The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

35 and Sick of Feeling Self-Defeated...

Late Start

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Nov 23, 2015
Uniontown, KS
Warning: This is lengthy, but not boring. Scout's honor.

I'm not sure how to start this thread, so I'll just jump in - I'm 35 (36 in February), I've got an awesome wife and three amazing young daughters (ages 8, 3, and 1) that are the light of my world, and I feel like my life is going nowhere in terms of my career or my ability to provide them the life and the future I want to provide them. It's the paradox of having the family life you always wanted, but the professional life not achieving 1/10000th of its potential.

In The Beginning (The Slowlane Begins)

On the outside, I don't have it so bad - from the age of 14, when I first laid eyes on my friend Ty's new Acer Aspire (486DX CPU and 33Mhz baby!), I knew what I wanted to do for a living - work in the world of computers and tech. Ever since I graduated vo-tech school when I was 20, that's what I've been doing, and I do it well. We live in Southeast Kansas, where I make just over $41,000 (which for the area and my knowledge level is pretty darn good), and with my wife recently jumping over from Missouri to Kansas to teach, we're netting about just over $80,000 before taxes. It's slow lane to a tee, but it pays the bills.

The problem is, while I've had multiple employers over the last ten years, my job has been literally the exact same - I'm the help desk bitch. I've a very competent, well liked, and skilled help desk bitch, but a bitch nonetheless. A big part of this is me - I've failed to do much to increase my intrinsic value in the last decade. The first five years was due to comfort - I felt like I was still getting new challenges, I enjoyed what I did, and was overall very content. When I hit 30, that changed. I became bored at my job as sole the IT guy at a very good manufacturer, as it wasn't offering anything new or challenging anymore - I was just collecting a check. It was out of that malaise that I made the biggest mistake I have ever made in my life.

Hasty Choices and Bad Bacon (Kicked to the Sidewalk)

In the fall of 2010, I started actively looking for a new job with new challenges. I started way too late - I should have started searching about six months earlier, before I had completely burned out of my current job. As such, I was ripe to pick the first thing that sounded good that came my way. I interviewed with a bank in Neosho, MO, and the interview went AWESOME. They answered all of my questions the right way, including the critical one: How much turnover do you guys have? The IT Manager and his Network Admin both stated that they had both been with the Bank between seven and ten years, and that turnover wasn't an issue there. What they failed to mention was that I would be the third person to have the position I was interviewing for in less than three years, and that my two predecessors had not left voluntarily. Had they told me this, I would have seen the red flag and jumped, but they didn't, I didn't prod (I was just happy to be having a good interview), and 24 hours later they offered me the job on a silver platter. Just under three months later, I was unemployed for the first time in my life, and devastated.

That should have been the time I totally re-evaluated my life and its direction, but I didn't. I felt like a failure not having a check to provide for my wife and then four year old daughter, so I hit the ground running trying to find a new job, thankful for the unemployment assistance I got from the state, and the assistance my father was giving me (more on him later)... I scored a good job as the sole on-site IT guy for a bacon manufacturer in Frontenac, where we were living at the time. It was a temp to hire - my first 90 days would be working for Manpower at a reduced hourly wage, and after that I would be on full time at $39,000 a year (a pay raise and no commute - w00t!). Unfortunately on my third day, after a very strange conversation with a fellow employee who made it clear *he* wanted to be the IT guy, I had a complete psychological breakdown/panic attack, convinced I was going to be fired all over again, and quit in tears. The bank had done way more damage than I had thought possible.

Rebuilt Only To Be Re-Broken (Beware Evil Androids)

I have a good therapist who I had known since I was 13 (a long story for another day), and worked through a lot of the pent up issues the bank incident had caused. I couldn't get unemployment anymore, but thanks to my wife's small income, and (again) help from my dad, we made it through. I got a part time job doing PC Repair for the Geek Squad at the Joplin Best Buy, which wasn't well paying, but was far from terrible, and started to rebuild my confidence. A couple of months after that, I got a full time job with a great manufacturer founded by a fastlaner, and one of the most good and decent men I have ever met. I had to take a pay cut from where I had been before the bank incident, but life was getting back to normal, and I had a great boss. And then, four months in, he left for San Antonio to marry the girl he had been long distance dating for the year prior. I was overlooked to take his IT Manager position (I was well liked, but again - depth of knowledge and lack of intrinsic value kicked my butt), and in his place they hired a man who was very hard working and technically proficient, but had zero communication skills, zero people skills, was a complete control freak, and well...an a**hole. In terms of both his appearance and demeanor, the closest equivalent I can think of is Lore, the evil version of Data from Star Trek: The Next Generation.

