The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

$50,000,000 in $ales in 7 Years

Ask me anything!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
@Omega

Said it would be cool if I shared a private message he sent a few days ago:

Hey, What's up man.Just two quick questions that's directed towards energy brokerage.If you don't mind answering It would help me a lot.

1.From my understanding, you have to take tests in order to qualify to become an energy broker.Do you know If someone under the age of law will be able to take these tests?I've looked around a lot and can't come to a decisive answer.

2.After the tests are completed I assume you start looking for suppliers to supply the energy.Do you find these suppliers locally or across the US?If not where would one really start after taking the tests?

Again, I highly appreciate it if you could take some time to answer those two questions.From reading your posts around the forum, I think you're a really awesome dude.You're the go-to man for energy brokering on these forums and I just recently picked up an interest in the energy brokering business.No real reason to sell myself so I'll just leave it at that.

Thanks for your time.

I answered his questions, which led to more questions, many of which I continually receive.

Omega agreed that an AMA thread would be good.

So, to answer Omega's first question:

Are tests required to become an energy broker?

There are no tests to become an energy broker; you just have to broker for an existing brokerage that will hire you. A brokerage will hire a hungry salesperson any day of the week.

In that way, it is different than selling insurance, real estate or mortgages.

How do I find suppliers?

You don't have to find suppliers. The brokerage already has the contracts with the suppliers. You can learn from the brokerage, get experience and eventually start your own brokerage if that's what you want to do.

I have personally sold - as well as recruit salespeople, and build sales teams - at many levels, from D2D business to consumer sales, to selling commodities to the Fortune 1000 and Inc 5000.

In this thread, ask me anything about the energy business, or about real-life, offline (not on the internet) sales to businesses.

As the title of this thread states, I've produced $50,000,000+ in revenue in my career.

During that time, I have closed multiple deals that paid me six figures. In some cases, those payouts were upfront. Other cases, those payouts were one time, one lump sum payments.

I've closed Class A office buildings, the corporate headquarters of Abercrombie and Fitch, and the corporate headquarters of Lane Bryant.

I've made more money on single deals than most doctors do in a year.

The sick part about phone sales is that a teenager - or an old man - anywhere in the world can pick up the hustle immediately, and sell to anyone in the world. That's one of the exciting corollary realities to the fact that hundreds of millions of human beings will be coming online over the years to come.

Sales requires energy and a personality. Anyone who says that "they can't sell" is lying to themselves, engaging in the sort of negative self-talk that prevents a "selling" personality. "They can't sell" because they're telling themselves that they cannot sell.

Selling is a skill, just like riding a bike. A child doesn't learn how to ride a bike by reading books about bike riding. Youtube videos might help. But the learning happens when the doing happens.

As Nietzsche advises: Do the thing, and you have the power! <<== Dr. HAHA Lung Power Quote.

Anyway, back to energy.

If you want to get into energy, get in with an older company, one founded before the Texas deregulation of the early 2000's.

"Deregulation" means that the state has eliminated the utility's monopoly on the marketplace. <<== Real life example of how monopolies are really created, for those of you who doubt or don't know that it is the government that creates and upholds monopolies.

Electricity markets are deregulated, for example, in Texas, Illinois, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, etc. California and Michigan have very partial deregulation.

Most states in the United States are deregulated for Natural Gas.

Arizona, incidentally, is not.

Florida is deregulated for natural gas, not for electricity.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what state it you live in, or even which country you live in. You can sell energy anywhere.

Energy efficiency, however, is far more interesting than selling energy (in my opinion). Some people still make gobs of money selling energy, but that doesn't interest me anymore. Selling energy efficiency is more cutting edge, it is the wave of the future, and the barrier of entry is high enough to trip up newbies for months and probably years. It is the space in which Elon Musk thrives.

When choosing an energy brokerage to work with, choose one that provides data-driven procurement and consulting solutions to commercial and industrial customers. You need a brokerage with daily supplier prices that allows them to benchmark prices in every deregulated energy market. A true brokerage reviews thousands of prices every day to deliver superior consulting, including true apples-to-apples comparisons.

In other words, they do all the crap, so you don't have to. All you have to do is sell.

The brokerage coordinates energy management strategies, including green energy, energy efficiency projects, and Demand Response enrollment.

Selecting the best energy supplier price and contract is an important decision, probably the most important decision that owners and managers of large commercial buildings make. Energy is their highest cost. Period. A true brokerage monitors electricity and natural gas markets across the U.S. every day.

For any customer - or potential customer - they will be able to generate pricing from a multitude of suppliers within 3 - 5 business days.

Today, I only sell big-ticket items to big-ticket customers. I have a few deals pending right now that will produce mid seven-figure income in 2016. While these deals don't necessarily require a long sales cycle (just relationships with top A-players, C-level executives that can strike a deal like that with a stroke of his pen)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Sowexly

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Nov 7, 2013
Sell yourself to the brokerage with phone call(s)? To get the job of selling to their contacts?
Location independence?

xavi22

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Jun 6, 2014
What is needed to get into such business, especially in the state of California where you mention it has very partial deregulation?

Duane

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Jul 23, 2015
Lakeland FL
I've never heard of energy brokers. I figured electric companies dealt with all your power needs. Or are electric companies brokers as well?

We are looking long term at being energy suppliers (photocatalysis)/solar panel providers (for homes and creating farms). Anyways, my question is if you wanted to get into this field (being a supplier), do you know what major barriers you have to overcome beyond money (loans) to get involved in the business?

Also, what do you mean by selling energy efficiency? Can you elaborate more on that.

Last edited:

Fendaril

Contributor
Sep 7, 2015
Hey man.

I find that when I am tied to a script people can tell.

I have gotten the urge to just throw away the script and sell my heart out.

Is that the right attitude?

• Banned

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
Sell yourself to the brokerage with phone call(s)?

The first step to contacting a brokerage is to find a legit brokerage. This is easier said than done, because the energy brokering business - on both the natural gas and electricity side - is barely regulated.

Each state has its own individual regulatory board. While these boards often require licensing, brokers operating without a license are rarely fined, penalized, or even discovered.

This is why I suggested that anyone wanting to broker energy work with an older firm. The older firms are most likely licensed and operate with no shadiness.

As an example of just how comedic and shady this business can be, look no further than the supplier Glacial Energy.

Glacial Energy is an actual, licensed energy supplier. Energy suppliers are one step up the food chain past brokerages. Running an energy supply company requires millions in capital, strong credit and the ability to compete with the Fortune 500 players in the game.

