The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Lex DeVille's: How to Make $1,000 a Week with no Degree, no Feedback, & no Portfolio.

David Fiddler

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
306%
Jan 11, 2015
So let me get this straight...

Creating a $1,500/mo passive income stream is as simple as $250 and a 10 minute post at Upwork? Damn! How could I be so stupid?
It is now your moral responsibility to publish a revised edition of your book where you point this out.

We're waiting....

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Petahh

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
Sep 24, 2015
Hey guys,
I've been away a while. Been busy with work.

But that said, I've also be hustling in between work and sleep (it's really, really hard. Trust me. But you gotta keep the grind on!)

So, here's my proof that what @SinisterLex said is definitely doable, and your wealth, and fate is entirely in your hands.

Its not much money, but its proof that it works. Gonna hustle even harder now.

Thanks once again @SinisterLex for illuminating the way for so many of us!

Attachments

• upwork proof 1.png
    upwork proof 1.png
    10.5 KB · Views: 87
G

Guest24480

Hey SinisterLex. I started watching your YouTube videos and I'm really impressed by the quality of the videos and content. I'm an introvert as well, so I especially enjoyed the videos where you went into the real world and showed that it was relatively easy to connect with people and network. Keep 'em coming.

The reason I'm posting this is because I've decided to revisit freelancing as a means to generate some startup cash for my eCommerce ventures. My question for you is this:

I have zero experience with the technical aspect of copywriting at this time. Do you think it would be "action-faking" to begin reading up on the basics of copywriting BEFORE I attempt to put together a few samples and apply for gigs? Or should I jump right in despite my lack of experience and learn/improve as I go?

My gut feeling tells me the latter, but I want to hear your insight on this because I'm sure many others may be in a similar predicament.

I watched pretty much all of your videos on copywriting, so that's the only foundation I have to work with, along with a client-first, problem solving mentality. Could I figure this out realtively quickly on my own to start? I'm only hesitant because I don't want to take any shortcuts or avoid the "process", but I also don't want to sit back and action-fake my way through this off the bat.

Thanks, you're the man.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Hey SinisterLex. I started watching your YouTube videos and I'm really impressed by the quality of the videos and content. I'm an introvert as well, so I especially enjoyed the videos where you went into the real world and showed that it was relatively easy to connect with people and network. Keep 'em coming.

The reason I'm posting this is because I've decided to revisit freelancing as a means to generate some startup cash for my eCommerce ventures. My question for you is this:

I have zero experience with the technical aspect of copywriting at this time. Do you think it would be "action-faking" to begin reading up on the basics of copywriting BEFORE I attempt to put together a few samples and apply for gigs? Or should I jump right in despite my lack of experience and learn/improve as I go?

My gut feeling tells me the latter, but I want to hear your insight on this because I'm sure many others may be in a similar predicament.

I watched pretty much all of your videos on copywriting, so that's the only foundation I have to work with, along with a client-first, problem solving mentality. Could I figure this out realtively quickly on my own to start? I'm only hesitant because I don't want to take any shortcuts or avoid the "process", but I also don't want to sit back and action-fake my way through this off the bat.

Thanks, you're the man.

Can you read, learn & apply it all at the same time?

I read Cashvertising & Breakthrough Advertising when I first applied on Upwork.

But I have a lot of background in fields that helped me grow fast.

Copywriting is a highly technical skill and it can't be faked. If you don't know how to do it, it's gonna show.

How important is it for you to earn money now?

If you've gotta have it right now, then what skills do you have that are already developed?

If you can apply other skills to freelancing, then do that and also apply a you focus mentality.

If those skills can't be applied to freelancing, then figure out how to apply them somewhere else to help people, and charge for it.

If you're not in a hurry to make money, study copy, because it's a useful skill, but only when you understand it.

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
Just so everyone knows, this doesn't apply to only copywriting. If you have a technical skill, all these concepts can be applied to Upwork.

