The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

100 MILLION DOLLARS! Or, How to Grow a Successful Internet Startup

Iwokeup

Aut viam invenium aut faciam
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
What I don't see enough on in this forum is how to grow your software to proportions beyond "six figures," which is what I see a lot of young guns around here stating as their goals. Hell, I make "six figures" now and honestly I'm thinking bigger. Like $100MM, yo. (and hell, I wonder if I'm thinking small at that)

Even Dane Maxwell's biggest success to this point (AFAIK) is Paperlesspipeline.com, which is now making $1MM per year. Which is great but I wonder how scaleable it is?

Has anyone here done this, or at least been a part of such an enterprise?

In any event, and without further ado, here's the link to Christoph Janz's post (and most excellent blog). Enjoy.

===========================================

Five ways to build a $100 million business

Some time ago my friend (and co-investor in Clio, Jobber and Unbounce) Boris Wertz wrote a great blog post about "the only 2 ways to build a $100 million business". I'd like to expand on the topic and suggest that there are five ways to build a $100 million Internet company. This doesn't mean that I disagree with Boris' article. I think our views are pretty similar, and for the most part "my" five ways are just a slightly different and more granular look at Boris' two ways.

The way I look at it can be nicely illustrated in this way:

The y-axis shows the average revenue per account (ARPA) per year. In the x-axis you can see how many customers you need, for a given ARPA, to get to $100 million in annual revenues. Both axes use a logarithmic scale.

To build a Web company with $100 million in annual revenues*, you essentially need:

• 1,000 enterprise customers paying you $100k+ per year each; or
  • 10,000 medium-sized companies paying you $10k+ per year each; or
  • 100,000 small businesses paying you $1k+ per year each; or
  • 1 million consumers or "prosumers" paying you $100+ per year each (or, in the case of eCommerce businesses, 1M customers generating $100+ in contribution margin** per year each); or
  • 10 million active consumers who you monetize at $10+ per year each by selling ads

• Salespeople sometimes refer to "elephants", "deers" and "rabbits" when they talk about the first three categories of customers. To extend the metaphor to the 4th and 5th type of customer, let's call them "mice" and "flies". So how can you hunt 1,000 elephants, 10,000 deers, 100,000 rabbits, 1,000,000 mice or 10,000,000 flies? Let's take a look at it in reverse order.

Hunting flies

In order to get to 10 million active users you need roughly 100 million people who download your app or use your website. This is of course a gross simplification, and the precise number depends on various factors like your conversion rate, how active your users are, churn, etc. But it doesn't change the take-away: To get to $100 million in ad revenues, you need dozens of millions of users. I know of only two ways to achieve that (plus one mega-outlier which breaks all rules, Google). The first one is to have a product that is inherently social and has a high viral coefficient (Instagram, Snapchat, WhatsApp). The second one is a ton of UGC (user-generated content), which leads to large amounts of SEO traffic and some level of virality. Good examples of this second option include Yelp or our portfolio company Brainly.

Hunting mice

To acquire one million consumers or prosumers who pay you roughly $100 per year, you need to get at least 10-20 million people to try your application. This is – again – a gross simplification, but I believe it's order-of-magnitude correct. To get to 10-20 million users you almost certainly need some level of virality, too – maybe not Snapchat-like virality, but some social sharing or "powered by"-virality. Great examples of this category include Evernote and MailCheat(Chimp). If you're an eCommerce business you might be able to acquire one million customers using paid marketing, but it requires huge amounts of funding.

Hunting rabbits

Most SaaS companies that target small businesses charge something around $50-100 per month, so their ARPA per year is around $1k. To acquire 100,000 of these businesses you need something in the order of 0.5-2 million trial signups, depending on your conversion rate. Let's assume that your CLTV (customer lifetime value) is $2,700 (assuming an average customer lifetime of three years and a gross margin of 90%) and that you want your CLTV to be 4x your CACs (customer acquisition costs). In that case you can spend $675 to acquire a customer. If your signup-to-paying conversion rate is 10% that means you can spend $67.50 per signup (assuming a no-touch sales model where your CACs can go entirely into lead generation).

So how can you get one million signups for less than $70 each? Most SaaS products aren't inherently viral, there usually isn't enough inventory to make paid advertising work at scale, and cold calling usually doesn't work at this ARPA level. There's no silver bullet, but the closest thing to a silver bullet is inbound marketing – besides having a fantastic product with a very high NPS (net promoter score) and being obsessively focused on funnel optimization. I've written about this in more detail in my "DOs for SaaS startups" series: Create an awesome product, Make your website your best marketing person, Fill the funnel, Build a repeatable sales process. Another option is a an OEM strategy (i.e. getting your product distributed by big partners), which can work but comes with its own challenges.

