The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Lex DeVille's: How to Make $1,000 a Week with no Degree, no Feedback, & no Portfolio.

The Grind

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 17, 2014
@SinisterLex

If a close friend of yours, a future son, a hypothetical sibling, came to you and sincerely asked "Knowing what you know now, what would YOU do to learn how to write GOOD copy as quickly as possible if you weren't a copywriter?"

Would you buy specific copy books? How often would you study vs applying for jobs? Would you hand write old letters? Etc.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
@SinisterLex

If a close friend of yours, a future son, a hypothetical sibling, came to you and sincerely asked "Knowing what you know now, what would YOU do to learn how to write GOOD copy as quickly as possible if you weren't a copywriter?"

Would you buy specific copy books? How often would you study vs applying for jobs? Would you hand write old letters? Etc.

I wasn't sure whether or not to respond to this.

It feels like any answer would make me seem like an a**hole.

But in the end I can't think of any different advice I'd give than... Stop looking for shortcuts.

The only thing I'd do differently if starting from scratch is spend less time studying and more time connecting with people.

LateStarter

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jan 26, 2015
Toronto, Canada
...any answer would make me seem like an a**hole.

Have you ever noticed that people who provide you with the most valuable and honest answers can be considered assholes?

Yup. I have.

The truth isn't always easy to hear and people need to think about that when given advice. Consider if the person is being frank with their reply, or if they're just being a dick. Usually it's the former.

I'll admit that sometimes the shock value of an aggressive answer can be beneficial. Some people just need a bigger wake-up call. But that's not usually the intent of the response. We're all adults here and there's no reason to sugar-coat things or pander to someone's ego. If you ask a question expect an frank (and valuable) answer in reply.

I suspect that Lex has been called an a$$ a few times and I am privileged to be in similar company. It hasn't stopped people from coming back to me for bullshit-free advice.

Keep up the good work @SinisterLex!

DrunkFish

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Mar 25, 2015
Missouri
"Fixed Price - Est. Budget: $12
Write 100 good, engaging, and compelling posts. Interesting articles and links to industry related info. Tips. Etc. Marine and Cargo Surveying is very specific. These posts need to be interesting. Do not apply if you can provide very high quality, non plagiarized work. This will require some research and the ability to write well."

Got my profile done and went looking for work. I can see why they're outsourcing... "Do not apply if you can provide high quality, non plagiarized work"?
Haha

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Five Star

Dean
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Aug 5, 2014
Northern Ireland
Has anyone here been asked to sign an NDA for any upwork clients?

I have, but must admit I don't feel entirely comfortable with signing a legal doc.

Apologies if I missed this discussion anywhere on the thread.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Has anyone here been asked to sign an NDA for any upwork clients?

I have, but must admit I don't feel entirely comfortable with signing a legal doc.

Apologies if I missed this discussion anywhere on the thread.

Yes. They're pretty common for jobs where the end product is being resold, such as an Ebook or software.

It's an extra level of protection because some freelancers might try to sell the completed project after delivery.

This can create problems for obvious reasons, though I doubt it's much of an issue with simple writing projects.

A $50,000 app on the other hand could cause considerable damage to the client if released under a different name.

DrunkFish

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Mar 25, 2015
Missouri
Got my first copy gig. I've had 2 transcription jobs before, one of which didn't give me any feedback or rating. The other one gave me just about a 5 star rating, so I have a slight advantage, despite only having one or two things in my 'copy' portfolio.

The gig was a small $10, two page description. I have submitted, so we will see how it goes.

I had applied to two gigs and used the type of copy requested as a template for the cover letters. The amount of requests for bloggers etc that pop up in the copy section for gigs is somewhat annoying, i must say!

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I had applied to two gigs and used the type of copy requested as a template for the cover letters. The amount of requests for bloggers etc that pop up in the copy section for gigs is somewhat annoying, i must say!

This is partially because the difference isn't clear for those who aren't copywriters.

They just pick the category that seems like it's the best fit.

You can narrow the search criteria to help filter out some of these.