I'm noticing people learning copywriting because of this thread. That is awesome, and a useful skill, but remember it is just that. A skill. There are tons of other areas you can work in on there. If you are already proficient at X, do X.

Don't get stuck in someone else's path, because you might fall into a rut.

G

Guest24480

Can you read, learn & apply it all at the same time?

I read Cashvertising & Breakthrough Advertising when I first applied on Upwork.

But I have a lot of background in fields that helped me grow fast.

Copywriting is a highly technical skill and it can't be faked. If you don't know how to do it, it's gonna show.

How important is it for you to earn money now?

If you've gotta have it right now, then what skills do you have that are already developed?

If you can apply other skills to freelancing, then do that and also apply a you focus mentality.

If those skills can't be applied to freelancing, then figure out how to apply them somewhere else to help people, and charge for it.

If you're not in a hurry to make money, study copy, because it's a useful skill, but only when you understand it.

Just so everyone knows, this doesn't apply to only copywriting. If you have a technical skill, all these concepts can be applied to Upwork.

I'm noticing people learning copywriting because of this thread. That is awesome, and a useful skill, but remember it is just that. A skill. There are tons of other areas you can work in on there. If you are already proficient at X, do X.

Don't get stuck in someone else's path, because you might fall into a rut.

Thanks for the reply. To quote both of you, the reason I wanted to learn copywriting is because I feel it is a skill that can be applied to a wide range of other aspects of business and is a useful skill to have in general. I know I may have come off as trying to jump on a bandwagon of sorts, but that really wasn't my intention.

I had done some proofreading gigs on Upwork in the past but that isn't something that I feel is the right fit for me. I'm going to look a bit deeper and see if I can apply any other skills I have to freelancing jobs and I will report back. Cheers

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
Thanks for the reply. To quote both of you, the reason I wanted to learn copywriting is because I feel it is a skill that can be applied to a wide range of other aspects of business and is a useful skill to have in general. I know I may have come off as trying to jump on a bandwagon of sorts, but that really wasn't my intention.

I had done some proofreading gigs on Upwork in the past but that isn't something that I feel is the right fit for me. I'm going to look a bit deeper and see if I can apply any other skills I have to freelancing jobs and I will report back. Cheers
I wasn't really directing that at anyone in particular.

If you don't have a skill yet, take some classes on Udemy or Coursera. Lot's of them come with certificates.

The Grind

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 17, 2014
Got a few messages from people asking me:

"So what did you do?"

"Wow how did you do that?"

"Whats your secret bro?" ( Okay I made that one up )

I'll post the answer here instead of individually responding to them, so others get the secret sauce...

...ready...

Heres the real way to making money on UpWork...

>>>>> Re Read Lex's posts <<<<<

P.S. By the way, It was easy.... After all, your just helping people :)

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
Grind, grind, grind. Starting my first job for this week.

Cq0O8gl.jpg

A mindset that helps is the 10x rule by Grant Cardone. If you haven't read the book, do it.

But to apply it to Upwork, act like every job you do is worth 10x the money, and will take 10x the effort.

You will be amazed at the recommendations and reviews you will get.

I know the initial knee jerk reaction is to say "But why would I spend 10x the effort? I'm worth X."

Not to anyone else you aren't. Prove that you are worth 10x more than everyone else.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario

This has to be remembered.

A lot of you are trying to break in with no writing experience, little writing education, a less-than-fluent grasp of the English language, and very little insight into the way people think.

Yea... no.

This shit is HARD. This isn't "easy money". And not everyone can do this for clients effectively.

This is a way to learn a skill to earn you an income. It's a lesson in creating your own job.

But please, for the LOVE of GOD...

...don't just decide that you're going to be a copywriter because a couple people here have made money doing it.

Instead... play to your unfair advantage.

Use copywriting and direct response principles to make money doing what you already can compete on.

App development, websites, technical writing, data analysis, e-books, expert content writing... carpet cleaning, auto body work, iPhone repair. However...

You still need to learn how to write copy.

