The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

[AMA] SEO and Digital Marketing in 2016

JDawg

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Dec 31, 2015
United States
Omg machines SEO course

Sent from my SPH-L710T using Tapatalk

Ah, gotcha. I have never used the course, nor have I met anyone who has.

I'm sure that OMG offers some awesome info and training... but for $8,000.

If you do your research and due diligence, you can find all of that info for free.

whitworldwide

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jul 6, 2015
Solid tips JDawg. Great thread :)

Blog Commenting - I would avoid this. Blog commenting is regarded as spam if you are trying to link back to your website. There is software out there that posts these comments for you - do not use them. These links are generally no-follow (meaning they don't give you "link juice"), or they hurt your website's credibility.

I was thinking of actually doing some blog commenting. Not with software, as you say, that is real spammy. But actually reading the site post and giving value in the post...all done manually.

What about commenting in authority sites within related niches, say 4 or 5 sites a day (maybe 100 - 200 sites in total, so say over a month or two). I have heard Google might like this as it makes you backlinking profile look a little more natural? I know the vast majority of blog comments are 'no follow' but they do give a very ever-so-slightly boost in link juice too?

The links back to your site would be in your name/user only. I guess every now and again you could actually link back to your site within the actual blog comment?

Thoughts?

whitworldwide

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jul 6, 2015
Oh, I also hope you don;t mind me asking...

Your SEO company, what is the pricing structure? Do you charge a one-off fee, or do you charge a recurring fee every month ongoing (on the proviso the clients keywords rank well)?

Like others have said, I think you would 'kill it' if you started solo (once you started reeling in those clients) :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JDawg

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Dec 31, 2015
United States
I was thinking of actually doing some blog commenting. Not with software, as you say, that is real spammy. But actually reading the site post and giving value in the post...all done manually.

Sure, I don't see a problem with manually commenting on blog posts - especially if you are contributing to content. While those backlinks won't give your website much "link juice", if any, it could be a good place to start if you have a new website with no backlinks.

That being said, if you have extra time and can write well, look into guest blogging. It takes quite a bit more effort to connect with a relevant website and write a blog post, but you can end up with solid backlink.

Your SEO company, what is the pricing structure? Do you charge a one-off fee, or do you charge a recurring fee every month ongoing (on the proviso the clients keywords rank well)?

While I can't share the exact pricing my company offers, I can say that we charge on a monthly basis. There are no contracts, and a client can cancel anytime. Most of our clients understand that SEO is a long-term play, and stick around for quite some time once they see the results.

Like others have said, I think you would 'kill it' if you started solo

Thanks! :D

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
I have several pages that rank just outside the top 3 or top of page 2 for some really competitive terms in health/fitness (on a website with 3500+ pages and 18 year old domain). When I look at my link profiles at those above me, it appears I am doing better than the competitors. What kind of things on site can I do to nudge those pages up a few notches, beyond the meta/title tag stuff you mentioned previously?

JDawg

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Dec 31, 2015
United States
I have several pages that rank just outside the top 3 or top of page 2 for some really competitive terms in health/fitness (on a website with 3500+ pages and 18 year old domain). When I look at my link profiles at those above me, it appears I am doing better than the competitors. What kind of things on site can I do to nudge those pages up a few notches, beyond the meta/title tag stuff you mentioned previously?

PM me your domain name, and I'll take a look!

MattCour

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Aug 17, 2012
NY

Did you use Moz Bar to check the competitors social activity? FB and Google + likes and plus 1s help as Jdawg mentioned earlier.

Tomekmeister

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jan 21, 2016
Hello there!
I really consider studying marketing and learning as much as I can about it. I know studies are more of a general knowledge, but I'm interested in it. Everybody around me (for example parents) are telling me that it's a horrible idea, because there's way more marketing guys than jobs for them. I know it doesn't mean that much, because I can be better than all of them if I commit to it. What would you tell those people if you were in my place?

The thing is, my main goal is not to work in a company, but to use all the knowledge to help developing my own. Is marketing my thing then?

And of course I'd like to earn some money first. Is working for example as a marketing manager a good solution? Or maybe I should learn some other abilities?

JDawg

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Dec 31, 2015
United States
Is marketing my thing then?

