The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Sometimes, you just gotta follow your heart

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
So here's kind of a funny story:

Earlier this year my friend and was telling me about a meme that was in the form of a gif, and she was saying she'll have to send me the link so that I can see it. Then I told her, "wouldn't it be cool if there was a type of keyboard app where you could send gifs to people from any other app?"

So I told her I was going to ponder this idea and possibly make this app. Me being my technical self, I thought about all the ways I could program something like this, and the more I analyzed it, the more I thought it would be too much hassle, and I sort of lost interest in the idea because I didn't see any money in it. Basically, I didn't do it.

So about two or three months later, I saw on Allen Wong's Facebook page (for those of you who don't know, he's famous for his rags-to-riches story where he made millions off developing apps) and he was just like, "yeah I just working on this app where you can send gifs to people. Thought it would be a cool idea. It's almost done."

I was like, "damn! That's just like the app I thought of!"

I guess the idea had potential after all!

Anyways I don't see this as a missed opportunity at all, I think this is the cosmos way of telling me that sometimes I analyze too much when I should just try something out for the hell of it.

Luckily there's way more cool shit to build in this world ;)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Another thing I want to add is that back then, I was always trying to find the "perfect idea." You know, that one idea that you're gonna have, you're gonna turn it into something, and you're make millions off it.

Now, my train of thought is more of, "I wanna make this because it's really cool and people will love it," rather than, "will this make me all the money I want?" Of course, I still have the visions of owning the super-cars, a few nice properties, and investment portfolio worth millions etc. etc. But mostly right now, I think of building cool stuff. I find I'm more focused on taking action than potential rewards.

Tim0thy_D

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Nov 5, 2015
http://www.howtobeast.com/analysis-...p-overthinking-things-and-become-spontaneous/

Overthinking can be quite a terrible thing. I have recently faced it through my recent ideas but as they say the gut is the strongest muscle so your first impressions and thoughts are usually the ones to go by.

The above is a great article to read concerning this and is definitely worth the time.

There will always be a million reasons you will think not to do something but nothing is beats just going out and doing something.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
Totally agree with you on changing the mindframe from thinking about how much money you can make to how much value you can create and how much help you can give. It feels a little unnatural at first but it makes so much sense. Seems like it would also help in not being tempted to cheat or shortcut the process.

Last edited:

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
So here's kind of a funny story:

Earlier this year my friend and was telling me about a meme that was in the form of a gif, and she was saying she'll have to send me the link so that I can see it. Then I told her, "wouldn't it be cool if there was a type of keyboard app where you could send gifs to people from any other app?"

So I told her I was going to ponder this idea and possibly make this app. Me being my technical self, I thought about all the ways I could program something like this, and the more I analyzed it, the more I thought it would be too much hassle, and I sort of lost interest in the idea because I didn't see any money in it. Basically, I didn't do it.

So about two or three months later, I saw on Allen Wong's Facebook page (for those of you who don't know, he's famous for his rags-to-riches story where he made millions off developing apps) and he was just like, "yeah I just working on this app where you can send gifs to people. Thought it would be a cool idea. It's almost done."

I was like, "damn! That's just like the app I thought of!"

I guess the idea had potential after all!

Anyways I don't see this as a missed opportunity at all, I think this is the cosmos way of telling me that sometimes I analyze too much when I should just try something out for the hell of it.

Thought of some of your recent posts as I listened to this today.

Just found it. Very powerful.

Blue1214

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
368%
Jun 26, 2014

Your mindset is still wrong unfortunately. and there is another lesson you should learn.

You're still thinking that you have to be the first to come up with an idea for it to be worth pursuing.

This guy creating your idea only makes it easier for your finished product to be more polished.

Now you can see how he executes, his marketing strategy, how the app works.

You can see the negative reviews he will receive, you can analyze and find ways you could deliver a better experience, etc.

Your ability to innovate, market, and provide a great experience to people is more important that being the first to come up with an idea.

