The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

20 YR OLDS pay attention!

D

DeletedUser394

Skimmed the article and bookmarked it, going to read it in the morning. I'm definitely afraid of using the phone, as sad as that might sound. Essentially why I didn't call you today and emailed instead. It's gotten better (my heart used to race) but still not acceptable.

kyled427

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Jun 19, 2013
Skimmed the article and bookmarked it, going to read it in the morning. I'm definitely afraid of using the phone, as sad as that might sound. Essentially why I didn't call you today and emailed instead. It's gotten better (my heart used to race) but still not acceptable.

Not to be one to pitch something that others may consider "hippy propaganda" or the like, but consider some supplements as well as meditation. It can really work wonders if you have "social anxiety" or get really nervous about conducting business on the phone or in person.

PM me if you want any help with that sort of thing.. I'm not the most knowledgable person on it, but can certainly point you in the right direction.

D

DeletedUser394

Not to be one to pitch something that others may consider "hippy propaganda" or the like, but consider some supplements as well as meditation. It can really work wonders if you have "social anxiety" or get really nervous about conducting business on the phone or in person.

PM me if you want any help with that sort of thing.. I'm not the most knowledgable person on it, but can certainly point you in the right direction.

My guess would be that the easiest way to get over it would be to just use the phone more. But thanks.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Nosferatu

Marketing Wizard
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Mar 7, 2013
Long Island, New York
Time is Not a Limitless Commodity – I so rarely find young professionals that have a heightened sense of urgency to get to the next level. In our 20s we think we have all the time in the world to A) figure it out and B) get what we want. Time is the only treasure we start off with in abundance, and can never get back. Make the most of the opportunities you have today, because there will be a time when you have no more of it.

This a million times.

I feel like this is the only difference between me and other people in my circles.

I have that fire and sense of urgency on a daily basis. I've felt this way everyday since reading TMF . Everyday im waking up, making moves, trying to make things work.

Great article :)

Thanks for the link

kyled427

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Jun 19, 2013
My guess would be that the easiest way to get over it would be to just use the phone more. But thanks.

Not sure if you intended for that to come across as condescending since there is no tone with text, but if you did then you should reevaluate how you approach someone only offering to help you, whether you agree with their method or not.

If you didn't intend it to come across as arrogant then I apologize.

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013

Capture.PNG

maybe at 195/Mph you're running too fast :driving:

D

DeletedUser394

Not sure if you intended for that to come across as condescending since there is no tone with text, but if you did then you should reevaluate how you approach someone only offering to help you, whether you agree with their method or not.

If you didn't intend it to come across as arrogant then I apologize.

Nope, not trying to be condescending. No need to apologize either.

PaulRobert

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 15, 2009
New Jersey
"Pick Up the Phone – Stop hiding behind your computer. Business gets done on the phone and in person. It should be your first instinct, not last, to talk to a real person and source business opportunities. And when the Internet goes down… stop looking so befuddled and don’t ask to go home. Don’t be a pansy, pick up the phone."

Same with Ryan. I get the biggest anxiety before making a call. I made a call today to a potential business and probably practiced for 20 min straight before actually making the call. The person wasn't there so I left a voicemail. I made sure not to speed talk and take my time.

What I've seen work for me is to have a piece of gum in your mouth. This stops actually stops me from talking at a 100 miles a minute.

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
I get it. :) I'm not usually a big fan of Forbes articles, but this one is spot on for the most part. Especially this part:

You HAVE to Build Your Technical Chops –
Adding “Proficient in Microsoft Office” at the bottom of your resume under Skills, is not going to cut it anymore. I immediately give preference to candidates who are ninjas in: Photoshop, HTML/CSS, iOS, WordPress, Adwords, MySQL, Balsamiq, advanced Excel, Final Cut Pro – regardless of their job position. If you plan to stay gainfully employed, you better complement that humanities degree with some applicable technical chops.

In almost ANY business venture, accumulated technical skills will assist you greatly. I don't know where I would be if I didn't know the basics of web design, HTML/CSS/PHP, SEO, and paid advertising. Yeah I do, not in the Fastlane.

Paul, the gum definitely does help, especially after too much coffee.

