The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is there a dark side to the Fastlane?

G

GuestUser8117

Well, long time since I have posted. Today I want to ask you some thought provoking questions to ask yourself while on your journey to the Fastlane.

When you will be rich, What will you do with your days?
Sure you might buy a lamborghini and drive around, or learn the guitar, or play video games all day.
But the thing is, it will eventually get F*cking old.

And for those who have already made it, don't you get bored?

I was forced to get on welfare last year due to severe health problems. Chronic headaches, back pain, extreme fatigue, and other shit. But, I had freedom. this thing that everyone here is working so hard for.

I could wake up at whatever time I wanted, do whatever I want with my days.

Here's what happened, I got lazy, I had no plan for my days, and got bored like hell. Oh and I forgot the social life. Mine? Inexistant. Usually you meet people, at work, or at school. But I don't do both, so all my friends have disappeared. At least I have started to write an ebook.

I still want the big money, but I don't think I would be happier, except if I moved to a beautiful country like italy.

What do you think?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AustinS28

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Sep 25, 2014
Manhattan, NY
I think you'll never be successful if you worry about trivial things like this.

I don't think anyone that has built something from the ground up has the personality that would lead to laziness or living without a purpose. I think if you get to the point where you can buy your lambo you're probably working on something bigger and better. You may have the luxury to work on your own terms (time, location etc) and do the things you want to do in life...but you'll be in some capacity trying to extend your purpose and success.

Last edited:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Well, long time since I have posted. Today I want to ask you some thought provoking questions to ask yourself while on your journey to the Fastlane.

Sure you might buy a lamborghini and drive around, or learn the guitar, or play video games all day.

I was forced to get on welfare last year due to severe health problems. Chronic headaches, back pain, extreme fatigue, and other shit. But, I had freedom. this thing that everyone here is working so hard for.

Here's what happened, I got lazy, I had no plan for my days, and got bored like hell. Oh and I forgot the social life. Mine? Inexistant. Usually you meet people, at work, or at school. But I don't do both, so all my friends have disappeared. At least I have started to write an ebook.

I still want the big money, but I don't think I would be happier, except if I moved to a beautiful country like italy.

What do you think?

I think if you are on welfare, you don't have freedom. You're a slave to the whims of what ever political winds blow, and eventually the game wins out. You didn't have fastlane freedom. You weren't doing what ever you want, when ever you want, where ever you want. Doing nothing is not the same as being free. You didn't have fastlane freedom. In fact, you had the opposite.

And to answer your question, there is always another mountain to climb.

I moved the thread to a more relevant category.

Salvador8907

1 AU
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Jan 15, 2016
1 AU

What do you think?
On the perspective from the fastlane entrepreneur, once that person reaches freedom from whatever, sure theyll get bored! We are human and we must trully get bored so we are excited when a surprise event happens to us. But lazy? I doubt it, that person didnt get rich and aquire freedom from having a lazy way of being. I am sure whatever an entrepreneur gets their hands on, they do it because they need too, and will work like hell.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

LOL, that's because you lived with your parents. In other words, you got shit free and didn't earn jack. That's the dark side, and it certainly isn't freedom. It's dependence.

Is there a dark side to the Fastlane?
Is there a dark side to the Moon?
To report on the moon, you first would need to experience it. You haven't.

germandude

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Jan 4, 2016
Europe
Am I crazy for not seeing how being on welfare gives you freedom? You only have time (even that is limited, you have to report to someone all the time), but you can't afford to go anywhere, you cannot create new ventures, you can't build anything of value and you have no real control of anything. Not to mention that you are piggybacking on the backs of millions of people busting their asses the whole time. You were sick, so it definitely acceptable, but a lot of those on welfare are lazy. And I don't mean just lazy in their work.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

What do you think?

LOL, you had freedom? Really. Could you have flow to Paris on 24 hours notice? Could you go to any restaurant that you wanted to? What were you free to do? to afford?

You had time to do what you wanted. But you chose to do nothing with that time.

People who are miserable poor will be miserable when wealthy. What were you going to do, but yourself a social life after you made millions?

Some of the happiest times spent with friends involve spending no money at all.

The only darkside to getting to the Fastlane is knowing that you can solve problems and not having the time to solve them all.

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ

Growth & Learn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jan 1, 2015
Southern California

What do you think?

