The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Raised $1 mill in private equity

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

SWB

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Mar 12, 2013
Sydney
Hi everyone, thought I should share a story.

In 2013 I built a model to disrupt a certain industry that needed disrupting.

I need $$$ to promote the business. I joined forces with a group and raised $1,000,000 to fund the expansion.

We built a board, and even though I had been on many boards before, this was the first time I had to create one. I was the only one with industry experience, so I was appointed CEO and I was forced to have one particular person on it who I had doubts about.

Everything was going well, we were above budget and had a great pipeline. I was having problems with that one director but had support from the others.

One day, "trouble" (that particular director) was acting inappropriately in the office and abusing staff. I asked him to leave. He left and then wanted to beat me up afterwards. Nice.

That night trouble called a board meeting and I was rolled.

I recovered my property and pursued the organisation and trouble for their actions, and the IP in the business. I came out ok and have since bounced back 3 fold.

Moral of the story, be very careful who you go into business with. If there are any doubts, don't do it. Raising capital has pitfalls. Make sure your board comprises of people who can assist you, not a group of friends.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Knugs

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jan 10, 2016
How is the company doing without you now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SWB

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Mar 12, 2013
Sydney
@Knugs after I left the business all but the people who had a shareholding resigned. I cut ties with the people there during the legal process but I heard on the "grape vine" that they had to raise more money, for what I'm not sure. The troubled director was eventually removed and a new person appointed. I don't know how they are travelling today but they are still going.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.