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
"Pick Up the Phone – Stop hiding behind your computer. Business gets done on the phone and in person. It should be your first instinct, not last, to talk to a real person and source business opportunities. And when the Internet goes down… stop looking so befuddled and don’t ask to go home. Don’t be a pansy, pick up the phone."

Same with Ryan. I get the biggest anxiety before making a call. I made a call today to a potential business and probably practiced for 20 min straight before actually making the call. The person wasn't there so I left a voicemail. I made sure not to speed talk and take my time.

What I've seen work for me is to have a piece of gum in your mouth. This stops actually stops me from talking at a 100 miles a minute.

I'm glad you two both brought this up. It's definitely something that I need to work on too. Doing lots of deals off of Craigslist has taught me that you can buy/sell items a whole lot faster if you just give someone a call as opposed to shooting off an email. It's a business technique where the old fashioned way is much more powerful than the new electronic way. I've probably missed out on a lot by not taking advantage of this.

Your gum tip sounds like it would work, have to try that out. Also- heard this somewhere else, make/take calls while standing up. If possible, walk around. Even if you have to write down notes, do it standing up. This has helped me out a TON. Makes you feel much more authoritative.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
The hardest part for me is getting the phone number to the person I want to speak to.

PaulRobert

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 15, 2009
New Jersey
If possible, walk around. Even if you have to write down notes, do it standing up

LOL! If I'm home and making an important call I'll start pacing in my room and when I'm done I'll wind up in a different part of the house and be like WTH am I doing here?

The hardest part for me is getting the phone number to the person I want to speak to.

Really? That is the easiest. As Zen said, practice.

angelique

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
May 9, 2011
Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas
Re: Phone Anxiety

Practice helps.

But it might be good to practice when there's nothing at stake. It will ease some of the pressure if you have major phone anxiety.

What might help is to practice calling someone who is not your target, right before. I've done this with job interviews.

I would practice with a company that intrigued me, but that I wasn't very attached to.

Physically getting some of that energy out helps, too.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
I guess part of my problem is why the F am I going to call them? Why would they listen to me? What do I have to offer.

Perhaps, I need to think about this a little more. I'd rather grind through Internet Marketing than make phone calls I guess, and in the 40+ emails I've shot out I've gotten maybe 5 responses.

Picking up the phone just may be the way to go.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
What do I have to offer.

I think this answers your question. What do you have to offer to benefit someone else. What value can you offer that will perpetuate that individual or their business.

If you can't clearly answer this question prior to picking up the phone then you will just make a fool out of yourself and waste both your time.

I struggled with this when I tried to find a partner.

There are WAY too many people out there that think they deserve the benefits of other people without actually being of value to them first.
The result? They get told to get lost. They get the cold shoulder.

James Altucher did a good job of explaining it. Offer an idea on how they can improve their business or life.

Do some prior research before hand about their life of business and see how you can be of value.

The Entrepreneur must improve, benefit, add value to others before he himself is improved, benefited and valued in the form of partnerships, help or money.

D

DeletedUser2

Picking up the phone just may be the way to go.

even if you make a mess of things.

F*cking up.
thats part of it.

then you get over it.
then you stop F*cking up.
then

you get better.

you cant get better UNTIL you start F*cking it up.

Better start now, because time is still passing you by.....

Z

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA

F*cking up.
thats part of it.

then you get over it.
then

you get better.

Agreed.

The best way to conquer fear is to just do it so you can prove to yourself just how ridiculous the belief and fear was.

Fear is just your imagination getting out of hand. Anything in your imagination does not exist nor does it make it true.

Sir Ingenious

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 15, 2012
Sharpen yourself like you would sharpen iron.

Master yourself like you would master a sword.

With a sharp sword and a sense of mastery, get in position to strike like a warrior.

As you strike, wipe away those sweat of fear but keep your brave spirit alive from within.

When you position yourself like a warrior, you will be perceived like a warrior. And therefore, you will be recruited by others as a warrior.

And then conquer the world like a warrior.