Every responsibility I had was taken from me, since he could trust no one to do even the most basic work but himself. I got so hard up for something to do other than surf the web, I started hitting up other department managers for any non-IT related work they could pass my way. The only emotion he showed on occasion was anger, usually that I had not picked up on something he wanted me to do that he had never actually communicated to me in person or over e-mail. Almost exactly a year into my time there, on the day before Thanksgiving of 2012, the managers all grilled up sirloin steaks and all of the fixings for the employees at our month company lunch/meeting. It was a great meal, made even greater by the VERY generous Christmas bonuses handed out afterwards, and I returned to my desk full and feeling good. Immediately my boss asked me to shut the door. Uh-oh...what was coming now? He asked me to sit in front of his desk. "What can you do that someone I could hire for minimum wage couldn't!?" he asked, loudly. I was blindsided. All I could do was stutter. He then went on to rip me for taking too long with some cabling I had to run that morning (which I had politely asked him for assistance with specifically for the purpose of expediting its completion), and just tore me to shreds. I was dumbfounded. I drove home, a 32 year old man, bawling. The next day was the family Thanksgiving, which I had invited the whole family to, as we were now living in Uniontown, I small town not far from where I grew up that I love (more on that later as well), and much of my family lived in the same area. I spent the entire day in my bedroom in bed, convinced there was something fundamentally broken with me, and that I had been incredibly selfish to marry my wife and have a child with her when I was a useless failure that couldn't support them. My dad encouraged me to go to the HR Manager the next Monday, so I made arrangements to do so.

Back To School, Then Back To The Helpdesk

That following Monday morning, I met with the HR Manager before work - I told him the whole story, and how it was an escalating pattern that I was no longer able to deal with, and that while I as hesitant to use the word, the post-Thanksgiving lunch incident couldn't be described as anything but bullying (even my father, a pretty world hardened, middle aged man, had used that term). The HR Manager told me he disagreed, and that he didn't feel that was bullying. He then called in my manager, who blatantly lied about the entire incident ("Well, that's not *exactly* what I said", etc). The HR Manager was *still* taking his side. So I walked out.

I had been pondering going back to school and getting an actual degree ever since the bank incident, but the desire to support my family couple with the selfish desire to continue to support my Blu-Ray and video game habit led me to stay the course. Now I had no excuse. In January I started classes at a nearby community college, where I had already taken some online courses while at the job I had left the bank for.
If I piled on the hours, I could graduate with an Associate's In Network Administration in a year and a half, and I was game. I had feared college (well, namely college algebra) for a long, long time, and it was time to face my fears, achieve something I had always wanted to achieve but never thought I could, and *hopefully* increase my intrinsic value.

Well, two out of three ain't bad. I worked hard, got the degree (and aced my feared nemesis College Algebra), but the intrinsic value thing? Yeah, not so much. While the head of the IT/CIS Department was a passionate and gifted programmer, he knew less about Network Administration than me, and I only knew the bare basics. Network Admin II and III were free sessions where we did whatever we wanted - he couldn't teach what he didn't know. I self-studied MCSA material, while my classmates mostly did homework or surfed the web. In terms of increasing intrinsic value, aside from the value of having the degree on my resume, aside from some basic C++ and VB programming, it didn't do much to enhance my career prospects.

As graduation approached, I interviewed for and was offered three jobs, two of which offered steep pay cuts ($30,000?! I know this is SE Kansas, but REALLY?!), and the third, the one I currently work at, offered $40,000, which was the most I had ever been offered. The downside is that while they value me, and I am good at my job, upward mobility is pretty nill (I've been promoted to oversee/manage the Help Desk, but that's about as far as I am likely to go with my current skillset).

Where I Am Now, And Where I Want To Go

So, here I am, basically at the same place that I started 10 years ago, though making about $6000 a year more, and I now have a family of five. I work for great people and a great company, but I'm going nowhere, and driving 50 miles each way. I am starting online classes at Western Governor's University on January 1st to get my Bachelor's in Network Administration. Part of the curriculum will give me literally all of the Microsoft Certifications I want to achieve, and some others that would just be handy to know and have. After listening to the audiobook of the TMF , I know intrinsic value is the wrong approach to wealth, but I really want to do this, plus it will deeply widen the type of clients I can take in should I start my own business again - I ran a repair shop in my hometown for three years, but left in 2005 due to lack of income. I just didn't have the drive, maturity, or skills at the time to make it work.

