next thing. You have to eat a lot of shit to be successful. For me 55 gallon drums of shit fall out of the sky, and I say "dinner is served" and eat through it. Because I know at the end of all these problems, hardships, and F*ck ups, is success. You have to eat shit to be successful. If it was easy, a lot of people still probably wouldn't do it, however, if it was easy you probably wouldn't have as much success as you seek.

If you just accept that things are going to be hard at times, without complaining about it, it will absolutely go over so much smoother. But this is the fun of it all, this is what it takes to go on this journey. Handling your shit, and eating shit will allow you to become the person you want to be so much quicker. There is no shortcut to wealth. There is no shortcut to success. You just have to handle your shit and get shit done.

And to be honest, eating shit isn't that bad at all, it actually turns out to be rather fun!

And here's some things I saw on my down time in Indonesia.

10847668_1547183972203800_7044810524175813164_o.jpg

10847520_1534542960134568_8012477491011892804_o.jpg

Go out there and kick some a$$.

Let me just say: this post is pure gold. I love hearing a great story and enthusiasm from someone my age. I am looking forward to eating shit through the journey ahead so I can finally become a free fastlaner. Thanks for posting!

Ravens_Shadow

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
643%
Oct 2, 2012
Austin, TX
My Biggest Fear.
So here's one of my ex-BIGGEST fears, which ended up holding no truth in the end. I feared I was never going to be able to sleep again. That the end of the day face plant into the bed was what I thought i'd lose. Why is this an important thing to bring up? It signifies what I thought was going to be a significant loss in my life. Now i'm not saying that going to sleep is my favorite thing in life. It's more of a metaphor for I thought I was going to be losing out on my life, that everything would change, to the point where I wouldn't even be able to sleep. I told myself that doing business will make me lifeless. That doing business will make me "dead". The end of the day face plant in the bed signifies that you ARE alive to me. It's one of those really good moments. You go into your room, look at your bed and you're just ecstatic that you're finally there and can rest. To me that's the very last thing in my day and it allows me to bask in success for a minute, then drift away.

This is important for me to get this out there, because I know there are many other's that are scared that they are going to be dead once they do something entrepreneurial. That their life ends there, that nothing but business happens after that. It's so untrue, I can't even begin to describe how false it is. Just taking action in itself is truly freeing. My happiness levels have skyrocketed, since I've had my fair share of success. I'm even more excited because I found that i've only just begun my journey and that there will be so many more awesome things to come, simply because I started this chain reaction towards inevitable wealth. But it's not just about the wealth, folks, it's about the journey, and really enjoying it. Every day I learn something new, and get to just fully enjoy every second of it. I love exactly where I am, and exactly what I'm doing. It'll only get better from here.

The truth is, I'm not dead. I'm extremely happy. I still get to do my faceplant into my bed, each and every night. I know that's eventually not guaranteed at one point, which is why our time is extremely valuable. But because I know that eventually it will come to an end, I must still have a life outside of all business. I sincerely recommend you do other things. Nothing gets taken away from you when you do business. Sure, you make sacrifices. But when it truly boils down to YOU, not much is lost, if anything. There's so much to gain by just starting, by just doing it. The things i've "lost", were pretty worthless in the first place. Sure, I don't play video games as much, and I frankly don't eat as much junk food now. I'm always looking to find a life enriching experience. And these experiences come every day. Become aware of your environment. Take the time to become aware of everything, and take a walk outside and enjoy it.

You have only have everything to gain. Do it for you.​

Once you become aware, things can only get better from there.

juggler619

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
May 25, 2015
Abu Dhabi
@Ravens_Shadow Pure top quality share! Thanks -

" The real secret is that you have to just do it, just make the leap, start something and then go to the NEXT STEP. A before Z. Always ask “what’s next”. And eventually you’ll succeed."

Leo Hendrix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Apr 15, 2014
Great stuff and thanks a lot for sharing.

I had that problem of supposedly being 'busy' always working on business while in fact I was still action faking and cutting out enjoyment and social engagement to my own detriment.