• Interestingly, hunting rabbits looks much less straightforward than hunting flies or hunting elephants. Why we have a strong focus on rabbit hunting SaaS companies nonetheless is something for another post.

Hunting deers

If you're a deer hunter and want to acquire 10,000 customers paying you $10k per year each, most of the rabbit hunting tactics still apply. An ARPA of $10k per year usually isn't enough to make traditional enterprise field sales work, and you likely still have to get 100,000 or more leads. The main difference is that when you're hunting deers you can use an inside sales force to close leads, potentially also to generate leads. It also means that you can pay VARs and channel partners an attractive commission, although I've rarely seen this work in SaaS.

SaaS companies sometimes start as rabbit hunters and expand into deer hunting over time. This can work very well and we're very excited about these types of businesses, but to successfully execute this strategy, SaaS founders with a product/tech/marketing DNA usually have to bring in an experienced VP of Sales who has built an inside sales organization before.

Hunting elephants

Like it or not, most of the biggest SaaS companies derive most of their revenues from selling expensive subscriptions to large enterprises. Workday, Veeva, SuccessFactors, Salesforce.com, you name it. Jason M. Lemkin, another friend and co-investor, once said (I'm quoting from memory) that if you have a good solution for a significant problem experienced by large enterprises, building a $100 million business is relatively straightforward. After all, you only need 1,000 customers, and the $100k you need from each of them is less than they spend on the salary of one executive. I think there's a lot of truth in that.

The other part of the truth, though, is that it may take you several years and millions of dollars to find out if you really are solving a problem (a.k.a. product/market fit), and once you're at that point, you still need tens of millions of dollars or more to finance the enterprise sales cycle. This does not at all mean that elephant hunting isn't attractive. It just requires very different skills, which usually means a founder team with enterprise sales DNA.

That leaves me with the million dollar – sorry, one hundred million dollar – question: Which other ways to build a $100 million business are there that I've overlooked? Let me know!
EDIT to add source: http://christophjanz.blogspot.com/2014/10/five-ways-to-build-100-million-business.html

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
I'd love to create a sweet little biz that charged people $10k+ per year and have 1-10 mil subscribers :)

KA-CHING! ... But I'm worried about breaking some F*cking laws.... ARHHHH!

Iwokeup

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
And lest anyone think that I'm worrying about what color Ferrari to buy, I'm definitely not. But I firmly believe that if you don't have the destination in mind then you're simply wandering.....

Iwokeup

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
I'd love to create a sweet little biz that charged people $10k+ per year and have 1-10 mil subscribers :)

It's called "Enterprise software." LOL

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
It's called "Enterprise software." LOL

Oh I have an idea for an Enterprise software.... but that wasn't what I was talking about in the previous post, that was more of a Saas for every day people. There might be away around the laws though (fingers crossed).

Last edited:

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
the first question I want to ask is ....Why do you want a $100M business?
As in, what's the motivation behind it?

Iwokeup

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
I want to provide massive value to the health care industry. I want to leverage our success to build enough capital so that we can effect seismic changes in the industry.

Specifically I want to change the Feudal nature of health care It.

AlterJoule

Busy Working.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Aug 7, 2014
While your at it. Fix the damn Pyxis Machines. Oh and the tube systems, oh and EPIC. Epic is a terrible system....So many issues with hospital systems....

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
I think there's little talk about it because of MJ's rule at the beginning of TMF :

Nobody who has not made a million dollars knows how to make a million dollars (or they'd do it).

In the same way, my guess is that nobody talks about making 9 figures because few people here have done it. I don't really know much about MJ or zen******* or JackEdwards, possibly their companies have been worth that much, but either way my guess is that the number of people who frequent this forum who have 9+ figure companies is <5 and that nobody here has a 9 figure personal net worth. Anybody can correct me if I'm wrong though, this is not meant to slight anyone.

I mean, fastlane principles must still apply for making that much money, but I'd guess that someone who's done it would have a lot of epic stories about how to kick it to the next level by going even more passive, greater magnitude, etc. Somehow, I get the feeling that if we hang around here long enough, we'll start to see people talking about hitting a 100M valuation from first-hand experience. Until then, always good to read articles from people who've done it.

Maxjohan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Mar 26, 2011
Nobody who has not made a million dollars knows how to make a million dollars (or they'd do it).
Not true at all. There are tons of ways to scam people and play on peoples gullibility. Or just sell on emotions. It's not hard at all. You just use this sales message: Hi. I am so and so. Are you tired of being broke? Not having enough money to take your wife out to dinner every night? Do you just want some "extra" "extra" money in the bank. Huh? *SMILE*...

Good. Because I know exactly how it is to be you. I was just like you 2 years ago. And now I am rolling in a red Ferrari. Taking my wife out to dinner every second day. And we even have enough money to take a nice vacation every so often.