It's a million times more positive than negative. Literally and figuratively :)

The journey of building a fast lane business will make you a better person in many ways. You'll build lots of good habits along the way and start to understand more of what makes you happy and tick.

Fastlane = knowledge of thy self.

Buickestate

any colour as long as it comes with wood
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 4, 2015
Ontario
If there is a dark side to the fast lane then I'm willing to experience it, I'm sure they have good cookies there.....

you can't afford to go anywhere, you cannot create new ventures, you can't build anything of value and you have no real control of anything. Not to mention that you are piggybacking on the backs of millions of people busting their asses the whole time

those on welfare who do try to improve and change get penalized for their efforts and often held back, the system doesn't encourage people who are on welfare to improve their lives and get off the system. It was only meant to be a safety net not the way of life it has become for many.

Last edited:

Salvador8907

1 AU
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Jan 15, 2016
1 AU
LOL, you had freedom? Really. Could you have flow to Paris on 24 hours notice? Could you go to any restaurant that you wanted to? What were you free to do? to afford?

You had time to do what you wanted. But you chose to do nothing with that time.

People who are miserable poor will be miserable when wealthy. What were you going to do, but yourself a social life after you made millions?

Some of the happiest times spent with friends involve spending no money at all.

The only darkside to getting to the Fastlane is knowing that you can solve problems and not having the time to solve them all.
And not having the time to solve them all. Wow, couldn't have said it better.

I really want to put myself in that position, that feeling must feelbgreat, i will work hard for that position.

Last edited:

FreshStart87

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jun 28, 2013
New Jersey
Living in NJ I see plenty of people on welfare buying soda and junk food at the grocery store pulling out wic/welfare checks then, they hop into there leased Mercedes Benz. I have always thought this isn't freedom but unfair when I work bring home 6 figures and drive a 2005 altima with over 225,000 miles. Thank Goodness to this forum I am seeing the real dark side of a sidewalk lifestyle. To me the light is towards the fastlane.

G

GuestUser8117

Oups, I put the thread in the wrong category. I'm not proud of being on welfare, actually I hate it, but I can't have a job because of my health condition. I have to survive I'm on my own now. I really regret that I didn't use my time more intelligently. And I have a piano and I think I can make my talent profitable. I spend my days and nights practicing piano and researching business ideas. But for the action part and implementation I can't do it. I don't know why.

It's true that I don't have total freedom, only time freedom. And how an awesome story it would be to build wealth from a sidewalk perspective like mine. I mean poorness. I have a lot to do, it's overwhelming. And don't worry I don't drink beer or smoke cigars with the money lol, it is used for food and rent.

JustAskBenWhy

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Sep 8, 2015
Lima, OH
The FastLane is about freedom...freedom to do what? Is it to sit on your a$$, scratch yourself, and eat chips...?! No shit you're bored!

The FastLane is about FREEDOM TO CREATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When you're busy earning a living, there's no time to create. I am free when I can put my mind to something, and then be able to pursue it. I might succeed, or I might fail. But, I am free to try, and this - I am never bored!

The OP completely missed the boat on life, it seems :)

Leo Hendrix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Apr 15, 2014
Have you found your purpose in life? Your Mission? you had and still have other dreams beside freedom right?

Isnt the point of achieving freedom to work on our passion projects etc?

Read The 10 Commandments of making money and other articles, we shouldnt ever really 'retire' to live long and give back/contribute something to this world.

Newpollz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
Nov 14, 2015

What do you think?

If you never get bored how will you know when you are living happy moments. Freedom is not staying at home and jacking off all day playing games and smoking weed. Freedom is.

Look at it this way:

Next time you get a parking or speeding ticket. When the cop will pull you over you won't give two F*cks what will happen next.
Next time you take your woman out to dinner, order and the food taste like shit. You won't care as much, you just pay, walk out and go somewhere else.
Next time the cashier takes 30 minutes getting change on your 20 bucks you can tell her keep it as my time is more precious and I gotta go now.
Next time someone around you, "makes it" or succeed, you actually won't be F*cking jealous, you''ll be happy!
Next time your washing machine breaks unexpectedly, you won't have to donate sperm or get a job cleaning sperm flasks (hey sorry but turns out it's the only job that called you back)
Next time a family member is in distress or a dear friend you won't have to say "Sorry bro, can't do nothing"

and most importantly:

BECOME ON THE SIDE THAT GIVES NOT THE SIDE THAT RECEIVES! AS MUCH AS YOU CAN!