Glacial Energy was implicated in a blood diamonds scheme.

Not to mention that their pricing sucks. That's just the beginning, but the list doesn't end there.

Ambit Energy is also an energy supplier. In 2010, they were the fastest growing company in the United States. #1 on the Inc 500.

Ambit Energy, however, is an MLM company. When I had door-to-door sales reps selling both commercial and residential energy, they cancelled Ambit Energy contracts day in and day out. This is because Ambit makes its money via the MLM model, and not by competitively pricing the commodities markets. Most people inside Ambit can't even spell kWh (stands for kilowatt hour).

To get the job of selling to their contacts?

I'm not sure what you mean by this. If you were to connect with a solid energy brokerage (if anyone wants help doing that, just PM me), you would not be selling to "their" contacts. Although, you might get lucky and get in with a firm that wants to hire someone to renew their existing clients. That's the best case scenario, because you're just calling to extend contracts, and would then be eligible for all of the renewal fees associated with the extension of said contract.

Location independence?

Definitely. That's one of the beauties of the business. You can be in Dubai or Dallas, and communicate with any clients and prospects over the phone. The only thing that is tied down to location are the generation plants and the distribution lines, which are owned by the suppliers and the utility companies. You do not contractually own any of the natural gas or electricity that you broker.

What is needed to get into such business, especially in the state of California where you mention it has very partial deregulation?

A cell phone, a laptop, and the willingness to learn to sell energy is all that is needed. Again, that is the beauty of the business. To be a residential real estate agent, or a commercial real estate broker - or an insurance agent, or a stock broker - you need to take classes and tests, and you have to get licensed. This costs money. Becoming an energy broker costs no money, and the income begins faster.

California only has partial deregulation, yes. California deregulated their electricity market years ago, and then decided to reverse that decision. Only customers that switched to a supplier during the deregulation era have the right to continue to buy on the private market. The rest of the customers have to pay California's ridiculous electricity prices.

Selling energy efficiency in California where the money's at. More on that next post.

I've never heard of energy brokers.

That's not surprising, since you live in Florida. The state of Florida is deregulated for natural gas, not for electricity.

Electricity deregulation is predominantly a mid-west and east coast thing.

Brokerages explain deregulation and regulation in the following way:

Regulation: In certain areas across North America, energy prices remain regulated. This means that all energy providing processes including pricing are governed by a regulatory or government body, with only the local utility able to sell directly to consumers. The utility or government set the prices for natural gas and electricity supply, along with the associated transportation and distribution costs associated with those commodities. Consumers therefore have no choice when it comes to their energy provider.

Deregulation: Deregulation has taken place in many states and provinces throughout North America. It has allowed competitive energy suppliers, such as Just Energy, to enter the markets and offer their energy supply products to consumers. Energy prices are not regulated in these areas and consumers are not forced to receive supply from their utility. In deregulated markets, consumers can choose their supplier, similar to other common household service providers. The marketing of these services is still regulated.

We are looking long term at being energy suppliers (photocatalysis)/solar panel providers (for homes and creating farms). Anyways, my question is if you wanted to get into this field (being a supplier), do you know what major barriers you have to overcome beyond money (loans) to get involved in the business?

I'm not sure what you're asking.

First off, getting into the solar industry - for homes and commercial businesses - is a great idea. One of my partners has done 2,000 energy efficiency upgrades in Ohio alone. These energy efficiency upgrades were all done on homes, and included upgrades like solar panels, LED lighting, HVAC upgrades, air handling, etc.

There is a multitude of awesome financing out there for both homeowners, business owners and commercial property owners who want to perform energy efficient upgrades on their homes. For homeowners, if they have a credit score of 650 or above, they qualify for an energy finance loan of up to $25,000 at 6.9%, over a 10 year term. The monthly energy savings typically pay for the cost of the project, making the project cash-flow positive from day 1.

In other words, the homeowner gets brand new solar panels and LED lights, and pays no money out of pocket. They simply make monthly payments, which are covered by the energy savings.

Last edited:

Duane

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Jul 23, 2015
Lakeland FL
First off, getting into the solar industry - for homes and commercial businesses - is a great idea. One of my partners has done 2,000 energy efficiency upgrades in Ohio alone. These energy efficiency upgrades were all done on homes, and included upgrades like solar panels, LED lighting, HVAC upgrades, air handling, etc.

There is a multitude of awesome financing out there for both homeowners, business owners and commercial property owners who want to perform energy efficient upgrades on their homes. For homeowners, if they have a credit score of 650 or above, they qualify for an energy finance loan of up to $25,000 at 6.9%, over a 10 year term. The monthly energy savings typically pay for the cost of the project, making the project cash-flow positive from day 1.

In other words, the homeowner gets brand new solar panels and LED lights, and pays no money out of pocket. They simply make monthly payments, which are covered by the energy savings.

It's regulated which means as of now in Florida we can't get into the solar industry, right? There is a chance it's going to be on the November ballot though.

Won't we have to pay the upfront costs of those solar panels before we can install them on to people's property's? Or is it more like a when someone gets the financing to purchases a solar plan then we use that money to buy the panels?

Lukebrisbane

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Feb 19, 2014
Brisbane, Australia.
i'm currently a broker in the finance industry, so this interests me. So to get into this, say i'm from australia...the state i am in needs to have an "unregulated" energy sector, so that means that anyone can come in and sell energy? I'm currently reading through your other posts on the elite 1200 and stuff, finding it interesting. I know i could apply what you're talking about to mortgage broking but i'm finding it not enough sales and more getting bogged down doing paperwork for days at a time. How is the learning curve for energy? i feel to even start seeing clients a finance broker it takes a strong background in banking (i don't have) which has shown me down. I know it sounds like i'm looking for a low barrier to energy, i can understand it would take along time to build relationships and sales skills, i'm just wondering if the actual selling/understanding the nature of the business is hard.

rc08234

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Jun 29, 2011
South Jersey
Do you have any recommended resources to learn about energy and selling it?

D

Deleted25186

Hi Ubermensch,
I am currently located in Germany and want to get into the brokerage business.
Can you recommend me the best firms to apply to?
Can I really get paid even though I am located in Germany?
Can you do it part time?
And one more thing. I have been watching Tai Lopezes Videos and have been learning about the cognitive biases. What is your real life experience with it?

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
Do you have any recommended resources to learn about energy and selling it?

