The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

17 year old becoming location independent

G

GuestUser116

Ciao, I am a 17 year old dude living in the U.S. I want to be location independent asap. My aim right now isn't to make millions. It's not even to make thousands. My aim is to make $600-800 /month.

What would I do with only $600-800 /month? I'd be wealthy. I'd be wealthy in a poor country. I'm talking about eastern Europe, south-east Asia, and south America. Cities where rent is $200-400 for a 1 room apartment.

So, I welcome you to propose ways of becoming location independent. Any ideas? Plans? Not looking to earn bank but to earn $600-800. Keep in mind, I'm 17.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Use the forum search, SSDD

rcdlopez

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Nov 12, 2012
Los Angeles

I lived in Argentina for about a month and a half. I guess its more of a stay than actually living but $800 a month is $25 per day. You can live off $25 per day but why would you want to? It's not fun and you're not rich even by South American standards. Aim higher!:greedy::greedy::greedy::greedy::greedy:

G

GuestUser116

I lived in Argentina for about a month and a half. I guess its more of a stay than actually living but $800 a month is $25 per day. You can live off $25 per day but why would you want to? It's not fun and you're not rich even by South American standards. Aim higher!:greedy::greedy::greedy::greedy::greedy:
The plan is to start with $600-800 /month and build up my income.

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
The plan is to start with $600-800 /month and build up my income.
You start with the first dollar. You don't start with the first $600.
My current situation after taxes, health ins, mandatory 401k... I make about $900 a month. This is liken living paycheck to paycheck.
You can't really do anything on $800 a month. You really have to budget to make it work.
Lets do the math here.
Rent- $400
Food- $100 - $200
Vehicle- Varies, gas and repairs
Phone bill - $50-$80 for a single line, this doubles as a computer to save on internet fees

When it's all said and done, you really can't do anything.

If you can, why not live rent free for a while. Stack your cash while you're building an asset.

G

GuestUser116

Can't do anything on $800 /month? You can live decently for $300 /month in Bangkok.

Forget that though. I made this thread to get ideas on starting a location independent business as a 17 year old.

G

GuestUser116

You can't really do anything on $800 a month.

Can't do anything on $800 /month? You can live decently for $300 /month in Bangkok.

Forget that though. I made this thread to get ideas on starting a location independent business as a 17 year old.

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
to get ideas on starting a location independent business
You're not going to find someone who's going to say, do this and you will make $800/month guaranteed.

The only ones who do that are IM hucksters. Everyone here who is making money is self-made aside from mentors helping them. This means they didn't have someone do the research and say "this is a good market to get into, you should do it".

If you can afford it, read The Millionaire Fastlane . Then read all gold threads. Read anything IceCreamKid, zen*******, vigilante, JasonR or Biophase put out. This is not an end all be all list. Their are countless others you can read too. This is more of a quick start guide.

As for that guy, he is living in Thailand. Thailand is a 3rd world country that just went through a coup. His life could be ended for any reason.
I don't think I'd want to live where the government can just say "time to purge all xyz people" and kill them.
Or a terrorist group could kidnap him at anytime.

Here is a list of warnings for Thailand in particular.

Gitrokr

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Feb 17, 2014
You could offer services on one of the many outsourcing sites online.

Do you currently have any computer or internet related skills?

Web design, illustration, copywriting, editorial layout, book cover design, poster design, power point design, video editing, voice overs, etc, etc.

sle3pyguii

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Aug 19, 2012
You might wana look up lifestyle businesses on google. This forum is probably not the best place to research them as most of the advice here is geared toward regular businesses rather than lifestyle ones.

drilonnn

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Mar 2, 2014
Ciao, I am a 17 year old dude living in the U.S. I want to be location independent asap. My aim right now isn't to make millions. It's not even to make thousands. My aim is to make $600-800 /month.

What would I do with only $600-800 /month? I'd be wealthy. I'd be wealthy in a poor country. I'm talking about eastern Europe, south-east Asia, and south America. Cities where rent is $200-400 for a 1 room apartment.

So, I welcome you to propose ways of becoming location independent. Any ideas? Plans? Not looking to earn bank but to earn $600-800. Keep in mind, I'm 17.
With that mind of yours you won't reach that sum a month. Firstly you need to research before saying that eastern europe is poor. With $800 you are called poor here not rich. You cant even buy a car if u save up for 2 years. Here in eastern europe people drive cars and live 10x better than you people in US.
Better go to Africa if you want to live rich with than income a month.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
I lived a year and a half in Thailand on $800 a month, and thats eating in restaurants both day and night and going out every Sat night. Apartments are like $100 a month and there are hardly any taxes and no gas bills.