Lambos, mansions are all ways of living in excess. I like still dre song when dr dre says:

Dr. Dre be the name still running the game
Still got it wrapped like a mummy
Still ain't tripping, love to see young blacks get money
Spend time out the hood, take they moms out the hood
Hit my boys off with jobs, no more living hard
Barbeques every day, driving fancy cars
Still gon' get mine regardless

Tiger TT

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Dec 25, 2015
Oh and I forgot the social life. Mine? Inexistant. Usually you meet people, at work, or at school. But I don't do both, so all my friends have disappeared.

Well, if your social life is inexistant, here's a simple and
effective solution for you:

Join dance studios and go to dancing classes.

Go to one dance studio and take salsa/bachata lessons there,
go to another one and take tango lessons there.

This gives you 2 days to socialize. And you'll also
have days to practice the stuff you learn, which
adds 2 more days to socialize and meet new
people other than your own class.

That makes 4 days.

Then if you want you can also go to whatever
dance party you like, because you know how to
dance.

After 6 months you'll meet tons of new people and
have new friends to hangout with.

For example; yesterday I was at a dance party and
I had conversations with 11 people, said
"hi" to approx. 20 people and I danced with
approx. 15 girls.

This kind of experience recharges you a lot
for the next few days and creates new
social circles.

Imgal

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Aug 9, 2015
You're lazy and bored because you have no PURPOSE!! Fastlaners never "retire" and do nothing because their purpose/mission is much bigger than themselves.

This.

Two of my biggest drivers in everything I do are to be incredibly successful at it and be better than everyone else (I'm a competitive soul!). I have never been driven by the desire to get to the point where I'm rich and can sit at home all day and do nothing.

Success is great. Having financial security also takes some stress away, but neither satisfy me enough. I truly believe I will be working till the moment I drop down dead. It may change at times from being more commercially focused to being directed more to philanthropic ventures, but stop and do nothing? Never going to happen.

OP mentioned having freedom to do anything, whenever they wanted. Things haven't gone well for all of the time. There's been times in the past when I sunk to lows I didn't believe imaginable and questioned whether it was worth going on. Despite that there hasn't been a day when I haven't been up by at least 6.30am working on something to give myself a better future. The smallest of actions continuously can take you a long way.

@Omerta, you should definitely check out@AndrewNC's post - https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/categories/your-vehicle-you.74/ - the biggest issue in moving forward is having no real clarity to where you're looking to end up. If your vision for the future is vague then the ways you attempt to achieve it will mirror that, something which can often cause those feelings of overwhelm. The truth is it's not overwhelm. Once a vision is clear then what needs to be done and what doesn't suddenly becomes a whole lot clearer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tiger TT

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Dec 25, 2015
Despite that there hasn't been a day when I haven't been up by at least 6.30am working on something to give myself a better future. The smallest of actions continuously can take you a long way.

I tried to get up that early countless times, but I
couldn't succeed (there was a time when I
actually did succeed for about 5 months, but I
had a strong motivator at that time).

I really want to get up early and have much more
time to spend for my business and also for my
hobbies, but I just can't do it.

How do you manage to get up at 6.30am? Any tips?

Imgal

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Aug 9, 2015
I tried to get up that early countless times, but I
couldn't succeed (there was a time when I
actually did succeed for about 5 months, but I
had a strong motivator at that time).

I really want to get up early and have much more
time to spend for my business and also for my
hobbies, but I just can't do it.

Honestly? Be prepared to fail for the first few weeks. You're going to give into yourself and the thoughts it would be nicer to sleep. I've actually been getting up at 5.30am for the last couple of weeks and I failed for 4 weeks before that. I thought I was being nice to myself by letting myself sleep in... then I realised it was quite the opposite. I wanted to get up earlier so I had time to just have some quiet time for me to meditate, plan and just get my head straight before starting the day so I could get more out of it. Looking at it this way I realised sleeping in was actually pretty selfish. Sure the me right that second got a little bit more rest, but I was actually doing a disservice to the future me. Realise you're hurting yourself by keep on sleeping in. Realise you're being your only worse enemy. Realise the future you is looking back at you shaking it's head in sadness and you'll bounce out of bed!

