The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Preserving Wealth, My #1 Tip. Don't Get Married! (Or Maybe You Should?)

Roland

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Aug 24, 2013
UK
Interesting to read the different points of view.

I think most of the main arguments have been said already so I won't come back on that but let me tell you my story. Even if it doesn't make you change your mind on marriage, it will definitely entertain you for a while.

Once upon a time, ten years ago (almost to the day), I had just started an engineering university where classes were given in French, Spanish and English. A few months after having started the academic year, I decided that I needed to practice my Spanish and went to see one of my teachers to ask her if she knew people who would be happy to talk to me. Her response was basically: go online, there are a lot of chats and forums, you should be able to find what you want.

So I did just that. I found a Spanish chat and started to "talk" to a lot of people. Actuallly when I say talk here I mean trying to read what people were writing but it was going up so quickly in the small window that my poor Spanish skills were not enough to catch anything. So I prepared a single "catch phrase" that went something along the lines of: Hi, I am a French student and want to practice my Spanish, if you want to talk to me please PM me. And I just copied and pasted that again and again every 30 seconds or so. That's how I started talking with about 50 people.

Among those people was one girl. She was from Colombia, from a country I would not even have been able to locate on the map at that time. Nothing happened really, just a few chats where she was telling me that I was probably a liar pretending to be French when I was probably living in her city or country. Then after a few months, I figured out that it was almost like having a friend, discussing more or less every day about what was going on in our life and so on. My Spanish was improving with all these people I was talking to and I was starting to think that talking to people online was not such a bad idea as I initially thought I was.

Fast forward a few months, one night after my day at university, we were talking about how it is to live in Colombia (I had done some research in the meantime and discovered what the medias show of this country) and out of the blue she told me: if you really want to see how it is here, find your next intership close to my house and I will accomodate you. The idea sounded nice but SCARY. I was 20 and the only thing I knew about Colombia was what was broadcast by the media.

But then I decided to give it a try as I would still be able to reject the offer for an internship if I ever found one. So I emailed all the big-ish companies in the cities asking for a intership (I realized much later that such a thing didn't exist there) and none of them even answered. Then not knowing what else to do, I emailed all the universities of the city asking them if they had an internship service or a list of companies I could contact as it is usually done over here. None of them answered except one actually whose answer was more or less along the lines of: tell us what you can do, what you want to do, how much money you want and we will find you something.

Long story short, three months later, I had won all the bureaucracy battles and I got my visa for Colombia 5 days before my flight was due for take off.

I spent 6 months there the first time I went and this was the biggest eye opener of my entire life. In terms of relationships, in terms of ways of living, at pretty much all levels. Nothing at all was as I knew it... and I loved it for the very first second.

During those 6 months, I became obvious pretty quickly that my relationship with this girl was getting much deeper than the one between two friends and we decided to try and get her a visa so that she could come to France and see how it was and if she liked it as much as I liked Colombia. But how do you do that when you are a student with massive student loans and on her side a broke third country girl belonging to a broke family? (By the way one thing I discovered there is how it feels to wake up in the morning without having enough money to buy food for lunch, that teaches you a few lessons as well)

Again fast forward a few months, we tried getting money from everywhere we could, I launched a company there and made some, she worked in another company and made some, we got friends to help us etc... every way was a good way and finally just after I had to fly back to France for the last year of my studies, she applied for a visa and two weeks after it was denied. Lost the money of the application and all the documents and we didn't even know why. We assumed it was because for applying for a tourist visa you needed to have a certain amount of money blocked on a bank account (not specified how much) and we guessed that amount we had was not enough so we tried to get some more and re-applied a few months later, to have it denied again and loose again the money and documents.

Long story short once again, 18 months later and 5 visa requests denied (tourist, student, au-pair... we tried everything) there was no money left and no option.

In fact there was only one, namely: getting married. But for me it was a big no-no. I was only 23 and coming from an old catholic family, I had no idea how to manage this with my relatives. On her side, she was rather pushy on the fact that it was the last option and that we should go for it which I tended to explain by the fact that I was probably a good European catch for a south american girl (quite pretentious sorry) but then it became so much pressure that I just told her to back off. I asked her to give me one full month without even mentionning the topic and when this delay had passed, I would tell her what we would do.

Let's put it that way, I have had some difficult decisions to make in my life but to this day, this one is still the most challenging I have ever had to make. I litteraly spent three weeks hardly sleeping, trying for figure out what to do. It wasn't so much the question of whether or not I should get married but much more how I would handle the family topic.

At the end, I came up to the conclusion that I only had to options. Either I did it and it might not go well but at least I would have tried it or I didn't do it and I might have regretted it my whole life. So I decided to go for it.

Again in three months I had all the paperwork done (finished two days before taking off) and on the day, I took off alone to get married. I had only mentionned to my parents that I was going to get married and they didn't really accept it, to the day they still say that they discovered it when the city published the paperwork of the marriage project. Even my siblings didn't know about it. That was the only way I found to deal with the situation. I broke the news to my brothers and sisters three days before the wedding by email. They weren't really happy :)

Ok, so three years after first meeting her online, I got married and I spent the rest of the week queueing with my wife to get stamps on documents, translate those documents, go back to the 10 hour queue to get the translations stamped. I could even give you more funny detailed but that's already too long for one post :)

I flew back to France again, alone, dealt with my family who didn't really believed that I was married and one month later, she got her spouse visa and arrived. At this stage, she couldn't speak a word in French and my family didn't speak Spanish. The day I introduced them to each other was the most awkward moment of the whole story. Each party looking at the other in the eye without being able to say anything and me in the middle translating in both ways.

6 months later, she could speak French and started to train in book production (what she had studied in Colombia but her degrees weren't valid in France), she trained during one year and worked in parallel in a company producing books. And at the end of the year, her boss told her that she could have a job in the company but that she wasn't going to use any machine because "you are a woman". She laughed and quit on the spot.

Later that day when she got home, she started thinking about what to do. As we could live on my salary at that time and as in Colombia you work in what gives you money and not on what you want, I told her to chose something she really wanted to do. And she said she always wanted to be a beauty therapist. Don't ask me why, that is still something I don't fully get as I can't see how waxing people's hairs everyday is any kind of fun but anyway :) The only thing that was worrying me was that there is a lot of competition in this field so I told her ok but if you want to go in this industry you have to be the best.

So we looked for the best private school in France and we were lucky enough that the start of the training was only 5 months down the line so she took a job cleaning toilets and washing dishes at night in a restaurant and made enough money to pay for the training. This training was 2 hours away from home and she was commuting every day.

With the poor French she had at the time, she still managed to graduate from this training within the top 3 and then came the time to find a job.
Again, I told her to go for the best so we figured that the best Spas in our area was on the south west coast (so about 2 hours away from home again) and we took all the addresses and I drove her there one day, she dressed up and we decided to try the best of all first as there was no way she could be accepted there... well half an hour later, she came out and told me that the manager said: I like your balls so you have a job.

I know this seems to be a little bit off topic but stay with me, it will make sense at the end. ;)

A few months later, she had an opportunity to go to Paris for an beauty exhibition and again I told her, if she wanted to be in the best places in the country, she had to go to the Champs Elysees avenue in Paris and try to get a job. She did that and half a day later, she called me saying that she had a job in one of the best salon of the best location in Paris...

Again fast forward, I had an opportunity to move to the UK for an interesting job (I didn't know anything about business at that time as it was long before I even read TMF so I was just working a job like everyone told me I had to do), we talked about it and decided to move abroad. Once again, if my English was poor at that time, her was nil. Not a word and again she started from scratch, learning on her own, then six months later finding a job waiting tables to practice and eventually landed a job in the best salon of the city we are living in.

When she decided to go for being a beauty therapist, I promised her one day I would give her a salon of her own (remember I didn't know anything about fastlane at that time) but last year, I thought that it was time to do what I had said and give her her salon but now that I was a bit wiser in terms of business, I wanted to do something that could benefit me as well and create a scalable business. So I thought that we might be able to adapt some hypnosis techniques that used to be used for surgical operations before chemical anaesthetics were discovered and use them to reduce the pain of the painful beauty treatments like hair removal. So I trained as a clinical hypnotherapist and managed to get a few people to help me do what I wanted to do. In the meantime, I had launched a company to deliver mobile beauty services and we used some of those customers to test our technique. In a few months we were able to buy her a car, we doubled the turn over every month during the first 6 months, then we found a place, I spent all my nights and weekends refurbishing it and 5 weeks later, we were opening our first salon.

It took my wife three weeks to be fully booked 70 hours a week, then I hired another therapist to help her who she trained to her standards, three weeks later, they were both fully booked and we have now been opened for three months and I am looking for a third therapist and my accountant told me yesterday that I should start considering opening a second one to reduce the profit and pay less taxes.

So all this wall of words for what?

Marriage for me is not an event. It only is a step in a life long project and as any other project it has to be worked on every single day.

You have to choose wisely every single path you decide to go down whether it is who you decide to make your life partner, whether it is what industry you decide to go into. There is no difference, it is all down to how you make your decisions.

Do you think I would be where I am today without my wife? No, definitely not.
I would probably be richer in money yes but all the crap we had to go through to have the little things we have today have taught me much more than any money could ever pay for and my wife is my business motivation. I don't get up in the morning for me but because I chose to give her what she has never been able to have before and on the way, I am enjoying the trip. I took an idea and I am making it bigger and bigger every day and it works much more than any stupid business idea I had before when I was thinking of making me richer.

So please don't tell me that marriage is statistically bound to failure. It is not marriage which is bound to failure, it is the weakness of people personnality and the bad choices they make. Without marriage, I wouldn't be where I am today.

A life with a good life partner is like anything else, it is like the business project you are currently working on: you want it bad enough? They go get it... period!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

The Autobahn

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Mar 2, 2013
Switzerland
You sat on a plane with bolts coming off, a pilot that smelled of alcohol, and the engine was smoking before takeoff.

Then you got surprised when it crashed.

This is a bit offtopic and i admit that i made it too easy for causing this big mistake to happen. But like Einstein said:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

You just cant calculate everything, nobody on the plane knew the history of the copilot which had a depression and caused a suicide with 150 people on board.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-32604552

2- You chose to enter into a legal contract (marriage) that will give you massive financial penalties if your relationship doesn't work out. You chose to let the government and the legal system have power over how your relationship will end and how your finances will end up.

I think this is the Big mistake i did, but building a family with marriage was a tradition in our family. However I wont easily get married again, if ever... a very expensive lesson learned.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
This is a bit offtopic and i admit that i made it too easy for causing this big mistake to happen. But like Einstein said:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

You just cant calculate everything, nobody on the plane knew the history of the copilot which had a depression and caused a suicide with 150 people on board.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-32604552

I think this is the Big mistake i did, but building a family with marriage was a tradition in our family. I wont easily get married again... a very expensive insane lesson learned.

I lost a company to a hostile takeover. I got in bed with the wrong people.

Were they jerks? Yes. Theives? Yes.

At the end of the day, whose fault was it? Mine. I got in bed with the wrong people. I signed the document.

I can't blame the institution, because that is too easy. Nobody forced me. It happened because I chose wrong.

However, I am done with this point, as it seems to be echoing right through one of your ears and passing out the other.

Good luck to you. Choose better next time. I doubt you will, though, as you don't yet understand what happened this time.

Too bad this thread got bumped. There's a lot more vital shit to talk about with people who listen.

Sorry your marriage sucked.

Last edited:

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Yes you can sit in the wrong plane that you choosed.. but which will crash in few hours.
Probability ? almost none.. you think. So you will get in the plane.

On the serious note, if i have any relationship in the future i will do a "stress test".
And i will more rely on Logical answers then "you know it better darling".
Speaking from my own experience, I have to agree with Vigilante. It's easy to blame the other person. Fortunately, it is your choice in a partner. Ignorance: Not knowing why you choose the partner you do. This isn't to blame anyone in my family, but to show you how it works.

Family Tree Both Maternal and Paternal
You've picked up certain behavior patterns and thinking patterns. That is passed on from generation to generation. Both Negative and Positive
If you look back three or four generations you will see certain patterns
Poverty Vs. Rich mindset
Authoritarian Vs. Authoritative approaches to relationships and jobs, business, or entrepreneurship
Introverts or Extroverts
Alcohol/Addictive/Abusive Relationships Vs. the Authoritative, Permissive, Uninvolved Parenting styles, Disabilities, Mental Impairments or disorders
Co-dependency vs. Independent and Interdependent
Violent communication vs. Non-Violent (Handling emotions, feelings, and thoughts.) Physical abuse, emotional abuse, mental abuse, spiritual abuse

This is the first part of what influences you in your choices choosing a mate. Prior to this healthy relationship I am in now, I made repeatedly the same mistakes by finding myself in the same types of relationships over and over again, until I wanted a healthy relationship bad enough to break the cycle and break generational behavior and thinking patterns. I accomplished this first, before I ended up here, which makes this a piece of cake in Entrepreneurship. The work was already done.

The second part: Cultural, Society, Religion/Spiritual, Psychological, Philosophical beliefs all play in the part of what is expected in a relationship. Realistic expectations. What you feel is normal and acceptable versus what the world tells you. Many people go around with Black and White thinking, all bad, or all good.

The third part: Personality type. lol Hate to bring this up, but fortunately I see the problem with me in relationships with some people just based on this, and listen to the other type complain about us, and my type complain about them. So there are certain clues, to what type you feel more intimate and compatible with. I even asked my closed friends to take it, and found a pattern they have the same types. ESFP ENFJ INTJ For what ever reason that works out for me. Not for every one with my type. Just one tool.

The fourth part: Ego and trying to control other people and the outcome. What roles did you play in your family. The Hero, Scapegoat, Mascot, The Lost Child etc. This also demonstrates how you may view the world and relationships.

Fortunately, You're taking the easy route, and denying the impact of your own choice in the matter whether you were aware of it or not. And at the same time you can't blame your ancestors. Why? Prior to the last few generations the resources weren't available as easily as they are today. They're survival skills were quite different under different circumstances and available resources at the time where ever they came from. If they were lucky enough to have access, than it shows in the family line. We're all faced with the same human nature, feelings, emotions, and thoughts. We've never walked in their shoes. We don't know their personal story. They made choices either good or bad like the rest of us. This doesn't excuse bad behavior or thinking patterns, but you have a choice to make the same mistakes or do something different.

In my own family, I'm the only one breaking that pattern by choice.

The fifth part: Relationships and sex can both be addictions or ways to fill emotional needs and wants. What was the motivation and intentions of having this relationship in the first place? To make you whole and complete? Avoid having pain and suffering?

The sixth part: Are you emotional available and the other person? Usually lower conscious relationships are based on all the wrong reasons to have a relationships. Sex, fill an empty void, and fix and change other. Please save me from myself. Instead it ends up being lets harm each other because we're not being real and authentic. We're hiding behind a mask, avoiding one another, and pretending. Playing the part and acting the role. There is no intimacy and connection. There is no real genuine love.

You're only fooling yourself when you deny you played any part in the destruction of marriage, or the impact it has on your life.

DreamsCameTrue

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Jun 29, 2014
Hollywood Hills
I think this is the Big mistake i did, but building a family with marriage was a tradition in our family. However I wont easily get married again, if ever... a very expensive lesson learned.

Because it's such an unfair legal situation, I feel bad for you. The punishment did not fit the crime. I can't believe all these guys are telling you it's all your fault because you "did not choose correctly." It sounds to me like you gave someone a chance, followed your heart, and tried to stay with the traditions in your family. You made your choice to the best of your ability. The pro-marriage guys expect you to have a crystal ball or some massive psychological checklist and if you don't, then "you chose wrong." It's always the man's fault right guys?

Following your heart and taking a chance on love should not result with a huge financial penalty if it doesn't work out. The whole thing is morally wrong in my opinion. Guys are getting sold on the tradition and then cleaned out in court a few years later. How you guys can defend this practice is beyond me.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Because it's such an unfair legal situation, I feel bad for you. The punishment did not fit the crime. I can't believe all these guys are telling you it's all your fault because you "did not choose correctly." It sounds to me like you gave someone a chance, followed your heart, and tried to stay with the traditions in your family. You made your choice to the best of your ability. The pro-marriage guys expect you to have a crystal ball or some massive psychological checklist and if you don't, then "you chose wrong." It's always the man's fault right guys?

Following your heart and taking a chance on love should not result with a huge financial penalty if it doesn't work out. The whole thing is morally wrong in my opinion. Guys are getting sold on the tradition and then cleaned out in court a few years later. How you guys can defend this practice is beyond me.
Don't walk into a lion's den and complain you got bit

The Autobahn

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Mar 2, 2013
Switzerland
Well there are success stories of married people; like they built a global successful company together but ods of getting "wasted" is much higher.

Unless your name is Eddie Murphy.Who has 9 kids and married few times. o_O
images

Maxjohan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Mar 26, 2011
You made a bad choice. "Marriage" didn't ruin you. You ruined yourself by not being able to find a better mate.
Are you to blame if your partner cheats on you too?? You can't F*cking mind read people or read their souls. Is it the same when scammers, scam gullible people out of their life savings?? Should you blame those getting scammed. ?? Huh.

Generally, I am tired of American values on this board. Little to no empathy to people making mistakes. It's like somebody getting tossed to lions. And gets the blame.

Last edited:

Maxjohan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Mar 26, 2011
At the end of the day, whose fault was it? Mine. I got in bed with the wrong people. I signed the document.
If they took advantage of you. Why should they not take the blame? We should blame those doing us harm, like murdering or violence. Never should we take the blame ourself. When there are bad people doing us harm. They deserve to go to jail for X years, depending on what they do to us.

Last edited:

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
I'm considering proposing to my girlfriend of 2 years in another year. Definately marriage material :p she is the goods. But I've already had a chat to my solicitor about a pre nup style agreement. As long as you are reasonable in your agreement it should be ok. Feels weird though. But I think the concept of never getting married or having a relationship to protect your finances is even weirder.

I actually have been married for a few years before, and when we separated all it cost me was the $800 filing fee which I offered to pay as she went back to study in her home country (neither of us had much money back then anyway!). Even though it didn't work out I still chose right in a way.

Some people have said I was lucky but luck had nothing to do with it. If she did try to clean me out it would have been funny to see her explain it to her feminist group haha.

Last edited:

Maxjohan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Mar 26, 2011
Why did he get tossed to the lions?
It was more of a over-the-top example to describe American culture. In my mind, I had this image, that somebody was kidnapped by criminals and tossed to the lions for no reason. Maybe not very realistic. But it can happen.

Sunscreen

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jan 1, 2015
It was more of a over-the-top example to describe American culture. In my mind, I had this image, that somebody was kidnapped by criminals and tossed to the lions for no reason. Maybe not very realistic. But it could happen.
It happened to Russell Crowe one time

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
Do you guys in the states have strong de facto laws? We do in Australia. There is not a need to be married for someone to make a strong claim.

safff

Redlining
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 11, 2015
I think part of the problem is when people start to take a relationship as a business proposal and that's as someone who is absolutely terrified at the prospect of marriage and the related exposure, despite having no doubts about my partner.

Human emotions are NOT a predictable science. You can vet your spouse, hold off committing for years and make the right choice to go for the right partner. They may then make the choice that they will have one too many tequilas and sleep with the neighbour. They may get depression out of the blue and force a situation where you both have to deal with it or let it go. Things change and being in a relationship is always going to be an emotional and financial risk.

Truth be told, going into a relationship with a financial hat on is setting yourself up for a bumpy ride. Why are we quick to insist on going into business either declining the probability of failure, or enforcing that if it is an inevitability in some capacity, you will simply rebuild and keep going; whilst at the same time drawing parallels to relationships being cut of the same cloth; yet don't extend a relationship the same benefit of the doubt and oath to persistance. The same 'can do' attitude. Because they're not the same. You will never be completely in control of any relationship beyond doing your part to make it the best it can be; and choosing not to be in it (either altogether or in mind) - and I honestly believe that anyone who thinks they are totally in control is to a degree kidding themselves.

Relationships take a degree of trust that is not found in any business. A trust that means you place a part of your vulnerability in that person and vice versa. Yes, by all means tread with care before committing; but acknowledge that you won't truly know if it was the right choice until you've invested. To a degree, you will always have a part to play in how a relationship pans out, but EQUALLY, so will the other person. That means that we have to accept that you can do all things and things can go wrong. This is one of the ways in which a relationship of any kind is the unique element in life where your control is limited. What you can control is how you deal with it at any given time but again the concequences of these decisions can head off in predetermined directions. Marriage is a commitment to 'we will try' at the end of the day; and 'not getting married' as a methodology (read: not committing long term to someone, living together etc being it is as good as being married in some places) is akin to wasting your time with a partner with no intention of being together long term. Would anyone do a job / start a business with the intention of not growing it?

And to comment on the OP's stats on failed marriages, I read that 50% of first marriages fail. Great.

I also read that 66% of businesses fail within the first 10 years.

Yet I don't see a single person on this forum advocating that you shouldn't start a business because it would ruin you financially. A good relationship can build you as a person as much as a good business plan can. A bad one can set you back as much as a bad business can.

Last edited:

Maxjohan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Mar 26, 2011
I also read that 66% of businesses fail within the first 10 years.

Yet I don't see a single person on this forum advocating that you shouldn't start a business because it would ruin you financially. A good relationship can build you as a person as much as a good business plan can. A bad one can set you back as much as a bad business can.

Well said.

GIlman

Still Gilman
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
605%
Oct 16, 2014
I've been following this thread for a long time, just like many of you...I said I was done...but I have made a very curious observation I would like to share with you all.

First, a question for you! If you met a man (or women), who had come from simple means (like most), and had built a business from scratch...learned lots of lessons, many from failures...and was willing to share with you these experiences...would you want to know how they did it?

Or...would you challenge what they had done, and criticize what they did wrong? Would you mock the failures, as things they could or should have seen?...because it's so fair to look at a situation knowing the outcome and seeing the "error" in judgment.

Then why is it so different with this thread? Why do so many just tune out those who have experienced things in their lives, that many of you simply have not...have paid hundreds of thousands or millions...have seen the pitfalls and failures.

...Or, as in the case of @Esquire actually have knowledge about something to a level that pretty much none of us do, and experiences on a daily basis the impacts of what he knows...This is the very definition of what a Mentor IS!!!

There are many people here (myself included) that have been through an experience that many others here have not, these people are trying to mentor you, because we want to cast a light on to a part of life that many of you WILL experience (but just haven't yet), whether you like it or not...

...you can only choose if you stay with your partner, you can't choose if they stay with you.

As far as the assumption that you can choose your partner carefully, vet their family, look at their pedigree...seriously.

I come from a family of 8 children (#3 myself)...and we are all extremely varied...extremely. There are very hard workers making 1%er money and near homeless, we have artists, professionals, highly educated, college dropouts, my brother has one of the top salons in the nation (ranked Salon of the Year by a major industry publication), and then I have a few sisters that stay at home. Some are hugely religious and some agnostic...and this is all with in ONE family, not even going up or down generations or out the family tree.

And mental illness, you will find this in every family tree...depression, anxiety disorder, eating disorder, bipolar, schizophrenia, dependancies...etc. Go very far out in any family tree and you are bound to find this.

Sure there are some red flags and blaring sirens in YOUR relationships, does YOUR partner beat you, do they use drugs, do they have compulsive destructive behavior...But, there are tons of people that are none of these, sure they have their quirks, but I bet you do too...

...but put them in a divorce situation and you will see a side of them you did not know existed....clueless, I and lots of others here can attest to this if you choose to listen.

Because, and this is the only pearl I offer here (from my own experience - echoed by others)...if you EVER do divorce, the person you go through divorce with will be a person you have never met, they will be completely unrecognizable to you...

...this comes from countless men and women who have been down this road...

Anyone who has NOT been divorced, quite honestly, can NOT tell you how their current spouse would treat them, or if they could work together, because they have only lived a couple life not a legal feud life with them.

But, statistics being what they are, and human nature being what it is, and the difference of the sexes (they are very different), and inputs and support systems getting involved, and the advice being given...if you go through divorce your experience is NOT LIKELY to be different that what others have told you...sorry, it's just not going to be.

...quite honestly, anyone currently married can't even truthfully tell you if their marriage will ultimately be an asset or a liability, because that all depends on if the marriage survives to their death or not...try as they might, no one can REALLY know this...if it does it could well be an asset (but maybe not)...if it fails, then quite possibly the greatest liability of their life...

So, listen up, be aware, learn from our mistakes, and be smart about how you approach relationships....this is what mentorship is all about, not having to learn everything from your own experiences.

Don't put your trust (and ACT) because of emotions...your emotions are more often than not clouding your rational judgement. Take time to sit by yourself and seriously ponder your life and what you want.

If you choose marriage, whether or not you actually do get a prenup, you should 100% discuss getting one and the specific details of what you would want and expect, if you don't you really truly have no clue what the other person thinks...this has to be a real discussion not a "hey sweetie, just wondering if we ever got divorced would you try to F#$% me over"...be SPECIFIC...full disclosure type of stuff.

Discuss this at length...this will be a huge eye opener for ALL of you, you will see attitudes and opinions emanating from your partner (man or women) that ARE 100% completely foreign to you, things you have zero insight into...things that might actually terrify you.

If you are married, discuss with your partner a post-nup agreement...for the same reason, because you are going to see and hear things that will blow your mind!!

You DON'T know your partner nearly as well as you profess you do, and they will PROVE IT to you...you've just never given them the opportunity to show you yet, give them that opportunity now...

...you might just change your mind, not necessarily about being married (or getting married), but about how well you know this person you sleep next to at night, and what YOU want and expect from the relationship.

My parting thought on marriage...."Sigfried and Roy"

...what do I mean by this...

Marriage is like a white tiger, it can be freaking awesome (can you imagine having such an amazing creature), until the moment that it isn't and you get bit in the Jugular. But there is no way to know if the tiger will bite you in the jugular or not (no matter how many years you have been together)

But...In all fairness, a Tiger is a Tiger, what do you expect?

...But then again a scared person (man and woman) going through a unfamiliar scary legal system fraught with peril, is a scared caged animal too, so what do you expect?

-----------------------------------

IN FAIRNESS ::

Now, I know there are stories on this thread of people who had easy splits, but if you read between the lines, you will see that the reason there was no fight...there was nothing to fight for.

If you have nearly equal incomes, not a lot saved, and no children...it'll almost certainly be easy for you....100% of zero (low) net worth is still zero (or near zero).

And because of the sheer expense of fighting (attorneys are usually $200-500+ hr), if you fight for nothing you will end up HUGELY in the red...and quite truthfully will have a near impossible time even finding an attorney that will be willing to fight for you...no money, no attorney.

Since this is an entrepreneur board, it should be a fair assumption that we all have/had or plan to have a large asset cache or income someday...if you do, you will almost certainly not have an "easy" divorce story should you be so unlucky someday...

This is the assumption in this post and other posts on the peril's of divorce...that you are a high earner with grossly disproportionate incomes (yours much higher) to your partner (man or woman).

Fast lane divorces and sidewalk divorces are completely different beasts, don't be mislead into believing they are or will be the same...high asset divorces often last many years or even a decade with associated huge costs in both $$ and years and years of emotional distress dealing with the legal system.

GrayCode

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
399%
Nov 23, 2015
I am sorry if i am missing something.

For anyone scared of risking it on marriage... You can still have a life long relationship and not be married... no?
Why not do everything the exact same way, minus the legal papers?

