The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Google Domains as Domain Name Registrar

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I just registered a new domain name through Google Domains that I am going to pair with a test eCommerce site I am building with Shopify. I thought it would be an interesting experiment.

My theory (totally unsubstantiated) is that Google gives preference to things Google controls. A conspiracy theorist by nature, something tells me that deep within the search algorithms might be preferential treatment for a Google controlled domain. Now, I have zero facts to back this up. However, in the case of a coin flip, there is nothing for Google to have to authenticate about a domain URL as Google knows that my domain name, that I bought through them and that sits on their servers with them being the registrar... is legit.

And since I am obsessed with Google, it made perfect sense for me to take the next swig of the Kool Aid and see if it eases the pain any more.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
might be preferential treatment for a Google controlled domain.

You successful domain name means successful renewals. Hence, more money in their pockets. Hence, shareholders are happy. Let's just say that it wouldn't surprise me one bit to think it's one of their weighting variables.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Here's another interesting thing about the Google domain services. When it comes to integrating email, Google already knows who you are when you are utilizing Google services in other arenas. The integration allows you to skip verification and compatibility steps.

Here's an example :

email forwarding for your new domain name email addresses to an existing Gmail address = no verification steps

vs.

email forwarding for your new domain name email addresses to an external email address = requires verification

Alan LT

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Nov 1, 2014
South Florida
I like using google domain. It makes the process of setting up everything much simpler. Also, they were nice enough to offer me a free domain.

Rodeo

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
May 25, 2015
I drink the Google KoolAid too and never knew they did this. Interesting viewpoint on how Google could serve the domain. You may be onto something. Thanks for sharing!

I just registered a new domain name through Google Domains that I am going to pair with a test eCommerce site I am building with Shopify. I thought it would be an interesting experiment.

My theory (totally unsubstantiated) is that Google gives preference to things Google controls. A conspiracy theorist by nature, something tells me that deep within the search algorithms might be preferential treatment for a Google controlled domain. Now, I have zero facts to back this up. However, in the case of a coin flip, there is nothing for Google to have to authenticate about a domain URL as Google knows that my domain name, that I bought through them and that sits on their servers with them being the registrar... is legit.

And since I am obsessed with Google, it made perfect sense for me to take the next swig of the Kool Aid and see if it eases the pain any more.

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA

The next swig of the Google kool aid will be Google Fiber. But very few cities have it right now. :(

https://fiber.google.com/newcities/

For internet entrepreneurs and marketers I can think of very few things that top the list for easing pain than extremely fast internet speeds.

Austin, TX has it and that's another reason I might go there after college.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
The next swig of the Google kool aid will be Google Fiber. But very few cities have it right now. :(

https://fiber.google.com/newcities/

For internet entrepreneurs and marketers I can think of very few things that top the list for easing pain than extremely fast internet speeds.

Austin, TX has it and that's another reason I might go there after college.

And it's coming to Tampa

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Migrating all my domains over there, except one critical one that I can't afford the email conversion to be down for any length of time.

The BEST part of Google Domains for new purchases is zero google authentication of ownership. No need for the usual authentication steps in Google Webmaster for ownership authentication. It is automatic and instantaneous.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.