The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

5 Easy Rules to Going Broke Freelancing!

HAL

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Jul 23, 2015
With the popularity of freelancing threads which seem to be growing here, I thought I would share how I went broke, several times over, freelancing. To make it easy for everyone, I've condensed it into a set of 5 rules.

Rule #1: Never pay your estimated quarterly taxes

This one is simply. If you get paid $1,000 from a client, then you have $1,000 to spend on necessities like food and rent. Don't worry about your tax bill until April comes. Sure you may have a $17,000 tax bill one year like I did, but you can always pay in installments with interest to the IRS.

Rule #2: Never ask for any pay upfront

This should be obvious, if you have done zero work, why would you expect a client to pay you anything. I once took on a 15K project where I knew I would get paid (a big prestigious company), but I also knew it wasn't going to be until 90 days after all the contracts where signed.

Keep in mind that 90 days is almost a quarter of a year -- how long would you work at a 9-5 without seeing a paycheck? I did get paid, but before I had that check I was basically out on the street with all my belongings in my car. Oh yeah, late fees and credit card interest had also added up as I tried to live through a quarter of a year without an income.

Rule #3: Don't charge for everything

Only charge for the time you are directly working on a clients project. Don't charge, for instance, for the hours of phone calls or meetings your clients want to have because, of course, your time is not that valuable.

In my case working with a lot of video and motion graphics I often had to render complex projects which could take hours. I mainly rendered over night when I could, so I never felt the need to charge (even a reduced hourly rate). The problem is, clients would often want fast changes and turn arounds in the middle of the day, and even though I wasn't 'actually working' , my computer was. So I was locked out of working on other projects since rendering is processor intensive.

So I not only lost out on other revenue, but of course electricity costs money as well as the upkeep and upgrades that I needed to do to keep my computer running.

Rule #4: Just say Yes!

No matter how bad the project sounds, if you need the money, just say yes! You are in NO position to turn down any money, right?

Every time I take on a project that I have a bad feeling about, it usually turns out not to be worth it. Bad projects usually come from bad clients that I've swore off in the past. It's very hard to say 'no' when your bank account is in the negative, but there is almost always an opportunity cost to this decision.

Bad clients will consume your entire life. Constant texting, emails, phone calls and revisions will have you asking yourself, "Is this really worth it?" The answer is often no -- you could have probably made the same amount of money more quickly and easily by temping / hustling on CL / doing audio transcriptions on Rev. etc..

Rule #5: Never Set Boundaries

Always get back to your clients with 10 minutes unless you are dead (or in coma). This is the best way to train clients. Now they will expect you to always be on call, like a 24/7 employee. Have a Sunday at the beach planned with your fiancee? Well forget about it, because you just got 10 'Urgent, call me!' texts and voicemails.

The equation works like this, you get paid for a few hours a week of work and the client gets someone on call 24/7. Sounds fair, right? This is why boundaries are not required.

I have let people, who I've never met in person, take over a lot of my life. I'm now in the process of buying back my life. Occasionally I still slip up. I recently had a client send me a 'bonus' (which they have done in the past). I said thanks, but then after I spent the money, they then tell me it was actually pre-payment for a project they wanted done. I should have just said I couldn't do it, and sent back the money. But instead, I basically accepted a fixed-price project that is a huge headache and time suck. I'm still regretting this one...

------

I'm sure there's many more rules I could come up with, but this is a good start if you're looking to go broke fast!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Excellent post, rep+

Rule #1: Never pay your estimated quarterly taxes
This one is simply. If you get paid $1,000 from a client, then you have $1,000 to spend on necessities like food and rent. Don't worry about your tax bill until April comes. Sure you may have a $17,000 tax burden

This needs repeating. So you're jumping on the bed excited about making $10K? Better save $3,000-$4K--- the IRS bill comes months later and if you don't have it, expect trouble.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Thankfully I already went to workshops on basic business that covered all that last year and they were free. I suppose I'm slow sometimes because I do my research first, but like you said, it saves you time, money, and prepares you for making the same mistakes.

