The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Diary of my first successful business

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Roland

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Aug 24, 2013
UK
Yes this is the whole point of using this sort of websites but after a while, I came to realize that actually most of the people who comes via these websites are in fact their customers in a way. What does it mean? It means that these people are only after the latest deal. They are not interested in going back anywhere but are just after having a good deal no matter where it is. This is obviously not true with all of them but the biggest part of it is like that.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ap0110

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Sep 10, 2015
Yes this is the whole point of using this sort of websites but after a while, I came to realize that actually most of the people who comes via these websites are in fact their customers in a way. What does it mean? It means that these people are only after the latest deal. They are not interested in going back anywhere but are just after having a good deal no matter where it is. This is obviously not true with all of them but the biggest part of it is like that.

I agree...

Roland

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Aug 24, 2013
UK
Not yet the end of the month so I am a little early for my monthly update but I have passed an important milestone and I wanted to share this achievement here with all the people who helped me with advice, motivation, good wishes etc...

When I started this project, a lot of people told me that it wasn't a good idea, that it wasn't going to be profitable, that I was starting to small to be able to be sustainable and more of the same...
I started anyway and made £50 the first month, I thought they might be right but kept pushing, the second month I doubled the turn over. Not enough to live on but still nice to see. The third month I more than doubled the turnover again and same on month 4 and 5, it was now enough to open a physical location.
I invested all my savings in the refurbishment of the shop while everyone was telling me that it was too risky to invest all my savings there, that again it was too small to be sustainable and so on. And when I opened, I fixed myself the objective of making £1000 profit in a month within the first 6 months.

Well, today after only 2.5 months, this milestone has been passed and doubled. I am still debt free and I am now making more money from my business than from my job. I am very happy to see that I was right and that my idea had the potential I thought it had. Now, that same people who used to tell me that my project was going to fail are coming to see me telling me that they have a great idea and that I should work with them. I even had one who said that it could help me get rid of my current project :)

So I am celebrating today but from tomorrow on, I now have a new goal. I will now consolidate what I have built so far and then the idea is to build up a solid team and a strategy to raise money to scale my business. I will keep sharing here my achievements and my mistakes.

Thank you all for giving me the motivation, the help and the good wishes. This forum is a powerful source of knowledge if used appropriately. Thanks @MJ DeMarco. I had read several business and self development books before but the Millionaire Fastlane is the one who got me to think that it was actually possible and the people on this forum is who put me in the right frame of mind. Part of my next goal is to be able to go to your yearly event in the US and share with you all what I have been able to achieve thanks to everything that is written here.

Last edited:

Roland

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Aug 24, 2013
UK
New end of the month update.

Just to get the numbers out of the way:
- Revenues: increased by more than 30% this month
- Profit: just above 50% of the revenues

What enabled me to achieve that?

Well, first, this is only our 3rd month in activity at this place so people's awareness that we are here is still building, hence the revenues increasing.

Also, I hired an additional employee this month and although the turnover she has done has not fully covered her salary yet, the fact that I now have two people in the shop is definitely more attractive to the customers. It no longer looks like a "hobby shop" but definitely more professional.

And third very important point, the service we offer our customers is absolutely world class. I put a lot of pressure on my employees not to ever let go a customer if they are not 100% happy. This converts into 5 stars reviews everywhere and feedbacks along the line of this: "Incredible! I have had waxing for years but never felt so at ease! It sure is a tranquil and relaxing experience. The beauty spa is done to such a high standard and from the moment you enter, you know you are going to be looked after! Quite frankly I cannot wait to go back and have another wax (I don't think I have said that before) and a few other treatments!!!!!"

Downlight of the month

I had to fire the guy who was managing my social media profiles.
While the system he was using was clever, it didn't give the results I was expecting and the sales method of this guy was too pushy for my taste while he wouldn't try to adapt to my needs.

What's the plan going forward?

Now that we are starting to be known and the word of mouth is starting to work, the only thing that still concerns me a bit is what the seasonality is going to be. I know that this is a very important aspect of this business but it is really dependent on a lot of parameters, one of which is the location so for the moment I can only save some of the profit and see what's coming.

And as the two people I have are pretty much fully booked all the time now, I need to increase the profit I make on the services we deliver.
As I said in one of my previous posts, one of my source of customers is an internet platform which, while they enabled us to get fully booked almost from the start, are paying very little so I want to progressively replace these leads by customers of my own.

