The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Amazon kindle or own website?

Wal903

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane
I finally finished writing my quit smoking book. I never thought I'd get there.

Now, this is my first book and I'm learning as I go. The question is: should I sell on Amazon kindle or through a website of my own? Or a combo of both, and every other selling platform I can find?

Does anyone have any advice or recommended reading regarding how to sell and appropriate marketing?

It's been polished up by an editor and it's looking pretty slick (slightly biased opinion). I cannot believe how much getting an editor improved it, was a bit worried at first. I never thought I'd make it to this stage. Now I just need to sell a bunch of them.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

EricZ

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 18, 2014
Germany & California
I would do a combination of both.
For example you can use gumroad on your own website and offer price tiers that you just can't do on amazon.
I have some low earner books that are now making more money on my own website than on amazon because of this.
One offer is just he ebook (epub, mobi) the other offer is just the pdf, and the third is the "mega-pack", all three together.
People quite often buy the megapack which is the most expensive. It seems there is indeed a demand for .pdf's, and you can't sell pdfs on amazon.
However;
If you have a successful launch on Amazon, your question might just answer itself.

Brgs
ERic

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
I'd do both, I'm going to be doing the same thing when I've got all my books published to Amazon (first task).

You can go smashwords (I forget the name of the other one) and get the book out to more people that way, AND sell on your own website.

P.S. Let me know when the book is out because I'll buy a copy, need to quit smoking myself.

GiroudJD

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
361%
Dec 25, 2013
MPLS
Kindle exclusively for one term (while also using Createspace and ACX). Then wide everywhere through D2D, and on your own site, if you want.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Omni

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
209%
Jul 18, 2014
Kindle then draft 2 digital. Make sure you add bonus material in your books that link to your website, where they can trade their email address for it. Building your list helps with successful launches in the future

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Wal903

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane
P.S. Let me know when the book is out because I'll buy a copy, need to quit smoking myself.

Sorry about the massive delay. Had some issues with my cover and the graphic designer, and my job sending me away and leaving me with no internet connection. But i finally got it on Amazon yesterday. If you are still smoking, I'd love some feedback, both on the book and the Amazon description. Here is the link. It's going for 99c at the moment until I can get some feed back Cheers

http://www.amazon.com/War-Smoking-Approach-Effectively-Quitting-ebook/dp/B01C1VUEIS/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1456235040&sr=1-1&keywords=the war on smoking

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.