Imgal

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Aug 9, 2015
Rule #5: Never Set Boundaries

Always get back to your clients with 10 minutes unless you are dead (or in coma). This is the best way to train clients. Now they will expect you to always be on call, like a 24/7 employee. Have a Sunday at the beach planned with your fiancee? Well forget about it, because you just got 10 'Urgent, call me!' texts and voicemails.

The equation works like this, you get paid for a few hours a week of work and the client gets someone on call 24/7. Sounds fair, right? This is why boundaries are not required.

I have let people, who I've never met in person, take over a lot of my life. I'm now in the process of buying back my life. Occasionally I still slip up. I recently had a client send me a 'bonus' (which they have done in the past). I said thanks, but then after I spent the money, they then tell me it was actually pre-payment for a project they wanted done. I should have just said I couldn't do it, and sent back the money. But instead, I basically accepted a fixed-price project that is a huge headache and time suck. I'm still regretting this one...

Wow, that one reads like a page out of my past life as a broke freelancer. I would add it's also important to make sure you have absolutely no filters on the type of person you take on as a client. If they seem like they're going to be a hassle and want a whole lot of something for nothing then don't work to filter them out or educate before you start. This will ensure you can not only end up in the minus figures concerning payment for your work, but you'll also have set up the perfect "Poor me, I'm a victim in all this" scenario for yourself.

Good god past me makes me cringe!

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
"Poor me, I'm a victim in all this" scenario for yourself.
And you will be sure talk to me and accuse me of victim blaming. lol

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Similarly to Rule #1, not having a budget.

I ran out of money last year freelancing after doing what I thought was 'striking gold' and outsourcing a fair bit of my work. I spent all my money in 2 months and then I ran out of clients. I also had the previous year's tax bill + a penalty that I had to pay, because I was an idiot.

So a general rule: put half away for taxes (half is an overestimation of course, depending on where you live, but consider it like getting a tax refund after paying your bill), budget the other half, and save as much as possible. You might not owe quarterly payments if you don't make 'regular job' money.

Also, keep good books in case you get audited.

You make excellent points. Bad clients will waste your time and your sanity. And for what? I find that it tends to be the lower paying clients who are like that, although I've had higher paying clients who were annoying, too. Sometimes a retainer gig turns into a 'someone on call at all times' kind of thing that is barely worth the money.

Most of the time, you'll wait a while before you see any money after you start... just because Paypal is holding your money for 21 days. Or maybe they froze your account because a client paid you $10k and Paypal wasn't expecting that. Online freelancing platforms will hold your money for nearly 2 months in some cases. A check made out to you takes 3-5 days to deposit, and several days to reach you in the mail. A big project will sometimes demand Net 30 after completion.

Basically, freelancing comes with its own pains and for most people, a regular job is a better option for raising capital to build a business.

HAL

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Jul 23, 2015
Wow, that one reads like a page out of my past life as a broke freelancer. I would add it's also important to make sure you have absolutely no filters on the type of person you take on as a client. If they seem like they're going to be a hassle and want a whole lot of something for nothing then don't work to filter them out or educate before you start. This will ensure you can not only end up in the minus figures concerning payment for your work, but you'll also have set up the perfect "Poor me, I'm a victim in all this" scenario for yourself.

Good god past me makes me cringe!

Yes, trust me I've made every mistake a freelancer could make in the last 15 years. I'm pretty sure I'm not really cut out to freelance from a personality standpoint even though I would consider my actual work / portfolio to be top notch.

I noticed I had the same problem with roommates in the past. They paid late, if at all. They ate my food in the fridge. They never took out the trash or did the dishes (because I always did). But ... they loved me! To them, I was the greatest roommate ever. This is what my clients think of me, greatest freelancer ever!

HAL

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Jul 23, 2015
Most of the time, you'll wait a while before you see any money after you start... just because Paypal is holding your money for 21 days. Or maybe they froze your account because a client paid you $10k and Paypal wasn't expecting that. Online freelancing platforms will hold your money for nearly 2 months in some cases. A check made out to you takes 3-5 days to deposit, and several days to reach you in the mail. A big project will sometimes demand Net 30 after completion.

