The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

19..been running gigs since 12..now confused

Shaheelm

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Nov 24, 2015
Hey everyone, I just finished reading the book yesterday. A real eye-opener.

-I ran my first gig when i was 12 where i installed apps for a friend, then i moved to candy, then books, then at 17, body oils. Although all of them put together made no more than $500. But last year i was buying and selling second hand electronics which made 600-1000 a month which is quite big for me(i stopped this too).

-In the last few years i started to read books and learning which changed my mindset completly. (Funny how i was reading Tony Robbins: master the game before reading this. Didnt finish it because i couldnt understand the stock market jargon).

-Finally after reading this book, like a lot of people i decided I'll try to build an app since i did a httml web app building course, i figured i might have some knowledge that will make it easier for me to learn coding.

-But i do not have an idea as of yet. I am CONFUSED on whether i should try to find an idea first or just learn coding until i come across an idea(and read books and learn more). And to add, im not working and i stay with my parents, so that explains how much free time i have. But i might find a job soon.

TL:DR Version: I dont have any ideas yet. Should i learn coding anyway because i have lot of free time or try to find a job and keep learning business knowledge.

Thanks

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Piranha22

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Oct 26, 2015
Koblenz, Germany
TL:DR Version: I dont have any ideas yet. Should i learn coding anyway because i have lot of free time or try to find a job and keep learning business knowledge.

Thanks

Well number one, if you learn how to code, you have the ability to make an app. But if you find a job, you can pay someone with the money you earn to build an app. Difference is, money can do a variety of things. If you are sure you want to try yourself on the app market, then by all means learn coding.

But since you said you have no ideas yet, it might be better to learn about something that can be used on a broader scale. Copywriting is often mentioned here, since you'll need to advertise/sell your product in whatever market you're in.

Again, if you are already sure you want to dive into the app development branch, then it's definitely ok to learn coding. In the end, learning a skill is always useful and better than waiting forever for an idea to strike ;)

Shaheelm

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Nov 24, 2015
"But since you said you have no ideas yet, it might be better to learn about something that can be used on a broader scale. Copywriting is often mentioned here, since you'll need to advertise/sell your product in whatever market you're in.

Again, if you are already sure you want to dive into the app development branch, then it's definitely ok to learn coding. In the end, learning a skill is always useful and better than waiting forever for an idea to strike ;)"

I was just introduced to copywriting today through the forums. I will try to put some time into learning that.
And yes i agree, it is better to learn something before waiting for an idea to strike[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

The Racing Driver

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Apr 20, 2015
UK
How do i unquote the text i want to type?

Edit your post. Remove the square brackets on either side of your text which is quoted.

It's cool to see what you've done up to now. 19 as well. Wanted to build apps , and have learnt a bit of coding which has surely helped. There's a lot more that goes on behind the scenes when it comes to apps, but can be done. I recommend always testing demand, before going full on to build an app.

It's great if you find a job and get yourself inside the market. You will discover problems people are facing all over the place.Things such as inefficient systems in businesses, poor customer service, product quality issues....etc..

Solve them, fill a need, and you can be compensated well. Your solution, needn't always be an app. To be Fastlane, make sure it's NESCT.

This is just my 2 cents. Don't worry mate, I'm still figuring my way about all the time. It never stops :)

Shaheelm

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Nov 24, 2015
Edit your post. Remove the square brackets on either side of your text which is quoted.

It's cool to see what you've done up to now. 19 as well. Wanted to build apps , and have learnt a bit of coding which has surely helped. There's a lot more that goes on behind the scenes when it comes to apps, but can be done. I recommend always testing demand, before going full on to build an app.

It's great if you find a job and get yourself inside the market. You will discover problems people are facing all over the place.Things such as inefficient systems in businesses, poor customer service, product quality issues....etc..

Solve them, fill a need, and you can be compensated well. Your solution, needn't always be an app. To be Fastlane, make sure it's NESCT.

This is just my 2 cents. Don't worry mate, I'm still figuring my way about all the time. It never stops :)

I thought i had done a lot for someone of my age but i read few threads of some similar to our age and they are far ahead.

I never thought about how working in a job would increase my knowledge about market needs.

Exactly, everyday is a tough journey when you set high standards for yourself. You're wondering if every decision you're making is helping you or putting you back

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Learn how to code.

Worst case scenario: You'll leave college with a guaranteed $70k a year job.
Best case scenario: You'll create an app that generates huge amounts of money.

I've never met a person that regretted learning how to code. I have met a ton of individuals that didn't learn, and instead failed at other things. You're young. Learn how to code and extend your entrepreneurial freeway.

Shaheelm

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Nov 24, 2015
Learn how to code.

Worst case scenario: You'll leave college with a guaranteed $70k a year job.
Best case scenario: You'll create an app that generates huge amounts of money.

I've never met a person that regretted learning how to code. I have met a ton of individuals that didn't learn, and instead failed at other things. You're young. Learn how to code and extend your entrepreneurial freeway.

Thanks for the advice. I have decided to keep learning to code starting with java.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
Cool :) it's still kind of part of a process even if you don't have the idea yet! I'm learning tonnes on here with a particular thing in mind, but if it doesn't work out, in the end it's still something I want to know and will probably use again in the future.

My girlfriend is an SAP programmer that build websites on the side and I would like to learn the basic concepts of coding at some point. (Lucky me though :p )

Shaheelm

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Nov 24, 2015
Cool :) it's still kind of part of a process even if you don't have the idea yet! I'm learning tonnes on here with a particular thing in mind, but if it doesn't work out, in the end it's still something I want to know and will probably use again in the future.

My girlfriend is an SAP programmer that build websites on the side and I would like to learn the basic concepts of coding at some point. (Lucky me though [emoji14] )

Yea definitely and i agree it is all part of the process. I guess thats a better way to look at it and specially since i have a bit of time(except my parents might force me into choosing a diploma next year)

You are lucky. It would help enormously to have someone to guide you in learning code. It's so intimidating when you begin.

John Robert

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Mar 19, 2014
Build your skill (programming), work to become amazing at it, also keeping in mind potential applications you could use it for in the industry you want to enter

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.