This will be done in three ways.
The first one is that we are starting to get interviews from local bloggers. I wanted to get interviewed by local newspapers but they are not answering any of my requests so I went to bloggers who are more than happy to get a topic like a new business opening to cover. Then I will go back to the newspapers when I have more proof of the interest people are paying us.

The second marketing angle I am starting this month is exhibiting our services in local "business exhibitions". The first one is planned for Saturday so I cannot tell what the output will be yet but I will let you know later on this month.

And the third angle is a new marketing strategy that I will be launching next week if everything goes to plan. I don't want to talk too much about it yet but let's just say that it has a good potential if done correctly and not a lot of people are doing it at the moment. the downside of it is that I might have to put a significant amount of money in it before I actually start seeing some results.

On a personal level:

I am quite happy to see that we are progressing in the good direction.

As I said in one of my previous post, I feel a bit like walking in the fog. I know where I want to go although I don't see my destination yet. I know I walk in the right direction and I discover new roads to get there popping out of the fog as I walk towards my goals.

My main struggle at the moment is to deal with the tiredness. It is not so much a physical tiredness that I feel but rather a "mental" one if that makes sense. My day job is draining a big deal of my energy and I cannot wait to be able to quit it but for the moment because of the seasonality risk I was talking about at the beginning of this post, I cannot quit it just yet. I just hope I will confirm the progress we have made so far in the coming months and then I will quit but although there is nothing I would like more at the moment than tell them that I no longer need them, for the time being, it still serves me so I have to put up with the tiredness.

And on a mindset level, I can definitely see changes happening. My self confidence has never been so high before. I am doing things I would never have though I was capable of before and the best thing of all is to see that my customers are confirming that I am going in the right direction.

One last thought:

A few days ago, I posted a new thread on this forum explaining why the most difficult thing to do is to start. It is this first step that is the harder to make but when you make it, then all the other steps start coming out of the fog and you just have to take then one at a time.

I even offered my help to people who wanted to start and do you know how many people contacted me? none.

Does that mean that everybody is already on their way? I don't think so but the fear to fail is so high that people are paralyzed even before they get started.
And although there is no denying that there is some risk in taking on an entrepreneurship project, what people fail to realize is that they are wasting valuable time and seriously jeopardizing the achievement of their end goal.

It took me three years to really get an understanding of what sort of project could take me where I want to be but most importantly out of this three years, it took me almost two years to really get started and stop doing things that were not really taking me anywhere (action faking I think that is called in the Millionaire Fastlane book). But then when I really got started, everything started to unfold by itself and I started making money almost from the start.

So all this to say what? Well, the point I am trying to make here is this>
Do yourself a favour and start doing something TODAY. Even if it is a small thing, even a tiny step is already one step closer to your goals, but unless you get started, unless you stop reading and start acting, unless you get your butt out of your chair and start the fight, you will never achieve anything and in ten years time or maybe even less, you will be complaining that you didn't have luck.

So stop mental masturbating today and start doing right away. I couldn't stress that enough, you will be amazed by how cool this feeling of achievement is and by the amount of result you will be able to get fro actually doing something.

If you want to have a look at the post I am talking about, you can find it here:

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...on-this-forum-wont-make-you-successful.62859/

Last edited by a moderator:

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
I think as its a small local business you are currently doing the hard work but easy part of it all.

The hard bit will be scaling with a second location or moving to a bigger location. Good luck and I think you can do it!

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Didn't spot you'd moved from lead gen for salons to running a salon. I know a guy who did the same thing. PM me if you want me to connect you both.

I've done a lot of local lead gen in the beauty niche so pick my brains via PM or a Skype call if you want.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I feel a bit like walking in the fog. I know where I want to go although I don't see my destination yet. I know I walk in the right direction and I discover new roads to get there popping out of the fog as I walk towards my goals.
Great description. The path reveals itself when you take steps along it, not when you "research".

Roland

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Aug 24, 2013
UK
Yesterday was mid of the month and if the second half of October is as good as the first one, we should once again have the best month in the (short) history of our company.

Profit is oscillating between 35 and 50% every week and growing slowly but steadily.

