The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Getting an animation created for $170, including a tip

Marketing, social media, advertising

NoMess

Inventor/Entrepreuner
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Oct 29, 2015
Clermont, FL
Sometimes, words just aren't enough and you need people to be able to "see" something. In my case, that something is extremely hard to video so I decided I'd get an animation created instead. This is how I got an animation created for $170. I think that was a great price!

Step 1: get an animation created. Budget $50, spent $70 after tipping $20 for speedy completion.

Job title: Create illustration like sample provided

Details I used to describe the contract:
I invented a new drain plug and I need an illustration done asap. Attached you will find a rendering of my drain plug plus a sample illustration of what I want for my plug. The sample are the illustrations for the sure drain plug, not mine.

I only need the circles on the bottom done using my plug (renderings at the top) as follow:
1. First circle - (the purchaser needs to choose and install the correct sized adapter) show the adapter getting installed into the plug base.
2. Second circle - (similar to sample first circle) show removal of standard drain plug and installing of my drain plug
3. Third circle - show attaching the drain hose and turning the plug clockwise to turn on
4. Fourth circle - show turning the plug counter-clockwise to the off position and removing the drain hose

I like how the circles look but if you have a better idea for layout, I'm willing to listen.

I have solidworks files and a few other formats if that'll make this job easier for you. (Side NOTE: These files came from the product design phase, I'm just using them for a different purpose)

I would love to have this done tomorrow, Tuesday, July 22nd for me. If you get it done by then, I'll include a bonus.

(Side NOTE: the attached "rough sample" is from my actual product rendering and a defunct competitor's product packing. I though really summed up the use of my product as well. I don't want to reinvent the wheel, I just want it to be better)

Bids: 2 bids, one for $50 fixed price (my budget) and another for $11.00/hr.

Info about bids: The hourly rate bid had a 39% completion rate so she will be avoided like the plague. I don't wait until I get tons of bids to go through before hiring, as I get bids, I research the bidder, look at feedback, completion ratio, etc. and if I like them, I hire them and pause the job. I hired the first person because he had great feedback and great samples of his work.

About the Freelancer: Daniel from Brazil did a wonderful job. 5 star review from me.

STEP 2: Get the animation created

Job title: Create animation for my product, Budget $100, spent $99.99.

Details I used to describe the contract:
I have a product that I want a simulation created for just like the one in this video; http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen...2005_2006_2007_2008_2009_2010_2011_2012_2013/

The simulation I want occurs between 2:08 - 2:32.

I'm attaching renderings of my product but I will need something very similar but with my product instead and 30 seconds or less of simulation.

My product is an oil drain plug and I want to simulate the installation into an oil drain pan, then the draining of oil, which will include attaching a hose to the drain plug nipple, then turning the plug to make the oil flow. Once oil has finished draining, turning the plug off and removing the hose.

I have solidworks files of the plug you can use if this will make it easier.

My budget is $100 which includes the odesk fees. If you bid over $100 payable by me, your bid will be ignored.

Bids: 1 bid, one for $99.99 fixed price (my budget).

Info about bid: The first bid I got met the need so I hired him.

About the Freelancer: Andrew from the Ukraine did a wonderful job. I even hired him again for another project a few months later. 5 star review from me.

The animation: here's a link to the animation in a raw from without any words, any hipe, anything really. Just raw. http://www.nomessdrainplug.com/demo (Side NOTE: the animation came in a swf file format, I ended up just running it through an video converter (free) to create all the different formats that are internet ready like the one you just viewed)

To take this one step further, I can script words and sync those words with the actions and include this animation in a much better video sales letter or demonstration/product pitch (which I did but I'm not sharing now).

I hope you get something out of this.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Attachments

• Rough Sample.png
    Rough Sample.png
    203.8 KB · Views: 18

eekern

BOBA
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 21, 2015
Norway
I can't watch it on phone, still in swf?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NoMess

Inventor/Entrepreuner
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Oct 29, 2015
Clermont, FL
Yes, the demo is still the swf file.

When I converted it, I also added it into the "finished" video sales pitch. The animation I had created for $170 starts at 26 seconds and ends at about 41 seconds. The rest of my video pitch involves 2 more talents: voice over and a whiteboard animator that added the video where I wanted it to.

Here's a link to my video sales pitch with the animation included: https://s3.amazonaws.com/NOMESSDRAIN/No_Mess_Drain_Plug_Demo.mp4

Since I haven't been able to launch my product yet, I can't tell you how effective my pitch/animation is just yet. Maybe next month. :)

HB909

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 10, 2015
How do you guarantee that this drainplug wont turn over from engine vibration from idle and driving?
And, are you using a rubber o-ring as a seal against the oil pan?

NoMess

Inventor/Entrepreuner
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Oct 29, 2015
Clermont, FL
How do you guarantee that this drainplug wont turn over from engine vibration from idle and driving?

There's a spring and ball with a detent to positively lock the plug in the on and in the off positions. When you turn it, you can even hear it "click" when the ball engages the detent. It's impossible to move without 1 of 2 possibilities: you move it with your hand (you have proper torque and leverage so it's pretty easy) or you hit it perfectly sideways (extremely slim chance that will happen). Just in case that extremely slim chance does happen I also include a safety cap that keeps oil from coming out even if it's in the on position. The cap slides on but it snug enough to stop fluid flow.

And, are you using a rubber o-ring as a seal against the oil pan?

I do include an oring for that purpose but I recommend you use whatever the OEM manufacturer tells you to. Some are orings, some are washers and some are combinations. I can't test everything but from all I have been able to test, both OEM and my oring work just fine.

NoMess

Inventor/Entrepreuner
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Oct 29, 2015
Clermont, FL
Oh, I think it may be also worth mentioning: I've tested this on my Harley for over a year without a single accidental turn on/leak. If the Harley can't vibrate it looks, I really doubt anything else out there will. I sold several hundred during a market test, all to Harley owners. Not once have I had a call about a failure and not a single complaint.

So far, all the calls I've ever received were to ask me how to install it because I originally didn't include install instructions. That's now addressed.

If you're not a Harley owner: Harley's vibrate like crazy and will shake the livin' dog doodoo out of you sitting at a stop.

I'm off topic: do you have any questions about the animation?

HB909

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 10, 2015
I was just reading your thread and watching the animation you posted lastly and that was the points that came to my head as a concern coming from around 10 years in the car industry. But it seems like you have it covered and tested well with your Harley.
So no, I dont have a direct question about the animation, I just felt that it was missing some information, hence my questions.
Congratulation on the sales btw.

NoMess

Inventor/Entrepreuner
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Oct 29, 2015
Clermont, FL
Ah, got it. Yeah, this whole product creation/introduction to the market is new to me. I did 3 different market tests with product that cost me a lot. Lately, I've been heads-down working on finding a factory and getting my costs down and quality up. I think I've got that now but won't know for sure until next week.

With the 3 tests, I was able to validate my product is something people will pay for and even the cost the market will pay are correct.

With 10 years experience, do you have any advice on how to get my product into the market? I'm open to any advice you're willing to throw my way.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.