The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Almost got sucked into an mlm tonight

halmerej

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Oct 2, 2015
Im such an idiot. I was approached by a random man on the street today who asked about my shoes. Somehow the conversation drifted into business and entrepreneurship. He told me about a business seminar he was going to. I went. I was really excited until the giant screen showed the word
AMWAY.

Dont be an idiot like me. Trust no one.

AMWAY is still preying on young naive people like me

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
D

Deleted35442

Im such an idiot. I was approached by a random man on the street today who asked about my shoes. Somehow the conversation drifted into business and entrepreneurship. He told me about a business seminar he was going to. I went. I was really excited until the giant screen showed the word
AMWAY.

Dont be an idiot like me. Trust no one.

AMWAY is still preying on young naive people like me
Haha. That's how it happens man. One more under their "pyramid" so to speak. Since we're on the topic. I have a horror story for you from a company that calls themselves Nu Marketing. We had a 1-on-1 "interview" for all of us, the "candidates." I was younger and naive and hadn't touched college yet. The interviewer liked me and the others (all of them) were instantly invited back into a room. We were talked to constantly about the "money-making potential" as you went door-to-door pitching cable/internet subscriptions for I believe was Xfinity or Fios, I forget. They keep going on without getting to the point trying to build up peoples excitement, I finally ask "What are you offering us?" and he's all "Ahhh, getting to that" another 20 minutes, nothing. I get up and proclaim "This is bullshit. I'm out." and this obviously threw him off script and left him bemused. "Uhhh....Yeahh...It's not a good fit anyways." he says, or something along those lines. I walked out.

Check out their ripoffreport claims. Lol. Sad to read. Keep at it though.
http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Nu-Im...COMPANY-WONT-PAY-lowell-Massachusetts-1233681
http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Nu-Im...STAY-AWAY-DONT-BE-ANOTHER-VICTIM-Lowel-956959

Last edited by a moderator:

Kingmaker

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Jan 26, 2013
San Diego
D

Deleted35442

Lol at the second ripoff report where dude gets arrested by police after getting his 3rd soliciting warning. MLMs can really train some bulletproof drones as their salespeople :woot:
Arrested. Could you imagine? Such a bullshit operation telling you to lie to sell their shit, F*cking you about on paying you, and after you incur the cost of getting arrested due to them "sorry, you're a SUB-CONTRACTOR." Did I call that or what? Still, if this guy was sitting in the room with me during this group "pep talk" / "post-interview bash" after I called them on it and walked out, I have no sympathy.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Lol these MLM guys are like the shadiest people. They're the PUA of entrepreneurship.

*Sees random guy on the street. Alright remember, come up with clever opener.
"
Hey man, I like your shoes!"

"uhhh. thanks."

"Hey, you like shoes, I like shoes. We have something in common!" *wink wink

"I guess so."

"So what do you do for a living besides have an awesome fashion sense?" *wink wink

"Entrepreneurship."

"Dude, like, no way. That's me too! Here, take my card, and let's go to this business seminar together, then we can do… entrepreneur stuff." *wink wink.

Sure enough, you showed up, you were disappointed. He never liked you, you were just a number. :(

Goddamnit MLM.

ExCubeCommando

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Oct 10, 2015
Evans, Colorado
You're not a real entrepreneur until you have an MLM story :woot:

LOL...it's sort of like military boot camp. It will help toughen you up mentally if you can endure 8 weeks of it. Once the smoke clears, you leave it behind, change direction and head toward the real world training with stuff that matters!

GrayCode

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
399%
Nov 23, 2015
You're not a real entrepreneur until you have an MLM story :woot:

i got asked by someone i knew to come to a "Business Meeting". I went.. AMWAY ran it.

After about 10 mins, i was disgusted...

Host: " I am a Triple Platinum Member and i make 400k per year!"

Host: "...And now lets meet Bob, he is a Quadruple Platinum Triple Double Gold Member, He makes 900k/yr! and he got me in"

SenGracic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 12, 2015
Canada
My friend called me since he missed me ( no news for more than two months of course) and wanted to see me and talk a little.
A few minutes after he arrived he HAD to talk about this BIG opportunity.
The opportunity was Kyani.
Told him I don't believe in MLMs unless I start them, he talked to me about it for 20 minutes even called his sponsor ( his girlfriend ) and showed me all the papers. She started talking about how she made 40,000$ in a few weeks and more is coming BUT when I asked to see her account balance the check was on it's way.
When I told them I had to leave they started telling how they would pay the first 500$ for me because they're going to be big and how much they love me they want me to make it too with them. Told them no again and stop annoying me with it... no more calls for two weeks. I guess the love is gone.