This thread, and private messages to me.

Hi Ubermensch,
I am currently located in Germany and want to get into the brokerage business.

Definitely possible. Germany is six hours ahead of New York. 9:00am in New York is 2:00pm in Germany. Therefore, to make calls in the United States, the best times to call would be from 2:00pm - 3:00pm and then later in the evening, your time.

Can you recommend me the best firms to apply to?

Yes, it's a short list. People ask me all the time to set them up with a brokerage, and I am happy to do so.

Can I really get paid even though I am located in Germany?

Yes. From Germany, you can speak to clients with facilities in the United States. Sell a client in the United States and energy contract, and you will be paid by the US company.

Can you do it part time?

Yes. However, the less time you spend on the business, the smarter you will have to work to see results. Sales is a pipeline building endeavor. The more leads you fill your pipeline with, the more likelihood that you will close a deal. Suppose you have a closing ratio of 10%. 10 leads gets you one deal. 50 leads gets you 5 deals. 100 leads gets you 10 deals. The number of leads you get is directly correlated to how many phone calls you make and how many referrals from strategic partners you get.

By working smarter and not harder, you might get away with not putting in too much time. An example would be if you know a top-producing commercial real estate broker. You could call such a broker, set up a strategic partnership with him, and pay him for every client referral of his that signs an energy contract. Brokers are open to these types of relationship because they are salespeople, they're in it for the commission and to bring additional value to their clients.

And one more thing. I have been watching Tai Lopezes Videos and have been learning about the cognitive biases. What is your real life experience with it?

I've never watched a complete Tai Lopez video. From what I've seen, I never saw or heard anything that engaged me.

i'm currently a broker in the finance industry, so this interests me. So to get into this, say i'm from australia...the state i am in needs to have an "unregulated" energy sector, so that means that anyone can come in and sell energy?

I believe Australia's natural gas and electricity markets are deregulated for both residential and commercial customers. In regards to the market in general, I can give you some insights, but I can't comment on specifics because I have never brokered energy in Australia.

I glanced quickly at a review of Australia's energy markets and their prices seem quite high for electricity, which would make the need for cost containment high.

I'm currently reading through your other posts on the elite 1200 and stuff, finding it interesting. I know i could apply what you're talking about to mortgage broking but i'm finding it not enough sales and more getting bogged down doing paperwork for days at a time.

The elite 1200 study is probably the most underrated and unheard of resource for salespeople in all of existence.

Everyone in sales wants a blueprint to consistently produce a $1,000,000+ income. The elite 1200 is that blueprint.

The key is to identify centers of influence. A center of influence is a non-competing professional or business that serves the same clients and prospects that you want to access.

A center of influence is a professional or a business that has a strong and trusted relationship with your target market.

In your case, as a mortgage broker, your ideal strategic partner would be a top-producing real estate agent that doesn't already have a mortgage broker to refer. A good course of action would be to research your market for the top agents - the ones that do the most sales and the ones that have the most listings - and partner up with them.

How is the learning curve for energy? i feel to even start seeing clients a finance broker it takes a strong background in banking (i don't have) which has shown me down. I know it sounds like i'm looking for a low barrier to energy, i can understand it would take along time to build relationships and sales skills, i'm just wondering if the actual selling/understanding the nature of the business is hard.

I don't rely on sales skills or closing skills to produce revenue. I rely on the strength of my product or service offering. The value of the offering should speak for itself, so you barely have to sell it. The process of "Selling" a truly valuable service is a simple matter of education. I find that the best solutions to the customer's needs are often such no-brainers that my job revolves around eliminating the skepticism of the prospect.

It's regulated which means as of now in Florida we can't get into the solar industry, right?

The retail energy markets - natural gas and electricity - are regulated by the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, and the local state bodies. (Example: Illinois' energy market is overseen by the Illinois Commerce Commission and the Ohio energy market is overseen by the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio).

The solar industry is part of a larger industry called "energy efficiency." This industry is also regulated, but it is regulated by traditional construction industry legislation. In other words, contractors must be licensed, bonded, insured, etc.

There is a chance it's going to be on the November ballot though.

Not sure what you're referring to.

Won't we have to pay the upfront costs of those solar panels before we can install them on to people's property's? Or is it more like a when someone gets the financing to purchases a solar plan then we use that money to buy the panels?

Selling solar panels - or any energy efficiency upgrade - to either a homeowner or a commercial business is very similar to the energy brokering sales process.

In both cases, the key to the sale is focusing on the value - the lowered energy costs, with no money upfront.

When a customer signs an energy contract, they do not pay anything upfront. There are no upfront hourly costs and no retainers. The client simply signs a contract and keeps paying the energy bill, just to a different supplier.

When a customer signs an energy efficiency contract - for new LED lights or solar panels for their home or business - they do it with financing.

There are many financing options in place from the federal government, some of which every real estate person should take advantage of if they own commercial property.

An example is PACE - Property Assessed Clean Energy - which is taking off in Ohio, California, and New York.

Last edited:

Duane

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Jul 23, 2015
Lakeland FL
Not sure what you're referring to.

There is a high chance that the Florida right to produce and sell solar energy will be on the Nov 8, 2016 ballot. That would be "deregulating" solar energy in FL, right?

Selling solar panels - or any energy efficiency upgrade - to either a homeowner or a commercial business is very similar to the energy brokering sales process.

In both cases, the key to the sale is focusing on the value - the lowered energy costs, with no money upfront.

When a customer signs an energy contract, they do not pay anything upfront. There are no upfront hourly costs and no retainers. The client simply signs a contract and keeps paying the energy bill, just to a different supplier.

When a customer signs an energy efficiency contract - for new LED lights or solar panels for their home or business - they do it with financing.

There are many financing options in place from the federal government, some of which every real estate person should take advantage of if they own commercial property.

An example is PACE - Property Assessed Clean Energy - which is taking off in Ohio, California, and New York.

The person paying for the solar panels on their homes get their own financing. So the solar company that put those panels on the roof profit from installing the panels and the mark up on the panels? Does this mean that we don't start the process and get the panels until the buyer has paid for the upgrade?

Superwoman

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Aug 18, 2014
Colorado
The first step to contacting a brokerage is to find a legit brokerage. This is easier said than done, because the energy brokering business - on both the natural gas and electricity side - is barely regulated.

Each state has its own individual regulatory board. While these boards often require licensing, brokers operating without a license are rarely fined, penalized, or even discovered.