We are also starting to get noticed. As I mentioned in one of my previous posts, I initially invited several local newspapers to come for a free service and offered them the opportunity of interviewing us and none of them responded so I went down one level and contacted a few bloggers for the same thing and most of them were more than happy to use us as a subject for their next post. So we already have done this sort of interview with a couple of them (I picked the ones with the biggest audience) and this morning came the first review. Absolutely amazing, saying only great things about us. I am now looking forward to seeing the other ones and then I will go back to the newspapers with more credibility. Or at least that's the plan.

In terms of bookings, we are dealing with around 80 customers every week which is the limit of what we can do with two therapists so I have started to launch new marketing campaigns and as soon as the bookings start coming in, I will hire a third therapist.

The plan now is - if things continue to go in this direction - to open our second salon at the beginning of next year. I still have time for that but I need to plan it in advance. I am taking some risks here because the company is still very young but:

1- I am convinced that we are on something great
2- as I am 100% debt free and no longer investing my own money, I am only re-injecting the profit in the business so it is developing itself which is a very comfortable situation to be in.

On social media side, perfect reviews are still coming in and although on one hand I think that's great, I am also wondering if it doesn't look fake from the outside but well, I guess bad reviews always come soon enough so I will deal with that when the time comes.

There is one last point I would like to make before I finish this update. Just over a year ago, @JackEdwards offered a 1 hour phone call with him with all the people who wanted to and obviously I was one of them. This phone call was very useful for me as it surely was for all the other people and when I asked him how I could thank him for it, he told me that when I start making money thanks to his advice, I can send him a bottle of good Whiskey.
I think that time has come for me now to thank him but I don't know how to contact him and he seems not to have come to the forum for quite a long time so if someone knows him and could put me in contact with him again, I need his address to send this bottle over to him. Maybe @MJ DeMarco or one of the moderators can help here, I would really like to thank to person who took time to understand what I needed and to show me the right direction.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
Franchising. ?
Hard to franchise without proving the concept, he will need a min of 3 places open and showing healthy profits before offering a franchise.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Yesterday was mid of the month and if the second half of October is as good as the first one, we should once again have the best month in the (short) history of our company.

Profit is oscillating between 35 and 50% every week and growing slowly but steadily.

We are also starting to get noticed. As I mentioned in one of my previous posts, I initially invited several local newspapers to come for a free service and offered them the opportunity of interviewing us and none of them responded so I went down one level and contacted a few bloggers for the same thing and most of them were more than happy to use us as a subject for their next post. So we already have done this sort of interview with a couple of them (I picked the ones with the biggest audience) and this morning came the first review. Absolutely amazing, saying only great things about us. I am now looking forward to seeing the other ones and then I will go back to the newspapers with more credibility. Or at least that's the plan.

In terms of bookings, we are dealing with around 80 customers every week which is the limit of what we can do with two therapists so I have started to launch new marketing campaigns and as soon as the bookings start coming in, I will hire a third therapist.

The plan now is - if things continue to go in this direction - to open our second salon at the beginning of next year. I still have time for that but I need to plan it in advance. I am taking some risks here because the company is still very young but:

1- I am convinced that we are on something great
2- as I am 100% debt free and no longer investing my own money, I am only re-injecting the profit in the business so it is developing itself which is a very comfortable situation to be in.

On social media side, perfect reviews are still coming in and although on one hand I think that's great, I am also wondering if it doesn't look fake from the outside but well, I guess bad reviews always come soon enough so I will deal with that when the time comes.

There is one last point I would like to make before I finish this update. Just over a year ago, @JackEdwards offered a 1 hour phone call with him with all the people who wanted to and obviously I was one of them. This phone call was very useful for me as it surely was for all the other people and when I asked him how I could thank him for it, he told me that when I start making money thanks to his advice, I can send him a bottle of good Whiskey.
I think that time has come for me now to thank him but I don't know how to contact him and he seems not to have come to the forum for quite a long time so if someone knows him and could put me in contact with him again, I need his address to send this bottle over to him. Maybe @MJ DeMarco or one of the moderators can help here, I would really like to thank to person who took time to understand what I needed and to show me the right direction.

JackEdwards was last seen:
Nov 21, 2014

And we can't release anyone's personal information or contact information to anyone else. I am sure you can understand, as we would extend you the same curtesy. If Jack wanted to be contacted by forum members, he'd still be here. He left shortly after he raised funds for the Cancer kid through these phone calls.