I've had this feeling in the back of my head, particularly as I've met more and more fastlaners in my life (you'd be surprised how many there are around you, even in a place like southeast Kansas), that I had the potential and ability to do great things. I passed it off as wishful thinking until I listened to this book. Now I want to act. Given the family of five, ditching the 9 to 5 right off the bat isn't going to cut it, but I can start working towards that. That said, I want the fast lane, and for two primary reasons.

1) Philanthropy

If I had a blank check from God, what would I do? I'd be a philanthropist. I spent ages 25-29 on the City Commission of my hometown, and I realized something serving both in it and at my local church - money can't buy happiness, but it can solve problems. There are a lot of great people and groups trying to do great things, and what can kill there efforts is rarely lack of effort or passion, but simple lack of funding. For instance, in nearby Pittsburg, KS, the SEK-CAP shelter had to close its doors due to state budget cuts last year. This was not just a port in a storm homeless shelter, but a place where people (particularly families with kids) could go to get a roof over their head and some food in their stomach while they worked through programs that got them back on their feet into self-sufficient, productive members of society. I could go on and on with things that have popped into my head over the last few years like this, but I won't bore you more than I already have.

2) My Dad

My dad turned 60 this year, and has worked his a$$ off for literally my entire existence. He makes great pay, but has miserable hours and lots of travel (through Western Kansas no less - YUCK). I think he's also buried in parasitic debt. Not for stuff for himself, but his kids (me included) and, if I'm being honest, my mom. My dad is the type who will never retire - if he could quit his job, he'd just do construction for fun (he's the son of a contractor - his idea of a fun weekend is re-siding the house- no joke). I'd like for him to have the freedom to do whatever he wants by the time he turns 66. I would say 65, but he and I are both gonna have a birthday in February, and being wealthy enough to do this in five years seems outlandish enough, much less four. That said, I believe I have the ability within me to do it, and, for the first time, the maturity and wisdom.

The Tools At My Disposal

1) I'm pretty good with technology. I'm an IT guy by trade, so I better be, right? The one caveat to this is programming. Aside from the VB and C++ classes I took at the aforementioned community college. I've got no knowledge of web development or coding, which I get the feeling I will need to make the fastlane.

2) I've been told I'm a good writer. By the time you've gotten to this point in my post, you might not agree.

3) I can do this - it won't be overnight, but I won't be in my dad's shoes when I am his age, either. I'm tired of the 5 for 2 trade when my family is the one that takes the brunt of it.

I Need Input

1) What are some goals or projects those of you who have succeeded or are in the process of succeeding think I should take on?

2) My current job isn't exactly fulfilling, but it treats me well and pays me better than most around here. The downside is the commute. Would it be worth taking a pay cut and a quality of employer cut to find a job that doesn't require two hours a day in a car? A day job is going to be my reality for a while due to the responsibilities I have, but should I sacrifice my current one for one that frees those two hours back up? Currently my commute is Podcast/Audiobook University.

3) What resources should I utlilize? I listened to Pat Flynn's three Passive Income For Beginners podcasts and they were great. He recommends Internet Business Mastery Academy, which I have been perusing. I've got The Four Hour Work week queued up on Audible, but have not yet started.

Any pointers, tips, or advice would be helpful. If you somehow made is this far, thanks!

Nick

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

LibertyForMe

Habits pave the path to success.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Feb 5, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
Here are some of my opinions, in no particular order. I am not a successful entrepreneur yet, but I don't think that means that my advice is useless.

First, without discipline you can't do anything. I have learned this the hard way. You are going to reach a very crappy paradox, where you are working on your business in order to get the freedom to spend more time with your family, but to do that you are going to have to sacrifice your time with the family. They are going to want to watch a movie, and you are going to need to say no. You need to come up with a schedule, and stick to it at all costs. The schedule needs to give you time to work on your own things.

Second, it is my opinion that you need to get some real skills first. If anything, it will make you feel better about yourself, and make you more valuable to your employer. Another thing is that you need to acquire these skills through PRACTICE, not research. Choose skills that can later be transitioned into fastlane pursuits; marketing, sales, copywriting, creating landing pages, etc. Learn some sort of skill that you can use as a freelancer, so you can make a little side money to fund your business ventures.