This is why I suggested that anyone wanting to broker energy work with an older firm. The older firms are most likely licensed and operate with no shadiness.

As an example of just how comedic and shady this business can be, look no further than the supplier Glacial Energy.

Glacial Energy is an actual, licensed energy supplier. Energy suppliers are one step up the food chain past brokerages. Running an energy supply company requires millions in capital, strong credit and the ability to compete with the Fortune 500 players in the game.

Glacial Energy was implicated in a blood diamonds scheme.

Not to mention that their pricing sucks. That's just the beginning, but the list doesn't end there.

Ambit Energy is also an energy supplier. In 2010, they were the fastest growing company in the United States. #1 on the Inc 500.

Ambit Energy, however, is an MLM company. When I had door-to-door sales reps selling both commercial and residential energy, they cancelled Ambit Energy contracts day in and day out. This is because Ambit makes its money via the MLM model, and not by competitively pricing the commodities markets. Most people inside Ambit can't even spell kWh (stands for kilowatt hour).

I'm not sure what you mean by this. If you were to connect with a solid energy brokerage (if anyone wants help doing that, just PM me), you would not be selling to "their" contacts. Although, you might get lucky and get in with a firm that wants to hire someone to renew their existing clients. That's the best case scenario, because you're just calling to extend contracts, and would then be eligible for all of the renewal fees associated with the extension of said contract.

Definitely. That's one of the beauties of the business. You can be in Dubai or Dallas, and communicate with any clients and prospects over the phone. The only thing that is tied down to location are the generation plants and the distribution lines, which are owned by the suppliers and the utility companies. You do not contractually own any of the natural gas or electricity that you broker.

A cell phone, a laptop, and the willingness to learn to sell energy is all that is needed. Again, that is the beauty of the business. To be a residential real estate agent, or a commercial real estate broker - or an insurance agent, or a stock broker - you need to take classes and tests, and you have to get licensed. This costs money. Becoming an energy broker costs no money, and the income begins faster.

California only has partial deregulation, yes. California deregulated their electricity market years ago, and then decided to reverse that decision. Only customers that switched to a supplier during the deregulation era have the right to continue to buy on the private market. The rest of the customers have to pay California's ridiculous electricity prices.

Selling energy efficiency in California where the money's at. More on that next post.

That's not surprising, since you live in Florida. The state of Florida is deregulated for natural gas, not for electricity.

Electricity deregulation is predominantly a mid-west and east coast thing.

Brokerages explain deregulation and regulation in the following way:

Regulation: In certain areas across North America, energy prices remain regulated. This means that all energy providing processes including pricing are governed by a regulatory or government body, with only the local utility able to sell directly to consumers. The utility or government set the prices for natural gas and electricity supply, along with the associated transportation and distribution costs associated with those commodities. Consumers therefore have no choice when it comes to their energy provider.

Deregulation: Deregulation has taken place in many states and provinces throughout North America. It has allowed competitive energy suppliers, such as Just Energy, to enter the markets and offer their energy supply products to consumers. Energy prices are not regulated in these areas and consumers are not forced to receive supply from their utility. In deregulated markets, consumers can choose their supplier, similar to other common household service providers. The marketing of these services is still regulated.

I'm not sure what you're asking.

I have a neighbor doing this now and I am starting the process myself.

Silver

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 28, 2015
I'm sure I speak for everyone here when I say thanks for sharing this information. I recently left a career in mortgage sales as I was burnt out with it and came across energy brokers as a profitable industry but could not find much info on the field untill now.

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
I have a neighbor doing this now and I am starting the process myself.

Cool.

What state(s) are you targeting?

Are you starting this because you already have pre-existing relationships with commercial customers? If so, brokering energy is only the beginning.

Are you targeting customers consuming 25,000,000 kWh (25,000 megawatt hours)?
If you don't know how to guestimate energy usage yet, this would be large manufacturing clients, data centers, hospitals, and office buildings over 600,000 square feet.

If so, I would recommend at least speaking to your customers about going to the wholesale market, as opposed to the retail electricity suppliers that 99.9999% of the other brokers go to (Champion Energy, Constellation Energy, Duke Energy, Direct Energy, AEP Energy, Energy.me, Green Mountain Energy, Glacial Energy, etc).

Ever wonder why, if you go to a state licensing board for the list of retail electricity suppliers (which I assume you've done - which you have to have done - if you are actually doing this), why you see the name Wal-Mart?

Because Wal-Mart is a retail electricity supplier, just like all the other suppliers in the business.

Wal-Mart being Wal-Mart always cuts out the middleman... even if that middleman is a Fortune 500 suppliers. LMFAO. (Gotta love these guys and their strategy. They make everyone in the market place look so dumb.)

If you're interested, I can introduce you to the only firm on the globe that does this. (Again, this is only relevant if you're dealing with large, ultra-large or uber-large accounts that spend deca-millions a year on energy.) The strategy requires a 24/7 trading desk and global participation in energy trades on multiple continents.

In other words, this is a strategy that was impossible for me to execute when I ran my own brokerage back in the day (and impossible for you, and every other brokerage in existence... except one, maybe two or three).

Short response now.

Longer response later.

PS. Energy markets - especially for smaller clients - have been beat up bad. Lots of competition. At least, way more than I like to deal with.

I prefer speaking to clients about concepts, ideas and strategies that they have never heard of or even conceived of.

By way of example, there is FAR more money in selling energy efficiency than selling energy.

As an example, I have a client that uses 6,000,000 kWh (kilowatt hours) per annum. I charge them $0.003 (three "mils") per kWh.

~$18,000 per year, paid out to me monthly, whether I work or sleep.

I sold that client a package of LED's (11,000 LED 18 watt tubes), and made $110,000.
The client dropped their energy consumption by 21.5% percent, and financed the whole project. Their monthly savings are twice their monthly payments on the 5-year capital lease of the lights.

And that was only phase one of the project. Lighting is only the beginning of energy efficiency.

And energy savings - whether they are generated through efficiency or procurement (brokering), are only the beginning when it comes to attainable savings, without upfront costs.

Last edited:

Superwoman

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Aug 18, 2014
Colorado
Cool.

What state(s) are you targeting?

Are you starting this because you already have pre-existing relationships with commercial customers? If so, brokering energy is only the beginning.

Are you targeting customers consuming 25,000,000 kWh (25,000 megawatt hours)?
If you don't know how to guestimate energy usage yet, this would be large manufacturing clients, data centers, hospitals, and office buildings over 600,000 square feet.