GailWynand

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Dec 14, 2015
NY
There a plenty of legal ways to generate a thousand dollars in a week.

You can try internet marketing/home business opps.

I personally made $11,000 in 1 day with a business opp I was promoting.
Affiliate marketing is good also. Simply find a product or service a company wants promoted and they pay you a commission on each sale.

http://www.clickbank.com

Also if you have a skill, product or service you know that people demand you should profit from it. Making $1000 in a week is easy once you know how.

http://www.marketingtips.com

Lukebrisbane

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Feb 19, 2014
Brisbane, Australia.
Haha don't get me started on online courses. That's a whole nother realm of passive income people are missing out on.

Costs like $500 to get a 1080p cam, good mic, and lighting. Add a sprinkle of knowledge, a dash of personality and you're in business.

A bit of marketing combined with problem solving and the result is a course that sells.

But you gotta be willing to risk $500. I did.

Hi,

So this idea seems interesting, i'm currently experimenting with some PPV affiliate marketing and notice alot of the deals I try to promote are pretty simple and if i just followed fastlane principles and created my own product I could probably do alot better. Would you ideally send Facebook traffic to this?

Are you making like a 10 video series? If I was to try something like this, I'd want to just throw something together and get it out there asap, not spend months trying to make it only to give up which is what i'm accustomed to doing. Are there any niches you'd suggest work well in this sort of thing?

NoPainNoGain

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Jan 13, 2013
Upwork charges a fee over each payment transaction.
Does upwork still keeps that amount when a gig was refunded for?

What does "budget" mean in the gig details? Does it mean the client is offering exactly that much for the job or just a maximum value that could be potentially less?

Has anyone ever had a client, acting in bad faith, say he wants a refund the work you delivered but still use the work you provided?

Last edited:

DrunkFish

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Mar 25, 2015
Missouri
Helped the guy with another small description for another $10. Applied to 5 other jobs, haven't gotten any of those though. Hm. Been real creative with my cover letters.

Although, I only have 1 pic of some (barely) copy work on my page, a really short bio, as well as only one 5-star feedback from a transcription job yet. So none of that is probably helping.

When I finish helping this guy out, I will ask to post snippets of the sales pages as my portfolio and hopefully he gives good feedback too. We've been working in 'milestones' as upwork calls it i think lol. So I guess once the entire contract ends or whatever is when you exchange feedback.

The Racing Driver

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Apr 20, 2015
UK
@SinisterLex You Are The Man ! I've been your reading your posts, watching your vids, reached Day 10 on 15 days to freedom (This challenge is such an Eye-opener). Absolutely love reading your content.

Ok, so I've been working to $1000/week as well by the end of Feb. (Not just to jump on the bandwagon, but from calculating a decent lifestyle cost where I live)

Sent 25/30 Proposals this month on Upwork. Got 1 sale for $25. In fact, by helping the person in the proposal re-write a few lines of their homepage. Got a $5 bonus. Safe to say, they're very pleased. Seems like more work is one the way. Thanks for that !

Now these results aren't the greatest. Considering I've been even more helpful in other proposals which didn't result in anything, and they were all custom typed for their situation with exactly how I could help them.

I'm struggling to understand where I'm going wrong. There's usually zero feedback when you don't get the job.

What other ways would you guys suggest to generate more leads & finally help more people ? Even outside of Upwork. I'm nearly out of connects but still persisting.

P.S: @SinisterLex Are you still doing raw reviews ?

Last edited:

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Upwork charges a fee over each payment transaction.
Does upwork still keeps that amount when a gig was refunded for?

What does "budget" mean in the gig details? Does it mean the client is offering exactly that much for the job or just a maximum value that could be potentially less?

Has anyone ever had a client, acting in bad faith, say he wants a refund the work you delivered but still use the work you provided?

Upwork doesn't keep the fee if a transaction is refunded. They return the full amount.

Budget is usually for fixed price gigs if I remember correctly and is the limit for what the client will pay.

You have the option to bid at a different rate from what is offered.

To answer your third question, yes, but will you let that stop you from making money on the platform?