Third, just pick something and start on it. Don't get analysis paralysis. Don't stop. Yes, things that look better will pop up, but you need to focus and keep working on your one thing. I recommend doing something that gets market validation relatively quickly: I have tried to launch things that took months of build up and it is very difficult to keep going when you haven't received any feedback from paying customer or people wanting what you have.

Those are just some thoughts, mostly from things that I have learned by screwing things up and failing. Hope they help you. Good luck.

G

GuestUser450

Welcome Nick! Fascinating story. Keep those other programs in queue and dive deep into this forum. No theory just real practice and incredibly giving people sharing their journeys. It's a rabbit hole but worth it.

ilrein

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 1, 2012
Hey Nick,

Love the introduction. You'll get along perfectly on this forum.

1) What are some goals or projects those of you who have succeeded or are in the process of succeeding think I should take on?

What works for one person, isn't totally applicable to another. We have SO much variance in our circumstance. I'm young, single, with no dependants. I self-taught programming and now make a comparable income to what most slowlaners make. I personally strongly recommend coding, but I usually do so in the context of "if you're young with no marketable job skills, here's something that's rewarding, pays great, and has huge leverage for entrepreneurship -- it just takes a fckin lifetime of commitment to the craft -- no big deal".

My current strategy ->

1) Get amazing coding job (check)
2) Get amazing coding job that is 100% remote with flexible schedule (work in progress)
3) Travel, code, pursue fastlane when I can go wherever I want, see whatever I want, and work on my craft whenever I want

2) My current job isn't exactly fulfilling, but it treats me well and pays me better than most around here. The downside is the commute. Would it be worth taking a pay cut and a quality of employer cut to find a job that doesn't require two hours a day in a car? A day job is going to be my reality for a while due to the responsibilities I have, but should I sacrifice my current one for one that frees those two hours back up? Currently my commute is Podcast/Audiobook University.

I have a similar problem, in that the commute is annoying but the job is great (and run by legit fastlaners). That's why I've spotted an even better company, which offers a position that is totally remote with flexible scheduling. Problem is that you're limited by your geographical proximity. I'm Canadian but I'll be applying to this company which is based in San Francisco.

3) What resources should I utlilize? I listened to Pat Flynn's three Passive Income For Beginners podcasts and they were great. He recommends Internet Business Mastery Academy, which I have been perusing. I've got The Four Hour Work week queued up on Audible, but have not yet started.

We have thousands of great resources here, but there's not enough time in the day to digest it all. It's better to take small bites of pragmatic suggestions, apply, and come back with experienced based knowledge. I personally don't LOVE the idea of you becoming a coder. It's a lifelong commitment to excellence. Check out this superb thread. Here's one of our very own kicking a$$ in the most boring-F*cking-business you can imagine: carpet cleaning. But gosh darnit, after reading that, I almost quit everything and jumped on the cleaning-bandwagon. It's a great reminder that you don't NEED to spend HOURS learning programming, when there are THOUSANDS of needs being addressed with mediocrity. You can easily excel in a boring business, and have it be the cashcow you want it to be. Remember, MJ says following your passion is a cliche mistake. Follow what the markets need.

Last edited by a moderator:

hellolin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 27, 2015
IT security is one of the areas that is not just having a shortage of talents, it is in absolute SCARCITY. I suggest you look into it, there are plenty of books on security certs and the thing is the whole field of security is actually business concerned, so while you are learning it you will see the various pain points of business and IT in the aspect of security. I am reading the CISSP book right now, it is an extremely long read, but i feel like it's worth the effort because I feel like I am reading a general business knowledge book and it is giving me a very wide view of how IT and business and security are inter-related. Remember a thousand people's problems is a thousand opportunities.

Late Start

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Nov 23, 2015
Uniontown, KS
So I thought I would post an update, as something potentially significant has happened.

For a while now I've had an idea of something I wanted to buy my eight year old daughter for Christmas that would go a LONG way to decluttering our house, and in particular my desk at home. As such, Thursday morning I fire up Amazon and see what such an item costs. To my amazement, it's hard to find, and the offerings aren't particularly plentiful or promising. This is something that I *should* be able to just go out to Wal-Mart (or at least Target or Penney's) and buy if somebody was on the ball, but I can't, and now I discover it's not particularly easy to acquire on Amazon either.