This is a question you need to answer for yourself. You may love it, you may not. You may be great at it, you may not. But you won't know until you give it a shot. Experiment, work on some of your own projects, and I think you'll have a good idea if it's something that you want to do.

Everybody around me (for example parents) are telling me that it's a horrible idea, because there's way more marketing guys than jobs for them. I know it doesn't mean that much, because I can be better than all of them if I commit to it. What would you tell those people if you were in my place?

There is definitely a need for good marketers. But it's the same with all fields of work - if you set yourself a part from everyone else, you'll get a good job. Work hard, always be learning, and be aggressive. If you want a job at a marketing agency, find some local agencies, find a time to meet, and tell them you will be graduating in X amount of time and you are looking for a job when you graduate. This is what one of my co-workers did, and he had offers from just about every local agency. The worst you can get is a "no".

The thing is, my main goal is not to work in a company, but to use all the knowledge to help developing my own.

I've learned so much working for an agency - what works & what doesn't, mistakes and failures, and a boss that has mentored me. I took the job with the intent to only stay for 2 years in order to experience and learn first hand from a successful businessman.

Regardless if I start a marketing agency of my own or pursue other business ventures, the experience of my marketing job has been invaluable.

So if you are thinking about pursuing marketing, working for an agency for a short period of time before starting your own company may help you in the long-run.

Tomekmeister

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jan 21, 2016
This is a question you need to answer for yourself. You may love it, you may not. You may be great at it, you may not. But you won't know until you give it a shot. Experiment, work on some of your own projects, and I think you'll have a good idea if it's something that you want to do.

There is definitely a need for good marketers. But it's the same with all fields of work - if you set yourself a part from everyone else, you'll get a good job. Work hard, always be learning, and be aggressive. If you want a job at a marketing agency, find some local agencies, find a time to meet, and tell them you will be graduating in X amount of time and you are looking for a job when you graduate. This is what one of my co-workers did, and he had offers from just about every local agency. The worst you can get is a "no".

I've learned so much working for an agency - what works & what doesn't, mistakes and failures, and a boss that has mentored me. I took the job with the intent to only stay for 2 years in order to experience and learn first hand from a successful businessman.

Regardless if I start a marketing agency of my own or pursue other business ventures, the experience of my marketing job has been invaluable.

So if you are thinking about pursuing marketing, working for an agency for a short period of time before starting your own company may help you in the long-run.
Thank you for help. This is exactly what I wanted to hear :)

lifter123

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Feb 9, 2016
Hey
Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions!

Regarding forum links:
Should we avoid linking to our site in the signature to avoid a penalty? (or is there simply no boost in rankings)
I don't link to my site from forum links for seo benefits but rather just to get some traffic. Do I need to stop?

Regarding Guest Posting:
How do you determine what is and isn't a "quality blog"? (SEO Moz?)

JDawg

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Dec 31, 2015
United States
Regarding forum links:
Should we avoid linking to our site in the signature to avoid a penalty? (or is there simply no boost in rankings)
I don't link to my site from forum links for seo benefits but rather just to get some traffic. Do I need to stop?

Personally, I avoid using forum backlinks for SEO altogether. For the most part, you should be safe including a link in your profile or signature on a forum, but it really depends on the credibility of that forum. It may give you a small amount of extra traffic, but it won't help your website much at all in regards to SEO. I avoid it, because there are much more effective ways to build backlinks to your website.

Regarding Guest Posting:
How do you determine what is and isn't a "quality blog"? (SEO Moz?)

I wrote up a quick guide on the forum today on guest blogging: https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...ease-website-traffic-quality-backlinks.66150/

This should answer your question and give you some insight into how I effectively guest blog from start to finish.

Last edited by a moderator:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

JDawg

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Dec 31, 2015
United States
Not to steal your thread but here's a post (quite recent) that has the mother of all SEO ranking factors, at least, potential factors.

http://backlinko.com/google-ranking-factors

Awesome stuff! That's definitely a great resource for SEO ranking factors. Backlinko.com is chock-full of relevant & resourceful information on SEO and digital marketing.

Another article they just published on SEO that is worth a read - "We Analyzed 1 Million Google Search Results. Here’s What We Learned About SEO":

http://backlinko.com/search-engine-ranking

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
Have you gotten any emails in the past about SEO Powersuite being on sale? I've had my eye on it ever since you mentioned it, but I'm always looking for a deal. If you know of a time when they have a sale I'd really like to know.