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
@SinisterLex You Are The Man ! I've been your reading your posts, watching your vids, reached Day 10 on 15 days to freedom (This challenge is such an Eye-opener). Absolutely love reading your content.

Ok, so I've been working to $1000/week as well by the end of Feb. (Not just to jump on the bandwagon, but from calculating a decent lifestyle cost where I live)

Sent 25/30 Proposals this month on Upwork. Got 1 sale for $25. In fact, by helping the person in the proposal re-write a few lines of their homepage. Got a $5 bonus. Safe to say, they're very pleased. Seems like more work is one the way. Thanks for that !

Now these results aren't the greatest. Considering I've been even more helpful in other proposals which didn't result in anything, and they were all custom typed for their situation with exactly how I could help them.

I'm struggling to understand where I'm going wrong. There's usually zero feedback when you don't get the job.

What other ways would you guys suggest to generate more leads & finally help more people ? Even outside of Upwork. I'm nearly out of connects but still persisting.

P.S: @SinisterLex Are you still doing raw reviews ?

Thanks bro, appreciate the comments.

You can send a proposal if you want and I'll take a look.

Usually it's small things that trigger clients to choose one freelancer over another.

Probably one of the most important elements for me over the last few months was targeting specific niches.

Find a niche you write well for and go after those clients whether on Upwork or elsewhere.

Because you already know how to deliver value to these people it's much easier to stand out.

TeflonDon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
302%
Jan 9, 2013
England
Hey @TeflonDon, it's a small world after all!

Thanks for the encouragement, I'll keep plugging away at it!

I think I might have got a bit ahead of myself with the pay, which may be one of the factors in having no work this last 2-3 weeks. I raised my rate to $20 an hr after just 6 jobs.

How much time are you and @Trixii dedicating to it? Do you have full time jobs too?

Searching for jobs and writing the cover letters take up a lot of time, though if you can land a couple of long term clients, that would be the ticket!

Totally agree with you about the cover letters, my way of doing it works for my timetable, no job though pretty busy. I search for jobs in a morning, look through interesting ones and pick those I feel I can do a great job on. Cover letters get written up on a late afternoon break, and then revised over the evening between doing other stuff. The time gaps help a lot for adjusting cover letters & thinking of angles to use when applying.

$20/hr shouldn't be bad at all, I'm marked at 15/hr since the start and actually feel the low rate is hurting me for copy jobs. In total I'd say around 6 hours a week for applications, and doing projects for around 20.

Repeat clients help a lot too, though sometimes they might be inconsistent in how much work you get.

David Fiddler

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
306%
Jan 11, 2015
Bump cause this is still one of the best threads on this forum. At least this is the one that changed my life.
No hype.

Coming from a country where people make $300 per MONTH working full time (my ma and pa included) I can now
charge $100 for an hour of my time, and clients actually pay for it.

Better yet, it's a good deal for them cause they'll make much more.

But let's rewind a couple months, almost a year.

Here's lil Davie talking shit on the Interwebs and demanding things from strangers who share a lot of their good stuff for free.

7Bwh5d1.png

Take a look at the date and the participants.

Let's do a one-question fastlaner quiz real quick... Who knows what I was missing?
That's right, the F*cking attitude.

Now, back to the future.

I'm still not doing this full-time, and I'm not some big swinging marketing dick, but it puts me in a
pretty damned comfortable position.

I've got time and money to learn new stuff, satisfy clients, experiment with new ventures and
I don't have to do what I don't want to.

Better yet, I can help my family and close friends get lower tier, $15-$20/hr gigs.
(which is still like 10x what they'd normally make)

Now, this isn't easy.

And I don't want to go all hero's journey on your a$$ but I did struggle
and I still do.

But it's so worth it...

Keep grinding and while you're at it,
take a couple of good folks with you.

I really love my life right now.

And it all started with finding this thread.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Better yet, it's a good deal for them cause they'll make much more.

This is the tipping point.

When you stop working toward $100 an hour because it's actually far less than what your writing is worth.

This only happens when you can back it up, but it's a good feeling.

