The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

17 y/o New Yorker Checking In

LogicIsReal

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Sep 21, 2014
Hey everyone,

Just registered to the forum after lurking for a little while. I'm 17 years old, from New York, and looking to digest as much information as possible before heading to college next year. My goal is to go to California and do something tech-related (exactly what, I'm not sure) as I've always been a tech guy.

For the majority of my life, I've been going to and from school, spending a lot of my free time playing video games. And I mean a LOT of free time. However, during this past summer, my gaming crave just suddenly ended. I still played, but I felt like I could be doing something better with my time. This is when I started reading...a ton. First I was reading for fun (things like Tucker Max) but then I got interested in self-help, business and things that will simply help me in life. During this time is when I read the Millionaire Fastlane .

DeMarco's book was just the icing on the cake of my gaming skepticism; time is of the essence. His words on time were powerful, as I realized that gaming was probably the dumbest possible thing I could've used it on. At least if you wait in line for a bucket of chicken, you'll get some food! But what do you get with gaming? 10th Prestige? A level 90 character? High rankings on the leaderboards? NOTHING, thats what. None of that crap matters.

With that being said, I am grateful that I came across this book early in my life, and I will continue reading to improve myself. I hope I will learn a lot of great things from you guys and eventually be able to give back

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

NetNinja

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Jun 18, 2013
Welcome to the site!

Wasup homey! I grew up in New Jorky and I was so glad I left when I did. Never looked back and was the best decision I made in my life.
When you live in a great melting pot of a city you get to learn about a lot of cultures and that can be beneficial.

I wish I had seen this site when I was 17 but back then we were using Campbell soup cans and string to communicate to each other.
If you stayed on this site for 10 years I am sure you will find your calling and ready to tackle the world.

Don't ever stop learning and find the recommended books thread and start reading those. This will start to fine tune your thinking and mental attitude. The things they should have taught you in school but didn't. it will develop your attitude, learn how to deal with different people and change your way of thinking. "Word to the wise, don't start using this stuff on your family, they love you and they did the best they can on what they knew at the time, but you can't convince anyone who is not willing to change." The only person that can change is you and your mental attitude.

Otherwise you will become that famous rapper who never smiles and always has a scowl on his face all the time.
Or worse you become that famous boxer who made 300 million or something close to that and now has to live small time otherwise he will have to do bit parts in movies to pay rent. Oh wait he is doing that now! ;)

Stay away from those video games. The World of Warcraft almost turned me into a female Blood Elf! Nasty preciouses they are!

Writer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Aug 26, 2014
Texas. (Mars during summer)
But what do you get with gaming? 10th Prestige? A level 90 character? High rankings on the leaderboards? NOTHING, thats what. None of that crap matters.

Gaming is a waste of time, but I "challenge" you to look back and find something useful that gaming taught you.
For example, I used to be a big gamer and by playing graphic adventures (Monkey Island, Zak McKracken, Indiana Jones and the fate of Atlantis and many more) I learned English and some basic computer skills (w/ DOS). Granted, the return wasn't enough to justify the time I spent on it, but hey, something is better than nought.

Harestock09

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Sep 22, 2014
Hey everyone,

Just registered to the forum after lurking for a little while. I'm 17 years old, from New York, and looking to digest as much information as possible before heading to college next year. My goal is to go to California and do something tech-related (exactly what, I'm not sure) as I've always been a tech guy.

For the majority of my life, I've been going to and from school, spending a lot of my free time playing video games. And I mean a LOT of free time. However, during this past summer, my gaming crave just suddenly ended. I still played, but I felt like I could be doing something better with my time. This is when I started reading...a ton. First I was reading for fun (things like Tucker Max) but then I got interested in self-help, business and things that will simply help me in life. During this time is when I read the Millionaire Fastlane .

DeMarco's book was just the icing on the cake of my gaming skepticism; time is of the essence. His words on time were powerful, as I realized that gaming was probably the dumbest possible thing I could've used it on. At least if you wait in line for a bucket of chicken, you'll get some food! But what do you get with gaming? 10th Prestige? A level 90 character? High rankings on the leaderboards? NOTHING, thats what. None of that crap matters.

With that being said, I am grateful that I came across this book early in my life, and I will continue reading to improve myself. I hope I will learn a lot of great things from you guys and eventually be able to give back

Hi!

I'm new to this scene too, and also on the younger side of things.

Do you have any plans or ideas for what you want to do? Reading is great, don't get me wrong, but action is even better!

David

gostorm21

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Sep 9, 2014
Welcome to the Fastlane!

I'm by no means a seasoned pro, but from my short time here I've found that it's a great idea to start browsing the threads and find out who the "big dogs" are in each field (SEO, ecommerce, social media marketing, etc). Once you start to associate names with specialities, finding advice on a particular topic becomes much easier. I would also love to hear what you hope to accomplish and why now that you've stepped out of the Slowlane. And, most importantly, how are you going to do it? :)

Best of luck to you!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Think of life as one big video game. Instead of "leveling up" or scoring points in a fake game, try scoring freedom points in the real game.

Welcome aboard.

Last edited:

Royael

Student of Life
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Sep 22, 2014
Hey - good luck on your journey!

Just one little tip from me (I'm also pretty close to your age): Don't reinvent the wheel (you have heard that probably lots of times but still, its the biggest mistake I see from people who want to get into this whole tech business). Just keep copying and improving whats already there and you will be fine :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...