The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I just quit my cushy CMO job and took the red pill

Anything related to matters of the mind

oldkevx

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
613%
Nov 27, 2013
Kansas City, MO
Yep, you read it right...I just left a "great" corporate job as CMO of a global company that many work their whole careers for. I quit the day after we raised $25-$30M from a private equity group and I would have been in an equity position with a high growth company.

Crazy?

Let me share my "whys" and I think you'll see how mindset can push you to do things you may never have imagined possible:

Why #1: Had I gotten sick or in an accident and found myself on my deathbed, not jumping into my own business would have be my one and only regret.

Success: I have achieved this, no regrets now.

Why #2: I have a two small children. When they come to me and tell me they want to do ________ in life (with_____ being anything they aspire to) I previously would have been a hippocrate.

Success: I have achieved this, I will no longer be a hippocrate as I am pursuing the path less traveled.

Why #3: I want to walk my kids to school everyday.

Success: When they are of school age I will be able to do so with no guilt of not being at my "job".

That's it. Two simple things that have nothing to do with money. All accomplished by simply jumping out of my comfort zone.

To be very clear, this was not a quick decision. It was the result of almost two years of planning financially and mentally for making the leap.

Business is simple and many times we let our heads play games. If you are in a job making money for someone else, what is keeping you from doing it for yourself? If you have to hustle and consult for cashflow while you are building your business, do it. Life is short and there is never a good time.

Jump.

Be well and believe in yourself.

KO

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mass

It's about time
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jun 13, 2015
United Kingdom
Congrats @oldkevx I hope it all goes well. It sounds like you have a plan in place, what fastlane are you going to take (not too many specifics)

oldkevx

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
613%
Nov 27, 2013
Kansas City, MO
Thanks @Mass. We have taken a common service business and flipped it on its head. We have customers begging to do business with us vs. the other guys who chase customers. We eliminated the cash flow problems many of our competitors run into by providing the service via an annual or monthly membership model. Building it with the intent of franchising it. No one has offered the business we have built via a franchise.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Congrats. I don't work Fridays so I can take my kids to school. Funny how something like that can be enough motivation. It's great to see you put that out there.

Majin

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Jun 4, 2015
Congratulations and good luck with everything :)

oldkevx

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
613%
Nov 27, 2013
Kansas City, MO
Quick update: This is the first Thanksgiving where I've looked at every single facet of my life and said: yes, everything is as I dreamt of. The concept of "more" doesn't register. Not to say that goals and achievement aren't important. But...if today were my last day on earth I would die empty with no regrets. Thankful to this community and all of the people who played a role in my constant evolution into becoming a better man.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Damn, never thought of it that way. I like this. Thank you. Best of luck to you!
Back when I was a self-employed IT contractor, I was sat opposite another database administrator.

I asked him why he wasn't contracting. He could double his revenue overnight, be more tax efficient, and start building other revenue streams on the side.

He said he wasn't ready. He would need to be a much better database administrator before he'd be able to command the higher contractor rates.

"Really?" I asked.

"What if we swapped desks and you did all my project work and I did all yours?"

"I just Google or hit the manuals when I don't know something. Same as what you do."

"Do you think you couldn't do my work?"

"Oh. I never thought of it like that."

He was contracting within 6 months and never looked back.

You're paid to solve problems and add value to a business. If you're employed to do it, then that proves you can already solve problems and add value.

Now go get some.

ilrein

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 1, 2012
The flip side of course, is that when you work for someone else, there's no risk to you.

When you work for yourself, the risk is all yours.

That said, risk is commensurated with reward. Best of luck @oldkevx. It's always funny to see the reactions of people when I tell them I have no intentions of getting married or having a family until I succeed entrepreneurially.

"Don't you want to be young enough to relate your kids?"

"Wouldn't my ability to relate to my children be reflected based on how much time I am able to spend with them, rather than some arbitrary bullshit number at which society says I'm no longer hip and cool?"

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.