The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Did I undersell myself?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Olavi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
May 31, 2015
Windhoek, Namibia
Hey guys

I need a some advice, I entered into an agreement with an upcoming and increasingly growing magazine. I

I have an advertising company, but i found it really hard to get clients, so thats why i ended up talking to the magazine.

the agreement is basically, since am always in the flied and cold calling instead of approaching them and pitching them with my company service, i will get them to advertise in the magazine BUT instead of the magazine giving me a cut from ads, they will allow me to advertise in their magazine for free, basically.

Did i undersell myself there?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
Hey guys

I need a some advice, I entered into an agreement with an upcoming and increasingly growing magazine. I

I have an advertising company, but i found it really hard to get clients, so thats why i ended up talking to the magazine.

the agreement is basically, since am always in the flied and cold calling instead of approaching them and pitching them with my company service, i will get them to advertise in the magazine BUT instead of the magazine giving me a cut from ads, they will allow me to advertise in their magazine for free, basically.

Let me guess.

They provided you with the agreement, yes?

The side that prepares the agreement usually prepares it in a lopsided fashion, especially when dealing with an obvious neophyte, such as yourself (no offense).

Get an attorney. Have him review the document. I don't use attorneys for mundane agreements anymore, and that's because I've signed so many and read so many that I know what I need, I know what my attorney would tell me to do or say.

Today, I use my attorney when I have no idea what the hell is going on legally, particularly in the case of agreements.

My attorney is Tom Patterson of Patterson Law.

Tom specializes in corporate litigation.

A BO$$ needs a BO$$ attorney. Period. If you're tryin' to maneuver in the corporate jungle unprotected, at least have the decency to bring a camera and film your self-requested maiming.

What I mean is: Dude, you're signing an agreement. Doesn't it make sense to have an attorney read it?

Olavi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
May 31, 2015
Windhoek, Namibia
I cant afford an attorney yet, and the paper work isnt signed yet but we did start doing the work, been working for/with them for about a week and half now.

oimate

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Jul 8, 2015
Well then, as no agreement has been agreed and its only been 10 days that you've been dealing with them you arent under obligation to continue.
You are obviously a little unnerved about something relating to this 'deal' so tell them before anything is agreed you need a legal view (even if you cant afford it-tell them that) and you need to make sure the specifics are equal and not lop-sided.

Think on the positive side thou-you're being proactive and taking action which is half the battle.

Summary-just clarify all details and if a contract is to be drawn up-tell them what you want and what you want to see in any sort of agreement and if they stick their heels in so be it-F*ck them.

Olavi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
May 31, 2015
Windhoek, Namibia
Well then, as no agreement has been agreed and its only been 10 days that you've been dealing with them you arent under obligation to continue.
You are obviously a little unnerved about something relating to this 'deal' so tell them before anything is agreed you need a legal view (even if you cant afford it-tell them that) and you need to make sure the specifics are equal and not lop-sided.

Think on the positive side thou-you're being proactive and taking action which is half the battle.

Summary-just clarify all details and if a contract is to be drawn up-tell them what you want and what you want to see in any sort of agreement and if they stick their heels in so be it-F*ck them.

Thanks for the insight. from a proffesional point of view, is a deal like that worth it?

oimate

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Jul 8, 2015
Thanks for the insight. from a proffesional point of view, is a deal like that worth it?
Only you can answer that. As MJ says in the book-Dont be the hitch-hiker and let other people determine your destiny.

This is your business at the end of the day-If you see worth in the magazine sure, go ahead with it. but if you have doubts and feel like you might end up working for them for free or that they would have some control over what and when you do things-thats something you seriously have to think is it worth it. On the other side if as you say you are struggling to get anywhere on your own-will this magazine genuinely increase your businesses worth? if so continue with caution.

Bottom line-Dont become the hitchiker and maintain control

eekern

BOBA
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 21, 2015
Norway
What is the cost of working with them, how much time or money do you need to invest? Free ads in a their magazine is great, but what do you have to do in return, exactly ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Hey guys

no

Bila

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Dec 2, 2014
Ontario Canada
This is a very commun practice( done it myself numerous times with local media ) so, no you are not underselling your services. However, i would make sure that the magazine reach and distribution is a solid one .

Olavi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
May 31, 2015
Windhoek, Namibia
What is the cost of working with them, how much time or money do you need to invest? Free ads in a their magazine is great, but what do you have to do in return, exactly ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All I have to do is try and get them clients. Since am mostly with one of their agents they provide the transport so I don't spend much really.

Olavi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
May 31, 2015
Windhoek, Namibia
This is a very commun practice( done it myself numerous times with local media ) so, no you are not underselling your services. However, i would make sure that the magazine reach and distribution is a solid one .
Country wide distribution

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Hey guys

While not answering the direct question you asked I would like to give you some advice. Since you are working in advertising you should take particular care in your attention to detail. I am specifically referring to your writing. There are lots of grammatical mistakes in your comments including some very basic typos. I know from experience, because I personally had a lot of trouble with writing and spelling in the past, that improving on this will see you succeed greatly in finding future clients. I think you are rushing things and this also shows in you agreeing to a contract you didn't fully understand. Hope you don't take this the wrong way and see it as an area you can improve on immediately.

Here is a great thread on finding clients and the ideal approach to bring as much value to the table as possible... (just adjust it from online work to your situation)
https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...ith-no-degree-no-feedback-no-portfolio.58837/

'Success in life is founded upon attention to the small things rather than to the large things'

Last edited by a moderator:

Olavi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
May 31, 2015
Windhoek, Namibia
While not answering the direct question you asked I would like to give you some advice. Since you are working in advertising you should take particular care in your attention to detail. I am specifically referring to your writing. There are lots of grammatical mistakes in your comments including some very basic typos. I know from experience, because I personally had a lot of trouble with writing and spelling in the past, that improving on this will see you succeed greatly in finding future clients. I think you are rushing things and this also shows in you agreeing to a contract you didn't fully understand. Hope you don't take this the wrong way and see it as an area you can improve on immediately.

Here is a great thread on finding clients and the ideal approach to bring as much value to the table as possible... (just adjust it from online work to your situation)
https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...ith-no-degree-no-feedback-no-portfolio.58837/

'Success in life is founded upon attention to the small things rather than to the large things'

Thank you for advice Fox, and for the referral.

Last edited by a moderator:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.