Also, I've read that there are additional costs on top of the license. Can you tell me a little more about those, please?

And last question about the tool haha. Also, the only difference between the professional and enterprise edition is the ability to export data for clients? I just don't want to regret not buying the full shebang, but it's a $400 difference just for that!

p.s. In Brian Dean's list of favorite tools, it's not listed. :confused:

Last edited:

JDawg

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Dec 31, 2015
United States
Have you gotten any emails in the past about SEO Powersuite being on sale?

Ah, yes! They definitely have sales - just not too often. Anywhere from 50-75% OFF too (I KNOW, crazy! :D). From what I remember, SEO Powersuite had at least two sales last year. One in the summer and one during Christmas/New Years. But the sales were only a day or two long, so you would want to sign up for e-mail notifications for sure.

If you are willing to wait a few months, you could save quite a bit of $$$ by waiting until the summer for a big sale.

Also, I've read that there are additional costs on top of the license. Can you tell me a little more about those, please?

I've used the suite for over a year now, and I have never come across any extra fees/costs. So that shouldn't be an issue at all.

And last question about the tool haha. Also, the only difference between the professional and enterprise edition is the ability to export data for clients?

As far as the different editions go - It depends on if you are actually going to use the white labeled reports. I use the enterprise edition, but I do all of my reporting outside of the Powersuite, so I really have no need for it. If you think that you'd use the reports, then go for it! But if you are going to do your own custom reporting, then you should be fine with the professional edition.

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
I use the enterprise edition, but I do all of my reporting outside of the Powersuite, so I really have no need for it. If you think that you'd use the reports, then go for it! But if you are going to do your own custom reporting, then you should be fine with the professional edition.

If you don't mind me asking. How do you do your reporting outside of Powersuite?

Georgy

Stranger in Moscow
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Mar 7, 2016
Canada
Excellent AMA. Digital Marketing, now you're talking my language :). This is probably one of the most important AMA's someone with no seo experience can read because it's essential to your digital success.

Questions:

1). For those of us who don't follow the seo bible, I know it's simple to just type in "Google Algorithm Update". But is there a website you go to in order to get the latest news with Googles algorithm updates? It seems Google doesn't flat-out create a blog post saying "We updated today!". Do they post these type of updates on their twitter account? For example when I typed in "Google Algorithm Update" in Google, I found this article: http://searchengineland.com/google-...ing-algorithm-update-this-past-weekend-240067. So I didn't see any "google" site listed on the first page talking about any recent updates. Maybe I don't understand the logic behind this? I'm also on Google.ca website.

2). In regards to "Mobile SEO". I know most variables you listed apply to "Mobile SEO", but I know things like having a responsive website is crucial in the way your website is found via the Google mobile search. Any other variables you would say factor in for Mobile SEO apart from having a responsive website?

3). "Organic Traffic" is all good since it's quality and most importantly free! But are there any other techniques, methods you personally use to drive traffic to one of your properties without using Google AdWords, Facebook Ads or paying substantially for web/mobile traffic? Doing a guest post on a blog site is something most of us don't have the luxury to do since we have no "in" to these authoritative websites, and sites that offer guest blogging don't add a "do-follow" tag to your site. If they do, they quickly remove it from my experience. Any words of advice would be greatly appreciated, without compromising your secret sauce :).

4). Have you tried Google's Double Click? If so, do you find that it's only suitable for large enterprises due to the cost of using their DC? If your agency does us DC, does the agency see a real benefit to use this for their clients (even if the clients are small time) compared to using it for brands?

Thanks Jdawg. Not looking for a response right away so no rush on my end, whenever you have some spare time and it's convenient for you.

DiFerro

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Oct 15, 2016
Canada
Excellent AMA. Digital Marketing, now you're talking my language :). This is probably one of the most important AMA's someone with no seo experience can read because it's essential to your digital success.

