The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The big win! Lotto ticket lifestyle of the masses

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
I just had to share this with you guys. I am not sure if this is sidewalk or slowlane, but I am putting it in slowlane because these people (along with me, haha) are working slowlane jobs.

I went down to the +15 level of our building (in the downtown core) to pick up a bus ticket. There was pretty much a 2 day blizzard and the temperatures dropped to ~ -15, not good weather to be riding my bike to work in. Anyways, at the “corner store†where I was getting my bus ticket there were two people in the line in front of me. The first guy bought scratch tickets and a pop, the second guy got some chips and a drink and a Lotto Max ticket, I got my bus pass, there were a few people behind me and not sure what they got.

While I was in line there was a guy scanning the barcodes on his Lotto Max tickets from the week before or something, he had to of had at least 10+ of the things! He was there going through them and scanning them the whole time, and was still scanning more after I left. They are not cheap either, I think the cheapest one goes for $6 or so, ranges up to over $20 if you get more numbers or some such.

I was blown away by how many people there were buying lotto and scratch tickets. That is seriously the only way people think that they are going to “get richâ€. It is both sad and funny at the same time. I am looking forward to getting out of this chicken coop!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

G-man422

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Oct 5, 2011
Ohio, USA
I'm right there with you Blackkramer,

It seems that whenever I go to the store, the people who are in line for lotto tickets are the ones who look like they can least afford to buy them. Sad and funny is exactly right.

But you can't win if you don't play . . . right? ;)

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Who the F*ck pays $20 for a lotto ticket? Egads, what a waste.

$20 can feed a family of four for a day!

One of my former Intel coworkers, someone highly educated and working in high volume manufacturing of semiconductor electronics, purchased a $20 ticket.

You would be surprised! An advanced degree doesn't inoculate you from bad choices.

daivey

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Apr 6, 2014
One of my former Intel coworkers, someone highly educated and working in high volume manufacturing of semiconductor electronics, purchased a $20 ticket.

You would be surprised! An advanced degree doesn't inoculate you from bad choices.

buy a lotto ticket is a bad choice? lol k. one thing if you're addicted, it's another to buy a few tickets here and there for fun...

cause people aren't allowed to have fun with their money?

you guys are so morally superior!!!

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
buy a lotto ticket is a bad choice? lol k. one thing if you're addicted, it's another to buy a few tickets here and there for fun...

cause people aren't allowed to have fun with their money?

you guys are so morally superior!!!

It's not about moral superiority. I'm not judging by buddy by him buying $20 of lottery tickets - it doesn't make him a bad person. It just makes him ignorant.

I've bought lottery tickets myself. Never more than 1 at a time, though. Your chances of winning are pretty much zero, and 20 times zero is still zero.

daivey

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Apr 6, 2014
It's not about moral superiority. I'm not judging by buddy by him buying $20 of lottery tickets - it doesn't make him a bad person. It just makes him ignorant.

I've bought lottery tickets myself. Never more than 1 at a time, though. Your chances of winning are pretty much zero, and 20 times zero is still zero.

Really. So someone goes and buys a lottery ticket, they know their chances to win are slim to none... But that makes the person ignorant.. but you are wise?

lol

and that's not looking down at the world from a pedestal?

You are judging him. By calling him ignorant, you are judging him. Because it's subjective what people do with their money for fun.

YOU think buying a lotto ticket is ignorant. HE thinks buying a lotto ticket is fun/waste of time.

Are you not judging him?

Here is ignorance:
The sun goes around the earth.

Here is NOT ignorance:
I enjoy having a cigarette every now and then because it makes me feel good. Yes, I understand it can cause health problems.

Lavi Fletcher

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jun 2, 2015
Sydney
Who the F*ck pays $20 for a lotto ticket? Egads, what a waste.

$20 can feed a family of four for a day!

Come to Australia where people spend 3 figures+ weekly on lotto and then complain how it's not fair that they don't win.

BlakeIC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 9, 2014
Not Washington
Really. So someone goes and buys a lottery ticket, they know their chances to win are slim to none... But that makes the person ignorant.. but you are wise?

lol

You are judging him. By calling him ignorant, you are judging him. Because it's subjective what people do with their money for fun.

YOU think buying a lotto ticket is ignorant. HE thinks buying a lotto ticket is fun/waste of time.

Are you not judging him?

Here is ignorance:

Here is NOT ignorance:
I enjoy having a cigarette every now and then because it makes me feel good. Yes, I understand it can cause health problems.
finally someone who sees this as what it truly is, while putting it in better words than I would have

CMA

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Mar 3, 2014
I don't really play the lotto, but I bet the 3 power ball winners of the billion dollars don't give a crap what anyone does.

Kelly C

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 20, 2014
UK

lol

Are you not judging him?

Here is ignorance:

Here is NOT ignorance:

Just like people who get drunk every weekend and spend a LOT of money on it. I don't really understand it but its their choice what they do with their time and money. I think if I had a choice to spend my money on alcohol or lottery tickets I'd go for the lottery tickets lol.

Also I can understand the mentality of buying a lottery ticket and the hopelessness of one's situation. Some people who buy lottery tickets probably aren't just doing it for fun - they probably feel quite down trodden and like their situation is hopeless. If you feel hopeless and useless, then you may see that tiny tiny chance of winning the lottery as your only get out. That's a horrible state of mind to be in.

