The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to make it more profitable

mosdef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 1, 2014
First I would like to thank everyone on this forum. Has since last year been making money outside my slowlane job. Thanks.

My Situation: Created one product and imported another from China.

Profit: Varies from 30$/month to 600$/month. I only sell in my home country. Want to sell in bigger markets like Ebay or Amazon.

Problem: Cant compete with sellers outside my country. Why? Because my shipping time is longer, and sellers in the bigger markets like Great Britain, France, Germany and so on can offer free shipping and I can't. What do I do give up? Nope, tried to import more products and focus on market in my country. Problem is that the market is so small that I only sell about 1-2 products each month. And i have been looking for more products to add for about 12 months now.

Question 1: Can I somehow compete with sellers in the biggers markets? Feels like i tried every possible way. Even cut my profits in half to be able to compete with them but still not possible since their shipping is going to be faster and cheaper.

Question 2: Can I somehow increase sales in my home country? Can't seem to find products that sell more than 1-2 each month. 12 months and no progress.

I'm not ready to give up just yet. The feeling of making money while I'm sleeping is amazing. Even if its just 100$.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

mosdef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 1, 2014
a humble bump

D

Deleted20833

What country do you live in?

Instead importing products, you can learn how to create
in demand products yourself so there is more profit

Or sell digital products...this way shipping is no longer
a concern

hughjasle

AutoPilot
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Dec 25, 2012
Anywhere with internet
Question 1: Can I somehow compete with sellers in the biggers markets? Feels like i tried every possible way. Even cut my profits in half to be able to compete with them but still not possible since their shipping is going to be faster and cheaper.
One Solution: Get your products shipped/fulfilled from the same country you are trying to sell in.

Question 2: Can I somehow increase sales in my home country? Can't seem to find products that sell more than 1-2 each month. 12 months and no progress.
One Solution/Answer: Market it - Improve the product - rank better. Are you the top and only seller of this product? If not, then yes there is room to grow.

mosdef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 1, 2014
One Solution: Get your products shipped/fulfilled from the same country you are trying to sell in.

One Solution/Answer: Market it - Improve the product - rank better. Are you the top and only seller of this product? If not, then yes there is room to grow.

1.) How do i get the product shipped and fulfilled from my desired country? Where can i learn about this? Tried to find info regarding this for a while now.

2. Since the market is pretty small whatever product i choose there will only be 1-3 sellers on each product. Also the site that im selling on is not providing any ranking system. Its really easy to come on the first site.

mosdef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 1, 2014
What country do you live in?

Instead importing products, you can learn how to create
in demand products yourself so there is more profit

Or sell digital products...this way shipping is no longer
a concern

i live in Sweden :) Good country in many ways, business can be little tough thou. In demand products? What is that? :)

Digital product!!!! How can i missed that? Will look into that. Thanks.

mosdef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 1, 2014
Can you send it to Amazon FBA and still come away with a profit of any kind?

Its very hard to make it profitable. First buy products+ shipping for Asia. Then ship it to Amazon ( its cost some, because not in the same country) And then amazon takes its fees. And last the swedish tax is 50% of all profit. Still haven't find a product that can survive all these costs. If you have any tips on how to search for better product im listening :)

CrazyChris

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Feb 12, 2015
1.) How do i get the product shipped and fulfilled from my desired country? Where can i learn about this? Tried to find info regarding this for a while now.

Google this: "third-party logistic" and "Fulfillment Centre"

mosdef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 1, 2014
Google this: "third-party logistic" and "Fulfillment Centre"

Thanks for the help. But this works just like Amazon FBA? In that case, since I need to put a bar code on every product I must have them shipped to me first and then to fulfillment centre? In that case, all the shipping has killed all the profit. Or it will be just small money left.

mosdef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 1, 2014
if i add about 90 products and each of them sell about 2 each month, then i will be able to live on just importing and selling :)

Is this the way to go?

D

Deleted20833

i live in Sweden :) Good country in many ways, business can be little tough thou. In demand products? What is that? :)

Digital product!!!! How can i missed that? Will look into that. Thanks.

Look for product that are selling well in your country and see if you can
make them yourself (e.i. massage oil)

Digital products are the best - no shipping & high profit margins

Leo Hendrix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Apr 15, 2014
Marketing and Sales, have you looked at Growth hacking and Guerilla Marketing?

You must have some advantage over others based outside of your country, you could know your customer more intimately, know the problems and therefore solutions they might face and have personally, use your position of locality to an advantage, avoid being commoditized and MJ said in TMF and competing on price alone. It's your market and turf, own it.

SEBASTlAN

Marketing Wizard
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Dec 22, 2014
Los Angeles
Its very hard to make it profitable. First buy products+ shipping for Asia. Then ship it to Amazon ( its cost some, because not in the same country) And then amazon takes its fees. And last the swedish tax is 50% of all profit. Still haven't find a product that can survive all these costs. If you have any tips on how to search for better product im listening :)
Have you thought about sourcing a new, more profitable product?

mosdef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 1, 2014
Have you thought about sourcing a new, more profitable product?

yes i have. Have been looking for new products for about 12 months. Cant find anything with that much profit. If you have any tips on how i can find such products i would be grateful :)

The products ive found left me with about 1-5 dollars after everything.

mosdef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 1, 2014
Marketing and Sales, have you looked at Growth hacking and Guerilla Marketing?

You must have some advantage over others based outside of your country, you could know your customer more intimately, know the problems and therefore solutions they might face and have personally, use your position of locality to an advantage, avoid being commoditized and MJ said in TMF and competing on price alone. It's your market and turf, own it.

not sure i understand? Why would i know my uk based customers more intimately than the sellers in the UK?

mosdef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 1, 2014
Look for product that are selling well in your country and see if you can
make them yourself (e.i. massage oil)

Digital products are the best - no shipping & high profit margins

actually some of the products that im selling atm is something ive made myself. Its selling thousands on ebay each day. I sell about 1-10 each month.

Digital products is something i must make myself? I cant sell other peoples stuff and profit?

Leo Hendrix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Apr 15, 2014
Ok @ mosdef, my mistake I didnt read your postings properly, have your read through posts related to your situation? There could be some valuable insights in a progress and execution thread or something else someone has shared here already, idk.

D

Deleted20833

actually some of the products that im selling atm is something ive made myself. Its selling thousands on ebay each day. I sell about 1-10 each month.

Digital products is something i must make myself? I cant sell other peoples stuff and profit?

Well you can sell a mixture of everything, that is what I do

These are my sales from Feb 5 on eBay - just so you know it works

feb_sales.jpg

mosdef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 1, 2014
Ok @ mosdef, my mistake I didnt read your postings properly, have your read through posts related to your situation? There could be some valuable insights in a progress and execution thread or something else someone has shared here already, idk.

try to find some info every day regarding similar situations. Some say its doable some say its impossible.

mosdef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 1, 2014
Well you can sell a mixture of everything, that is what I do

These are my sales from Feb 5 on eBay - just so you know it works

feb_sales.jpg

im really grateful for you helping me out. I signed up for on your email list. When you sell digital products, is that product something you made by yourself? Or do you sell other people digital products?

D

Deleted20833

im really grateful for you helping me out. I signed up for on your email list. When you sell digital products, is that product something you made by yourself? Or do you sell other people digital products?

Yes I made myself and things I have the resell rights to

Growth & Learn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jan 1, 2015
Southern California
Build a backend through additional customer followups, more products, and most importantly upsells and cross sells.

Give them lots of reasons to do further business with you. It's not about the 1st sale as much as it is about the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. etc.

If you do this strategically, this could turn your $600 a month business into $600 per day.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.