Questions:

1). For those of us who don't follow the seo bible, I know it's simple to just type in "Google Algorithm Update". But is there a website you go to in order to get the latest news with Googles algorithm updates? It seems Google doesn't flat-out create a blog post saying "We updated today!". Do they post these type of updates on their twitter account? For example when I typed in "Google Algorithm Update" in Google, I found this article: http://searchengineland.com/google-...ing-algorithm-update-this-past-weekend-240067. So I didn't see any "google" site listed on the first page talking about any recent updates. Maybe I don't understand the logic behind this? I'm also on Google.ca website.

2). In regards to "Mobile SEO". I know most variables you listed apply to "Mobile SEO", but I know things like having a responsive website is crucial in the way your website is found via the Google mobile search. Any other variables you would say factor in for Mobile SEO apart from having a responsive website?

3). "Organic Traffic" is all good since it's quality and most importantly free! But are there any other techniques, methods you personally use to drive traffic to one of your properties without using Google AdWords, Facebook Ads or paying substantially for web/mobile traffic? Doing a guest post on a blog site is something most of us don't have the luxury to do since we have no "in" to these authoritative websites, and sites that offer guest blogging don't add a "do-follow" tag to your site. If they do, they quickly remove it from my experience. Any words of advice would be greatly appreciated, without compromising your secret sauce :).

4). Have you tried Google's Double Click? If so, do you find that it's only suitable for large enterprises due to the cost of using their DC? If your agency does us DC, does the agency see a real benefit to use this for their clients (even if the clients are small time) compared to using it for brands?

Thanks Jdawg. Not looking for a response right away so no rush on my end, whenever you have some spare time and it's convenient for you.

Hi @Georgy - I realize that your comment is 5 months old but I just recently read MFL and registered to FLF and since I came across it today, I thought I could shed some light on most of your questions.

1. There was a time looking for Google updates wasn't easy but just use the search term "algorithm updates" as a good starting point. Unfortunately, most sites list confirmed releases and if Google mentioned an upcoming release, it most likely won't be listed until it goes live. That being said, here are my go-to pages (BTW, I mostly use Google.ca too):
Here are a few other sites to help keep on eye on changes:
  • Google Webmaster Central - They don't post about every update but their posts are clear signals of what they expect from a best practice perspective
  • Algoroo - A great tool to keep track of negative and positive SERP (search engine result page) movement (Google.com & .com.au)
  • MozCast - Similar to Algoroo (Google.com)
Beyond that, its about testing, failing and trying again and again and again to see what works. There are some standard best practices but each industry and website has their own levers.

2. This is probably the most significant change coming. Google just announced on Oct 13/16 at Pubcon 2016, that in the coming months, they're going to split their index into mobile and desktop. Mobile will be the primary index with more frequent updates, whereas desktop will be secondary with less updates. Plus, on Jan 10/17 any inaccessible content from the transition of a mobile search results to a mobile page may not rank well. I loath self-promotion but I did a whole write-up about it here. Also, responsive is good but it's only the start. Ensure the following too:
  • Load time - aka speed, huge factor!
  • Content - don't hide it. Content is a clear signal about your website
  • Structured Data - helps SEs understand your content better
  • Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP) - an open source initiative that prevents reading on mobile to be slow and frustrating
3. I will start by answering this with a small caveat, my realm of expertise lies within search marketing, specifically organic (primarily) & paid. I can list a few that I think are still valid (some obvious) but would hope others can chime in and add to the list, provide further insight or call it BS. I also think it all depends on your goal(s). Are you trying to build a brand? Make a quick buck and then get out quickly? Either way, here’s a start:
  • Affiliate Marketing - get others to drive traffic and revenue. Not for everyone and not easy but half of something is better than a whole lot of nothing.
  • Referral Program – leverage existing customers and incentivize them to share, review, or promote your product/service via their channels.
  • Participate – build your authority and join relevant discussions within your niche; social, forums, blogs, etc. Sites like Quora, Reddit (even create subreddits). Don’t promote but help others.
  • Content Aggregators – capitalize on sites with traffic to drive to your sweat-filled-mind-blowing-unique-1200-word-conversion-centric content. Don’t spam and provide useful information.
  • Host Webinars – Again, this is about building your authority and trust. Peeps love to learn and trust those willing to share.
  • Partnerships – Join forces with a complementary product/service and leverage each others traffic, customers and skills. What’s good for the goose is good for the gander.
4. DoubleClick, Kenshoo, Marin along with a few others are all in the same league in that they’re only beneficial if you’re spending hundreds of thousands monthly across multiple (lots) accounts or one big fish. That being said, I’ve worked with two major Canadian retailers with seven figure yearly budgets and we found it hard at times to justify the cost. Plus, working directly within Adwords or Bing Ads gets you access to tools sooner rather than wait months with some these companies. I’ve also used WordStream to help manage lots of smaller accounts and works well. But almost nothing beats working with the primary tools directly.

