The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

$120k per person for my new Ultimate Adventure trip - how to market online??

Marketing, social media, advertising
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 24, 2015
Hi
In 2011 i sailed across the Pacific Ocean - truly a life-changing experience that very few people will ever get the chance to do - Since then its been my dream to create a Trans Pacific Ocean Adventure trip. The ultimate adventure trip !
  • 8 months island hopping Trans-Pacific Ocean adventure sailing trip
  • Sail 12,000 Nautical Miles across the Largest Ocean on the Planet
  • Unique & bespoke trail blazing trip
  • Bust your Bucket List
  • Only 4 places available
  • Make a difference to the Pacific Islands & people on the journey- $10,000 set aside for Make a Difference Mission
  • No experience necessary
  • Don’t be a day-dreamer… be a DO-Dreamer!
  • Start Date – January 2017 – Apply Now

I launched my website 2 days ago and am starting an inbound marketing strategy. A friend of mine who is a successful web guru/traveler/adventurer recommended this website and that i put a post on to ask your advice on how to market this trip online perhaps with affiliates. I have scope to offer commissions to do this..

Thanks
Scott

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
Hi
In 2011 i sailed across the Pacific Ocean - truly a life-changing experience that very few people will ever get the chance to do - Since then its been my dream to create a Trans Pacific Ocean Adventure trip. The ultimate adventure trip !
  • Bust your Bucket List
  • Make a difference to the Pacific Islands & people on the journey- $10,000 set aside for Make a Difference Mission

I launched my website 2 days ago and am starting an inbound marketing strategy. A friend of mine who is a successful web guru/traveler/adventurer recommended this website and that i put a post on to ask your advice on how to market this trip online perhaps with affiliates. I have scope to offer commissions to do this..

Thanks
Scott

I couldn't resist. @theag

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
C'mon, he's asking FIRST how to promote it, not necessarily advertising it (no links were posted). A fine line was walked here so lets give some latitude.

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
Hard to market, even to successful retired entrepreneurs.... chances are they have a family or friends that they dont want to leave for 8 months... Personally I would be interested in a 2-3 month trip and then if you had them going year round where I could pick and choose from, potentially even bundling 8 months together that would be more valuable IMO

SmilingFrog

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Sep 23, 2015
Hi
  • Bust your Bucket List

Thanks
Scott

I see multiple issues associated with this idea:

• The time frame is far too extensive for somebody to be able to commit. 8 Months is almost a year and for most people it is a big deal. Especially being apart from their families and friends. Pretty much what Gale said. What you could do instead have multiple 1-2 month trips in a year, all of which are different from one another, and offer say 5% off every time you go on a trip. This way you will get continuous buyers and appeal to a larger market.
  • Now what will happen if the synergy of the group does not work out? What happens if people don't like one another, then they will be stuck together for the time frame of the journey, how would you handle this risk?
  • How would you handle finding clients which have that kind of money AND have the time. People with that kind of money are usually time poor and cannot leave their business for that long?

I think the best option would be to reduce the trips down to 1-2 months and reduce the price as well, at the same time maybe have 5-8 spaces or so. I think that will be a better option for you, hope I helped out.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
There are a lot of yachting companies that offer trips like this, but in 1-2 week packages so you dont have to commit for the full time. Margins are razor thin in this business though.

The difference between them and you is that your pricepoint is a pipedream.

For comparison, the clipper round the world race costs 75k for a full ride. Takes a year.

I'm a sailor myself and am thinking about doing an atlantic crossing (northern route from newfoundland to uk) next year. Problem is that although my business is location independent and 95% outsourced, I still have to some work myself. So generally working from yachts isnt a problem, but 20+ days nonstop without internet on the atlantic is still a bit of a challenge. Hope to find a way to make it work.

Gotta keep up the grind to finance my own VOR team soon ;)

Last edited:

Supa

Came for the $. Stayed for the Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
There are a lot of yachting companies that offer trips like this, but in 1-2 week packages so you dont have to commit for the full time. Margins are razor thin in this business though.

For comparison, the clipper round the world race costs 75k for a full ride. Takes a year.

I'm a sailor myself and am thinking about doing an atlantic crossing (northern route from newfoundland to uk) next year. Problem is that although my business is location independent and 95% outsourced, I still have to some work myself. So generally working from yachts isnt a problem, but 20+ days nonstop without internet on the atlantic is still a bit of a challenge. Hope to find a way to make it work.

a quick google search gave me this

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
a quick google search gave me this
Yea, but thats only a provider for the hardware you have on the boat. The actual internet access is via satellite, which gets very expensive very fast.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane

I know a girl who did clipper last year for only 2 or 3 months I think. She loved it, and it looks awesome (although if I'm correct you have to be seleted/apply for it and also have some sailing experience?). 2 or 3 months looked like a massive deal though, getting time off work etc.

