The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Networking Advice

Braden

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Oct 19, 2015
Hello everybody, I am in need of some advice.
Lately I have been trying to step up my networking game and get out of my comfortable vacuum to find opportunities. After bugging a secretary a few times, I was able to get scheduled to meet the Director of Entrepreneurship for my state's largest university. He is also a long time member of the city council.
Not realizing I might get to this point, I am currently brainstorming questions to ask him. I recently finished reading Carnegie's How to Win Friends and Influence People, and I understand I must become genuinely interested in him. "You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get other people interested in you."
Anyways I always have so many "aha" moments after browsing this forum, that I thought I would try and get advice from you guys. I don't want to miss something and then kick myself later for not addressing it.
Thanks!
Braden

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Lately I have been trying to step up my networking game and get out of my comfortable vacuum to find opportunities. After bugging a secretary a few times, I was able to get scheduled to meet the Director of Entrepreneurship for my state's largest university. He is also a long time member of the city council.
Not realizing I might get to this point, I am currently brainstorming questions to ask him. I recently finished reading Carnegie's How to Win Friends and Influence People, and I understand I must become genuinely interested in him. "You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get other people interested in you."
Anyways I always have so many "aha" moments after browsing this forum, that I thought I would try and get advice from you guys. I don't want to miss something and then kick myself later for not addressing it.
Thanks!
Braden
What are you hoping to achieve in your meeting? What will you bring to this Director of Entrepreneurship that will help him?

Braden

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Oct 19, 2015
What are you hoping to achieve in your meeting? What will you bring to this Director of Entrepreneurship that will help him?
Thanks for replying,

One of my goals for this new year was to surround myself with more success oriented people, which eventually brought me to this upcoming meeting. If it goes well I think he would be a great resource for upcoming fast-lane ideas I want to develop.

What can I bring to him? That is definitely something I overlooked. Sitting here and thinking about it, the Entrepreneurship Institute at the university is having a leadership change up. If I take one of the positions, I can bring more attention to the program (which is quite new). I think this could make him look good as a politician. Just a thought.

fhs8

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jan 22, 2016
Thanks for replying,

One of my goals for this new year was to surround myself with more success oriented people, which eventually brought me to this upcoming meeting. If it goes well I think he would be a great resource for upcoming fast-lane ideas I want to develop.

That's vague. How would he be a great resource for upcoming fast-lane ideas? Why don't you go a step further and think of the fast-lane ideas right now? Why do you need him?

What can I bring to him? That is definitely something I overlooked. Sitting here and thinking about it, the Entrepreneurship Institute at the university is having a leadership change up. If I take one of the positions, I can bring more attention to the program (which is quite new). I think this could make him look good as a politician. Just a thought.

The words entrepreneurship and university don't mix together. Universities are geared for the working man to get an education and work for someone else. I don't know much about such programs but I doubt they'll hire you because you've never ran a sucessful business before and basically have no experience. Also they'd probably want someone with a degree to fill the position and you should see how hirings happen. Usually there is an HR dept that is only capable of selecting candidates and hiring.

It doesn't hurt that you're talking to someone but you should probably be doing something else as well since this almost certainly lead to no where. Don't put all your eggs in one basket.

I mean based on your reasoning why shouldn't they hire me? I can bring more attention to the program as well. Has the director of entrepreneurship actually ran a business before?

Last edited:

Braden

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Oct 19, 2015
That's vague. How would he be a great resource for upcoming fast-lane ideas? Why don't you go a step further and think of the fast-lane ideas right now? Why do you need him?

The words entrepreneurship and university don't mix together. Universities are geared for the working man to get an education and work for someone else. I don't know much about such programs but I doubt they'll hire you because you've never ran a sucessful business before and basically have no experience. Also they'd probably want someone with a degree to fill the position and you should see how hirings happen. Usually there is an HR dept that is only capable of selecting candidates and hiring.

It doesn't hurt that you're talking to someone but you should probably be doing something else as well since this almost certainly lead to no where. Don't put all your eggs in one basket.

I mean based on your reasoning why shouldn't they hire me? I can bring more attention to the program as well. Has the director of entrepreneurship actually ran a business before?
He would be a great resource the same way the Fastlane Forum is. No, I do not NEED him to develop my ideas, I am following my own plan of action for them. So yeah, no single egg baskets.

As for the position, the one they told me about anyway, is a non paid student position. You don't need a degree or experience or anything, but you also won't be teaching anybody. I would hust be helping them out. But I need more details on that myself.

I see where you are coming from on your opinion on the "U" word. In my particular circumstance, it has helped me in other aspects (social, learning to be independent, etc.). But I agree that you cannot rely on college/degree to be succesfull or to start a business.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

Braden

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Oct 19, 2015
He would be a great resource the same way the Fastlane Forum is. No, I do not NEED him to develop my ideas, I am following my own plan of action for them. So yeah, no single egg baskets.

As for the position, the one they told me about anyway, is a non paid student position. You don't need a degree or experience or anything, but you also won't be teaching anybody. I would hust be helping them out. But I need more details on that myself.

I see where you are coming from on your opinion on the "U" word. In my particular circumstance, it has helped me in other aspects (social, learning to be independent, etc.). But I agree that you cannot rely on college/degree to be succesfull or to start a business.