The only good thing in MLMs is the fact that you HAVE to learn to network and it can be useful.

hellolin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 27, 2015
I almost got sucked into becoming a customer of Trans-america finance, not the good part but the life insurance part of it, went home and researched it and found out its a really bad deal, since I was in business school I was able to see how bad their finance deal is from both a customer and a seller stand point of view. The guy who tried to sell me is still trying to reach me, because me and him did have a good conversation and he is one of their "platinum" members, I have tried to block him on everything I own yet he still somehow find ways to contact me, gonna give those guys some credit for sticking though. It does seem like guys who can make MLM a career are excellent in networking and marketing skills, they should have no problem just sell everything period.

steve10765

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Mar 14, 2016
I did a quick google of MLM, what exactly is bad about it? It seems like a good marketing strategy, and even companies like Avon and Tupperware I read use MLM. It just seems like a more in-depth commission system.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
I did a quick google of MLM, what exactly is bad about it? It seems like a good marketing strategy, and even companies like Avon and Tupperware I read use MLM. It just seems like a more in-depth commission system.

Welcome to the Fastlane. Have you read the book? those questions are answered there.

How about posting an intro? Are you here to promote an MLM?

Castillo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Mar 8, 2016
Vancouver, BC

Yes, it can be a great way to distribute your product very quickly by giving people incentives of "profound wealth", but the issue is that they don't give a flying F*ck about the product, and it's not following the CENTS rules of the fastlane whatsoever. You don't own the company, they make you think that you can "start your own company" when really all you're doing is making money for the top few people. There is potential to make great money, but the odds are VERY slim if you are not the one creating it. They don't show you who's above you because they don't want you to see how far down the line you are. They only allow you to see who's under you just to make you feel like you're at the top. Half of them are scams, and the other half people don't actually care for the product.

Last edited by a moderator:

steve10765

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Mar 14, 2016
Thanks for the reply @mcastillo

@Runum
I have not read the book yet, I was going to post an intro and was reading the guidelines saying we should mention how we plan to achieve our goal etc. So instead of posting I decided to go work on that goal, then came back to the forum.
Also I know Fastlane is a great book and I plan on buying it soon, but it's always good to have a view from the outside, IE looking at other's views on topics, such as MLM. From what I read it was noticeable that MLM can be dishonest etc, but it did at least seem like a good business strategy if done honestly. I came back for some clarification.

Castillo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Mar 8, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Thanks for the reply @mcastillo

@Runum
I have not read the book yet, I was going to post an intro and was reading the guidelines saying we should mention how we plan to achieve our goal etc. So instead of posting I decided to go work on that goal, then came back to the forum.
Also I know Fastlane is a great book and I plan on buying it soon, but it's always good to have a view from the outside, IE looking at other's views on topics, such as MLM. From what I read it was noticeable that MLM can be dishonest etc, but it did at least seem like a good business strategy if done honestly. I came back for some clarification.

Very understandable. It's always great to be on the outside of things. Avon is a great MLM from what I can see, they truly believe in their product. I know a bunch of people who used to purchase products only from them, and not have to join like how you have to with other MLM's. They definitely can be a good thing.

OVOvince

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 18, 2014
Don't feel bad dude, at least you didn't buy. One time in college I was in a very vulnerable position and a "friend"exploited that by getting me to drop a grand in a pyramid. I was broke after that. And it was all my fault. And I still feel stupid about it.

That's what happens to a lot of people. They hit a setback in life, but have the courage to be ambitious, and then comes along some a**hole mlm dude and takes that ambition down the wrong lane. Knowledge is a weapon man, defend yourself.

Castillo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Mar 8, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Don't feel bad dude, at least you didn't buy. One time in college I was in a very vulnerable position and a "friend"exploited that by getting me to drop a grand in a pyramid. I was broke after that. And it was all my fault. And I still feel stupid about it.

That's what happens to a lot of people. They hit a setback in life, but have the courage to be ambitious, and then comes along some a**hole mlm dude and takes that ambition down the wrong lane. Knowledge is a weapon man, defend yourself.

This x10^ I dropped about 600 back when I wasn't even of age... That's how much they don't care. I was 17, and they convinced me to use my mom's information and credit card (though I paid for it out of my pocket) It's ridiculous how much they don't care.

What's also shitty is when you see the person later in life and you don't have the same relationship with them as you did before, knowing how they betrayed you.

OVOvince

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 18, 2014
Lol what a damn coincidence but one of my acquaintances texted me about joining a business. I had a feeling it was a pyramid but didn't tell him.