If so, I would recommend at least speaking to your customers about going to the wholesale market, as opposed to the retail electricity suppliers that 99.9999% of the other brokers go to (Champion Energy, Constellation Energy, Duke Energy, Direct Energy, AEP Energy, Energy.me, Green Mountain Energy, Glacial Energy, etc).

Ever wonder why, if you go to a state licensing board for the list of retail electricity suppliers (which I assume you've done - which you have to have done - if you are actually doing this), why you see the name Wal-Mart?

Because Wal-Mart is a retail electricity supplier, just like all the other suppliers in the business.

Wal-Mart being Wal-Mart always cuts out the middleman... even if that middleman is a Fortune 500 suppliers. LMFAO. (Gotta love these guys and their strategy. They make everyone in the market place look so dumb.)

If you're interested, I can introduce you to the only firm on the globe that does this. (Again, this is only relevant if you're dealing with large, ultra-large or uber-large accounts that spend deca-millions a year on energy.) The strategy requires a 24/7 trading desk and global participation in energy trades on multiple continents.

In other words, this is a strategy that was impossible for me to execute when I ran my own brokerage back in the day (and impossible for you, and every other brokerage in existence... except one, maybe two or three).

Short response now.

Longer response later.

Sorry Ubermensch, I wasn't clear. I meant my neighbor is getting solar panels installed on his roof with no upfront cost to him. It will be paid for through his reduced Xcell bill. (Our regulated electric provider in Colorado). I plan on looking seriously into this as well.

I am very interested in renewable energy and have been searching for a fastlane business to start here in CO. My next vehicle will be an electric one. (See the Tesla pic in my profile). So, I have been doing some forum searches here on FLF and found you! What an interesting industry you are in.

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
Sorry Ubermensch, I wasn't clear. I meant my neighbor is getting solar panels installed on his roof with no upfront cost to him. It will be paid for through his reduced Xcell bill. (Our regulated electric provider in Colorado). I plan on looking seriously into this as well.

I am very interested in renewable energy and have been searching for a fastlane business to start here in CO. My next vehicle will be an electric one. (See the Tesla pic in my profile). So, I have been doing some forum searches here on FLF and found you! What an interesting industry you are in.

Oh!

Even better. Energy efficiency is far more interesting.

What are the terms of your neighbor's financing of the solar panels?

Here's the cool part about energy efficiency for your home: solar panels are only the beginning.

1) You can replace your energy-sucking lights with LED's that will last thousands of hours, up to ten years.

2) You can make major HVAC/heating and air conditioning upgrades.

3) You can upgrade the roof.

4) You can improve air-flow.

5) You can improve insulation.

6) You can replace your windows.

There are some groups out there that will finance ALL of these upgrades in single financing package. The terms are as good as ~7% on a an unsecured energy efficiency loan, with a ten year term. The monthly energy savings cover some - or all - of the cost of the project.

The projects can be as large as $25,000 (minimum 650 credit score required).

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
I'm sure I speak for everyone here when I say thanks for sharing this information. I recently left a career in mortgage sales as I was burnt out with it and came across energy brokers as a profitable industry but could not find much info on the field untill now.

Commercial or residential mortgage sales?

Either way, you should take a look at selling energy efficiency, not just energy. You'll make more money - and make money faster - by selling efficiency!

Trust me. I've done both. Energy brokering is on the back burner. I don't turn business away, and I renew existing clients to keep the cash-flow coming in, but it's all about efficiency.

Check out the Inc 500. It's crowded with energy efficiency companies.

Silver

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 28, 2015
I sold residential mortgages only. A lot of cold calling from leads especially on Saturdays. I saw the list on Inc 500 and it seems to be a good source to start.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I used to do a bit of this... Did well in a down market for a few years... I was buying them out of their contracts. I got tortoise interference threats but I didn't care. Lol even T-Mobile does it today. And technically they were adhering to their contract by paying the proper money to get out of it.

50,000,000 in sales is misleading, however, considering as a broker of electricity you would be doing good to take home 2 to 3 mils (.2-.3 cents per kWh) on accounts large enough to pull numbers like that ever.

Also you are basically like a realtor in the way that everyone knows 3 people who do what you do already. It really is a slugfest to the bottom. I once bid on a deal that I was sure would net me 30-60k per year... Then some dumbass came in and bid a price that net him about 5k per year and won.

Folks this is not all unicorns and rainbows.

Last edited:

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
I used to do a bit of this... Did well in a down market for a few years... I was buying them out of their contracts. I got tortoise interference threats but I didn't care. Lol even T-Mobile does it today. And technically they were adhering to their contract by paying the proper money to get out of it.

Yup. You can do that in a down market, and risk soiling relationships with the most competitive suppliers for large commercial accounts. That's why nobody I know with large commercial accounts - accounts large enough to make you six-figures - plays that game. Which makes me wonder...

What was your biggest using client? Abercrombie and Fitch was 35,000,000 kWh when I signed them.

50,000,000 in sales is misleading

Only if you make false assumptions, like you did.

You assumed that $50,000,000 of my sales production came entirely from energy sales in deregulated energy markets.

95% of my sales production for the past two years has come in the energy efficiency space.

Now that we have the facts straight, let's get to the next point.

And, if you're going to critique my post as misleading, at least do yourself the justice of using a complete sentence to express the thought. As it is written, your false accusation of misleading is actually rather incomprehensible.

Forgive me for my Uber-focus on specificity, particularly when it comes to the way I use my words. That's the way to communicate to large commercial accounts (again, interested in how many of those you got... you know... "when you used to do a bit of this").

Also you are basically like a realtor in the way that everyone knows 3 people who do what you do already.

I love irony.

In this case, it's ironic that you falsely complain about misleading language in my previous post, and then go on to provide a real, actual example of misleading.

No one calls a commercial real estate broker - or a commercial real estate sales professional - a "realtor." Using the word "realtor" usually tells me that the person using it has little to no commercial experience.

That's why I asked you what your largest client used whilst you... "used to do a bit of this."

Lol. I used to do A LOT of this.

It really is a slugfest to the bottom. I once bid on a deal that I was sure would net me 30-60k per year... Then some dumbass came in and bid a price that net him about 5k per year and won.

Yea. I used to beat guys like you all the time, back when proactively sold energy (I haven't for two of the past seven years). It's all about being precise with how you communicate the pricing.