I realize I have stumbled upon something with a producer mindset without even meaning to, but there is a problem - I have no idea how to even begin taking an idea from brain to paper to manufacturing to distribution to sale, or even how to find out if such a thing is viable. I always figured any potential fastlane onramp I found would be technology based - I mean, I've been an IT guy for 15 years, *but* never a coder, which worried me. I quickly get very defeated feeling. It looks like I'll have to spend a lot of time I currently don't have seeing if this idea is even viable, without any resources to utilize outside of blind Google and forum searches.

Then it hits me - my last four employers, including my current one, have all been manufacturing companies set up by Fastlaners to fill a need, and all but one of them were operations that started out of either a garage or a small office. On top of that, one of the partners at a former employer co-owns another company that built a small empire manufacturing and selling something that is directed at the exact same customer demographic my idea would be marketed to! This guy does what he does for fun - he technically retired in his 30s. I haven't talked to these guys for a couple of years, some closer to three, but I've found my in, and it was right under my nose. Phone calls will be commencing this week. I may be crazy, and this may go nowhere, but I'm a firm believer that there are no coincidences, and that God generally puts us in the path of people and places that help us get where He intends for us to get. Hopefully they're willing to talk shop with a guy who was their IT Guy for all of one year back in 2012.

I'll post an update at the end of the week to let you know how things went.

Last edited:

sWALK90

Slowly figuring it out
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Sep 29, 2015
H ,TX
Hey fellow IT people!..

Im not on the help desk but i know how you could feel. Everyone seems just tired of being that front line punching bag. I'm Tier 3 on certain things but i do work with the desk at times.

I also work as a ARA at Geek squad part time ...kinda just keeps me up to date with stuff,i really just go for fun..

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I did not read all of your story but skimmed enough.

I don't really see the woe that you feel. The saying "first world problems" really seems to come into play.

There are always opportunities for those that move that direction. You seem to be doing just fine.

If fastlane is what you want, it is time for you to quit looking to blame other people or circumstances for your position. Live life for the love of it and move toward your new way of thinking with gusto.

Imgal

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Aug 9, 2015
I got to the bottom of the thread and discovered @SteveO has said all I was going to say. Wise man ;)

Honestly reading your story it focuses a lot on what has happened and how that has affected you. The truth is to move forward in a different way from all the times before you need to do things differently... and that's by not looking back. Look forward. Stop focusing on what might have tripped you up and look to what can make you fly in your heart and mind going forward.

Late Start

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Nov 23, 2015
Uniontown, KS
Honestly, the negative experiences have all been refining in a positive way in one way or another, and my intent was not really a "woe is me" story, though I can see how it might have come out that way for those willing to brave the small novel worth of a post. :) If anything, I consider it a cautionary tale of what can happen when you stop trying to challenge yourself, or expect to just be handed opportunity without earning it (ie the bank job).

What drives me, and has for the last few years, is a feeling of unrealized potential, potential to do something way beyond just being an IT guy for another 30 years, and to leave a mark on the world that would be felt outside just my immediate family - hopefully impacting *multiple* families for the better.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I can relate to a lot of your story. The one thing I'd suggest to you is that *you* are the one that has to answer the question 'ok what next,' not us. Its a dangerous thing to rely on other people to tell you what you should be doing with your life. Its dangerous because once you get into a fastlane business (or even a time-for-money freelancing business), you have to be able to intuitively make decisions. And, for that, you need to be able to trust yourself. Sure, you can come here for feedback, but that only works well if you're the one making most of the decisions.

You have a lot of skills and abilities that you probably aren't even aware of. Take me as an example. Because I've worked in corporate america and seen how things work (how invoices are processed, etc.) I can talk to my custom software clients intelligently about how their process might be improved. Because I know technology and most business owners don't, I look like the expert, even though I have to google the answers to more things than I care to admit. (That's how programming works, right? Google the error, copy the code, modify it for your situation).

All those skills you have can add up to an interesting business. Being well-liked IS a skill that you shouldn't take lightly. You probably don't have all the skills you would need to create a full business, but its amazing what you can hire for $10/hr in other parts of the world...check out Upwork.com. People on there can fill in for what you're missing. I've done that recently with a kick-a$$ sales guy from Pakistan (of all places).