So how to get the location independant income without freelancing? Software business or some kind of website.

Brentnal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Jan 23, 2013
Netherlands/Sidewalk
I lived a year and a half in Thailand on $800 a month, and thats eating in restaurants both day and night and going out every Sat night. Apartments are like $100 a month and there are hardly any taxes and no gas bills.

So how to get the location independant income without freelancing? Software business or some kind of website.

Already living the good life, why get millions? hahaha

Marvinyo

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Apr 1, 2014
Bloomington, MN
I'd recommend taking the internet marketing route, so start looking into using Amazon's affiliate program or CPA networks. You could also do some freelancing, web design/dev, start a service, or graphic design. It's easy money.
You'd think $600-800 is a lot, it's not. It's more than likely 1/3rd of your plane ticket cost to wherever you plan on living. I'm 17 as well, making a considerable amount online, more than the average adult.

Napoolion

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Feb 8, 2014
600$ or 800$ is really not much in Eastern Europe. Atleast in Estonia. Sure, you can somehow live with it... It's less that what people get average here. Average income here is 1 283$, taxes included.

G

GuestUser116

Here in eastern europe people drive cars and live 10x better than you people in US.
Haha, I grew up in Eastern Europe. Romania, Moldova, Bulgaria, Greece, and in more countries rent is $200-400.

I'm 17 as well, making a considerable amount online, more than the average adult.
And how do you make a "considerable amount online"?

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
And how do you make a "considerable amount online"?

600-800/month? Don't even sweat it, it'll be easy.

Tell me what skills you have, what you think you can do, what connections you have? Maybe I can help find you something

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
I think I can write about bodybuilding. I signed up on oDesk as a writer, going to see how that goes.

Do you know how to set up a website? You can make money just by doing that.

Check out the video under step 4: https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/learnt-copywriting-this-is-the-next-step.51029/

Very simple, you can easily carve out $1000-$1500 a month by banging out 3-4 websites a month.

If you can learn photoshop, takes about a 4-5 days to learn it, you can make an extra $500-1000 helping people with their logos, banners, etc.

Remember, focus on helping people first. Give first, then get. That's how it works. Just help people, they will reciprocate.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

GuestUser116

Do you know how to set up a website? You can make money just by doing that.
Check out the video under step 4: https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/learnt-copywriting-this-is-the-next-step.51029/
Very simple, you can easily carve out $1000-$1500 a month by banging out 3-4 websites a month.
If you can learn photoshop, takes about a 4-5 days to learn it, you can make an extra $500-1000 helping people with their logos, banners, etc.
I know how to setup a website. How would I make money by "banging out 3-4 sites a month"?

you can make an extra $500-1000 helping people with their logos, banners, etc.
Clients from freelancing sites?

Last edited by a moderator:

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
I know how to setup a website. How would I make money by "banging out 3-4 sites a month"?

Create logos for your own company, go on craiglist.com, create and ad and say that you will design a website for $100.
Post ad on as many cities as your can.

You will definitely find people who need help with their website.
Help some people on the forum for free, if you do a good job, people will send you clients, and more work.

This is just one way. It's just about helping people, if you help them, they will help you.

CashFlowDepot

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
May 16, 2009
Central America
Last year I wrote a little ebooklet called Fund Your Life Overseas - it is free on my web site or 99 cents on amazon. It has a lot of ideas about how to make a good living while living overseas - even a portable income

see http://panamarelocationtours.com/fund-your-life-overseas

I live in Panama. In Panama City, you'd have a hard time making it on $800 a month unless you shared an apartment with someone else. Even then, you'd spend $400 - $500 for a place to live. That price includes all utilities. If you shop at the farmer's markets food is much cheaper than the fancy grocery stores like Riba Smith.

Ecuador is much cheaper. You can get a 1 bedroom house for $200 a month. They do have 14% sales tax but if you don't buy much it is not a big deal.

Keep in mind the visa rules. Some countries you can only stay 3-6 months. Then you will need to move on or get a residency visa which will cost you a couple tousand dollars. Some visas lead to a second passport.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.