Roland

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Aug 24, 2013
UK
JackEdwards was last seen:
Nov 21, 2014

And we can't release anyone's personal information or contact information to anyone else. I am sure you can understand, as we would extend you the same curtesy. If Jack wanted to be contacted by forum members, he'd still be here. He left shortly after he raised funds for the Cancer kid through these phone calls.
Of course I fully understand that you can't give me his address but I was rather thinking if someone is still in contact with him and wants to let him know that I didn't forget what he did to help me and that I'd like to thank him for what he did, then he can contact me. :)

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Hard to franchise without proving the concept, he will need a min of 3 places open and showing healthy profits before offering a franchise.
I understand this. I mean...who wants to franchise something no one knows ? And right...the profits. But...

I'm far from expert on franchising ... but my brain is thinking... and this is off the cuff...what if @Roland has a friend or acquaintance or employee who wanted to do this business ? Why not negotiate a franchise deal ? I know typically franchises charge a yearly fee, or percentage of sale/profits, but this can be structured any way he wants. Maybe no fees for a time or low to start and they rise as business grows. I also know franchises want to duplicate exactly what they do and how they do it... it's all in contract.

Again, off the cuff and I may be totally wrong...I just don't like hearing "You can't do that because...".

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
Again, off the cuff and I may be totally wrong...I just don't like hearing "You can't do that because...".

Well think about it this way... (Im no expert either by the way)

Your Idea: Friend who wants to franchise

A franchise typically does it all for you, so if you wanted to open a Subway franchise they would build it for you, brand it, print menus, give you a training manual and train all your staff. Basically thats what a franchise does as it takes all the risk out of a new business and gives it a trusted business model and brand.

So Rolands friend wont have any of that, and wont pay Roland 10% of his turnover and the 20-50k franshise setup fee.

Thats why its important for Roland to open his own stores, then build the operating manuals, training guides and branding and designs. Creating a franchise is super expensive because you need consultants to help set up all these essential things and a design company and shopfitting company that will undertake any new work for new franchisees.

Roland

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Aug 24, 2013
UK
Franchising with no open places is definitely possible and the INSIDERS call with GetThreaded a year or so ago is a proof of it but for the moment I need to save some money in order to be able to afford going this way and the only way I can raise this sort of money is by operating my own place.

So in other words, I need to go step by step. I know I am not scaling as quick as an online business would be doing but if I look back on what happened during the past 12 months, I started from nothing with no money at all, I found the first customers for my wife to go working mobile, taking appointments nights and weekend so that I could drive her there and wait for her in the only car we had, then a few months later, we were able to buy her a car, then I made her quit her job, then we found a place and refurbished it, and so far, in three months we have exceeded the results I was planning to achieve.

I don't want to say that I know what I am doing here because there is always a risk but give me a few months and I will show you what's the best for my business ;)

Roland

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Aug 24, 2013
UK
Another month has passed and once again we have increased the turnover and the profit.

Bad news is that we won't be able to increase it very much more now because the two girls are fully booked. And when I say fully booked I mean they just have about 30 min for a quick lunchbreak everyday.

I have launched several new marketing campaigns which should get us more customers through the door and enable me to hire a third person.

I am also starting to think about opening a second location. I have a meeting with the accountant this week to start planning all that but I already know how I want to do it. This will probably be some time in February next year if everything goes well.

That's all for the moment. The main concern for me is the seasonality of the business as always so until I really see how it goes around one complete year I won't be able to estimate realistically what is going to happen. And that is also the reason why I want to wait after January to open the second location because Jan is supposed to be the "dead period" in this industry. Although for the moment I don't see it with constantly between 80-90 customers every week.

Roland

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Aug 24, 2013
UK
New update:

Today was the meeting with my accountant.
The main goal of this meeting was to go through my bookkeepping and make sure everything was OK but most of all, as I am new to the taxes and rates and all the rest of it in this country, I wanted to make sure that I wasn't going to have a surprise later on during the year. And by surprise I mean a tax that I hadn't anticipated or something of that type.

It turned out that everything looks pretty good so far and as my cashflow is increasing steadily every month, they even suggested that I consider re-investing some of the profit before the year end so that I can virtually reduce it and pay less taxes.