User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 24, 2015
Thanks to for your reaction & advice!// & thanks for the welcome video @theag !! There's no doubt its an ambitious project. Busy, successful entrepreneurs are not my market - taking time out normal life for 8 months/ a year would drive the entrepreneur bonkers! !!// There's plenty of people out there that have the money but the key is finding those that can take the time!.. Its a long shot to find these people, but they are out there - maybe a major life event has happened recently and that has caused them to re-assess their life and do something remarkable:)// My problem is that at this cost and this timescale my ideal customer is one in 35 million!! (that's how many sail across the Pacific!!) So i need to get my trip out there to a lot of people!

The clipper RTW race is a good comparison - people are paying $75k to race around the world - they 18 people bunking up for a bashing on the ocean, and get to see very little of the places they sail to.
My trip offers the same adventure element with the luxury of a private yacht, private cabin, & awesome destinations to cruise

Thanks @SmilingFrog for your advice - you;re right i have t be a realist - & I have to think about stages of reducing price/format -

Stage 1 - 120k per person 4 guests - each own private cabin
Stage 2 - change to 6 guests each sharing a cabin - price reduction
Stage 3 - Split into 2 x 4 months legs - Caribbean to Tahiti. Tahiti to Australia - further price reduction
Stage 4 could be even shorter hops of 2 months

So my question to you entrepreneurs - How do i find the right internet/web guru/affiliate marketers types to get out there and sell this trip>>> I can offer an attractive commission!

Thanks for the comments
Scott

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
It's all about providing value in gradual increments.

You need to have some sort of way to provide value beforehand.

How many people purchase a house online?

Not many.

Let's face it, no consumer is pulling out their credit card and buying a $120K product of anything online.
House, car, boat, helicopter, trip, whatever.
Doesn't matter what it is.

Like a house, this is a sizable investment.

A customer must be sure, and with a very high level of desire (since the cost in time + opportunity cost + financial cost is high)
and they simply need more involvement and knowledge before they purchase.

it has to be done face-to-face.

How I would do it is,

Find target market + their main needs -> invite to some sort of free or low cost seminar/event that exemplifies those needs -> sell smaller, cheaper weekend trip to warm up people $1k-5k that solidifies those needs -> sell the $120k package as the top finale

With my limited knowledge, I assume your target market is looking for
adventure/luxury/connection/mastermind with other top business people
Most likely Male, 25-45,
over 500K in annual income

Just have to find those people and get them to an event

OR

Partner up with someone already hosting events with that target demo,
and offer your 'free/low cost event' :)

Maybe a "yacht party" or something

TL;DR
-Can't just ask for the big sale when they don't know you.
-Have to develop a value in their mind first,
-give them the idea that it will be well justified

Maxjohan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Mar 26, 2011
Stage 1 - 120k per person 4 guests - each own private cabin
Stage 2 - change to 6 guests each sharing a cabin - price reduction
Stage 3 - Split into 2 x 4 months legs - Caribbean to Tahiti. Tahiti to Australia - further price reduction
Stage 4 could be even shorter hops of 2 months
Stop it already!! If anything, you should increase prices instead of decrease. And create more value on top of it. Do you seriously think it matters $75k or $120k to someone with a $100 million net worth?? Take a good guess. If you fail to sell it. You either need to improve your sales skills. Or get better a targetting your audience.

Btw, Mark Cuban bought a private jet online.
http://www.bjtonline.com/business-jet-news/mark-cuban

Last edited:
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 24, 2015
It's all about providing value in gradual increments.

Thanks for your thoughts, time and great advice @Silverhawk851 :) //

For sure not many people buy high value items online *although i bought a brand new car online in 2004 - that was my very first online purchase! in the boom times!) but they do browse & research for cars, houses, boats, awesome adventure trips online..// then they go view the boat / car / house - so i see exactly how your idea of a one week trip would work- great idea and would also be good for finding out group dynamics/personalities etc

Also like your idea of seminar/event - could be an idea to combine a sailing weekend with seminar/event :)

Cheers:)

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
So my question to you entrepreneurs - How do i find the right internet/web guru/affiliate marketers types to get out there and sell this trip>>> I can offer an attractive commission!

Seriously man. Next idea.

John Robert

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Mar 19, 2014
To do an 8month timeframe and 120k/person, you would need to find a cult-like semi-religious group (sorry, but tmf doesnt nearly qualify. We see what your doing...but kudos for the gusto), or just a single wealthy individual who wants to take his family around the world for a year abroad, probably would involve homeschooling and getting to know family better. You have too much SOS for the former, so stick to the latter. Itll be easier to sell one person here either way, than 4.

EvanOkanagan

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Aug 2, 2013
Those commenting it's too expensive... if you market/sell it right there are people out there who will buy.

Take this for example:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/t...revellers-celebrate-Sydney-LA-cost-8-400.html

This company offers ONE-WAY flight from Sydney to LA so the guests can celebrate new years "twice" on a private jet. For $225,000. Even if you were to split that up with all 15 people that would be $15,000 per person for a 1-night event.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.