I think that is a key point that you kept reiterating, balance and having a life is so important, besides support and mental health.

Connecting with others, giving and sharing value benefits all participants.

Ravens_Shadow

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
643%
Oct 2, 2012
Austin, TX
Learning to Understand (And knowing how to Apologize)

How to understand others:
1. Ask questions.
2. Repeat step 1.
When you are having a conversation with someone, completely focus on them, and ask questions to get more information out of them.

How should you ask questions and show that you are listening?

Business:
John Says "So i was recently looking at better targeting my facebook ads to a tighter group of people, once I did that, my revenue exploded!"
Nick Says"" So when you targeted your facebook ads to a tighter group of people, your revenue expoded? How did you figure out how to better target your ads?"
John Says" Oh well, I did this this this and this...
etc.

Repeat what the person said, then ask a question around it.

Relationships:
Diana Says: "When you were a hurry to get to work, you left me hanging by the door and I didn't get to tell you something that was really on my mind, so it made me feel hurt and that you didn't love me."
Rafael Says: "So this morning when I was leaving for work, I left you hanging by the door and you didn't get to tell me something that was really on your mind, and thus it made you feel hurt? Am I understanding that correctly?
Diana Says: "Yes, and I've been thinking about it all day."
Rafael Says: "I'm sorry Diana, I didn't mean to leave you hanging by the door and hurt your feelings. I love you and the way you care so much about me, and I appreciate all that you do. What was it that you needed to tell me?"

And then you listen, and repeat the method of asking questions.

Relationships are everything, whether its in business or your personal life, they really are everything. The better you can communicate and understand the people you are interacting with, the better the results you will see.

Learning to put yourself in another persons shoes will help you understand where that other person is coming from if conflict arises. You can get to the root of the problem so much faster if you see it from their eyes. From there you can apologize for any wrong doing you may have done.

I believe so many marriages and relationships could be saved by learning to ask, listen, and communicate effectively. Putting yourself in the other persons shoes is so important, not only that, but teaching your significant other how to do the same as well!

If you have an investor, and you just lost $1 Million dollars of his money, apologize. Say you are sorry, and express how sincere you are. Who knows, this person may just like the way you owned up to your actions and invest more money the next time around, knowing you are honest and transparent.

In most cases, manning up and apologizing in a situation where you are at fault, or maybe even not at fault can seriously fix things. If you step up to the plate, eat some shit, and say that you f*cked up, sincerely... Odds are it will be reciprocated so well, you may just get that second chance you've been waiting for or needing. Apologizing when needed shows that you are man enough to be you. You are in your masculine(or feminine) and you take full responsibility for your actions.

Just another key to success.

Ravens_Shadow

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
643%
Oct 2, 2012
Austin, TX
The Importance of mentors in your life:
I want to throw a mention out there about how important mentors are and how to get the most out of mentorship.

First off, how do you find a mentor? You pick up the phone and call your prospect! Your cellphone is the greatest asset you have in terms of becoming successful. It is your connection to nearly everyone on this planet and no matter who you wan't to reach, after a few phone calls, even you could talk to Mark Cuban or DJ Kahled. If you don't have a phone number, email them, facebook them, skype them, whatever you have to do to get in touch!

There are plenty of people on this forum who are wonderful enough and knowledgeable enough to become your mentors, all you have to do is ask (however most here are probably taken). What will you provide in return to your potential mentor? Most people, including me, simply don't have the time to mentor someone for free, so what can you do for your mentor? Whether its giving up a small portion of equity, cash, or a return on an investment from them, you've gotta offer value too. You could even move to where they are, work for free, and sweat it out on a farm like I did to learn from one of your mentors!

Generally, money is the least common denominator, meaning you can provide anything else in return and money is generally the LAST thing you should resort to. Whether its providing extra networking opportunities for your mentors or forwarding people to their business, you have to find a way to give back. A mentorship is a giving relationship from both ends. Someone is taking time out of their day to guide you through hardships and answer whatever questions you may have, which believe it or not, is very time consuming, even when you aren't even speaking to them or near them as they work in the shadows to find new knowledge to give to you. I do want to mention that it is completely possible to get a mentor without giving anything in return, but in my experience, good luck.

