The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

You tell me what to do. Need advice.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
NEVER again will I ever owe money to anybody.

It will always be me and my cash against the world. Independence.

I will always save and keep cash. It has a level of independence that is freedom.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

blackhat

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Mar 24, 2015
Congrats man!

You've made a lot of progress in less than a month. And I'm sure you've learned quite a bit as well. Keep it up!

What's next? Any plans to increase cash flow?

JoeB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jul 17, 2014
UK

I actually thought that post was going to be an April fool.

Post 1:"I'm going start a nutrition blog to make over $100,000. The main criteria will be: I will spend no more than $100 on a domain and will not not leverage my existing contacts."

Post 2: He then buys a domain for $1889, links from his own successful blog, posts under his own name, finds out he could be in trouble because he is not a nutritionist and then finds out his newly purchased domain is penalised in Google.

Cavking

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Dec 30, 2011
South East, UK
I actually thought that post was going to be an April fool.

Post 1:"I'm going start a nutrition blog to make over $100,000. The main criteria will be: I will spend no more than $100 on a domain and will not not leverage my existing contacts."

Post 2: He then buys a domain for $1889, links from his own successful blog, posts under his own name, finds out he could be in trouble because he is not a nutritionist and then finds out his newly purchased domain is penalised in Google.

It'll be interesting to see how he gets his head out of his a$$...

Kevin Peter

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Jun 2, 2015
Dude, you are a serious disaster and a motivation at the same time. Its is lucky being in a country like yours doing small jobs and yet living peacefully.

arfadugus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 5, 2014
Congrats man!

You've made a lot of progress in less than a month. And I'm sure you've learned quite a bit as well. Keep it up!

What's next? Any plans to increase cash flow?
Well im working 7 days per week and also picked up an extra 1.5 hours each morning. The rest of my time i'm working on other goals such as learning, flexibility, hobbies, etc. Also might be moving into my bosses office which is at a house, there is a spare bedroom and might be able to stay there for free. Wont know for another 2 weeks though. Other than that I've pretty much cut out every expense that I can. Need my car for work so thats $61 dollars per month for insurance plus my cellphone bill. I may upgrade to a smartphone next month though cause it isnt much more expensive than my flipphone and I can be productive with it. Also might invest in a $300 dollar laptop to do jobs on Odesk when I have time and work on my blog. (weather it makes money or not I still want to do it) Also I may want to stay at my job for at least the rest of this year, (making good money, and taking care of an autistic child is very fullfilling) Gonna save up to live like 6 months with no job so I can work on business/ blog. (still not sure what exactly though) Or I may go to school on Pell Grants to pursue my interest in knowlege.

arfadugus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 5, 2014
Dude, you are a serious disaster and a motivation at the same time. Its is lucky being in a country like yours doing small jobs and yet living peacefully.
What do you mean exactly?

Kevin Peter

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Jun 2, 2015
Yup, in a country like India, baby sitting gets us nothing. We can never imagine to borrow money and returning it is a nightmare. Earning is dollars is a lot better than in Rupees :)

arfadugus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 5, 2014
Yup, in a country like India, baby sitting gets us nothing. We can never imagine to borrow money and returning it is a nightmare. Earning is dollars is a lot better than in Rupees :)
I caretake a Special needs kid, not babysitting.

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
Then earn in dollars. It's even easier to make money when you can leverage the change in your favor.

Bananas

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
208%
Sep 1, 2014
Texas
Just sent $3200 dollars to pay off my collections debt. Do you think I should go head on with the College debt like I did with this or just do the minimum monthly payments?

Congratulations!

I need to warn you. This $3200 was negotiated down from about $5,000 in collections correct? This means they wrote off $1800 for you.

You will have to pay income tax on that $1800 on your 2015 taxes (filed in 2016). The collection agency will send you a form called 1099-C reporting your forgiven debts as income. Here is a .gov link for you:

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1099gi.pdf

Please be prepared to take care of this as soon as you get the form in the mail. I know you mentioned working under the table so I'm guessing you aren't reporting ANYTHING right now so the amount you owe you will need to pay up, it won't be deducted from a refund. You are making great strides in this thread and the last thing you want is the FED on your back for not paying taxes, especially since you have admitted openly you are working under the table.

arfadugus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 5, 2014
Congratulations!

I need to warn you. This $3200 was negotiated down from about $5,000 in collections correct? This means they wrote off $1800 for you.

You will have to pay income tax on that $1800 on your 2015 taxes (filed in 2016). The collection agency will send you a form called 1099-C reporting your forgiven debts as income. Here is a .gov link for you:

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1099gi.pdf

Please be prepared to take care of this as soon as you get the form in the mail. I know you mentioned working under the table so I'm guessing you aren't reporting ANYTHING right now so the amount you owe you will need to pay up, it won't be deducted from a refund. You are making great strides in this thread and the last thing you want is the FED on your back for not paying taxes, especially since you have admitted openly you are working under the table.
Even if they marked it as paid in full? What if I don't receive the paper you mentioned? Also I'm gonna pay taxes at the end of the year on my job just to be safe.

Bananas

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
208%
Sep 1, 2014
Texas
Even if they marked it as paid in full? What if I don't receive the paper you mentioned? Also I'm gonna pay taxes at the end of the year on my job just to be safe.

Yes. Because money you owed was forgiven, this is considered income. Here are some more links for you:

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/forgiven-debt-1099C-income-tax-3513.php
http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/tax-consequences-settled-forgiven-debt-29792.html

What you could do is call the collections agency and ask them if they issue 1099-Cs or look on their website under the FAQ. When a 1099 is issued to a person, the issuer also forwards a copy to the IRS. This means the IRS will look for the person it was issued to to file.

arfadugus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 5, 2014
UPDATE: Just have student loan left to pay. Been making minimum monthly payments on it and saving up money for my baby that I just found out I have on the way.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.