On a more practical note, if you have an iPhone use the Sleep Cycle app, it wakes you up at the time you are most wakeful in a half an hour period before you need to get up. I always end up feeling lots more refreshed using this over a standard alarm!

Tiger TT

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Dec 25, 2015
Honestly? Be prepared to fail for the first few weeks. You're going to give into yourself and the thoughts it would be nicer to sleep. I've actually been getting up at 5.30am for the last couple of weeks and I failed for 4 weeks before that. I thought I was being nice to myself by letting myself sleep in... then I realised it was quite the opposite. I wanted to get up earlier so I had time to just have some quiet time for me to meditate, plan and just get my head straight before starting the day so I could get more out of it. Looking at it this way I realised sleeping in was actually pretty selfish. Sure the me right that second got a little bit more rest, but I was actually doing a disservice to the future me. Realise you're hurting yourself by keep on sleeping in. Realise you're being your only worse enemy. Realise the future you is looking back at you shaking it's head in sadness and you'll bounce out of bed!

On a more practical note, if you have an iPhone use the Sleep Cycle app, it wakes you up at the time you are most wakeful in a half an hour period before you need to get up. I always end up feeling lots more refreshed using this over a standard alarm!

Imgal, thank you for taking your time
to answer my question.

This will help me a lot:

"Realise the future you is looking back at you shaking
it's head in sadness and you'll bounce out of bed!"

I will start using this starting from tomorrow morning!

randomnumber314

speed of a drunk camel
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 7, 2014
Minnesoooota,USA

Have something that you want to get done, something that motivates you to stay up late, wake up early.

In other words, enjoy living awake more than you enjoy living asleep. Most of the people I know who are successful can't wait to wake up and get after it.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
a more relevant category
[HASHTAG]#landfill[/HASHTAG]

@Omerta you've been here for more than 4 years now and have done nothing with your life. You cry in every single one of your posts. Your post is full of bullshit thats not even worth commenting on. You need to get off your a$$ and get to work.

The solution is simple: stop posting, get a job (fixes being a social welfare loser leech), get a hobby (fixes your social life) and start to work out (fixes your health issues). After you fixed the basic pillars of your life, you can start to build a business on the side.

But people on this forum already told you the same stuff in multiple of the same whiney threads you opened and you did nothing with the advice. So maybe you're just not built for this. Maybe social welfare is the way to go for you.

Gsuz

If you want the crown, you gotta take it
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Jul 3, 2012
[HASHTAG]#landfill[/HASHTAG]

@Omerta you've been here for more than 4 years now and have done nothing with your life. You cry in every single one of your posts. Your post is full of bullshit thats not even worth commenting on. You need to get off your a$$ and get to work.

The solution is simple: stop posting, get a job (fixes being a social welfare loser leech), get a hobby (fixes your social life) and start to work out (fixes your health issues). After you fixed the basic pillars of your life, you can start to build a business on the side.

But people on this forum already told you the same stuff in multiple of the same whiney threads you opened and you did nothing with the advice. So maybe you're just not built for this. Maybe social welfare is the way to go for you.

/thread

This should be autoreplied to every Omerta thread.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
And I have a piano and I think I can make my talent profitable.

I would less worry about it be profitable than using it as source for inspiration and dedication in getting you out of your whiny funk, which BTW, seems not to be a funk, but a way of life.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario

You've answered your question.

Your motivations are all wrong. Your ideas about this are wrong, too.

You want the big money because you think it'll fix the stuff that's wrong with you. You're depressed, you've got chronic health issues, and you're socially maladjusted. I don't pretend to know what's happened in your life, but I do know that posting here is not fixing it.

Here's what's up: we cannot relate to you. We're working on things. We're putting ourselves out there. We're outside our comfort zone, doing things that scare us, testing the boundaries of our experience and knowledge, and working at our 100%.

You're not doing any of these things. You're sitting around, feeling sorry for yourself, and nothing has changed in four years.

Hate to say it, but this is not where you should be at this point in your life. You're not ready to take value creation seriously.

When was the last time you ate three healthy meals in one day? Or did some exercise that challenged you (within your physical limitations)? Or stuck to a productive routine of any sort?

Are you even taking showers and brushing your teeth regularly? Or cleaning your living space regularly? Or talking to people that you can honestly call 'friends'?

I don't know why you asked for your account back. You're not mentally ready to be here. Get your shit together.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.