In fact, you need to learn how to sell in three ways: over text, over the phone, and face-to-face. It's essential. It's entrepreneurship 101.

If you ever want to sell your own product or service (which we all do), then you need all 3 of these skills.

It's not about becoming a copywriter. It's about becoming FREE from the shackles of a regular job. It's about using what you learned to parlay into a Fastlane. It's about hedging yourself in case you fall on hard times.

It's about ensuring that you'll never be broke.

And always think long term about it. You're not gonna want to churn out deliverables and log working hours forever.

Petahh

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
Sep 24, 2015
Got a few messages from people asking me:

"So what did you do?"

"Wow how did you do that?"

"Whats your secret bro?" ( Okay I made that one up )

I'll post the answer here instead of individually responding to them, so others get the secret sauce...

...ready...

Heres the real way to making money on UpWork...

>>>>> Re Read Lex's posts <<<<<

P.S. By the way, It was easy.... After all, your just helping people :)

HA. I like that answer. Thanks for your inspiration @The Grind . Now its my turn to hustle harder.

Miketing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
May 7, 2014
This has to be remembered.

A lot of you are trying to break in with no writing experience, little writing education, a less-than-fluent grasp of the English language, and very little insight into the way people think.

Yea... no.

This shit is HARD. This isn't "easy money". And not everyone can do this for clients effectively.

This is a way to learn a skill to earn you an income. It's a lesson in creating your own job.

But please, for the LOVE of GOD...

...don't just decide that you're going to be a copywriter because a couple people here have made money doing it.

Instead... play to your unfair advantage.

Use copywriting and direct response principles to make money doing what you already can compete on.

App development, websites, technical writing, data analysis, e-books, expert content writing... carpet cleaning, auto body work, iPhone repair. However...

You still need to learn how to write copy.

In fact, you need to learn how to sell in three ways: over text, over the phone, and face-to-face. It's essential. It's entrepreneurship 101.

If you ever want to sell your own product or service (which we all do), then you need all 3 of these skills.

It's not about becoming a copywriter. It's about becoming FREE from the shackles of a regular job. It's about using what you learned to parlay into a Fastlane. It's about hedging yourself in case you fall on hard times.

It's about ensuring that you'll never be broke.

And always think long term about it. You're not gonna want to churn out deliverables and log working hours forever.

Just about learning this after a week or two on Upwork. I'm very interested in copywriting and I've been learning everything I can on the subject for the past few weeks, but I'm not quite good enough to compete with the big dogs yet.

I applied to quite a few copywriting jobs with no reply so my proposals obviously weren't appealing enough to the clients. I still want to use copywriting to earn in the future, but for now I'm going to stick to what I know.

Any other field you apply for on Upwork will have many people with experience and feedback too, but they won't know how to get work because they're too focused on themselves. Even with a basic grasp of copywriting and the "you-focused" mindset that @SinisterLex teaches, you'll easily get jobs over people who only focus on themselves.

After realising I wasn't as qualified as my competition for copywriting jobs yet, I started to apply to other jobs I knew I could deliver on. I have minimal experience in design but managed to get my first job by offering extra value to the client. I didn't just agree to what he asked for in the description, I thought of any extra ways I could to help him. I told him how I was going to go above and beyond to make sure his work was done better than he was expecting. He was interviewing a few other people about the job but I made sure I was GIVING more before I even got hired. There is no way I would have got the job without you, so thanks for the first success of many Lex.

Like @The-J said, it is HARD. I've probably spent longer learning copywriting than I did learning skills relevant to the job I got hired for. Yet I applied to 10x more copy jobs and still got 0 replies. So stick to the skills you have for now and incorporate what you learn here if you're just starting out.

Mac

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Feb 10, 2015
I got a job writing articles for a fitness blog along with a few other transcription jobs. After I get a few more content writing jobs and more feedback I'll boost my rate up to 12 bucks an hour. Haven't managed to get a copywriting job yet, but im working on it.

