The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The 22 books to read before you quit your job

For any book discussion

akbrouwer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, USA
So I know I don't have to tell the members of this Forum, but many people out there are getting the Entrepreneurial "itch"

They want to quit their job immediately and jump into their new venture. OR even worse.

They'll take out $100K of debt for an MBA. But still not have an ounce of practical knowledge or experience.

This totally boggles my mind.. because what they can do is read a book. or 2, or 3, or 22 or 100.

I personally read 3 books per day. 15 minutes each, for a total of 45 minutes. This helps "stir the pot" and mesh creative ideas together. Almost like a workout for the mind.

But if most people took the time to read topics on how to get where they want to go instead of dreaming about it. The world would be an amazing place.

My friend was working a dead end architecture job, but before she quit, she made a pact that she would read 22 books before she went out on her own. She still tells me today that this was the best move she's ever made.

She actually wrote a whole post on Medium about it. Listing all the books she read and why they were important. MJ's book is on this list.

The 22 Books To Read Before You Quit Your Job

What books have you read that transformed your life? (Besides Millionaire Fastlane - thats a given) ;)

Mine:
Outwitting The Devil - Napoleon Hill
BOLD- Peter Diamandis
Millionaire Fastlane - MJ
Wishes Fulfilled- Dr. Wayne Dyer
The Secret- Multiple Authors
Rich Dad Poor Dad- Robert Kiyosaki
I Will Teach You To Be Rich- Ramit Sethi

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Dinho7

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Apr 7, 2014
South Florida
The 22 Books To Read Before You Quit Your Job

Top notch list of books. I would easily trade an MBA for the knowledge gained from reading the books on that list, even when taking the student debt out of the equation. Surprised to see she left out How To Win Friends and Influence People which would be my number #1 to read.

akbrouwer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, USA
Top notch list of books. I would easily trade an MBA for the knowledge gained from reading the books on that list, even when taking the student debt out of the equation. Surprised to see she left out How To Win Friends and Influence People which would be my number #1 to read.

Thanks, I totally agree with you on knowing what's in those books over an MBA.

Win Friends and Influence People... you know... I never read that book.. and it's been coming up quite a bit recently in my life. Might be the universe trying to tell me something. Adding it to the list.

Thanks!

DtRockstar1

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Aug 21, 2015
Livonia, MI
Thank you for posting that ariticle, I just favorited it on Firefox! You can learn so much from books for a fraction of the cost of school, and you can read them at your own pace unlike school. Time to hit the bookstore!

Johnjohnson

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
May 2, 2015
Doesn't MJ despise Rich Dad Poor Dad in his book? I think he said something like "Rich Kiyosaki, Poor Sucker"

akbrouwer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, USA
Thank you for posting that ariticle, I just favorited it on Firefox! You can learn so much from books for a fraction of the cost of school, and you can read them at your own pace unlike school. Time to hit the bookstore!
Awesome! Exactly what I think. Learn something everyday.

If you're not actively applying what you've read then it's just mental masturbation.
VERY True... good thing I take action.

Doesn't MJ despise Rich Dad Poor Dad in his book? I think he said something like "Rich Kiyosaki, Poor Sucker"
I don't recall..

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
Uggh the secret is such gimmicky, marketing bullshit. It teaches you to think good thoughts but never act on anything. I do not recommend that book/movie to anyone unless they are an action-faker.

Bellini

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Mar 26, 2015
Dallas, TX
@akbrouwer - you left out the most obvious one... :)

BEFORE YOU QUIT YOUR JOB : 10 Life Lessons Every Entrepreneur Should Know
by Robert Kiyosaki

Last edited:

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
LngkQgt.jpg

carlolacson

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Mar 17, 2014
Quezon City, Philippines
So far these are the books I've read and transformed my lifestyle (2015)

1. Millionaire Fastlane
2. Thick face black heart
3. How to win friends and influence people
4. harry brown: how I found freedom in a unfree world
5. The lean startup
6. The 100$ startup
7. The monk who sold his ferrari
8. The Alchemist
9. Rich dad poor dad
10. 30 days of discipline by Victor pride
11. Shark tank jump start your business

MKHB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Jun 26, 2015

Yeah all great books, but trade an MBA for reading 22 books
Thanks, I totally agree with you on knowing what's in those books over an MBA.