So the good news is: the second salon opening is definitely going to be planned for early next year. If everything keeps going the way it does at the moment, I should be able to take another location by end of February.

That's for the medium term plan and for the short term one, I have started to look for a third person to join the team so that this first salon can run on its own with me only keeping an eye on it instead of spending all my free time on it everyday. This should enable me to dedicate more time to the development of the business.

If I manage to have this first team in place and functionning successfully, then I will have a successful recipe and just have to replicate it again and again. I should be able to tell you more about that at the end of this month.

Stay tuned... ;)

Roland

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Aug 24, 2013
UK
Again another month is over. I don't know if a lot of people are finding what I write here useful so I am wondering whether or not keeping updating this thread.

Anyway, waiting for your feedback this is what I have been up to in November.

The great news is that I have at least found a third person to join the team. It has proven to be much more complicated than for the previous one and I have had to reject quite a lot of applications. Then a lot of candidates got scared and run away when I told them about our opening times but eventually I found one who is motivated and willing to work with us and share our mindset so she should be starting very soon.

The main plan behind this is that I have booked a 3 week holiday in South America in January to go and visit my in-laws that we haven't seen for almost three years and I need the business to keep running while we are away. So training is the word right now.

Also we have been lucky enough to have as a customer a few weeks ago the PR director of the biggest Mall of my city. We didn't know that at the time but the day after her service, she emailed introducing herself formally and offering her the opportunity to promote ourselves in the Mall on Black Friday. So I got flyers designed and ordered the same night and last Friday we were there and got quite a nice social media coverage. Actually although we have had two marketing event last week, it has been our best week so far financially speaking.

Turnover and profit keep growing steadily and I am now seriously planning the opening of our second place at the end of Q1 next year.

I have also been approached by a few people telling me that being around me was quite inspiring which is a nice thing to hear and I am starting to think that if I manage to reach the objectives I have set for myself and my business, I might try and help people achieving the same thing. I am still not fully sure about this because the more people I talk to, the more I realize that most of the time (not to say all the time) the only thing that is preventing them from really achieving anything is because they don't want to change anything really. They would like to be able to do what I am doing but still having the lifestyle they are having which in my view is incompatible. So we will see if it is worth doing it at some stage or not.

That's all I think, please let me know if you find all this boring or what you would like me to share with you if you think of any particular topic I could help you with. I can't take criticism so be open. It is not worth spending my time writing all this down if it doesn't benefit anyone. :)

Have a good day and keep pushing, it works... eventually.

kelvinleang

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Dec 4, 2015
Hey @Roland, I just finished reading this whole thread today and I had to say that your motivation for your project is truly inspiring. Thank you for your thread!

Right now I am still in the same stage as you were last year, planning on my own startup. I plan on making some sort a "lead generating" website with little to no knowledge on web design. (Though i am currently self learning from a good book)

Do you have any advice on what steps i should initially take? Do you think its advisable for me to create at least a prototype myself or have someone do it for me instead? Because i think learning to design a good website would take alot of time from me... pardon the off topic comment. I only thought of asking this because you started your business in a similar nature.

Ps: pardon my english.

Sent from my SM-G9287C using Tapatalk

Roland

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Aug 24, 2013
UK
Hey @Roland, I just finished reading this whole thread today and I had to say that your motivation for your project is truly inspiring. Thank you for your thread!

Right now I am still in the same stage as you were last year, planning on my own startup. I plan on making some sort a "lead generating" website with little to no knowledge on web design. (Though i am currently self learning from a good book)

Do you have any advice on what steps i should initially take? Do you think its advisable for me to create at least a prototype myself or have someone do it for me instead? Because i think learning to design a good website would take alot of time from me... pardon the off topic comment. I only thought of asking this because you started your business in a similar nature.

I don't have time to answer this in details right now as I am in between two flights but will do tonight or tomorrow.

Roland

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Aug 24, 2013
UK

So, first of all welcome to this forum as this is your first post.
Maybe an introduction in the right part of the forum could be good as well if you plan to spend some time here. ;)

As this is your first post and you have only been here for a few days, I would suggest that you read more of the content in this forum as most of the answers to the questions you can ask are already in there. It is just a matter of using the content of this forum as a help when you are blocked and not only as a motivation source because if you don't do anything with this motivation then it is useless.