Hope I was able to shed some light and if you have any other questions, let me know.

Cheers!

Last edited:

speakers4u

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Nov 7, 2016
Australia
Thanks for taking the time to reply to the questions with some amazing information!

Much appreciated JDawg.

Sean P

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Jul 4, 2014
Sites with thin( with not so high quality content) still rank high in Google search results. I have seen a lot of coupon sites and gift stores ranking high in the search engines, even though content might be thin on their pages. What kind of SEO techniques go behind ranking such sites?

Also, do traditional ways like leaving blog comments work for such thin sites?

devine

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 16, 2015
Russia
Sites with thin( with not so high quality content) still rank high in Google search results. I have seen a lot of coupon sites and gift stores ranking high in the search engines, even though content might be thin on their pages. What kind of SEO techniques go behind ranking such sites?

Also, do traditional ways like leaving blog comments work for such thin sites?
In 2016, relevancy is the only factor. All other factors just show Google how relevant the content is.

It doesn't matter if your content is 500 words long or 1500 words long, top quality 500-word-long article with high relevancy will slay any 1500-word-long article on any day. If your content is 150 words long and it's more relevant than anything else - it will rank #1.
If it has no images, but still has the highest relevancy score, it will outperform any image-rich article.

Leaving comments doesn't work. Neither link building in general is nearly as beneficial as it used to be.
Just create relevant content.

Last edited:

DiFerro

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Oct 15, 2016
Canada
In 2016, relevancy is the only factor. All other factors just show Google how relevant the content is.

It doesn't matter if your content is 500 words long or 1500 words long, top quality 500-word-long article with high relevancy will slay any 1500-word-long article on any day. If your content is 150 words long and it's more relevant than anything else - it will rank #1.
If it has no images, but still has the highest relevancy score, it will outperform any image-rich article.

Leaving comments doesn't work. Neither link building in general is nearly as beneficial as it used to be.
Just create relevant content.

@devine - I agree, content relevancy is the key, which is usually the missed point and everyone harps on 1000+ words. But links are still a widely important factor for search engines, namely Google. Backlinks are "tokens" which help endorse and provide authority for web pages. Without these, you're dead in the water. All the content you write will be for squat if you don't have some measure of backlinking. Funny enough, here's a timely tweet from Gary Illyes,Webmaster Trends Analyst at Google, which clears things up.

DoctorNotADoctor

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Nov 3, 2016
Hello @JDawg

Lots of good information in this AMA. I know Im late too it, but I had a question, which I hope you could help me with.

How should one proceed, from an SEO point of view, to rank a website in the medical niche, which is competing against authoritative sites, like webMD or Wikipedia, for the top positions in Google Rankings ? Is it possible, or is it a really steep hill which cannot be climbed ?

If anybody else has some input regarding ranking their website in a competitive niche, i'm open to hear your experiences.

devine

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 16, 2015
Russia
Hello @JDawg

Lots of good information in this AMA. I know Im late too it, but I had a question, which I hope you could help me with.

How should one proceed, from an SEO point of view, to rank a website in the medical niche, which is competing against authoritative sites, like webMD or Wikipedia, for the top positions in Google Rankings ? Is it possible, or is it a really steep hill which cannot be climbed ?

If anybody else has some input regarding ranking their website in a competitive niche, i'm open to hear your experiences.
Details?

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
Most of the info in this thread is outdated, as well as anything you find on the other barren internet marketing forums.

SEO can be a supplemental (long term) strategy, to your existing marketing efforts. Relying on it as your bread and butter, however, is a fools game. Over the past 3 years, Google has effectively squeezed out SEOs, and allowed old money to make its way online.

source: I've played the SEO game since black hat, through the SMB service era.

It's no longer "Internet Marketing"

It's "Marketing"

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!