Win Friends and Influence People... you know... I never read that book.. and it's been coming up quite a bit recently in my life. Might be the universe trying to tell me something. Adding it to the list.

Thanks!

I don't have an MBA, but I work with guys who have MBAs....Wharton, USC, NYU, Stanford, and some smaller schools, and they seem to do pretty well.
I have never heard any of them second their decision to go to grad school and doubt any of them would advise quitting school and going to Barnes and Noble to do independent study.

From what I have seen, it seems to be well worth the 100K.

akbrouwer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, USA
Yeah all great books, but trade an MBA for reading 22 books

I don't have an MBA, but I work with guys who have MBAs....Wharton, USC, NYU, Stanford, and some smaller schools, and they seem to do pretty well.
I have never heard any of them second their decision to go to grad school and doubt any of them would advise quitting school and going to Barnes and Noble to do independent study.

From what I have seen, it seems to be well worth the 100K.
True, I guess it all depends what you want your end result to be... me personally... an MBA will not help me run my 3 online businesses. But for them, I would imagine it helped them get to where they are...

MKHB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Jun 26, 2015
True, I guess it all depends what you want your end result to be... me personally... an MBA will not help me run my 3 online businesses. But for them, I would imagine it helped them get to where they are...

Yeah, but I think you are the exception to the rule. You have an internal engine that most don't have at your age, and this will help get you to where your going no matter what path you choose.

A majority of the other folks (myself included) - could not operate in an unstructured environment at that age.

Sometimes we get it backwards: We do more acting when young and learning when old, and for me at least, I should have reversed it. I was in such a big hurry to get done with school I couldn't see straight, both figuratively and literally.

But I do like your reading list, I would just add a couple of textbooks to it....
finance, accounting, English, algebra.

bizkitgto

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Sep 29, 2015
Uggh the secret is such gimmicky, marketing bullshit. It teaches you to think good thoughts but never act on anything. I do not recommend that book/movie to anyone unless they are an action-faker.

The Secret is gimmicky - but you can't deny the power of positive thinking. Yes, thinking happy thoughts without action is useless, but I think a sustained positive attitude with ACTION can reap dividends. Is it worth reading...no, but the movie (even a 10 minute youtube clip) might help you when you're feeling down and reignite your passion and get you off your a$$!

akbrouwer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, USA
but the movie (even a 10 minute youtube clip) might help you when you're feeling down and reignite your passion and get you off your a$$!

^THIS^
anything to put you in a positive state that allows you to do your absolute best work.

OscarDeuce

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Nov 28, 2014
Northern Virginia

The Secret was a blatant rip-off of a woman who claims she got the material from an "invisible friend" named Abraham. The Abraham material was a fairly blatant rip-off of Think and Grow Rich. Unfortunately, both the Abraham stuff and The Secret (apparently-never read it) leave out a critically important part of the Think and Grow Rich philosophy - action. In Think and Grow Rich, Napoleon Hill emphasizes one must figure out what one is going to give in return for riches - in other words, what action one is going to take to get money. These later books teach that thinking about what you want is enough and that somehow it will just magically happen.

Cheers,
O-2

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
Napoleon Hill emphasizes one must figure out what one is going to give in return for riches - in other words, what action one is going to take to get money.

Buutttt...if I take action - that means hard work and long hours.

It's easier to just keep wishing and thinking for wealth!

No wonder the general public ate it up.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
No wonder the general public ate it up.

Its the path of least resistance. How to do next to bugger all and fulfil your dreams.

Olavi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
May 31, 2015
Windhoek, Namibia
Am currently reading The 48 Laws Power, real interesting...
I wanted to ask, how can i increase my reading, while taking in as much information as possible?

The list of books are pilling up for me.

imskp5

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 19, 2013
How do you read 3 books a day? 15 minutes a book! what is the process you take to read a book so fast.kindly reply,Thanks

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.