Not everyone has great self esteem either and believe in themselves enough to actually make their situation better. Most people have a lot of shitty baggage. I have fortunately being able to work through mine - but my self esteem held me back from being my own boss - it slowed my down because I'd end up feeling like I wasn't good enough to do it...despite the fact I was doing it. Thankfully my head doesn't mess with me in this way anymore!

Michael W.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Mar 2, 2009
Ok City, OK
finally someone who sees this as what it truly is, while putting it in better words than I would have

No doubt.

Crying over 20 bucks. Christ you guys, if you can't afford 20 bucks without shedding a tear gtfo off this forum and do something. You don't deserve Internet, you don't deserve your mobile phone. This is not a self help forum, either create or buy a business or income or gtfo.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Oh yeah, I forgot I'm not poor that I eat the same exact thing every day, so there's that. I guess variety is my spice.

Thought this was an entrepreneur forum. Not a coupon clipping forum.

You are taking my post so seriously lmao

Lavi Fletcher

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jun 2, 2015
Sydney
Oh yeah, I forgot I'm not poor that I eat the same exact thing every day, so there's that. I guess variety is my spice.

Thought this was an entrepreneur forum. Not a coupon clipping forum.

I don't understand your arrogance.

He said $20 can feed a family for a day.

You said he must live in a third world country because you spent $50 on lunch at Hooters.

I said no, you can feed a family for a day on $20.

No one said anything about eating the same thing every day.

First cut down on how much you eat to reduce your massive gut and perhaps that will reduce the amount of fat clogging your arteries and will increase the amount of blood your brain gets so it can perform higher thought :))))))))))

Check urself

Michael W.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Mar 2, 2009
Ok City, OK
I don't understand your arrogance.

He said $20 can feed a family for a day.

You said he must live in a third world country because you spent $50 on lunch at Hooters.

I said no, you can feed a family for a day on $20.

No one said anything about eating the same thing every day.

First cut down on how much you eat to reduce your massive gut and perhaps that will reduce the amount of fat clogging your arteries and will increase the amount of blood your brain gets so it can perform higher thought :))))))))))

Check urself

Lol. Alright bad boy.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
What's worse is how some posters on here have massive amounts of time to bicker and fight and f5 on this thread all week instead of taking some massive action.

I pretty much log into this forum on Saturdays mornings, but a lot of you all are on here several times a day fighting about if someone is a loser because they bought a lottery ticket or not, or if you can eat on $20 a day or not???? Really?

This seems more like sidewalk talking than fastlane stuff.

BTW, I can eat at Hooters and it can cost me $50 too... but only if I drink alcohol, have an appetizer and overtip. I've done it before, but I also can feed my whole family on less than $20 a day too cooking up some chicken or BBQ at the house and it doesn't have to be the same thing every day for it to happen.

SenGracic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 12, 2015
Canada
Ignorance = lack of knowledge or information
Hope = a feeling of expectation and desire for a certain thing to happen
Stupidity = behavior that shows a lack of good sense or judgment
System = a set of principles or procedures according to which something is done; an organized scheme or method.

** If you just play for fun or it doesn't impact your life at all this does not apply to you

This applies to addicted players(spend a lot of money in it and play frequently) :

If you know the odds when you play the lottery it's not ignorance it's stupidity.
If you still play it's because you hope you're going to win since most of the addicted players have low income, not much savings and are struggling in life.
They see the lottery as the only way to a better life.

Some of them believe in a system (numbers they choose, analyze past results etc..) that they will win over the years too and that's a blink of ignorance since if it was that "easy" to beat I'm sure some good mathematicians would be billionaires by now.

I'm facing the addicted lottery player issues with my dad for years now and I came to realize that those four words resume lottery pretty good.

My father is playing for over 30 years he believes in a system even though he knows the odds of winning but still plays multiple times a week.
I love him so I already told him he's a combination of stupid and ignorant when it comes to the lottery but you can't reason with him since his only answer is : You will see when I win, who's going to be stupid then (hope)

Michael W.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Mar 2, 2009
Ok City, OK
What's worse is how some posters on here have massive amounts of time to bicker and fight and f5 on this thread all week instead of taking some massive action.

I pretty much log into this forum on Saturdays mornings, but a lot of you all are on here several times a day fighting about if someone is a loser because they bought a lottery ticket or not, or if you can eat on $20 a day or not???? Really?

This seems more like sidewalk talking than fastlane stuff.

BTW, I can eat at Hooters and it can cost me $50 too... but only if I drink alcohol, have an appetizer and overtip. I've done it before, but I also can feed my whole family on less than $20 a day too cooking up some chicken or BBQ at the house and it doesn't have to be the same thing every day for it to happen.

My exaggerated point was if your crying about 20 bucks you shouldn't be on here, you should be doing something, much like your point. Get a job, make a business but get off this damn forum because you are wasting time.

And I'm rarely on here and I don't bicker.

I do want to say that the name calling that this forum allows is beyond reproach. Another reason why I rarely come here any more.

I used to love this forum, I was on here everyday hitting f5, the ideas, the different point of views, hell just the experience some of these guys have was awesome, even attended a event that involved some of these members. But it seems it has divulged into where if you disagree with me your a big piece of shit a**hole that is a useless fat F*ck a**hole.

Whatever, I paid some dues and am moving on to my next venture while some guys who sit here all day long dreaming of starting something but do not have the balls to make it happen.

Damn, I guess I am just a old poor useless fat F*ck.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.