The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

6 ways to find your next big idea

Idea threads

Corbin

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
325%
Apr 21, 2015

damondietz

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Apr 22, 2011
Holmdel, New Jersey, United States
Great article. Interesting to see that brainstorming works as well individually as in a group. I always thought it to be a group activity for problem solving. I have to start planning some solo brainstorming sessions now!!!

Corbin

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
325%
Apr 21, 2015
Great article. Interesting to see that brainstorming works as well individually as in a group. I always thought it to be a group activity for problem solving. I have to start planning some solo brainstorming sessions now!!!

Yes, I was surprised about that as well!

Bananas

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
208%
Sep 1, 2014
Texas
I published this post on Medium and I thought you'd appreciate it.

It teaches you new techniques for finding your next big idea, including one that was used by Steve Jobs.

Hope you enjoy it and I would love to hear any feedback that you have!

https://medium.com/@nathan.rimmer/6-ways-to-find-the-spark-5f944d377e47

Great article. I now understand something I've been doing for years - the Incubation Method.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ronnie Bryan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
May 4, 2015
Oklahoma
Very good material thank you for sharing this.I liked the who, what, where, when and why questions I ask myself when I think of things.

YoungGun

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Jun 2, 2015
Enjoyed this article, going to make brainstorming a routine.
This topic can tie into concepts from Gary Keller's The One Thing.
Thanks I needed this!

Kevin D. Smith

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
277%
Jun 29, 2015
Fantastic article, I can't wait to implement them into my brainstorming. It just adds to the realization that creativity is a skill not something you're born with.

aditya.susilo

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jul 7, 2015
Great article. I liked the 5 why rule. It gives a deep understanding of something. Thanks for sharing

Sent from my ASUS_T00G using Tapatalk

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Great article.

I came across SCAMPER a while ago and loved this youtube video that gave it context based on Smarties:

blackhat

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Mar 24, 2015
Looks like the post has been deleted. Here is a cached version if anyone wants to read it.

6 ways to find your next big idea

Learn the techniques used by Steve Jobs and others to find your spark.

Hollywood movies would have you believe that innovators find ideas in a moment of inspiration — the “flash of genius” moment. They want you to think that there’s something mystical about being able to find new ideas. They tell this tale not because it’s how innovators actually work but because it sounds exciting — which sells movie tickets.

The truth is much different. Many of the world’s top innovators have learned to be creative using the techniques described in this post. The good news is that it’s easy to get started with these techniques, so you can start using them today.

Brainstorming
This is probably the best known technique for developing new products or services. It tries to solve a problem by spontaneously listing ideas related to it (The problem you are trying to solve is what products/services will people buy or use). Originally, it was believed that this technique was better suited to groups. However, recent research suggests that brainstorming works just as well for individuals.

Use these tips to get the best from your brainstorming sessions:

• Make sure that everyone involved understands the problem that you want to solve and the objectives of a possible solution. This sets the boundaries for the brainstorming, which ensures that the ideas generated are focused on the problem area.
  • There are no bad ideas during brainstorming. Write down every idea you think of no matter how crazy or impractical it may sound. Your job during brainstorming isn’t to critique ideas — it’s to find new solutions by generating as many ideas as possible.
  • Aim for quantity, rather than quality. You want to come up with as many ideas as possible so do whatever it takes to keep the ideas flowing.
  • If you are working with a group, try brainstorming individually before brainstorming as a group. Sometimes in a group brainstorming session, people get fixated on one idea. Brainstorming individually before coming together as a group can help to avoid that by introducing lots of ideas that keep the session moving.
SCAMPER

1*DX-u_yxCAz0-f5d_msF0VA.png

Harvard researchers found that the number one skill that separates innovators from non-creative people was “associating” — the ability to make connections that others can’t see. The SCAMPER technique is a mnemonic that helps you make those connections by re-imagining how existing products can be used, modified or combined.