Last edited:

Late Start

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Nov 23, 2015
Uniontown, KS
Honestly, just the past two weeks have been really encouraging. Ideas have been forming, and I've come to realize just how many Fastlaners I know from either working for them or even being related to them. I just never picked up on the fact of what exactly they were until MJ's book gave them a name. I have lots of brains to start picking over the next few weeks and months, and literally all of them are producers of products, be it for industry or home. That's helped one of my biggest fears, which was "Holy crap, better make up for 16 years of being in IT with next to no programming experience in a heartbeat if you want to pull this off!".

hellolin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 27, 2015
I can relate to a lot of your story. The one thing I'd suggest to you is that *you* are the one that has to answer the question 'ok what next,' not us. Its a dangerous thing to rely on other people to tell you what you should be doing with your life. Its dangerous because once you get into a fastlane business (or even a time-for-money freelancing business), you have to be able to intuitively make decisions. And, for that, you need to be able to trust yourself. Sure, you can come here for feedback, but that only works well if you're the one making most of the decisions.

You have a lot of skills and abilities that you probably aren't even aware of. Take me as an example. Because I've worked in corporate america and seen how things work (how invoices are processed, etc.) I can talk to my custom software clients intelligently about how their process might be improved. Because I know technology and most business owners don't, I look like the expert, even though I have to google the answers to more things than I care to admit. (That's how programming works, right? Google the error, copy the code, modify it for your situation).

All those skills you have can add up to an interesting business. Being well-liked IS a skill that you shouldn't take lightly. You probably don't have all the skills you would need to create a full business, but its amazing what you can hire for $10/hr in other parts of the world...check out Upwork.com. People on there can fill in for what you're missing. I've done that recently with a kick-a$$ sales guy from Pakistan (of all places).

So true, this is why CEOs gets paid so much, because they have to make intuitive decisions for hundreds and thousands of others who can't.

John P.

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Nov 27, 2015
London
Hey Nick,

I personally don't LOVE the idea of you becoming a coder. It's a lifelong commitment to excellence.

Hello from a coder :), yeah you'll get your brain fry, but is fun to code after a while (15+ years) is boring and you'll soon realise that everyone is making loads of money with your lines of code, if you get into a job, of course :)

Btw, I just wish you all the best and that you realise all your dream :)

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
Hello from a coder :), yeah you'll get your brain fry,

Yep, you definitely fried your brain with all of that coding. What a boring username. So original...

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
You're right, didn't so you there. I agree that's pretty boring :) Will find another one

haha I'm just joking. It's the best username on this forum. Keep it.

@Late Start -- sorry for derailing your thread. Since I butted in I guess I should get this back on track.

Any pointers, tips, or advice would be helpful. If you somehow made is this far, thanks!

It sounds like you just need to focus better on something. Here's what I would do -- > Come up with really big goals. Goals that you can be so excited about. Figure out what those goals are. Write them down twice per day. Morning and night for the next 3 years. Then come back and post again

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
So true, this is why CEOs gets paid so much, because they have to make intuitive decisions for hundreds and thousands of others who can't.

I remember when celebrities and CEOs once represented the apogee of income earnings in this country.

A hedge fund manager would kill himself - by crashing a private jet into a yacht (most likely) - if he woke up with a CEO's money.

Then along came hedge fund managers, who $TOMPED like juggernauts to $1,000,000,000 (Billion) in ANNUAL earnings.

These real life wolves on Wall Street appear as werewolves when compared to the so-called "wolf" Jordan Belfort.

The logic you applied to CEOs pertains even more acutely to a hedge fund manager, or a Master of the Big Ticket $ale.

These people do things that most of the people on the planet could never even dream of doing... unless they read @Potente 's penultimate post in the MJ thread.

In the video above, world's largest hedge fund manager explains and elaborates on his view of the world. It should not surprise anyone that the @Ubermensch of money making - he made $4,000,000,000 in a year... WTF... - has a holistic perspective of the economy, that he looks at the world on a global, macroeconomic scale. In the 48 Laws of Power, Greene discusses how one mirrors the powers of the gods on Mt. Olympus - who see the past, present and future with perfect clarity - when "planning all the way to the end," and seeing the entire picture. The more you can spot patterns and pick up on the inner workings of things, details which others ignore (due to ideology or idiocy), the more you give yourself what Sun-Tzu calls Shih: potential force.

Ten hedge fund managers each make more money than the ten best-paid US CEOs combined.

The Top 25 Hedge Fund Managers Earn More than All the 500 Fortune 500 CEOs Combined

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...