Mac

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Feb 10, 2015
Another update: I started suggesting ways to the blog owner about how they can grow their site (as well as profit) and they've actually offered to train me for free on how to work with a CRM system and have also offered me a potential position as a copywriter all because I started to connect with them and showed initiative over the other writers they've hired. The principles that Lex talks about in this thread actually do work and I want to say thanks for giving me that extra push to go and start taking action. You just have to genuinely want to help somebody and you can benefit from it too. It's all about helping each other grow.

Last edited:

Phillip Chambers

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Nov 23, 2015
To everyone,

This is my thank-you to Sinister Lex for the help. Seriously. When I first came across this thread in March I was really struggling with finding a new income stream – I was literally out of money for rent – and I needed to do something, fast. That same day I created a profile and got a job transcribing a business meeting for $30, a task which only took me 2 hours to do (already ahead of most of my friends hourly wage) and knew if I did just this every day I would have enough money for rent.

Fast-forward to now, and I’m earning well over $750 a week from copywriting alone -– not to mention the side income I’m making from helping people set up their business—and to top it off I get to learn the art of writing while doing it!

If anything I hope this post will inspire people to keep going. Building up your profile can be tough in the beginning, but it’s really not overwhelming especially when you get the hang of it.

Here are some tips which I’ve learned which I hope helps…

1) ALWAYS offer the client 80% of your ability and give them 81% or more. Example, if I know a project will take me roughly 2 days to finish I will tell the client it will take me 3-4 days and I’ll deliver early (this always gets me great reviews and referrals).

2) Be strict about your meeting times, you’ll be surprised by how much this impresses potential clients, especially if they miss a proposed meeting time.

3) In the first meeting with a potential client show immediate enthusiasm and pump up their day. Your objective when first meeting a client is to make them leave feeling better than when they arrived (great tip for life too).

4) When delivering the final project show the client your thought process and the reason behind your choice in wordage. This eliminates a lot of headaches with rewriting, and the client will feel like they got the most out of you.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
To everyone,

This is my thank-you to Sinister Lex for the help. Seriously. When I first came across this thread in March I was really struggling with finding a new income stream – I was literally out of money for rent – and I needed to do something, fast. That same day I created a profile and got a job transcribing a business meeting for $30, a task which only took me 2 hours to do (already ahead of most of my friends hourly wage) and knew if I did just this every day I would have enough money for rent.

Fast-forward to now, and I’m earning well over $750 a week from copywriting alone -– not to mention the side income I’m making from helping people set up their business—and to top it off I get to learn the art of writing while doing it!

If anything I hope this post will inspire people to keep going. Building up your profile can be tough in the beginning, but it’s really not overwhelming especially when you get the hang of it.

1) ALWAYS offer the client 80% of your ability and give them 81% or more. Example, if I know a project will take me roughly 2 days to finish I will tell the client it will take me 3-4 days and I’ll deliver early (this always gets me great reviews and referrals).

2) Be strict about your meeting times, you’ll be surprised by how much this impresses potential clients, especially if they miss a proposed meeting time.

3) In the first meeting with a potential client show immediate enthusiasm and pump up their day. Your objective when first meeting a client is to make them leave feeling better than when they arrived (great tip for life too).

4) When delivering the final project show the client your thought process and the reason behind your choice in wordage. This eliminates a lot of headaches with rewriting, and the client will feel like they got the most out of you.

A lot of wisdom in this post. Great work! You're truly making shit happen!

Rep xferred

Trixii

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
May 5, 2015

Some great tips - especially #4. I've found that explaining the 'why' gets me a better response to proposals - after reading this I will try adding it the the final delivery too.

I'd like to add a tip of my own for those who like getting paid to learn. Some clients will actually teach you what you need to know and be happy to pay you for the work you do! For example, as a copywriter you have a core ability (sales writing) but you might never have written an about page/press release/squeeze page. As a designer, you have a talent but perhaps you've never produced a brochure/banner/business card. You get the idea...

