The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Ecommerce software question

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I need someone with experience on other Ecommerce platforms to chime in on this:

I am looking to open a small new ecommerce store. However I do not want to go through the hassles of getting a new payment processor account.

So I am looking for shopping cart software that:
is hosted by the company, not self hosted
has no transaction fees on their low end package
can integrate with square or stripe for payment
not interested in using only paypal payments
can also integrate with Amazon fulfillment to self fulfill (not a deal breaker)

I do not want to use Bigcommerce or Shopify because of their 1.5% transaction fees on their low end packages.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Replying to my own thread here: It looks like bigcommerce just redid their whole pricing structure. I know I just looked at their pricing tiers a few days ago!

They have no transaction fees now, but they go by gross sales? This is scary because I fully expect to do more than $125k, but if you don't know your monthly price before hand, what if they tell you its $300/month? You are stuck with them or you will need to move your store somewhere else.

Untitled.png

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

Y.B.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Feb 7, 2014
They are sneaky. Mouse over the little exclamation point next to the word Transaction fees

Shopify payments is powered by stripe, which is what you were looking for.

Trivium iz rC

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jan 23, 2014
Hey Bio,

Check out americommerce.

They were recently bought out by capital one which is interesting & im pretty sure they just changed the name to "spark-pay" is weird. But from what i saw they have no transaction fees and are a hosted shopping cart.

I got 1 store on shopify & 1 store on Big Commerce. I've recently just started a joint venture with one of my buddies and I was interested to try there platform. Let me know if you check it out and like it.

trivium

letter9

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Oct 31, 2015
I was in similar situation - didn't want to open the merchant account while i don't have enough volume/data - so i went with stripe - makes things much faster to start and than when you see sales and know your volume you can open/negotiate merchant account.

Ecommerce people on reddit said that after you show volume on stripe you can negotiate the rate, some guy claimed that stripe gave him better rate than his merchant provider (he created 'bid war' as he called it)
Also have a look at braintree, as far as i remember they were free on first 50K in sales. Very similar to stripe.

And i would recommend against having ecommerce platform provider and payment processor as 1 party. You can be happy with software and switch the payment processor cause of the rate, or be happy with your rate and switch ecommerce platform cause of bugs or smng. More options. Easier to negotiate if you would see volume.

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
www.squarespace.com

BASIC
Everything you need to get your business off the ground.
  • Sell Unlimited Products
  • No Transaction Fees
  • Squarespace Website with Integrated Galleries and Blogs
  • Mobile-Optimized Website and Checkout
  • Free Custom Domain
    with annual purchase
  • 24/7 Support
  • Powerful Commerce Metrics
  • Professional Email from Google
  • $100 Adwords Credit
  • Unlimited Storage, Bandwidth, and Contributors
  • Inventory, Orders, Tax, Discounts
  • Label Printing via Shipstation
  • Integrated Accounting via Xero
  • Developer Platform

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
www.squarespace.com

BASIC
Everything you need to get your business off the ground.
  • Sell Unlimited Products
  • No Transaction Fees
  • Squarespace Website with Integrated Galleries and Blogs
  • Mobile-Optimized Website and Checkout
  • Free Custom Domain
    with annual purchase
  • 24/7 Support
  • Powerful Commerce Metrics
  • Professional Email from Google
  • $100 Adwords Credit
  • Unlimited Storage, Bandwidth, and Contributors
  • Inventory, Orders, Tax, Discounts
  • Label Printing via Shipstation <--------------- this is awesome too.
  • Integrated Accounting via Xero
  • Developer Platform

I think we have a winner! BTW, there are only no transaction fees if you use Stripe as your payment processor, else its 2-3%.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I think we have a winner! BTW, there are only no transaction fees if you use Stripe as your payment processor, else its 2-3%.

Well that was quick. I signed up for square space. Took me about 30 minutes to figure out the site and another 5 minutes to sign up a new account for Stripe. Store is up and can take money already! But no products are up and am just using a stock template. First impression is that it is very easy to us and it does have alot of decent options that I like.

I'm going to take tonight (Sunday evening) to see if I can get everything up and running by tonight. I want this store ready for black friday.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I'm going to take tonight (Sunday evening) to see if I can get everything up and running by tonight. I want this store ready for black friday.

Ok, running into some issues. I have concerns that I'm going to get this store set up partially and then find out it can't do some of the stuff I want it to do. I may need to trash this and just go with bigcommerce since I know how to manipulate its templates already. I can save alot of time this way.

BTW, they have no phone number for customer care, so that sucks. I just went ahead and cancelled my account. They did refund me my $30.

Last edited:

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
Ok, running into some issues. I have concerns that I'm going to get this store set up partially and then find out it can't do some of the stuff I want it to do. I may need to trash this and just go with bigcommerce since I know how to manipulate its templates already. I can save alot of time this way.

BTW, they have no phone number for customer care, so that sucks. I just went ahead and cancelled my account. We will see if they refund me my $30 for the month.
Curious what you were trying to do.

Mind sharing?

I setup squarespace recently. Still figuring out all it's functionality but it was super easy to setup a pretty website :woot:

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Curious what you were trying to do.

Mind sharing?

I setup squarespace recently. Still figuring out all it's functionality but it was super easy to setup a pretty website :woot:

I was trying to open a simple ecommerce store. But it looks like you can't really modify the product page within a template. I did not like the drag and drop interface. I know it is easier to use, getting down to the code level always gives you more options.

For example, how do you modify the product page photo size?
How do you add products to different product pages?

I think I'm going to go with Bigcommerce + Stripe since they removed the transaction fee. I did some calculations and I probably won't go over $125k in sales in the first year.

Last edited:

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
How do you add products to different roduct pages?
I haven't needed to do it yet but I believe you can set the link to a folder which will allow drop downs.