This being said, regarding your specific case, I don't have enough details to be able to tell for sure but I take it you don't have any customer just yet. This is where I would start. For me it is useless to spend money creating a website, or your time creating the website which at the end is the same or even spending time learning how to design a website. If you want to make this project work, then you will need to have some customers and until you have confirmed that there is a need for your project then it is worth nothing.

My advice (and this is only my advice but it works) would be that as this seems to be your first project, don't invest any of your own money in it. Make money first and then reinvest it in your project and make it grow. It will then make more money that you will be able to re-invest again in the business. That's how I went from zero to about two grand a month in the first six months and then from two grand to 7 in the following six months.

So what I would do to start if I were you? Find your first customer. Find someone who need the information you are planning to sell and give it to him for free. Do that for the first 5 to 10 people. Then start charging a small fee for the following one. Note that you don't need any website to do that. Look for ads where people ask for the information you want to sell, contact them and offer it to them. If you give us more information about what field you want to sell leads for I might be able to give you more specific examples.

Then once you get some money from your leads offline you can start building a basic website, just a sort of contact page with reviews from your previous customers, this will increase your visibility and bring you more customers. These customers will bring you more money that you will be able to use to upgrade your website.

Reading your post I have the feeling that you imagine that if you create a good website, leads requests are going to flood in. That's not the case, you need to learn your market and there is no 50 ways to do that, you need to start small and grow it. Believe me when I say that see your business growing is probably more intoxicating than just having a big chunk of money coming in because at least you know where this money comes from.

I am happy to give you more guidance if you need but you will have to disclose more details about your project. You said that you were inspired by what I wrote, that's great (thank you for saying it), Now do something of this inspiration. If you don't use this energy, in a few days it will have disappeared. Use this inspiration to move forward, this will create some more small achievements that will in turn give you more energy to carry on doing things and making your project go forward.

Back to work now ;)

kelvinleang

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Dec 4, 2015
So, first of all welcome to this forum as this is your first post.
Maybe an introduction in the right part of the forum could be good as well if you plan to spend some time here. ;)

As this is your first post and you have only been here for a few days, I would suggest that you read more of the content in this forum as most of the answers to the questions you can ask are already in there. It is just a matter of using the content of this forum as a help when you are blocked and not only as a motivation source because if you don't do anything with this motivation then it is useless.

This being said, regarding your specific case, I don't have enough details to be able to tell for sure but I take it you don't have any customer just yet. This is where I would start. For me it is useless to spend money creating a website, or your time creating the website which at the end is the same or even spending time learning how to design a website. If you want to make this project work, then you will need to have some customers and until you have confirmed that there is a need for your project then it is worth nothing.

My advice (and this is only my advice but it works) would be that as this seems to be your first project, don't invest any of your own money in it. Make money first and then reinvest it in your project and make it grow. It will then make more money that you will be able to re-invest again in the business. That's how I went from zero to about two grand a month in the first six months and then from two grand to 7 in the following six months.

So what I would do to start if I were you? Find your first customer. Find someone who need the information you are planning to sell and give it to him for free. Do that for the first 5 to 10 people. Then start charging a small fee for the following one. Note that you don't need any website to do that. Look for ads where people ask for the information you want to sell, contact them and offer it to them. If you give us more information about what field you want to sell leads for I might be able to give you more specific examples.

Then once you get some money from your leads offline you can start building a basic website, just a sort of contact page with reviews from your previous customers, this will increase your visibility and bring you more customers. These customers will bring you more money that you will be able to use to upgrade your website.

Reading your post I have the feeling that you imagine that if you create a good website, leads requests are going to flood in. That's not the case, you need to learn your market and there is no 50 ways to do that, you need to start small and grow it. Believe me when I say that see your business growing is probably more intoxicating than just having a big chunk of money coming in because at least you know where this money comes from.

I am happy to give you more guidance if you need but you will have to disclose more details about your project. You said that you were inspired by what I wrote, that's great (thank you for saying it), Now do something of this inspiration. If you don't use this energy, in a few days it will have disappeared. Use this inspiration to move forward, this will create some more small achievements that will in turn give you more energy to carry on doing things and making your project go forward.

Back to work now ;)
Thanks for the welcome and time for replying!

Roland, I wouldn't want to change the flow of this thread which is your business' diary. So I'll just PM you about more details if you dont mind.

Thanks

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.