And yes he ran a business.

fhs8

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jan 22, 2016
And yes he ran a business.

You should ask him why he stopped running his business. If it's anything but "I sold my business for X amount of dollars" or "I gave my business to my children" then you should have follow up questions on what exactly happened or if he really meant running a business by being a director. I'm a little curious as to why someone would leave such a successful business to work at a lower paying enterpenuership position at a university.

Braden

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Oct 19, 2015
You should ask him why he stopped running his business. If it's anything but "I sold my business for X amount of dollars" or "I gave my business to my children" then you should have follow up questions on what exactly happened or if he really meant running a business by being a director. I'm a little curious as to why someone would leave such a successful business to work at a lower paying enterpenuership position at a university.
I actually don't know if he is still running it or what. It was some online graphic design company I believe. Either way it's probably a good idea to ask him about it though.

Braden

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Oct 19, 2015
I don't get it. I'd have no interest in meeting with this person.
Well I guess I will see what he is about this week. "Every man I meet is my superior in some way, and in that I learn from him."

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Well I guess I will see what he is about this week. "Every man I meet is my superior in some way, and in that I learn from him."

I guess I am foggy on the purpose of the meeting. What is the end goal?

If you don't have a clear end goal in mind, and bring information to help reach that end goal, I predict a very awkward meeting.

What did you tell the secretary that got you the meeting in the first place?

drifter

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 10, 2016
Canada
He may appease you and give you a shard of his time, however I would suggest that it's hardly worth your time or effort to try and network in academia - you need real world networking.

Have you checked your local Chamber of Commerce? Have you looked into the local scene in terms of events that could be of interest? Attend those to do some networking. What are you looking to get out of this meeting? If you know what you want to pursue - seek those who are already engaged in that realm out and see if they'll talk to you.

To find success oriented people, look around you at those venues... who has a business that's thriving? Put in the leg work, do your research. Also, it's not necessary to be in the physical presence of success oriented people - plenty right here on this forum who'll actually give you their time and advice ( since time isn't a factor as they can reply whenever they have time)...

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Thanks!
Braden

Interview him.

Tell him you're writing a piece about whether Entrepreneurship can be taught or not, and that your intention is to get it into the local newspaper, and in front of as many students as possible.

Ask if he believes entrepreurship is a useful skill to society.

Ask if he believes people should just do it, or if there's any benefits studying it first.

List your questions.

Show him where you plan to get the piece promoted, and how you plan to get eyeballs.

Go in prepared with all this typed up.

Bring a voice recorder too.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
My best networking tip? Help people. They'll then tell others.

Don't focus on "numbers". Go deep, not wide.

From my signature:

“Never worry about numbers. Help one person at a time, and always start with the person nearest you.” – Mother Theresa

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Interview him.

Tell him you're writing a piece about whether Entrepreneurship can be taught or not, and that you're intention is to get it into the local newspaper, and in front of as many students as possible.

Ask if he believes people should just do it, or if there's any benefits studying it first.

List your questions.

Show him where you plan to get the piece promoted, and how you plan to get eyeballs.

Nice twist Andy.

Braden

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Oct 19, 2015
Interview him.

Tell him you're writing a piece about whether Entrepreneurship can be taught or not, and that you're intention is to get it into the local newspaper, and in front of as many students as possible.

List your questions.

Thanks I will definitely try this... Ordered a recorder off of amazon yesterday!
I often find myself spending my time reading lots of books about entrepreneurship rather than actually acting on it. I convince myself that reading about it is action.

Braden

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Oct 19, 2015
He may appease you and give you a shard of his time, however I would suggest that it's hardly worth your time or effort to try and network in academia - you need real world networking.

Have you checked your local Chamber of Commerce? Have you looked into the local scene in terms of events that could be of interest? Attend those to do some networking. What are you looking to get out of this meeting? If you know what you want to pursue - seek those who are already engaged in that realm out and see if they'll talk to you.

To find success oriented people, look around you at those venues... who has a business that's thriving? Put in the leg work, do your research. Also, it's not necessary to be in the physical presence of success oriented people - plenty right here on this forum who'll actually give you their time and advice ( since time isn't a factor as they can reply whenever they have time)...

Ok, so I think what I am getting here is that I need to have a more defined goal. I don't no specifically how meeting with this guy is going to help me with my business ideas, I guess I was hoping he could share some experience or ideas. Lately I have just been looking for real life people with some sort of entrepreneurship mentality to talk with around here.

Chamber of Commerce? I will look into that.

fhs8

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Jan 22, 2016
Interview him.

That's pretty bad advice. He's going to ask which newspaper. Lying about things isn't the best way to gain someone's trust. Also newpsapers are dead.

The guy works at an entrepreuership branch of the college. Of course you know what the answer to that is. The response will be of little help to anyone.

List your questions.

He's not going to put this in the newspaper. I don't even see a point to putting it in a newspaper. He doesn't want to work as a newspaper editor.

You don't know what jurisdiction this person is in. In some states in the US what you're sugguesting he do (eavesdropping) would be considered at least a class A misdemeanor or even felony. In some states in the US ALL parties to a conversation must consent to being recorded with some exceptions but a private meeting about business is not one of them.

Last edited:

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Last edited by a moderator:

Please SEARCH before posting.