If your writing makes money for the client, and you can prove it, then you become invaluable.

That's the key for those who want to make this Fastlane in the sense of making a lot of money.

Prove you make your client money. Don't just say it. Prove it. Then ask for a raise.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Just bet out 60+ people to get a job on UpWork using the tactics on this thread. I have zero experience on that site, no tests done or any certs. Just good old fashion 'bring value - show them how you will do it'.

Job isn't paying too much but its a solid start. I am going way beyond what I am getting paid for too but that's the point isn't it.

As always thanks again @SinisterLex

NonMagicalGenie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Dec 13, 2014
Texas
@Andy Black touché, touché :cool:. Before making this post, I was going to give you all the reasons why I couldn't help other people. But then realized before sending the reply, "WTF am I doing?" So... I decided to take action instead.

This is what I've learned from advice given by Andy through PM.

Hopefully someone can get some value from it!

So I read this thread a while back and 1 month ago thought "ok, why not learn some copy since its what "everyone is saying you should learn". (I already had interest in copywriting, because I love psychology and wanted to provide value to people while developing a new skill. And why not also make some money along the way!)

I learned some copy by reading quite a few books and copying sales letters. Great, I'm on my way to becoming a success! Ehh... kinda.

Firstly, before you even write a single-word on your overview for a freelance site, your mindset has to be in-line to what your main goal is--PROVIDING VALUE!

I'm a very "up in the head" type person and... selling myself is difficult, since I'm very much into my own thoughts!

When I first read this thread, a lot of the points given, flew over my head. But when I actually started to get into freelancing, I suddenly knew it was going to a lot harder then I first thought.

Thanks @SinisterLex for all your advice in this thread and many others!

Do I have a job yet NO, BUT KNOW my mindset is congruent, so I can come from a place of helping them, instead of what can I get.

Lets begin...

GET OUT OF YOUR OWN HEAD!

About 2 weeks ago, I finally completed my first profile for Upwork and felt good about myself.

WOOHOO!

But something felt off about it... so I decided to PM Andy Black to get some feedback. To my surprise, he actually replied and gave some of his nuggets of wisdom:

"Be an example though of what you're preaching.

Keep it short. Remove 50% of the copy, review it, then remove another 50%.

Above all, make it about THEM.

A tip: try starting the copy with "Looking for ...?"

Work out what that ... is.

Then explain how you can help them get ....
"

Awesome advice!

So I followed his advice (or I thought) and fixed my profile, but it turned out pretty much the same in the end. Sent him a follow up update... no reply. My mindset wasn't congruent at the time so how could I've understood what he had meant :p.

Thought that maybe, if I left it alone for a day or so, I could come back to it with a different perspective... nope, didn't happen. I didn't even touch the overview again, for like 6-7 days!

It had been about 7 days and I only applied to 2 jobs. Too my surprise... not a single interview from either! :(

So I went into a self-destructive mode:
"I'm not good enough"
"I can't do this"
"I'm not gonna make my new years resolution"
"I don't understand copywriting"
"I need to read more books and copy more sales letters"

So on and so forth--You get the idea... I hope.

Within-the-mist of the constant self-sabotage, I decided to just calm down, and be objective as possible. Beating yourself up isn't going to get you anywhere, anytime soon.

I then realized, I should complete my SEO Fundamentals course on Lynda and get the certificate. And I did... NOW, I at least have something to add to my profile--even though it has nothing to do with copywriting, I was happy.

I was finally taking action. Instead of staying in my own head.

Another realization came, I should fix my Linkedin profile, start connecting with other people and provide value to them. Something I also had been holding off. Oh yeah! Need to start doing this :innocent: :halo:.

Boom! Now we're getting somewhere!

Fixed my Linkedin Profile and decided "ok, lets look at this Upwork Profile one more time."

The difference this time was that, I erased everything that was there before and started fresh.

Starting with the words "Looking for...", everything else fell into place. I had already seen many jobs for copywriting, so I new most of things they were looking for.

