The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Millionaire Secrets Revealed: The ONLY Empirical & Scientific Report on Millionaire Salespeople

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
The study was performed by Russ Alan Prince. As his Forbes profile states (read it here), he writes about the creation and management of exceptional wealth.

The study is called the Elite 1200, and its results were published in the 2006 Q1 and Q2 issues of Financial Adviser Magazine (links below).

Here are some interesting observations:

The first sentence in the February essay states that "Every profession can be viewed as a pyramid, and the advisory business is no different." The pyramid analogy calls to mind the image on the cover of Robert Greene's latest work, Mastery.

Perhaps the most important aspect of this study is that it is empirically-based. On the Internet, nonsense abounds. There are countless websites rife with useless, get-rich-quick claptrap. You could probably spend an entire lifetime reading all of the tripe, and still not make it even half of the way through.

The Elite 1200 study is light in the darkness. As the article states:

Last year we amassed data from those advisors who had earned at least $1 million in income (not production) in each of the past three years. The advisors represented in our data included financial planners, insurance agents, RIAs, bankers and brokers who derived most of their income from a fee or commission on the sale of products, rather than a fee for services. By requiring three years of W-2 income from each of the study participants-and requiring team members to verify individual income levels-we were able to eliminate those advisors who had not achieved a consistent earning pattern. In total, approximately 1,200 advisors fit our definition; we call them the Elite 1200.

Humans are a gullible lot. We often form our most important views and beliefs with embarrassingly little thought. Instead of deeply studying history, assessing the consensus of informed scholars, and analyzing the relevant facts, we come to our worldviews, philosophy, notions of morality, political opinions, and religious beliefs by thoughtlessly swallowing what our parents taught us, or perhaps mindlessly accepting what the culture around us perpetuates. It is no wonder, then, that so many of us get sucked into MLM schemes... or worse.

I found the Elite 1200 study shortly after it was published, and it is as helpful now as it was then. The secret, as expressed in the articles below, is a simple one. The difference between top producing millionaire salespeople in the financial industry is how they leverage centers of influence. A center of influence is, essentially, a non-competing professional or even a company that already serves the clients you want to reach. In his book Rainmaker, Prince goes into great detail about how millionaire salespeople cultivate such relationships.

If you're in sales, and you're serious about getting to the top, you can't ignore this.

All of this reminds me of a private message MJ sent me years ago, I think in 2008. I presume he won't mind me sharing.

Your answer is pretty simple. What need is out there that all these connections can solve? It seems you are chasing $$ instead of chasing a need. You have to identify a specific need (problem, inconvenience, performance gap) and fill it. Just because you have access to the gurus doesn't mean that a need exists. You can't force a need, they are uncovered by engaging into the markets by which you want to serve. Of course, certain roads can pick you instead of you picking them ... when life presents a problem or an unmet need, a new road is opened, even if you aren't involved in that particular space.
BTW, your introduction made months ago made it into the rough draft of my book.

Cheers,
MJ

"All these connections," in the words of MJ, are centers of influence. At the time, I was just busying chasing the connections, without focusing on the need that those connections would fill. All that's changed now. My posts on this site are going to become scarce. I'm not sure if I'll disappear for years, like I did when I first started my brokerage, but things are starting to heat up so fast now that my days (and nights) will soon be entirely consumed with work. Hopefully, the posts I've made here have helped some of you brainstorm about how to perfect your own hustles. Like Vigilante told me in my Bugatti thread, only action matters.

http://www.fa-mag.com/news/article-1374.html

http://www.fa-mag.com/news/article-1331.html

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:
  • Banned

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
@OVOvince

My bad for the uber late response on this.

To answer your question:

Hey man, I read your thread on the centers of influence, and I really appreciate that you made that thread a while back. I am sort of having confusion regarding the PM you shared in the thread. Can you help me out?

When I exchanged PM's with MJ years ago, we discussed how to leverage the connections I made through aggressive networking. I had an impressive rolodex, and I didn't know how to monetize it. Hence MJ's response.

My response was to disappear from the forum, learned how to uncover needs that yielded six, seven and even eight figure paydays from one client.

OVOvince

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 18, 2014
@OVOvince

My bad for the uber late response on this.

To answer your question:

When I exchanged PM's with MJ years ago, we discussed how to leverage the connections I made through aggressive networking. I had an impressive rolodex, and I didn't know how to monetize it. Hence MJ's response.

My response was to disappear from the forum, learned how to uncover needs that yielded six, seven and even eight figure paydays from one client.

hey man i really appreciate you getting back to me even though it was late. i didn't re-read this recently, but now that it was bumped, i went up to the part i was confused about, and i completely understand it now. what MJ is saying about finding a need is right. what you say about leveraging the connections is interesting to me.

i have some questions on this. one thing ive learned along the way is that a good way to network is to become a link, or a connector. for example, being the person that can connect two people that need each other (business wise). this way your network grows quick and you have a leverage based on principles of influence (if you help people they will be more eager to take your requests and whatnot). what is your opinion on this?

and what is some advice you can give me for being a better networker?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.