The guys who fight the normal way lose and get buried in the slug fest. Experienced brokers, who make millions every year - some of them every quarter, or even every month - win by fighting outside of the fight.

My friend has 5,000,000,000 (five billion) kWh under management right now.

You can check out his site here: www.appienergy.com

There's an art to winning the deal, a way to ensure the most competitive pricing from the supplier. Most brokers, and people who just "do a bit of this."

He's got that art down to a science. It's nice to have unparalleled data analysis to beat up guys who just kind of dabble in the business.

I throw deals his way from time to time, and make a few mils.

I explain mils on my post on how I made ===>>> $185,000 in a week, <<<<==== and I think I did so in this thread as well, so not sure why @Kak felt the need to explain that for a third time.

Maybe he didn't actually read much of the thread, because if he did (and comprehended it), he wouldn't have falsely accused me of "misleading."

But hey, it's not the first time someone on the fast lane took what I said the wrong way.

No hard feelings here, just a relentless, indomitable communicator that takes words very motherfuckin' seriously, because I use words to close the kind of deals that only a Master closes.

Folks this is not all unicorns and rainbows.

This is, perhaps, the most accurate statement in your post.

You're right, it's not. It's all wolves in a jungle, competing for the kill.

My friend has successfully ran his broker since 1996. I've had clients that have paid me forever for the past 7 years (I don't have to work for those clients anymore, just renew them).

I don't think you can do that - in such a dog-eat-dog environment - and... "just do a bit of this."

Last edited by a moderator:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Yup. You can do that in a down market, and risk soiling relationships with the most competitive suppliers for large commercial accounts. That's why nobody I know with large commercial accounts - accounts large enough to make you six-figures - plays that game. Which makes me wonder...

What was your biggest using client? Abercrombie and Fitch was 35,000,000 kWh when I signed them.

Only if you make false assumptions, like you did.

You assumed that $50,000,000 of my sales production came entirely from energy sales in deregulated energy markets.

95% of my sales production for the past two years has come in the energy efficiency space.

Now that we have the facts straight, let's get to the next point.

And, if you're going to critique my post as misleading, at least do yourself the justice of using a complete sentence to express the thought. As it is written, your false accusation of misleading is actually rather incomprehensible.

Forgive me for my Uber-focus on specificity, particularly when it comes to the way I use my words. That's the way to communicate to large commercial accounts (again, interested in how many of those you got... you know... "when you used to do a bit of this").

I love irony.

In this case, it's ironic that you falsely complain about misleading language in my previous post, and then go on to provide a real, actual example of misleading.

No one calls a commercial real estate broker - or a commercial real estate sales professional - a "realtor." Using the word "realtor" usually tells me that the person using it has little to no commercial experience.

That's why I asked you what your largest client used whilst you... "used to do a bit of this."

Lol. I used to do A LOT of this.

Yea. I used to beat guys like you all the time, back when proactively sold energy (I haven't for two of the past seven years). It's all about being precise with how you communicate the pricing.

The guys who fight the normal way lose and get buried in the slug fest. Experienced brokers, who make millions every year - some of them every quarter, or even every month - win by fighting outside of the fight.

My friend has 5,000,000,000 (five billion) kWh under management right now.

You can check out his site here: www.appienergy.com

There's an art to winning the deal, a way to ensure the most competitive pricing from the supplier. Most brokers, and people who just "do a bit of this."

He's got that art down to a science. It's nice to have unparalleled data analysis to beat up guys who just kind of dabble in the business.

I throw deals his way from time to time, and make a few mils.

I explain mils on my post on how I made ===>>> $185,000 in a week, <<<<==== and I think I did so in this thread as well, so not sure why @Kak felt the need to explain that for a third time.

Maybe he didn't actually read much of the thread, because if he did (and comprehended it), he wouldn't have falsely accused me of "misleading."

But hey, it's not the first time someone on the fast lane took what I said the wrong way.

No hard feelings here, just a relentless, indomitable communicator that takes words very motherfuckin' seriously, because I use words to close the kind of deals that only a Master closes.

This is, perhaps, the most accurate statement in your post.

You're right, it's not. It's all wolves in a jungle, competing for the kill.

My friend has successfully ran his broker since 1996. I've had clients that have paid me forever for the past 7 years (I don't have to work for those clients anymore, just renew them).

I don't think you can do that - in such a dog-eat-dog environment - and... "just do a bit of this."

I am not actually at liberty to say who my clients were (and I doubt you are either...), generally speaking there are privacy statutes that go along with the deregulation of utilities that you should probably be aware of... But let me give you a couple of my larger ones... One was an entire small city, one was a college sports stadium and another was a 2 million square foot data center.

I sold capacitor technology, LEDs and window tinting as well... So I was also into some efficiency stuff too. I generally arranged financing and made the savings profitable for the customer from the first month. This was actually pretty good business.

The large providers can pound sand, I bought customers out of their contracts like nobody's business. The smaller providers were almost double my commission lower than the big ones. The only people who threatened me were other brokers losing their accounts to me. Also, the utility commission in the state I was operating in doesn't release the broker name or even the replacement provider information to the original provider.

50 million in sales refers to how much energy, at retail value, you sold (or didn't, I don't care)... Shit tons... I get it... You're a "master"... I never even did that calculation because it would have been a pointless waste of time. You make it sound like top line revenue, but the accounting didn't even make it to your company let alone the money. You know as well as I do since, "you beat guys like me all the time", that it doesn't look anything like that.

I stand by every comment in my post and I don't feel I have to justify shit to you.

Anyway Ill go back to being the stupid loser that I so clearly am and leave you be. And, really? You are going to critique sentence structure? Bite me you ego stroking douchebag.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lukebrisbane

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Feb 19, 2014
Brisbane, Australia.
Okay, so I'm still researching this in Australia. I type in Australian energy broker jobs, nothing. I type in Australian energy brokers, can't find much. I just want some beginning information to research how I could possibly get a start here, is there any suggestions? Thank you for sharing the knowledge with us. I know being a broker can be tough, i'm going through it at the moment. That elite 1200, do you have to pay membership to see all the profiles? That's obviously worth doing?

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
Anyway Ill go back to being the stupid loser that I so clearly am and leave you be. And, really? You are going to critique sentence structure? Bite me you ego stroking douchebag.

I never said you were a stupid loser, dude.

And...
Dammit.

Shush!

Don't tell anyone.

Until you - just now, with that last post - exposed me as an "ego stroking douchebag," no one knew this.