You must show that you're dedicated to get a great mentor. If you half a$$ everything, your potential mentors will see it and kick you to the curb as they really don't want to waste their time with shitheads.

Why are they so important though? Can't I just be the lone wolf and do this on my own?

Mentors can speed up your learning curve by 5-10 years, guaranteed. If you have a good mentor who has been through the jungle and blazed their own path, they certainly know a thing or two about succeeding and the formulas behind it. Your mentor can give you vital knowledge that took them 5-20+ years to learn, but you just have to learn to LISTEN to what they have to say. As the saying goes, do you want to be RIGHT or do you want to be RICH?

It is important to go at the pace that your mentor teaches you so that you don't get ahead of yourself and F*ck something up. Be patient, as it's all about the journey. Depending on your relationship with your mentors, they will try to protect you from some of the harsh realities of business and the consequences of really messing up. If your mentor can't keep up with you and your pace, perhaps its time you find another mentor who can compliment your talents, skills, and speed.

Mentors can introduce you to a plethora of new people. Depending on your mentor, they could have an insanely huge black book full of entrepreneurs, investors, CEO's, lawyers, government officials, and anyone else of importance that you may just need to get in contact with. If you want to know if your mentor knows XYZ, just ask, more than likely they'll make an introduction for you. I will note that it is completely up to YOU to walk through the door and make your new connection a reality.

Mentors can show you a new way to think. If you are often stuck in a rut, perhaps it would be beneficial to you to seek out other people to learn from so you can gain their view and perspective on things.

Get multiple mentors: When your one and only mentor is busy, who will you turn to then? Your second, third, fourth or fifth mentor of course. Having more than one mentor is beneficial, not only because it grows your (potential) network tenfold, but it also allows you to see the various ways to learn, make money, and succeed in life. Through multiple mentors, you can see the various ways that they have traveled to get to where they are so you can make your own opinions and decisions on the way YOU want to get to where YOU want to go.

There are many many many other ways that mentors can help you, go get some, before you know it, people will be coming up to you asking you to mentor them. ;)

//end random typing spree.

EDIT: I want to mention, the best way to get the most out of your mentorship is to ASK GOOD QUESTIONS.

Last edited:

Ravens_Shadow

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
643%
Oct 2, 2012
Austin, TX
Shit happens...

Got fired from my job (not performance based), best thing that ever happened to me.

Called up my boys in Indonesia and they shipped me some pretty amazing products to sell in the US. (It pays to handle your shit and not burn bridges doesn't it?). Even though I lost a lot of their money, they were still willing work with me, all because I handled my shit..

Then got a call from a fellow fastlaner wanting to partner up on a killer new company after he heard i got the boot. Agreed to join him, and we're kicking a$$ on this new startup.

Then, I offloaded product to a guy who knows how to run amazon like a champ and made a deal where I supply product and handle importing and customs, he makes the sales. I get a little bit of money, he makes most of it. Zing, some new monthly income within a few meetings.

Also got some guys flying to NM within a week to meet about getting this product in the bulk of millions of x for government contracts. Who knows, could make a pretty big deal here soon with that, however...

Focusing solely on this new startup now and about to kill it.

Can't get spread too thin.

After thinking about being spread too thin, I had an old client calling me wanting me to do business with them because I provide tremendous value to them. If needed, i could make some really quick ca$h for 4-8 hours a month worth of work from them.

Also decided to let go of the mentors i used to work for at the job mentioned above, as I didn't see eye to eye with them any more and saw it best that I depart.

Big changes, big changes.

The month of April has been completely F*cking kick a$$. Destroying it, and on the verge of making more money through providing value than I ever have.

Opportunities are EVERYWHERE if you are out there hustling and making a name for yourself. I have so many opportunities in front of me. You have problems coming up with ideas?? Create value and let the ideas come to you.

Sometimes you can choose which shit you want to eat, it's good to have choices.

Last edited:

Spenny

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom