The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Soon to be father. Work or school full time?

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

arfadugus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 5, 2014
Hi I am 25 and having a baby boy in February. (I'm stoked!) I'm currently in a job that has too many negatives for when my baby arrives. (long story short I have to quit and make a change.)

I have essentially two options and am looking for advice. (getting mixed reviews from family and girlfriend.)

Option A: Go to Community college on a Pell grant ($5,550) full time. $1,500 ish for tuition then the rest towards books and living expenses. And possibly get a part time job along side of that.

Option B: Find a full time Day Job (opting for something secure in the mean time instead of the jobless hustle)

If you guys could lay out some pros and cons for each option and even alternatives, insight, and helpful suggestions that would be great!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
Hi I am 25 and having a baby boy in February. (I'm stoked!) I'm currently in a job that has too many negatives for when my baby arrives. (long story short I have to quit and make a change.)

I have essentially two options and am looking for advice. (getting mixed reviews from family and girlfriend.)

Option A: Go to Community college on a Pell grant ($5,550) full time. $1,500 ish for tuition then the rest towards books and living expenses. And possibly get a part time job along side of that.

Option B: Find a full time Day Job (opting for something secure in the mean time instead of the jobless hustle)

If you guys could lay out some pros and cons for each option and even alternatives, insight, and helpful suggestions that would be great!

F*ck school.

Hustle hard. You have brought a huge responsibility into the world. Congratulations, and good luck. You're going to need it.

Good news is that the more you work, the less you will need luck.

Nothing worse, in my opinion, than an unfit father.

You need to flip the script and find a day job that pays you money. I suggest a sales job.

Baby's cost money. Diapers cost money. Baby shoes cost money. Baby clothes cost money. Medicare costs money. Baby pajamas cost money. Your wife, fiance, girlfriend, baby mama - whatever - will be what she eats, and so will your baby. Good food costs money.

"Mama need a house.. Baby need some shoes... times are gettin' hard... what you gotta do? hustle, hustle, hustle... hard..."

Duane

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Jul 23, 2015
Lakeland FL
You have more than just those options in my opinion, but it's more or less what you want to do for the rest of your life that will support your family. Your vision/passion/purpose.

For most people, you really don't need schooling to fill your role in life. But if you're the kind of guy that wants to get into a technical field and you truly enjoy a certain specialization like lets say an engineer, then schooling is a definite must. I know a lot of people on this forum are against school, but I've met a lot of people that love their specialized job and feel that's the reason they were put on Earth.

But if you're going to go to school in hopes to get a job to make more money or just get a generalized degree in hopes of finding a better job, then you're going to school for the wrong reason. I see way too many people go to college in hopes of making more money and regret it. You can't go to college in hopes of making more money, it's a pitfall far to many fall into.

I think that you should ultimately sit down and think to yourself and answer the hardest question to answer in life. Ask yourself this, "What is it that I want to do that will have me waking up everyday with a sense of fulfillment."

If you know the answer to that, then you can do research and figure out what you need to do in order to get into that position.

If this position requires school, you don't have to start school now. And if you do there are a lot of options you can work with, the only problem will be the limits of your pell grant. Some grants you have to maintain a certain amount of credit hours per semester, but you could do a Co-Op and opt out of a semester every year and do a half and half. Work full time one semester and go to school the next. I personally know a few engineer majors that do 15 credit hours and work 50 hours a week, you won't be able to see your child much, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Depending on what you need to survive you could prolly go to school full time, work 30 hours a week and still have some time to see your kid, but no leisure time outside of wife/kid time.

Here are the Pro's and Con's in my opinion though:

If you do just get a full time job to help pay the bills, the cons will far outweigh the pros. More than likely you won't be doing what you enjoy doing. Which in the end, you'll regret. I've been in that situation with a fiance and kid, my hate for my job radiated on to them and killed our time together. I was genuinely unhappy and it was not the life I wanted to live. However, if you wish to be an entrepreneur and know what you want to do, but need some money to support the family while you get things going, then this is your best option. School is the worse thing you could do if you want to start your own business (I'm sure you've heard this a million times, but I'll explain in the cons of school).

If you want to go to school, refer to what I said above. Make sure you're going for a reason other than money and you have to get this degree in order to be in that field (engineer as an example again). A lot of fields you don't need a degree. If you wish to start your own business, all those business degrees, marketing degrees, in my opinion can easily be learned at home without needing a formal education. It's a waste of time and money.

Supa

Came for the $. Stayed for the Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
I have essentially two options and am looking for advice.

You not only have 2 options, you only see two options because you allow yourself to only see those two.

Your badge says that you read TMF and you're a member on here since 2014. I don't plan on becoming a father anytime soon, but if I would, my biggest goal would be to be able to give this little kid a great future. Of course you need an income to provide for your family, but reading your questions I see someone who is driving towards an exit to the Slowlane, unfortunately. You ask if you should take a job, or if you should go to school (to get a better paying job).

You don't know how many fathers on here probably wish they would have known what they know now, before their children were born. Be happy to have that knowledge at 25 already. You don't want to think back to that moment as the moment where you decided to miss your kid's childhood.

Last edited:

GrayCode

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
399%
Nov 23, 2015
Man, i am 24, and if i found out i was having a kid. Kid comes first! (Congratulations by the way!)

I would recommend getting a solid sales job, base salary and commission.

Then take classes in the nighttime after work. Work 9-5 school 6-8.

You can make it happen! Just for that babies sake.. Don't jump ship on him

Aleksandra88

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
238%
Nov 27, 2015
Poland
First, congratulation!

If I were you I'd find a job, or better - not quit current job untill I have another job. If you quit your job and won't find another one you'll be left with no money at the arrival of your son. Sure, with help of your parents etc you will somehow survive, but please don't be one of those people who do such thoughtless things..
If you want to learn you can do this on your own in the evenings (or like Matthew said in nighttime classes).

Bottom line is - babies cost money, and with baby on the way you are nowhere in a situation to drift and "hope for the best". Work work work and be a responsible father!

John Robert

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Mar 19, 2014
Start surrounding yourself with more hustlers in sales/mktg/programming jobs too.

Obviously if you read TMF , you know what decision you need to make (work or school)...

...but my guess is your super nervous, and turned to the forum bc you dont have a very strong support group of likeminded high income hustlers around you?

Sales jobs are great for that, if you get thrown in with a sales pit of hustlers even better!

Weaponize

Workin on it!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Nov 15, 2014

That should be rewritten as:

Option A: I'm not going to take financial responsibility. Instead, I'll put that burden on someone else while I take hand outs from the government to be force feed a mediocre (at best) "education" because I'm not capable of educating myself.

Are you serious?

F*ck school. Hustle hard.

Last edited by a moderator:

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY

First, please read this: https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...-cant-make-your-life-decisions-for-you.33485/

I don't think coming to an anonymous internet forum and asking this type of question is wise idea. I think you need to think about what you want out of life, and what's in the best interest of your child. The long story short is to think about where you want to be in the short, medium, and long terms, and decide which option best serves that purpose.

This is also a time to build some "couple power" with your girlfriend if you haven't already. Even if you don't intend to marry her, having a child binds the two of you together for life, so anything you can do to improve communications and problem solving is important. Think about the conversation you'd have if in a few years from now, she approaches you with "our son is taking drugs and skipping school". How would you like that conversation to go? This choice before you is an opportunity to work on how that conversation goes.

Last edited by a moderator:

GrayCode

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
399%
Nov 23, 2015
That should be rewritten as:

Option A: I'm not going to take financial responsibility. Instead, I'll put that burden on someone else while I take hand outs from the government to be force feed a mediocre (at best) "education" because I'm not capable of educating myself.

Are you serious?
A little harse but i hope OP gets the point.

Dude i started learning programming for iOS on my own only 4 months ago, and im pretty decent already.
You can teach yourself a skill like that after work. 2 hours a day and in a few months time you will have the hang of it and your baby will have food on his plate and diapers on his butt. Paid for by you!

sWALK90

Slowly figuring it out
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Sep 29, 2015
H ,TX
Coming from someone that is near the same age,i just turned 25, that went the school route...all the way to masters of sci.

I would say don't go to school. But its really up to you. When i graduated I noticed that people with certifications in similar IT fields are making roughly 5k less than me with no degree. Entry level straight out of school i started at 60k while people with certifications were starting at about 45-55. I traded away 4-5 years for only 5k more...it only takes a month or so of hammering your head in a book to know enough info to get a cert.

Find a skill set you want to improve or want to learn and just work on a certification if you want the for sure income and work on a fastlane project while doing so...teaching the cert...writing a book on it...some new kid gadget or something ..idk im just listing ideas ...:tiphat:

edit:i just saw you said community college..grab the books and self teach your self the material and go take the test at the CC

EvanOkanagan

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
380%
Aug 2, 2013
Commissioned Sales Job.

My best advice... don't get some 9-5 job with the ability to get a $1 raise after a year--and getting paid based on the time you work. Use the motivation to provide for your family to better yourself and earn based on performance. The better you grow yourself, the more money you'll get in sales.

I'd often make more than the managers at the sales jobs I used to have. Ultimate job security if you're great at selling, and you'll start having people even try to poach YOU to work for them if you build a good reputation.

hughjasle

AutoPilot
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Dec 25, 2012
Anywhere with internet
What do YOU want really ?

All the other responses are fortune cookie responses.

IF you go to school, what are you going to study?

Doctor? Lawyer? Dentist?

Do it.

Do you instead just want a job learning a trade/skill/etc. so you can later build your own business instead?

Do it.

Just know that whichever course your take, you have own it. You are going to have to work harder than you ever have in your life and it will be a hard struggle. Both methods can pay off if you put in the effort and have a plan that makes sense.

This forum can help you verify to see if your plan makes sense and help guide you along the way, but it cannot tell you which plan to pick.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.