Sure, Propose.
Sure, Set a date and have a huge ceremony and party. (Minus legal)
Have kids.
Long relationship.

We should all agree to disagree though.

I am willing to bet more than half of these divorces are caused by not be faithful anyway.

DreamsCameTrue

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Jun 29, 2014
Hollywood Hills
Don't walk into a lion's den and complain you got bit

I think you've really cut to the heart of the matter with this little quip.

It certainly IS a lion's den. If you are warned about that and want to do it anyway, I see no problem with that. If you have no wealth and don't plan on building any wealth, well then sure marriage is a great idea. Enter at your own risk.

The problem is that most people are NOT getting this warning. It's a lion's den, but we are all being told it's some kind of perfect picnic. Marriage, we are told is "a beautiful tradition" or "the most important thing in life." Some folks do it because "It's just what you do." No one gives you any warning about the legal risks, and that's why I posted this thread.

The legal system has changed in the last 30 years, and the public is not aware of it. Your "beautiful tradition" has been turned into a dangerous trap. It's not what it used to be, so everything your parents told you doesn't apply any more.

If you've spent the last 25 years believing one thing, and being misinformed, it's gonna be hard to adjust to the reality of the situation. That documentary I mentioned goes into all the details of how the laws have been changed.

To summarize, if you get married and your spouse wants to get a divorce (even if you don't want a divorce) all your assets can be taken by lawyers and judges. That's the long and short of it. So don't kid yourself. It's not some gateway to paradise. It's a massive risk and as Gilman said, you only have control of 50% of the deal.

I'm not a lawyer, so you don't have to believe me....but an actual lawyer posted in this thread in the early pages and confirmed what I am telling you. You've been warned.

Glad to see the thread has over 15,000 views now. People are getting the warning thanks to this forum.

Superwoman

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Aug 18, 2014
Colorado
I have been married for 15 years. We both have committed to our marriage, have a wonderful teenager, and are growing old together. It is not easy being in a partnership in life. Two different personalities, sometimes different wants, etc.

But anyone who just wants to build a business for money alone, and is afraid to have a truly committed partner to build their life with is really missing out. Life is wonderful...but it can be very hard too. We are emotional beings, and a life without love, to me, is simply not worth it. The money (for me), is to live the life I want WITH my partner. It is also to provide for my child, any anyone else I want. Marriage is what states each persons commitment to the relationship.

Prosperity is more than financial success. It's also success in your relationships, being lucky enough and taking care of your health, and finding a way to help others. (Like giving free advice on this forum[emoji6])

These are my opinions, and I won't argue with others about it. I just wanted to add my $.02 for those younger folks thinking ahead about their lives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RealVentures

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Dec 4, 2015
I am sorry if i am missing something.

For anyone scared of risking it on marriage... You can still have a life long relationship and not be married... no?
Why not do everything the exact same way, minus the legal papers?

Sure, Propose.
Sure, Set a date and have a huge ceremony and party. (Minus legal)
Have kids.
Long relationship.

We should all agree to disagree though.

I am willing to bet more than half of these divorces are caused by not be faithful anyway.

I'd agree with this. It's also not selfish to specifically look for a partner in an equivalent financial situation to yourself. My current ladies net worth is only about 10% lower than mine. I'm self made and she has a trust fund + invests aggressively. If she wasn't so close I'd probably worry more about the finances of marriage.

DreamsCameTrue

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Jun 29, 2014
Hollywood Hills
RealVentures I would worry that with the wealthy woman you two become more of a target for the Divorce Industry.

I didn't start this thread to talk about women wiping out men financially, I started it to talk about the Divorce Industry, collusion, and the danger marriage poses to your assets, be they big or small, yours or your partners.

RunWithIt

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Jan 23, 2016
Canada
Quick credibility explanation. The reason you should listen to me is because I have been coaching men for the last 10 years on women and relationships. Many men over 40 have been severely damaged by a financial catastrophe that can be EASILY avoided. This goes for women also, I'm not posting this for the men only.

The easiest way to get rich and avoid financial ruin is.....

1- follow what's in the fastlane
2- pay all your taxes
3- do not get married, and do not get divorced

As far as #3, the signs are everywhere. Marriage and divorce ruin your finances. But most people refuse to see the evidence that is right in front of their face, because they are blinded by love and tradition, wanting to do the same things their parents did.

News flash! The laws have completely changed since your parents got married. You will be wiped out for sure if you have money and you get a divorce.

I urge you to watch this documentary on the divorce industry-

To put it in a nutshell:
The laws have changed. Divorce is an industry now. There is massive collusion between judges and lawyers, and they will take all your cash and liquidate your assets during a divorce proceedings. There's no rules in Family Court. Judges don't have to go by laws or precedents. They can do anything they want. There is no oversight and no challenging them.