Taking small steps towards your goals matter more then leaping to the big ones. Rome wasn't built in one day. It was built upon a Vision, an Idea, and a Process. Small steps pave the way.

How Much You Think You Know vs. How Much You Actually Know

Fixed up my new profile and decided to update Andy about it... again.

He actually replied back and congratulated me for finally understanding what he had meant. Wanting to know if he could've explained it better (he explained it well. It was my fault for not understanding myself to how I could approach it.), gave me a very insightful question ...

"How would you explain it to your past self?"
This was a teaching lesson in-it-of-its-self. I guess he had it planned out from the start. Who knows... :tiphat:

I answered the question and told him "I'll help other people once I get good at Upwork".

He mentions how I should use my knowledge of what I've learned so far (before and after), to help other people NOW, then later.

So this is my answer to "How would you explain it to your past self":

1. Forget everything you think you need to explain
Don't ramble on and on, get straight to point right away.

If you're a native english speaker, use your overview to prove that.

Instead of saying it outright "I'm a native english speaker".

It just adds fluff, unless it is of significant importance like "I'm a non-native english speaker" and so on..

2. Prove within your body, the statements you make within your body--"Be what you preach".
You say you make unique headlines, but your headline in the beginning wasn't unique-Make it so it is unique!

You say you can help them, but your body is talking 30% about them and 70% about you.

You say you can persuade them, but your words are contradicting your own statements, your using big words and so on. Read over everything OUT LOUD, again n' again and keep simplifying until it reads smooth as silk.

3. Explain what you are capable of in a way that benefits them
(May take sometime to understand... ok, a lot of time to understand :D.)

90% about them, 10% about you is your goal (Use more you then I).

Put yourself in your clients shoes and vision what you would be looking for, if you were to hire someone for your position (look through jobs and see what clients are looking for the most and meet everyone of those requirements.)

4. Understand WTF your actually trying to accomplish.
Being so into "how much you think you know" then "how much you actually know" makes a big difference.

First one leads to mental masturbation, the latter leads to taking action. Don't think I need to explain any further.

Conclusion

Point to all this...

Understanding yourself, so you could approach situations better, and take the necessary steps forward, toward your goals--is the main idea.

Well, big thanks to Andy for all his input and for pushing me to make this post haha (mentally pushing)... I really wasn't in all seriousness...

If anyone has read this to the end, hopefully you got something out of it.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
@Andy Black touché, touché :cool:. Before making this post, I was going to give you all the reasons why I couldn't help other people. But then realized before sending the reply, "WTF am I doing?" So... I decided to take action instead.

This is what I've learned from advice given by Andy through PM.

Hopefully someone can get some value from it!

So I read this thread a while back and 1 month ago thought "ok, why not learn some copy since its what "everyone is saying you should learn". (I already had interest in copywriting, because I love psychology and wanted to provide value to people while developing a new skill. And why not also make some money along the way!)

I learned some copy by reading quite a few books and copying sales letters. Great, I'm on my way to becoming a success! Ehh... kinda.

Firstly, before you even write a single-word on your overview for a freelance site, your mindset has to be in-line to what your main goal is--PROVIDING VALUE!

I'm a very "up in the head" type person and... selling myself is difficult, since I'm very much into my own thoughts!

When I first read this thread, a lot of the points given, flew over my head. But when I actually started to get into freelancing, I suddenly knew it was going to a lot harder then I first thought.

Thanks @SinisterLex for all your advice in this thread and many others!

Do I have a job yet NO, BUT KNOW my mindset is congruent, so I can come from a place of helping them, instead of what can I get.

Lets begin...

GET OUT OF YOUR OWN HEAD!

About 2 weeks ago, I finally completed my first profile for Upwork and felt good about myself.

WOOHOO!

But something felt off about it... so I decided to PM Andy Black to get some feedback. To my surprise, he actually replied and gave some of his nuggets of wisdom:

"Be an example though of what you're preaching.

Keep it short. Remove 50% of the copy, review it, then remove another 50%.

Above all, make it about THEM.

A tip: try starting the copy with "Looking for ...?"

Work out what that ... is.