• Substitute — What can I substitute in this product? What can be used instead to provide the same service? Who else instead wants to use this product? What other tools/technology can I use to create this product/service?
  • Combine — How can I combine this product/service with another one? How can I combine this service with a new pricing model? How can I combine this product with a new marketing channel? How can I combine this service with a new delivery channel?
  • Adapt — What can I adapt to use as a solution? What other products are like this? What other services does this suggest? Are there old technologies, products or services that I could use? Which companies could I copy?
  • Modify — Can I change the color of existing product in some way? Can I change the size of existing product in some way? Can I change the shape of existing product in some way?
  • Put to other uses — Can I use an existing product/service in a new way? Can I modify an existing product/service and use it in a new way?
  • Eliminate — What can you eliminate from an existing product/service? How can I cut the costs of an existing product/service? How can I simplify an existing product/service?
  • Rearrange — Can I rearrange an existing product/service in some way? Can I change the sequence in which the customer experiences it?
5 Whys
This technique asks Why? five times to discover the cause and effect relationship for a problem. You can use this to discover the root cause of a problem, which you solve as part of your product or service. The technique was created by Sakichi Toyoda and helped turn Toyota into the powerhouse that it is today.

An example of using this technique is to find out why potential customers won’t use your product.

Problem: Potential customers will not our service despite it being better than Competitor A.

1. Why? Switching from Competitor A to our product is difficult.
  2. Why? They would lose all historical data by switching to our product.
  3. Why? All of their historical data is stored in Competitor A’s product and cannot be exported.
  4. Why? Competitor A has not built a tool to export the data.
  5. Why? Competitor A is worried about competition and knows that not having an export tool keeps customers locked in.
After asking Why? five times, you can see that there is an opportunity to win customers from Competitor A by building a tool that allows people to export data from their tool.

The Kipling method
I keep six honest serving-men
(They taught me all I knew);
Their names are What and Why and When
And How and Where and Who.

This method is named after Rudyard Kipling, the English poet and novelist. In particular, it references the first few lines of his poem ‘I Keep Six Honest Serving Men’.

This technique involves finding new product and services ideas by asking What? When? Where? Why? Who? and How? (Which is why this method is also known as 5W1H — 5 Whys? And 1 How?)

You can use this technique to explore every aspect of the target market, your competitors and your potential customers. For example, you can use it to discover where target markets exist and their properties, how competitors operate their businesses and how potential customers use products and services.
Once you have completed your exploration you will know a lot more about the target market you are entering. This means that you will be in a much better position to create products/services that your customers will love.

Incubation

1*Iv5kpVcFROY0n89OeNJ0nQ.jpeg

Ever been in the shower and suddenly thought of the solution to a problem that you’ve been trying to solve for hours? If you have, you used the Incubation method to solve the problem.

Using this technique, you immerse yourself in the problem and then do something as a distraction. While your conscious mind is distracted, your subconscious mind continues to work on the problem and will often find a solution.

An example of Incubation would be reading lots of blog posts and books, watching videos, reading reports, and interviewing customers to immerse yourself in the problem. Then you distract your conscious mind. Stanford researchers found that walking improves creativity so this is probably a good distraction. But taking a shower or watching a movie also work well for me.

I first saw this technique used by seasoned developers when they would get stuck on a problem. If they couldn’t fix a code problem in a few hours, they set it aside and worked on something else (You could also play ping pong or build a potato cannon I suppose). Often while working on the other task, the solution to the original problem would come to them.

Back from the future
I heard about this technique on Reddit but I also seem to remember that Steve Jobs or Elon Musk used it. I can’t prove that so I’m going to say that u/loughmiller invented it :)

The idea is that you ask your customers to describe how they think their business will look in the future (say five years from now). You then ask yourself what needs to be in place before that can happen. Then ask what needs to be in place before that can happen. You keep repeating this process until you arrive at how things are today.

This will give you a road map of what you need to build to get your customers where they need to be five years from now. With this roadmap in hand, you can start building the products and services to get your customers where they want to go.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.