Now I texted him back with a long as paragraph telling him to just drop it and to put his energy somewhere more positive. I'm about to tell him to buy TMF lol

Castillo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Mar 8, 2016
Vancouver, BC
h
Lol what a damn coincidence but one of my acquaintances texted me about joining a business. I had a feeling it was a pyramid but didn't tell him.

Now I texted him back with a long as paragraph telling him to just drop it and to put his energy somewhere more positive. I'm about to tell him to buy TMF lol
Aha good dude. I have just started reading in the last month ish and I've downed like 4 books already I just can't stop absorbing knowledge. I also refer my friends to TMF but none of them wants the time to sit down and read them... I have one buddy who's wanting to get into trading and stuff because he's getting flaunted by all of these big numbers that these people are gaining but the courses are like 1500 bucks and i'm like duuuudeeee just read this book and i can assure you you'll have such a different perspective on life.

OVOvince

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 18, 2014
h

Aha good dude. I have just started reading in the last month ish and I've downed like 4 books already I just can't stop absorbing knowledge. I also refer my friends to TMF but none of them wants the time to sit down and read them... I have one buddy who's wanting to get into trading and stuff because he's getting flaunted by all of these big numbers that these people are gaining but the courses are like 1500 bucks and i'm like duuuudeeee just read this book and i can assure you you'll have such a different perspective on life.

Always try to help them once with one genuine try but don't wait for them man. You'll be lucky if they come thru. This dude I'm texting just told me his paycheck numbers don't lie and I'm just sittin here Rollin my eyes rn lol

W4RHRSE

High Speed, Low Drag
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Mar 10, 2016
Central Virginia
I have done my fair share of them. Here are the major differances that I noticed:

You do not own the company. Sure, you have a pseudo franchise that already has a set up system for you to use and info sheets to parrot. And it may be for you. But you will never, ever be free.

The products are out of your control. The company decideds what to carry, what to change and everything about the products.

You are still stuck in a 9 to 5. You may have just traded jobs.

Your network is only as strong as the weakest person. I felt like I was doing the business for my downline all the time. It never ended.

Beyond that, yes, The Millionaire Fastlane has other issues and reasons on why MLMs are what they are...

Envision

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
783%
May 5, 2014
But you can make 500k in your first 6 months guys...

Obviously you don't believe in the law of attraction

D

Deleted20833

Lmao, I got invited to a "business mastermind" 2 years ago

They didn't reveal the big MLM surprised until about an hour
into the "business presentation"

OVOvince

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 18, 2014
im sad to say that last night i could not save my aquaintance. we lost another one

tumblr_mpe1r8ntFI1r2du9bo1_500.gif

stay safe everyone its dangerous out there

Evil_Jester

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
May 25, 2015
Dallas, TX
Ahhhh it was a bad start to the year for me from people trying to sucker me.
1) January--some 'friend' tried to get me to buy a condo for a great deal, I was a little ignorant. Then 10 days before signing he said he wanted 10% of the deed.
2) I called my other friend bob about this. I wasn't going to give the deed to guy #1, but wanted to know how to handle it. He recommended cutting my losses--I did, cancelled the contract. There were too many red flags. Then bob tried to get me to drop $2000 to get started on a real estate mlm when I already lost a lot of money cancelling my contract. I then isolated myself from EVERYBODY and got a new apartment and started coding a new website.
3) Went to best buy to get a new laptop. Friend #1 (self-claimed cia agent) was probably the guy who stole my other one in december. Some guy at best buy approached me and connected with me because of my ambition. Told me about a conference. We met at starbucks a week later. Before he started talking I asked if the company was mlm. He said yes. It was Amway. He gave his pitch anyway and I knew all the references to the books he read, but I knew even more than him. We started talking to each other in quotes from books we read. Now I am scam proof after an expensive 2 months.

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
I did a quick google of MLM, what exactly is bad about it?
It's a 100% commission job that pays the equivalent of $0.03 per hour that's sold to unsuspecting victims as a "business" by people who actual own a business.
Own Tupperwear = business
Sell tupperwear = sucker

BlackPebbles

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Mar 25, 2016
Two of my "friends" tried to recruit me within 2 weeks of each other.

One was some ridiculous wholesale travel thing the other was kyani.

The friend with kyani was actually a really good friend and I was stunned he didn't see through it. He liked all the white Mercedes parked at the meetings.

He showed me some figures in the sponsors account but they are just figures... I wanted bank balance figures. Legit screenshots. No can do, hombre.

I respectfully declined. He has signed up one of my other friends for $1500. They both pay $200 a month for bottles of berries. 6 months later that's it.

Skeptical badger is skeptical.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.