On day 1, you sign up for a divorce attorney and they will often put a lien on your house and other assets just in case you can't pay. The judge can then order your house to be sold to pay legal fees.

After day 1, the judges and lawyers team up to drag out the case as long as possible.

In summary, it's not that you need to worry about your spouse taking your money, it's the lawyers that will take it.

I know a girl whose parents spent $600K on a divorce, and it's not over yet!

BUT WAIT, I CAN GET MARRIED BECAUSE I WON'T BE GETTING DIVORCED!
Nope sorry, the stats just don't support this. More than half of marriages end up in divorce and there's nothing special about you or your spouse that will change this. As you grow your fortune, you also incentivize your spouse to divorce you. Do you really want to have a 50% chance of getting financially wiped out? People change, goals change, relationships end. You can't fight this, it's human nature.

Marriage is a dirty business.
Divorce is even more dirty!

Again, please watch that entire documentary, it's available on iTunes. Don't be blind to the biggest mistake of your life.

BTW I'm single so I have no ax to grind. I just feel I'm one of the few people paying attention to what's actually going on, so I wanted to share it with you here.

Edited by Vigilante as we don't permit frat boy slang in this forum.

I fully agree with you that marriage is a sham but heres my take on it.

Currently I am engaged to a beautiful young woman who is eager to satisfy me,

Do I have fear that she will change once the wedding is over - Theres a lingering fear for sure.
Do I Fear she would take half my assets - No

When I met my fiancé 3 years ago I was financially and emotionally lost in life, I am where I am today because of her influence to be a better man, We both don't believe in drawing things out and messy situations so I doubt in the event of a split it would be dirty.

There is a small uncertainty that we may not work out as we advance and get older in life but in this case I will gladly split my assets with her because without her I would still be drinking, smoking, looking for 1 night lays and be at the dead end job that I was at.

Take from this what you will but there are still some good woman out there,
P.S my woman is of Russian decent so much more feminine that the typical western woman,

My Advice,

- If she puts out on the first night - Not relationship material
- If she does not know how to cook - The same
- She must be feminine and want to be a mother - and you must provide the future that this woman deserves for the more you delay the more likely western tendencies will sink in.

Jamesdoesmith

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Aug 14, 2014
I fully agree with you that marriage is a sham but heres my take on it.

Currently I am engaged to a beautiful young woman who is eager to satisfy me,

Do I have fear that she will change once the wedding is over - Theres a lingering fear for sure.
Do I Fear she would take half my assets - No

When I met my fiancé 3 years ago I was financially and emotionally lost in life, I am where I am today because of her influence to be a better man, We both don't believe in drawing things out and messy situations so I doubt in the event of a split it would be dirty.

There is a small uncertainty that we may not work out as we advance and get older in life but in this case I will gladly split my assets with her because without her I would still be drinking, smoking, looking for 1 night lays and be at the dead end job that I was at.

Take from this what you will but there are still some good woman out there,
P.S my woman is of Russian decent so much more feminine that the typical western woman,

My Advice,

- If she puts out on the first night - Not relationship material
- If she does not know how to cook - The same
- She must be feminine and want to be a mother - and you must provide the future that this woman deserves for the more you delay the more likely western tendencies will sink in.

This is very important.

RunWithIt

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Jan 23, 2016
Canada
Hell of a tip! Spend your life lonely, rich and sad as f***. Why do you even live?!

PS. Didn't even read the post nor the replies. The title itself got me furious.

Typical troll/feminist

Your post shows how truly ignorant you are. You don't belong on this forum.

For the record I know many men who have decided against marriage, Some are successful happy motivated individuals, others are not, its what you make it.

Go back to your cave if you cant appreciate the knowledge and insight that is given here, Your ignorance is a reflection of your own misery!

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
Because, and this is the only pearl I offer here (from my own experience - echoed by others)...if you EVER do divorce, the person you go through divorce with will be a person you have never met, they will be completely unrecognizable to you....

I could not possibly agree more with this statement. (And the entire post from @GIlman for that matter).

I am about 3 years into a nasty divorce. 6 months after our separation one of my best friends warned me that this divorce will get crazier than I could ever imagine. I laughed it off.

I cannot post details on a public forum as I am in the middle of it (there's a huge hint for you), but I can say we are at about 6 figures in legal fees, my kids are completely disgusted, we have pending cases in 2 countries and my lawyers expect this to take at least 2-4 more years just to finalize the divorce. I expectthe custody battle to finish on my youngest's 18th birthday.

And we were married 18 years. Never saw this level of craziness. Ever.

Sent from my SM-G900FD using Tapatalk

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.