Guess what, if you are the first, you are still going to get squashed if you cannot handle the amount of competition that will be on your a$$ after you release this "great idea".

Facebook was made great because they took what was good about competitors and removed what sucked. They niched down, They had a better growth strategy, the interface was less cluttered and more simple and user friendly, and the list goes on and on.

What if the creator said "dam it, a social network already exists, someone got there before me, oh well there is a new chance for an idea tomorrow "

Your "chance" is still not gone, OP. That's the lesson you should see from this. Don't go on waiting for some other big idea. Or I promise you will end up getting nothing done in the end.

I bet after his app is released and proven to be a viable business, another competitor will come out which yet again could have been you, but you were too busy looking for another "unique" idea which has no competitors.

It's not about following your heart, but having the right mentality in the first place.

Last edited:

Leo Hendrix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Apr 15, 2014
I remember somewhere in TMF MJ talked about you having an idea but someone else executed on it and you say BUT I had that idea.

Actions are all that we can see in the physical world, sometimes there wont be a revenue model or any validation until you actually do something and put it out into the world.

John Robert

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Mar 19, 2014
Dont get caught up on ideas. Ideas are literally useless. All that matters is action.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Your mindset is still wrong unfortunately. and there is another lesson you should learn.

You're still thinking that you have to be the first to come up with an idea for it to be worth pursuing.

This guy creating your idea only makes it easier for your finished product to be more polished.

Now you can see how he executes, his marketing strategy, how the app works.

You can see the negative reviews he will receive, you can analyze and find ways you could deliver a better experience, etc.

Your ability to innovate, market, and provide a great experience to people is more important that being the first to come up with an idea.

Guess what, if you are the first, you are still going to get squashed if you cannot handle the amount of competition that will be on your a$$ after you release this "great idea".

Facebook was made great because they took what was good about competitors and removed what sucked. They niched down, They had a better growth strategy, the interface was less cluttered and more simple and user friendly, and the list goes on and on.

What if the creator said "dam it, a social network already exists, someone got there before me, oh well there is a new chance for an idea tomorrow "

Your "chance" is still not gone, OP. That's the lesson you should see from this. Don't go on waiting for some other big idea. Or I promise you will end up getting nothing done in the end.

I bet after his app is released and proven to be a viable business, another competitor will come out which yet again could have been you, but you were too busy looking for another "unique" idea which has no competitors.

It's not about following your heart, but having the right mentality in the first place.
I just thought it was funny that while I criticized and analyzed the idea, he actually made that very same thing. I mean what are the chances.

I'm not saying that it isn't worth pursuing, but overall the thrill of making something new is gone. If there's ways I can improve it though, I would totally take on the challenge.

Who knows, maybe I'm even looking at this totally wrong. Maybe it's not a new idea at all, and he just made his own.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
It reminds me of the poet Ruth Stone. She used to work out on the fields when she was younger, and when she thought about a poem she would run all the way back to the house to write it down. I am a poet as well and usually write it away too, before it gets to the next poet. lol Usually i do go with my gut, and not my mind lately. I tend to overthink as well. Although, now I just go with the flow and act on it, instead of thinking to much.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Usually i do go with my gut, and not my mind lately. I tend to overthink as well. Although, now I just go with the flow and act on it, instead of thinking to much.
You know it's funny, I've realized lately that whenever I try to make something happen, I just end up getting frustrated and disappointed. But when I'm patient and go with the flow of life, things tend to work out for the best.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
You know it's funny, I've realized lately that whenever I try to make something happen, I just end up getting frustrated and disappointed. But when I'm patient and go with the flow of life, things tend to work out for the best.
Emotions, thoughts, anxiety, fear and feelings. You can either try to resist, force your way, or go with the flow. You have to learn to move with emotions, thoughts, and feelings as they come and go. Balance yourself. Know when to move, and know when to refrain, and when to remain still. None of us are exempt from learning this skill to turn off the world and follow our heart and beat to your own drum. Trust yourself, self-talk yourself through the fears, and believe in yourself.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.