Then explain how you can help them get ....
"

Awesome advice!

So I followed his advice (or I thought) and fixed my profile, but it turned out pretty much the same in the end. Sent him a follow up update... no reply. My mindset wasn't congruent at the time so how could I've understood what he had meant :p.

Thought that maybe, if I left it alone for a day or so, I could come back to it with a different perspective... nope, didn't happen. I didn't even touch the overview again, for like 6-7 days!

It had been about 7 days and I only applied to 2 jobs. Too my surprise... not a single interview from either! :(

So I went into a self-destructive mode:
"I'm not good enough"
"I can't do this"
"I'm not gonna make my new years resolution"
"I don't understand copywriting"
"I need to read more books and copy more sales letters"

So on and so forth--You get the idea... I hope.

Within-the-mist of the constant self-sabotage, I decided to just calm down, and be objective as possible. Beating yourself up isn't going to get you anywhere, anytime soon.

I then realized, I should complete my SEO Fundamentals course on Lynda and get the certificate. And I did... NOW, I at least have something to add to my profile--even though it has nothing to do with copywriting, I was happy.

I was finally taking action. Instead of staying in my own head.

Another realization came, I should fix my Linkedin profile, start connecting with other people and provide value to them. Something I also had been holding off. Oh yeah! Need to start doing this :innocent: :halo:.

Boom! Now we're getting somewhere!

Fixed my Linkedin Profile and decided "ok, lets look at this Upwork Profile one more time."

The difference this time was that, I erased everything that was there before and started fresh.

Starting with the words "Looking for...", everything else fell into place. I had already seen many jobs for copywriting, so I new most of things they were looking for.

Taking small steps towards your goals matter more then leaping to the big ones. Rome wasn't built in one day. It was built upon a Vision, an Idea, and a Process. Small steps pave the way.

How Much You Think You Know vs. How Much You Actually Know

Fixed up my new profile and decided to update Andy about it... again.

He actually replied back and congratulated me for finally understanding what he had meant. Wanting to know if he could've explained it better (he explained it well. It was my fault for not understanding myself to how I could approach it.), gave me a very insightful question ...

"How would you explain it to your past self?"
This was a teaching lesson in-it-of-its-self. I guess he had it planned out from the start. Who knows... :tiphat:

I answered the question and told him "I'll help other people once I get good at Upwork".

He mentions how I should use my knowledge of what I've learned so far (before and after), to help other people NOW, then later.

So this is my answer to "How would you explain it to your past self":

1. Forget everything you think you need to explain
Don't ramble on and on, get straight to point right away.

If you're a native english speaker, use your overview to prove that.

Instead of saying it outright "I'm a native english speaker".

It just adds fluff, unless it is of significant importance like "I'm a non-native english speaker" and so on..

2. Prove within your body, the statements you make within your body--"Be what you preach".
You say you make unique headlines, but your headline in the beginning wasn't unique-Make it so it is unique!

You say you can help them, but your body is talking 30% about them and 70% about you.

You say you can persuade them, but your words are contradicting your own statements, your using big words and so on. Read over everything OUT LOUD, again n' again and keep simplifying until it reads smooth as silk.

3. Explain what you are capable of in a way that benefits them
(May take sometime to understand... ok, a lot of time to understand :D.)

90% about them, 10% about you is your goal (Use more you then I).

Put yourself in your clients shoes and vision what you would be looking for, if you were to hire someone for your position (look through jobs and see what clients are looking for the most and meet everyone of those requirements.)

4. Understand WTF your actually trying to accomplish.
Being so into "how much you think you know" then "how much you actually know" makes a big difference.

First one leads to mental masturbation, the latter leads to taking action. Don't think I need to explain any further.

Conclusion

Point to all this...

Understanding yourself, so you could approach situations better, and take the necessary steps forward, toward your goals--is the main idea.

Well, big thanks to Andy for all his input and for pushing me to make this post haha (mentally pushing)... I really wasn't in all seriousness...

If anyone has read this to the end, hopefully you got something out of it.