Basically, freelancing comes with its own pains and for most people, a regular job is a better option for raising capital to build a business.

The worst clients I have ever had were the ones where I had to ask about invoicing. We would settle on a weekly rate early on and then they would do this passive-agressive thing where they would never ever bring up how and when I was to get paid. They would literally hope I would never ask about getting paid. And then when I would ask how to invoice after working several weeks, I would wait another three weeks for a check (that was being cut by the guys wife). I was basically racking up debt and subsidizing their business.

STswiss

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Aug 16, 2015
Switzerland
As I work with a lot of freelancers, it is great to see how it looks from this angle! Over the past few years I hired a lot of people via Elance, now upwork and other platforms. I always arranged monthly payments or milestones. Problem with paying people upfront is that some lose the motivation to keep on working. The upside is, that you can build really strong relationships with experts you can trust. One of the freelancers from Ukraine is working fulltime for me now and I had the chance to visit him this year. It brings for both sides pros and cons, but if you agree on important points from beginning, you will experience a great collaboration!

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Alexander3

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 22, 2015
Ukraine
As I work with a lot of freelancers, it is great to see how it looks from this angle! Over the past few years I hired a lot of people via Elance, now upwork and other platforms. I always arranged monthly payments or milestones. Problem with paying people upfront is that some lose the motivation to keep on working. The upside is, that you can build really strong relationships with experts you can trust. One of the freelancers from Ukraine is working fulltime for me now and I had the chance to visit him this year. It brings for both sides pros and cons, but if you agree on important points from beginning, you will experience a great collaboration!

As for me, paying upfront is not about motivation but valuing my time and efforts. I can see whether the client is serious about the project and spent time, both his and mine, or not.

STswiss

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Aug 16, 2015
Switzerland
As for me, paying upfront is not about motivation but valuing my time and efforts. I can see whether the client is serious about the project and spent time, both his and mine, or not.
Valuing each other is important to me as well, but there is no freelancer out there who will use me as his personal bank again. That was of course my fault and I learned my lesson.

HAL

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Jul 23, 2015

Milestones / monthly payments are great and you sound like a good client. Upwork hourly has also been very good for me as a freelancer -- getting paid weekly is very helpful (even with the 10% fees). I would rather get 90% of the money today than 100% 3 months from now. My bills come monthly.

My problem clients have always been people who I have worked for in the past, have a new big project that they want me to start right away, but don't want to pay until halfway through a job or until it is over (ie. they get paid by their client).

When my client gets paid should not affect when I get paid. I also used to hire crews and I always made sure that they were paid promptly because I know how bad it feels to have to go to someone with your hands out asking about when you're going to get paid.

shubham525

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jul 16, 2015
India
If you want to save taxes work from here in India , I am not going to pay a penny. I don't know how it goes there but here .
1. show fake income by other family members.
2. CA ( charted accountant ) file your returns, There are just too many ways here.

Even tax people never pay attention to peeps unless we are talking about millions.

HAL

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Jul 23, 2015
If you want to save taxes work from here in India , I am not going to pay a penny. I don't know how it goes there but here .
1. show fake income by other family members.
2. CA ( charted accountant ) file your returns, There are just too many ways here.

Even tax people never pay attention to peeps unless we are talking about millions.

Not quite that easy -- if you're a U.S. citizen you pay taxes on income earned worldwide. The IRS is also very smart, they even know how to audit cash based businesses like hot dog vendors. Oh yeah, they can also empty out you're bank account if you owe them money.

shubham525

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jul 16, 2015
India
Not quite that easy -- if you're a U.S. citizen you pay taxes on income earned worldwide. The IRS is also very smart, they even know how to audit cash based businesses like hot dog vendors. Oh yeah, they can also empty out you're bank account if you owe them money.
Yeah it is hard there, but I guess a little easy in developing countries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.