However, it takes a lot of guts to become a warrior since you can die on the field at any time. Nonetheless, we are all warriors, no matter what era it is. Gotta have that mentality to conquer life and win or we lose and get beaten by life. It all starts with your spirit, not your mind or body, but your spirit. Your body and mind can be filled with poison that is fear but your spirit can cleanse it and burn with passion.

Just gotta have it in you to call yourself a warrior and act accordingly, regardless of circumstance.

jpa0827

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Feb 13, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio

F*cking up.
thats part of it.

then you get over it.
then

you get better.

Z

I completely agree with this. In fact, I grew up working for my family's construction company, but decided that selling and getting over the fear of cold calls and making contacts was something I would need to learn in order to be successful in business. This was something that I couldn't learn working in construction. With that said I decided to go out and get a job selling business insurance, because I knew it was tough to sell and I would have to make a ton cold calls on the phone and in person. As scary as that was, it has been a great growth experience. It also was a hard decision because my pay was cut in half.

As zen******* said, you will F*ck up. But you will get over it and realize the person on the other end is just another human being. Practice is what it really takes. My first time cold calling it took me 4 hours to make 10 calls that lasted about 30 seconds each. I was scared out of my mind. Now, you could put me in a room and I don't even need to put down the phone. I'll make 80-100 calls a day. It's not fun, but when I was first starting out it was necessary.

You have to do what it takes no matter what. I'm no expert, but as a newbie on the forum that's the experience and knowledge that I feel is valuable to share. Eventually you will go numb to any rejections.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I'd rather grind through Internet Marketing than make phone calls I guess,

At every company I've worked for in sales I keep seeing deal after deal spin around and around for months and months that finally gets closed in minutes because a manager saw the bullshit email chain and said "oh F*ck this" and picked up the phone.

I've seen it happen on $10 deals. I've seen it happen on $100k deals.

The phone works, even if all you have to start with is "Hey, tried looking you up, got frustrated after 10 minutes and said 'the hell with this' and gave you a call, hahaha, (point of the call here)".

HarryR

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
May 21, 2013
NC, USA or traveling
LOL! If I'm home and making an important call I'll start pacing in my room and when I'm done I'll wind up in a different part of the house and be like WTH am I doing here?

glad im not the only one lol

MorgothBauglir

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Dec 23, 2013
They put the most important point first.

Time is Not a Limitless Commodity

As soon as I became really mindful of this, and realized that I WILL be on my deathbed one day, things started to come together. I keep this in mind in everything I do now. Is what I am doing a good use of my time? Productivity sky rockets.

Torrey

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jan 5, 2012
Ive learned that if i have resistance to something, it means i need to do it more. If i dont want to call someone on the phone, i call someone on the phone. Dont want to go out and meet girls? I go out and meet girls. You carry this mentality with you your whole life, your comfort zone increases day by day, you got very little to fear.

rcdlopez

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Nov 12, 2012
Los Angeles
I don't agree with the following points:

I so rarely find young professionals that have a heightened sense of urgency to get to the next level. In our 20s we think we have all the time in the world to A) figure it out and B) get what we want

Probably about 75% of every young person I know has TOO MUCH sense of urgency. They are all trying to get their degrees in as short amount of time as possible. They all tried to move out of home too soon (I'm talking 15, 16yrs old). They all had kids too soon, got married too soon. It's like everyone can't wait to grow up.

We’re More Productive in the Morning
Hell NO (at least not me). Even when I had a job and got up at 4am I still wasn't a morning person. For the first 2hrs of my day its nothing but brain fog for me. I tried being a morning person and it was just counter productive.

Be the First In & Last to Leave
Not every employer allows you to do this. I used to get shit all the time from one employer because they didn't want to pay overtime. They had overtime policies. I almost got fired for staying too long.

It takes about 2-3 years to master any new critical skill
Depends on the skill.

Merging Left

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 20, 2014
Be the First In & Last to Leave
Not every employer allows you to do this. I used to get shit all the time from one employer because they didn't want to pay overtime. They had overtime policies. I almost got fired for staying too long.
I think it's safe to assume that the author of that article is addressing salaried employees. If it were an hourly position, the idea would be to try to accomplish twice as much as anybody else in the maximum amount of time that you have... although I suppose you should be doing that anyway ;)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.