Many great clients are looking for someone to do things 'their way' or are happy to pay a little less for someone who has not got a massive portfolio. They know exactly what they need and are not afraid to tell you, in detail. To find these jobs you need to look for well-written job descriptions. If the job description is comprehensive (look for a detailed description and lots of questions - and be sure to ask a few yourself) then there's a good chance that the brief will be detailed too. Apply in the usual way (see the rest of this thread!) and you might find yourself with both a job and a clear and comprehensive brief that sets out the work for you. You do not need to be dishonest about your experience, just emphasise how your skills can help them. Clients with a limited budget will know that they are not going to get someone with a lifetime of experience and they don't care; they just want someone who can help them, right now.

This has happened to me several times so far and the clients have been very happy with the work. It's easy to overdeliver when someone tells you exactly what they want! And I have gained experience in writing for a niche/format that I had not written in before.

Edited to add - when I say limited budget, I do not mean $3 or $5 an hour. I mean fairly priced (you will be delivering high quality work, after all). Look at the realistic fees for your area of work - preferably 'real-world' prices (trade organisations or networks will sometimes show examples) and charge accordingly. The clients who know enough about the field to 'train' you will understand the real-world prices and will be happy to pay a realistic rate.

Last edited:

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I'd like to add a tip of my own for those who like getting paid to learn. Some clients will actually teach you what you need to know and be happy to pay you for the work you do! For example, as a copywriter you have a core ability (sales writing) but you might never have written an about page/press release/squeeze page. As a designer, you have a talent but perhaps you've never produced a brochure/banner/business card. You get the idea...

Wow, that's a great point! I've worked with a bunch of clients that did things this way. One of my first full-time clients mainly cared that I could write English well, and then they gave me a whole book of processes and training to teach me their way of doing copy. The cool thing was that a lot of it was totally applicable to what I was already doing, but gave me new ways to quickly put the info to use.

Great tip!

saigon

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Sep 25, 2011
NYC/CT/GA
@SinisterLex

Rep++ sent your way. Thank you for posting this thread. I read it months ago and never took action. Last weekend, created a complete profile and hit the pavement applying to jobs. I've since landed 4 jobs. I've niched down on the type of copywriting I've done and it has landed me some pretty fun clients doing some awesome things.

Anyone on the fence after all this proof, nothing beats taking action. Leverage a skill you're proficient in or near proficiency but need that last bit of bump to get you over the hump. I think this can be very scalable with the right processes/teams in place.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Check it out guys...

A lot of you keep sending me pieces of copy wondering why they aren't working. Why you're not getting hired, or why your client rejects it. Stuff like that. I open it up and I read the same thing almost every time. Spelling & grammar errors in the headline, or the body - in your profile, etc...

NO Employer who needs copywriting in U.S. or U.K. English will hire you if they see either of these.

Here's what spelling, grammar, & linguistic errors mean to me:

• You're not a native English speaker
• You don't have true command over the English language
• You therefore cannot influence my customers
I'm not hiring you.

This is why copywriting is NOT for everyone...

Why do you think I spend hours writing applications? Is it to make sure it's 100% the most persuasive thing the client has ever read?

No...

It's because I'm combing over every sentence, every word, every letter looking for things that are out of place, don't sound right, don't belong, etc. I'm looking for little things that tell people I'm not what they're looking for in the first 2 seconds of seeing my application.

So how can you overcome this as a non-native speaker?

Here's How:

Spend $5 or $10 on Fiverr to hire a native English speaking editor.

Let them review your Upwork bio for spelling / grammar / linguistic mistakes.

If you can afford it, also pay them to review your applications for errors.

If you can't afford it, see if you can work out some kind of deal with them.

Pay $5.00 for the first review and ask if they're interested in on-going work.

Give them 10% of any gig you get by using their services so you don't have to pay up front...

Wouldn't 10% of a $500.00 gig be worth more than $5.00 up front to them?

Wouldn't their services be worth giving up 10% of that $500.00 gig you might not have landed on your own?

Wtf... Solve F*cking problems.

You guys gotta think bigger.

You've already seen the power of solving client problems.