As for sizing i've seen a few answers posted but have to run so don't have time to dig at the moment.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I haven't needed to do it yet but I believe you can set the link to a folder which will allow drop downs.

As for sizing i've seen a few answers posted but have to run so don't have time to dig at the moment.

For me it was just too time consuming. I almost have my bigcommerce store up and ready to go. I'm just so familiar with it that I can make changes very easily.

WriteItDown

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Nov 23, 2015
I was trying to open a simple ecommerce store. But it looks like you can't really modify the product page within a template. I did not like the drag and drop interface. I know it is easier to use, getting down to the code level always gives you more options.

For example, how do you modify the product page photo size?
How do you add products to different product pages?

I think I'm going to go with Bigcommerce + Stripe since they removed the transaction fee. I did some calculations and I probably won't go over $125k in sales in the first year.

There's nothing "simple" about it. An ecommerce venture is the type of venture that requires a lot of planning and forethought. To be fair, I wouldn't just do it on a whim by finding some template and filling in the blanks. In order for an ecommerce site to survive in this saturated market is to be unique. First and foremost, you really need to know your target demographic really well, along with your competition, and see where you can offer something that no one else is offering. If you don't do this, it will most likely crash and burn. New ecommerce sites pop up every day and disappear just as quickly. You need to have a very good business plan in place before you make a move. You also need to have brand development strategies and CXM and CRM plans in place before you even launch. A good businessman doesn't cut corners. Think and plan everything through thoroughly. Also, if you are going with a web development site, be sure that you can choose a nTLD (use this tool to check which domains are available:
http://www.1and1.com/whois-domain-lookup), that you can personalize the design as much as possible so that it doesn't seem generic, and make sure it includes a SSL certificate. No ecommerce site can function without an SSL certificate. Ecommerce is more than putting product up online and hoping that people buy it. You need to know how to attract traffic to your page and how to guide them through every stage of the customer journey in order to get them to purchase, and then further know how to reach them to secure return business. So, I guess all of that to say that there's no such thing as a "simple" ecommerce store.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
There's nothing "simple" about it. An ecommerce venture is the type of venture that requires a lot of planning and forethought. To be fair, I wouldn't just do it on a whim by finding some template and filling in the blanks. In order for an ecommerce site to survive in this saturated market is to be unique. First and foremost, you really need to know your target demographic really well, along with your competition, and see where you can offer something that no one else is offering. If you don't do this, it will most likely crash and burn. New ecommerce sites pop up every day and disappear just as quickly. You need to have a very good business plan in place before you make a move. You also need to have brand development strategies and CXM and CRM plans in place before you even launch. A good businessman doesn't cut corners. Think and plan everything through thoroughly. Also, if you are going with a web development site, be sure that you can choose a nTLD (use this tool to check which domains are available:
http://www.1and1.com/whois-domain-lookup), that you can personalize the design as much as possible so that it doesn't seem generic, and make sure it includes a SSL certificate. No ecommerce site can function without an SSL certificate. Ecommerce is more than putting product up online and hoping that people buy it. You need to know how to attract traffic to your page and how to guide them through every stage of the customer journey in order to get them to purchase, and then further know how to reach them to secure return business. So, I guess all of that to say that there's no such thing as a "simple" ecommerce store.

Thanks for the info. I think you misunderstood me when I said simple, I meant a store that had 2-6 products. I did not need all the bells and whistles of a full fledged ecommerce store. Nevertheless, I went with Bigcommerce and a standard template and basically stripped most of its functionality off off it so it just takes orders. No reviews, categories, etc...

It's up and running right now. It's using BC's shared SSL and Stripe as the payment processor.

Just curious, what is your experience in ecommerce?

WriteItDown

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Nov 23, 2015
Thanks for the info. I think you misunderstood me when I said simple, I meant a store that had 2-6 products. I did not need all the bells and whistles of a full fledged ecommerce store. Nevertheless, I went with Bigcommerce and a standard template and basically stripped most of its functionality off off it so it just takes orders. No reviews, categories, etc...

It's up and running right now. It's using BC's shared SSL and Stripe as the payment processor.

Just curious, what is your experience in ecommerce?

You're right. I misunderstood what you meant by "simple." My experience with ecommerce (aside from using it as a customer) is purely intellectual and research based I'm afraid. I've studied it a lot, along with marketing and brand development, but I haven't started a venture of my own. Instead, I'm a freelance writer creating content for many different ecommerce clients, as well as web content for various other clients. So, again, I am familiar with the ins and outs through producing promotional content and general optimized web content, but I have never created my own ecommerce store.

Dots

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Aug 16, 2016
Hi @biophase , are you still using Bigcommerce to setup ecommerce websites? I dont have experience with hosted shopping carts and I am torn between shopify or bigcommerce. Any recommendations ?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Hi @biophase , are you still using Bigcommerce to setup ecommerce websites? I dont have experience with hosted shopping carts and I am torn between shopify or bigcommerce. Any recommendations ?

I switched all my shops over to shopify.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
I have a dumb question and feel like I'm missing something, why didn't anyone mention Woocommerce?

I recently started setting it up on my website with the Stripe integration. The fact that no one mentioned it makes me feel like I made a mistake...

Empires

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Jan 12, 2016
Planet Earth
I have a dumb question and feel like I'm missing something, why didn't anyone mention Woocommerce?

I recently started setting it up on my website with the Stripe integration. The fact that no one mentioned it makes me feel like I made a mistake...
I use Woocommerce with Stripe, never had a problem with it.

Only recommendation is make sure your theme author updates often, I used a theme that took months to get updates for Woocommerce 3.0 and when they finally released it Woocommerce already had 3.1 out and wasn't compatible with the theme again so I've been stuck on Woocommerce 2.6 for months.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.