If you hang in there for another two minutes, I gonna tell you about this amazing software that makes you able to make money while you sleep. Yes. It's totally on auto-pilot!!!! (LOL.)
-----
It's not freaking hard to sell crap or b.s. products. And tell people what they want to hear. It's just that I don't want to do it.

OP is spot on, on how to make it. The question is do you have a USP, do you have a advantage. Are you different? Will you make your business profitable enough, so you can re-invest your profits. MJ talks about scale in the book. That's all it is to it. And when you are doing $100 million you probably have a few employees that you need to manage.

Last edited:

Maxjohan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Mar 26, 2011
Another option is a an OEM strategy (i.e. getting your product distributed by big partners), which can work but comes with its own challenges.
You could also distribute products as your own but on a big brand partnership. But that's a bit off topic, I guess.

Last edited:

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
My humble opinion:

Keep the financial goal in mind for sure, but focus more on creating a type of business that could be worth a hundred million dollars.

In terms of MJ's Law Of Effection, would this be something that enough people would use as be impacted by to make $100M?

Iwokeup

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
In the same way, my guess is that nobody talks about making 9 figures because few people here have done it. I don't really know much about MJ or zen******* or JackEdwards, possibly their companies have been worth that much, but either way my guess is that the number of people who frequent this forum who have 9+ figure companies is <5 and that nobody here has a 9 figure personal net worth. Anybody can correct me if I'm wrong though, this is not meant to slight anyone.

I mean, fastlane principles must still apply for making that much money, but I'd guess that someone who's done it would have a lot of epic stories about how to kick it to the next level by going even more passive, greater magnitude, etc. Somehow, I get the feeling that if we hang around here long enough, we'll start to see people talking about hitting a 100M valuation from first-hand experience. Until then, always good to read articles from people who've done it.
Yep. And I hope that I'm not somehow coming off as a pie in the sky dreamer who hasn't even made his first sale yet. I get that and I'm not trying to be that guy. I guess that I'm just trying to generate more discussion about how startups get beyond that first six figures.

In terms of MJ's Law Of Effection, would this be something that enough people would use as be impacted by to make $100M?

Potentially, yes.

Again, my thought is, do the choices that I make now affect the ability to scale later? What choices are critical and which aren't?

o Does the business model meet the CENTS criteria?
o Choosing the right customer in terms of both your ability to serve them as well as their ability to scale your business.
o The space that you're trying to serve

ETC.

I saw it with my mother's company. She was so focused on grinding and making/gaining those first customers, that she had no real plan for growing or scaling the company and because of that ran into a ton of problems that I had to work out for her.

Last edited by a moderator:

nskitts

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Jul 24, 2014
Healthcare IT is definitely Elephant Land for sure. We use Paragon, and most agree it sucks. Epic is owned by one person. She shoots Elephants every day and is a billionaire. That said, most say Epic isn't all that great either. We are in the infancy of digital charting, digital ordering, etc. and there is massive need for easy to use and integrate medical software. It's going to be wide open for the next decade at least. The money I have seen thrown at IT in the past 5 years dwarfs what has been thrown at it in the 15 years prior added together.

Iwokeup

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
Healthcare IT is definitely Elephant Land for sure. We use Paragon, and most agree it sucks. Epic is owned by one person. She shoots Elephants every day and is a billionaire. That said, most say Epic isn't all that great either. We are in the infancy of digital charting, digital ordering, etc. and there is massive need for easy to use and integrate medical software. It's going to be wide open for the next decade at least. The money I have seen thrown at IT in the past 5 years dwarfs what has been thrown at it in the 15 years prior added together.
Completely agree.

Didn't know that the founder of Epic was a single person.. Hmmm...

PEBBLE

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Oct 11, 2014

Yup, just as I suspected. Keyboard Jockey

mikekob

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Oct 29, 2013
Denver, CO
Ha ha Healthcare IT. I'm in that arena now and it is definitely an elephant. Big fat and really slow moving. Cautious too. I had my first discussion in April and I feel like as of the last week or two I've been really hitting it hard. So I can completely understand that area of the sales graph. As I wish it were faster sales cycles that's just not the case right now.

Iwokeup

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
Ha ha Healthcare IT. I'm in that arena now and it is definitely an elephant. Big fat and really slow moving. Cautious too. I had my first discussion in April and I feel like as of the last week or two I've been really hitting it hard. So I can completely understand that area of the sales graph. As I wish it were faster sales cycles that's just not the case right now.
You're definitely kicking some butt. It's incredibly difficult to get healthcare peeps to move.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Awesome post, thank you for sharing. Basically it's a much better explanation of SCALE and MAGNITUDE as I describe in my book.

mikekob

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Oct 29, 2013
Denver, CO
Those upper ended sales are in fact full of barriers. That definitely makes them worth it in the long haul and of course thins the herd.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.