Now apply it with scale. Start expanding.

Forget stupid copywriting, and use what you've learned to build something that actually makes a difference.

Just do it.

TeflonDon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
302%
Jan 9, 2013
England
Great tips guys, thanks!

*Edited & Moving offer to Marketplace

*Edit 2 - I can't post on the Marketplace o_O Will message a Mod

*Edit 3 - Okay guys, so if you need something checking over for grammar/spelling, and it isn't urgent, feel free to PM it over to me and I'll take a look, no charge. I'll do this for things like cover letters and short pieces of, obviously if it's going to eat up loads of time you need to go and hire somebody instead.

Last edited:

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Great tips guys, thanks!

I'm not sure on the forum rules for stuff like this, so if I'm breaking any rules let me know and I'll get rid of this:

If you guys need a proofreader/editor to go over your applications, copy or anything else, I'd be willing to do you a cheap as hell deal on anything of decent length.

If it's short and sweet (and also non-urgent), PM it over to me on here and I'll take a look within 24 hours usually, for free.
Yes, you need to put this in the marketplace threads.

You'll get more exposure there anyway. Lots of ppl on the board need editing on stuff but they don't all hang out in this thread.

JaxAttacks

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
215%
May 16, 2015
California
I've been going through this thread and copy pasting @SinisterLex's posts to a Google document and I just caught up. I've got 80 PAGES of absolute GOLD. Thought it would nice to quickly read through every once in a while, mainly to keep the right mindset. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of valuable posts in this thread by a lot of people, but I wanted to concentrate it down a bit. Maybe, if Lex and MJ don't mind I could post the doc.

Thanks for the enormous amount of insight and value you continue to provide, Lex. Leading by example, you are.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I've been going through this thread and copy pasting @SinisterLex's posts to a Google document and I just caught up. I've got 80 PAGES of absolute GOLD. Thought it would nice to quickly read through every once in a while, mainly to keep the right mindset. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of valuable posts in this thread by a lot of people, but I wanted to concentrate it down a bit. Maybe, if Lex and MJ don't mind I could post the doc.

Thanks for the enormous amount of insight and value you continue to provide, Lex. Leading by example, you are.

It's not my forum haha. Doesn't bother me a bit.

I assume you mean post it here on the forum.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Just thought I'd share a bit of opportunity with you guys this morning.

I don't have the time to take on something like this, but there's a serious need in the market.

Those of you who already started on Upwork probably noticed it.

Here's just a few random comments from a top blog covering Upwork.

Comment1.png
Comment 2.png
Comment 3.png

Elance is pretty much gone. No new jobs can be posted on Elance.

Typing "Upwork alternative" in Google brings up a whole lotta nothing.

Freelance.com is one of the closer alternatives, but it's pretty terrible.

So we're looking at a whole world of people ready to freelance, and no quality place for them to work.

The question isn't can something better be built...

It's a matter of who will do it, and how soon can they have it online?

Notice it's not just Freelancers who are unhappy. A lot of clients think it sucks too.

I've been asked several times to move work outside of Upwork because the system sucks.

So...what happens when some young entrepreneur comes in and gives both sides exactly what they want?

What then?

Will it be difficult to get going? Perhaps.

But when people use it the potential is virtually unlimited.

Just think about it.

Give people what they want.

Opportunity awaits.

Trixii

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
May 5, 2015
I believe that some unhappy Elancers have tried this - I read something last month about a site that was opening on the 1st Nov to compete with Upwork but I haven't seen anything about it since. I can't remember the site name now - frustrating!

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I believe that some unhappy Elancers have tried this - I read something last month about a site that was opening on the 1st Nov to compete with Upwork but I haven't seen anything about it since. I can't remember the site name now - frustrating!

Freelancing's gonna get more and more popular over the coming years.

People are starting to realize how connected the world is, and that working from home is better than working from work.

New platforms will rise. I'm really surprised something better hasn't popped up yet.

But they will, and when they do Upwork is gonna struggle.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.