Until now, everyone thought Ubermensch was meek and mild. Everyone thought Ubermensch was just a tame little bunny rabbit. Everyone thought Ubermensch wasn't really a MON$TAR closing B2B deals that lead to exponential growth.

Maybe nobody knew Ubermensch's early mentors were hedge fund managers and investment bankers.

I am not actually at liberty to say who my clients were (and I doubt you are either...), generally speaking there are privacy statutes that go along with the deregulation of utilities that you should probably be aware of... But let me give you a couple of my larger ones... One was an entire small city, one was a college sports stadium and another was a 2 million square foot data center.

I sold capacitor technology, LEDs and window tinting as well... So I was also into some efficiency stuff too. I generally arranged financing and made the savings profitable for the customer from the first month. This was actually pretty good business.

Bro, this is dope as F*ck. Congratulations. Only talented and hard-working professionals obtain such clients. Much respect, sir.

Don't take my words out of context. Just because I talk some smack, don't get your panties all in a bunch.

If you are telling the truth, and I assume you are, considering you have "legendary" status around here... you are a player. Cool.

So, player to player, I will tell you that my words on this forum have been misunderstood severely, in more than one context.

Some of those those misunderstandings - like the false notion that I was, at any point, recruiting people on the fast lane for a self-created MLM- are punishable by banning me.

So you don't be alarmed when I insist on a proper understanding of my words.

I respect you, man, and it's good to know how you've made some of your money. I have a client that works with data centers all over the country. I understand their value.

The large providers can pound sand, I bought customers out of their contracts like nobody's business. The smaller providers were almost double my commission lower than the big ones. The only people who threatened me were other brokers losing their accounts to me. Also, the utility commission in the state I was operating in doesn't release the broker name or even the replacement provider information to the original provider.

HAHA.

See?

That's why I push buttons sometimes. You blew up, and revealed some of your activities. Very cool. Once again, props.

50 million in sales refers to how much energy, at retail value, you sold (or didn't, I don't care)... Shit tons... I get it... You're a "master"... I never even did that calculation because it would have been a pointless waste of time. You make it sound like top line revenue, but the accounting didn't even make it to your company let alone the money. You know as well as I do since, "you beat guys like me all the time", that it doesn't look anything like that.

I stand by every comment in my post and I don't feel I have to justify shit to you.

Nah. You still don't get it. Not all of the 50 million refers to energy sales. As I said, nearly all of my sales in the past two years have been energy efficiency sales.

I'm not being an a$$ hole by clarifying and correcting a few minor and subtle inaccuracies in your post.

My adherence and insistence to the truth and facts - particularly, the ones about myself - shouldn't make me a bad guy!

And if I actually included all of the sales revenue I've generated, that number would be far north of $100,000,000. I didn't include all of it, precisely because of how inflationary selling these commodities can be.

Either way, yes, you are right.

@theag

Truth is, I respect you, and I respect GrumpyCat, after I knew he was Rich Kid, after I knew he was my biggest hater on the forum.

A smart guy respects worthy opponents.

Not that I see deleteduserwhat'shisface as an opponent, or even competition.

Perhaps we'll even do business one day. On one of the few threads of his I read, I saw that he made a lot of money in the hospitality industry.

Anyway, hope that clears things up!

Okay, so I'm still researching this in Australia. I type in Australian energy broker jobs, nothing. I type in Australian energy brokers, can't find much. I just want some beginning information to research how I could possibly get a start here, is there any suggestions? Thank you for sharing the knowledge with us. I know being a broker can be tough, i'm going through it at the moment. That elite 1200, do you have to pay membership to see all the profiles? That's obviously worth doing?

I'd like to learn more about what you have experience doing.

The fact that you see the wisdom in the Elite 1200 study makes you a highly aware business development professional.

I would focus on industries and markets in which you can apply the Elite 1200 tactics and strategies.

Focus on industries in which big ticket items are sold, industries where the clients are ultra large.

The Elite 1200 logic doesn't apply to just selling to wealthy individuals.

The best way to meet people is by penetrating and leveraging their inner circle, their stepping into their tight sphere of influence by one of the elements within that sphere.

Last edited:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I never said you were a stupid loser, dude.

And...
Dammit.

Shush!

Don't tell anyone.

Until you - just now, with that last post - exposed me as an "ego stroking douchebag," no one knew this.

Until now, everyone thought Ubermensch was meek and mild. Everyone thought Ubermensch was just a tame little bunny rabbit. Everyone thought Ubermensch wasn't really a MON$TAR closing B2B deals that lead to exponential growth.

Maybe nobody knew Ubermensch's early mentors were hedge fund managers and investment bankers.

Bro, this is dope as F*ck. Congratulations. Only talented and hard-working professionals obtain such clients. Much respect, sir.

Don't take my words out of context. Just because I talk some smack, don't get your panties all in a bunch.

If you are telling the truth, and I assume you are, considering you have "legendary" status around here... you are a player. Cool.

So, player to player, I will tell you that my words on this forum have been misunderstood severely, in more than one context.

Some of those those misunderstandings - like the false notion that I was, at any point, recruiting people on the fast lane for a self-created MLM- are punishable by banning me.

So you don't be alarmed when I insist on a proper understanding of my words.

I respect you, man, and it's good to know how you've made some of your money. I have a client that works with data centers all over the country. I understand their value.

HAHA.

See?

That's why I push buttons sometimes. You blew up, and revealed some of your activities. Very cool. Once again, props.

Nah. You still don't get it. Not all of the 50 million refers to energy sales. As I said, nearly all of my sales in the past two years have been energy efficiency sales.

I'm not being an a$$ hole by clarifying and correcting a few minor and subtle inaccuracies in your post.

My adherence and insistence to the truth and facts - particularly, the ones about myself - shouldn't make me a bad guy!

And if I actually included all of the sales revenue I've generated, that number would be far north of $100,000,000. I didn't include all of it, precisely because of how inflationary selling these commodities can be.

Either way, yes, you are right.

@theag

Truth is, I respect you, and I respect GrumpyCat, after I knew he was Rich Kid, after I knew he was my biggest hater on the forum.

A smart guy respects worthy opponents.

Not that I see deleteduserwhat'shisface as an opponent, or even competition.

Perhaps we'll even do business one day. On one of the few threads of his I read, I saw that he made a lot of money in the hospitality industry.

Anyway, hope that clears things up!

I'd like to learn more about what you have experience doing.