So what will you do now? How will you provide value?

It would be much faster and more profitable for you not to apply to copywriting gigs if that's what you've been doing.

"Looking for..." is great, but if your copy doesn't sell it doesn't sell and that means no value.

If I were you I'd start with simple $1 to $2 articles and build up from there.

There's no reason you couldn't have one to five of these gigs within a couple of days if you write clear English.

Plus if you're just trying to make money for other Fastlane ventures you can earn full-time pay with articles.

Learn to write first. Learn to sell that writing. Then sell yourself to clients when you're ready.

This morning I saw someone here that said they write 500 word articles for $45.00.

If they can find people paying that much so can you.

NonMagicalGenie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Dec 13, 2014
Texas
So what will you do now? How will you provide value?

It would be much faster and more profitable for you not to apply to copywriting gigs if that's what you've been doing.

"Looking for..." is great, but if your copy doesn't sell it doesn't sell and that means no value.

If I were you I'd start with simple $1 to $2 articles and build up from there.

There's no reason you couldn't have one to five of these gigs within a couple of days if you write clear English.

Plus if you're just trying to make money for other Fastlane ventures you can earn full-time pay with articles.

Learn to write first. Learn to sell that writing. Then sell yourself to clients when you're ready.

This morning I saw someone here that said they write 500 word articles for $45.00.

If they can find people paying that much so can you.

As I'm writing cover letters now on Upwork... Holy Sh*t!

I'm starting to ask questions and see things that I haven't been able to see before.

Everything is just so much clearer. I'm more focused on the client then myself.

Reading in-between the lines to provide the value I possibly can.

Writing out my post in this thread has helped me in more ways then I can fully fathom.

Those thoughts, mistakes, and failures were in my head for the longest time, and writing them out as helped tremendously in my mindset and mental clarity.

So I already submitted 2 proposals for content writing... well time to churn more out!

Thanks for you feedback Lex! Really did put things into perspective.

Gruntpl

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
322%
Dec 27, 2015
As I'm writing cover letters now on Upwork... Holy Sh*t!

I'm starting to ask questions and see things that I haven't been able to see before.

Everything is just so much clearer. I'm more focused on the client then myself.

Reading in-between the lines to provide the value I possibly can.

Writing out my post in this thread has helped me in more ways then I can fully fathom.

Those thoughts, mistakes, and failures were in my head for the longest time, and writing them out as helped tremendously in my mindset and mental clarity.

So I already submitted 2 proposals for content writing... well time to churn more out!

Thanks for you feedback Lex! Really did put things into perspective.

How is it going? :)

NonMagicalGenie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Dec 13, 2014
Texas
How is it going? :)
It's going pretty well. Haven't landed a single job thus far though...

Completed quite a few tests on Upwork this weekend and will complete more today, so that should definitely help.

Weekends are not as productive as I would like them to be--will have to work on that. My cousin doesn't have work on the weekends so there is always something going on.

I will have a few jobs by Wednesday though. Going to push hard today and tomorrow to at least have a couple. I'm not used to writing cover letters but I am improving!

daivey

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Apr 6, 2014
do you guys know if I can work under a fake name on these websites?

I don't want anyone to know my real name on these websites. but if I can work with a "handle" like a fake name that I can create, that would be awesome.

or, could I incorporate and then setup an account under the corporate name?

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
do you guys know if I can work under a fake name on these websites?

I don't want anyone to know my real name on these websites. but if I can work with a "handle" like a fake name that I can create, that would be awesome.

or, could I incorporate and then setup an account under the corporate name?

I believe you can incorporate and work as an agency, but the Upwork accounts have to be linked to a bank account with a matching name to get paid.

You're just going to have to put yourself out there.

daivey

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Apr 6, 2014
I believe you can incorporate and work as an agency, but the Upwork accounts have to be linked to a bank account with a matching name to get paid.

You're just going to have to put yourself out there.

yeah, the problem is if that gets back to my work... problems.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
yeah, the problem is if that gets back to my work... problems.

You can opt to only display your first name if you're worried about someone finding out who you are.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.