The fact that you see the wisdom in the Elite 1200 study makes you a highly aware business development professional.

I would focus on industries and markets in which you can apply the Elite 1200 tactics and strategies.

Focus on industries in which big ticket items are sold, industries where the clients are ultra large.

The Elite 1200 logic doesn't apply to just selling to wealthy individuals.

The best way to meet people is by penetrating and leveraging their inner circle, their stepping into their tight sphere of influence by one of the elements within that sphere.

KAK did a little bit in this arena... By owning one of the larger energy brokerages...in the State of Texas.

And nobody ever thought you STARTED a MLM.

Lukebrisbane

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Feb 19, 2014
Brisbane, Australia.
Thanks for the reply, I do see the value in studying people in the elite 1200, I am very curious about getting into this. Okay. Well i'm a mortgage broker but I've been slow to grasp concepts, so my boss just has me doing back office stuff like filing loan applications to banks and calling leads to organise meetings, I paid 17,000 for the diploma to get into this, and right now I only make like 500 a week. This frustrates me because I want to be out there making sales, improving my skills. Not photocopying. I realise I have to start from the bottom, but I am just a pawn in my current firm. I'm only 24 and want to be on the pavement, on the phone building my own self, my own brand.

I see the value in the elite 1200 because I've studied the inc 5000 list of growing businesses since i was 20, It was all mental masturbation for me which is why for 2016 I want something to just throw myself into. Energy broking/energy saving seems a big interest for me because building my network interests me, i already have a rule where I add 5 people a day on linkedIn, could you explain what aggressive networking means to you? I know there are networking events you can go to, but my boss told me they are just bottom feeders. I will and can do it, I want to get on the phone.

I will always be draw to broking in same way or another due to what you talk about in this thread, the ability to leverage relationships and get a piece of the bigger pie. What i'm confused about is googling energy broking jobs Australia and nothing coming up in terms of jobs, I am trying to do research to see if it's called something else here.

I know you've littered plenty of threads on this forum with golden eggs of knowledge on how to get started in this, Trust me i've spent all last night reading them, I'm going to continue to study the 1200, My first challenge is understanding the industry in Australia and getting some basics down online if I can study them, I can then make a calculated choice on who I'll approach and what I will try to position myself as, like you said I don't just want to work for a base salary and commission, I want to start my own little business if you will.

Right now i'll continue doing mortgage broking/admin, building my cold calling skills, my organisational skills and my belief in myself. BUT, I see this as something that could be alot more fastlane for me, mortgage broking will take me to about 60-80k working for my boss, under a franchise, I don't envision that as success, I envision that as being normal. I haven't read scoured this forum everyday for years to be normal. 2016 will be action. Independent action.

Thank you for the value you provide in all these posts, one thing over the years I see is not enough people saying thank you here. Successful people like you are time short, taking the time out to educate people like us really makes me appreciate the people out there.

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
50M in sales.

Post up for two weeks.

1 terse mod post in thread.

Eight-Ball-not-so-good.png

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
Thanks for the reply, I do see the value in studying people in the elite 1200, I am very curious about getting into this. Okay. Well i'm a mortgage broker but I've been slow to grasp concepts, so my boss just has me doing back office stuff like filing loan applications to banks and calling leads to organise meetings, I paid 17,000 for the diploma to get into this, and right now I only make like 500 a week. This frustrates me because I want to be out there making sales, improving my skills. Not photocopying. I realise I have to start from the bottom, but I am just a pawn in my current firm. I'm only 24 and want to be on the pavement, on the phone building my own self, my own brand.

I see the value in the elite 1200 because I've studied the inc 5000 list of growing businesses since i was 20, It was all mental masturbation for me which is why for 2016 I want something to just throw myself into. Energy broking/energy saving seems a big interest for me because building my network interests me, i already have a rule where I add 5 people a day on linkedIn, could you explain what aggressive networking means to you? I know there are networking events you can go to, but my boss told me they are just bottom feeders. I will and can do it, I want to get on the phone.

I will always be draw to broking in same way or another due to what you talk about in this thread, the ability to leverage relationships and get a piece of the bigger pie. What i'm confused about is googling energy broking jobs Australia and nothing coming up in terms of jobs, I am trying to do research to see if it's called something else here.

I know you've littered plenty of threads on this forum with golden eggs of knowledge on how to get started in this, Trust me i've spent all last night reading them, I'm going to continue to study the 1200, My first challenge is understanding the industry in Australia and getting some basics down online if I can study them, I can then make a calculated choice on who I'll approach and what I will try to position myself as, like you said I don't just want to work for a base salary and commission, I want to start my own little business if you will.

Right now i'll continue doing mortgage broking/admin, building my cold calling skills, my organisational skills and my belief in myself. BUT, I see this as something that could be alot more fastlane for me, mortgage broking will take me to about 60-80k working for my boss, under a franchise, I don't envision that as success, I envision that as being normal. I haven't read scoured this forum everyday for years to be normal. 2016 will be action. Independent action.

Thank you for the value you provide in all these posts, one thing over the years I see is not enough people saying thank you here. Successful people like you are time short, taking the time out to educate people like us really makes me appreciate the people out there.

I am far more interested in sales strategy in general than I am energy brokering.

A little reading comprehension applied to this thread will show that energy brokering was merely my first successful sales endeavor.

I have friends who run the largest brokerages in the country, as well as colleagues that started supply companies that @Kak probably brokered for, considering what @Vigilante said.

KAK did a little bit in this arena... By owning one of the larger energy brokerages...in the State of Texas.

Cool.

I have a hunch he sold my people's electricity then (Energy.me).

Would be an interesting conversation to have for sure. That said, the point I've tried to make in this thread is that selling energy is... a little played out. Down markets are far more fun.

@Lukebrisbane

I would recommend picking up every book ever written by Russ Alan Prince, who performed the elite 1200 study.

Prince also wrote a book called Rainmaker, in which he elaborates in depth as to what separates the seven and eight figure producers from the rest of the field.

I really don't care to discuss energy too much more in this thread.

I'm closing deals right now outside of the energy industry that quite simply make me far more money.

In some cases, these deals will make me eight figures in 2016, because I've managed to build elite 1200 styled strategic partnerships with Inc 5000/Inc 500 companies.

Talkin' $HIT is a function of how much more money you can make than everyone else.

I'm tellin' you, man. I can't emphasize the elite 1200 enough. Get creative about how you generate business in this way.

It's literally like affiliate marketing for deals with big money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!