The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How do i learn how to code?

G

Guest34764

I've been learning from codeacademy.It's pretty solid with my only complaint that the Java course is pretty small,but i think that's due to it being a new course.If you want to learn Java i'd recommend something like codeschool or really anything else.I'm just about to start coding my first lil app on android :D My only problem is not having a real grasp on java yet.Though Javascript helps a bit when i compare the two.You know a website is easy if a kid can follow it.If you're under 21 like someone said,LEARN IT.All the young folk like me should learn even a little bit of it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SenGracic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 12, 2015
Canada
Like @sija1 said to me : It's all about understanding the basics of how it works, the logic behind coding, practice,practice,practice and Google.

I will apply it.

PS: it's my 3rd attempt, coding is a motherf*cker for a beginner but don't give up like I did because you have to re-learn everything you have learned before because you will not remember it if you didn't practice long enough.

sija1

Turning Coffee Into Code
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Jun 20, 2015
Quebec, Canada
Like @sija1 said to me : It's all about understanding the basics of how it works, the logic behind coding, practice,practice,practice and Google.

I will apply it.

PS: it's my 3rd attempt, coding is a motherf*cker for a beginner but don't give up like I did because you have to re-learn everything you have learned before because you will not remember it if you didn't practice long enough.

From this day forward, Google is yo best friend :cool:

I ćevapi :D

Nur

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Apr 4, 2014

I will apply it.

Yup coding is hard... Tried many times i mean many

G

GuestUser305

Hey guys, my first post here. Just finish the book and it has definitely changed my life. I have great tech ideas but no programming skills. I don't want to outsource, this knowledge is important to me. So whats the best way to learn how to code to create websites? Thanks in advance.

Bro the easiest way to code, in my opinion, is to use python. It is super easy and straightforward! When you want to build a website there is an awesome and quite easy webframework called django. Someone suggested using angular js but since it is asynchronous and has stuff like two way data binding I think it is way too complex for a beginner. If you want to design your website there is twitter bootstrap. This is a framework where you can easely design your website with out knowing much about css and such. If you want it even easier go to bootsnipp. There are many bootstrap snippets which you can use for your website! If you want just simple things like a blog or something like that, go with wordpress. It is a what do you see is what you get editor for creating your own website and it has awesome free designing themes and is super easy to learn! I wish you the best luck with your internet businesses! Oh and something else, if you have users that sign up and eventually log in to your website, make sure to NEVER EVER save their passwords in plain in your database!

Last edited by a moderator:

nordien1978

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Apr 5, 2013
Hello Jahvon,

There are many languages you can learn for website building that are useful.

www.w3schools.com has tutorials in all kind of languages for Free.
www.udemy.com

But the basics are handy to know like HTML and CSS for static website design.
With PHP or Python and other languages you can make the website more interactive and dynamic with potential users.

Programming is all about poking the system to see what your code does and trying from different angles :)
And if your stack there are websites like www.stackoverflow.com where people place there issues on the forum.

Hope this helped you a little bit in your search in web development :)

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
I'd recommend Code Academy, it's a good place to start. To expand a little, there are lots of resources on learning how to code, you don't need to pay anything to learn the basics, or in fact anything. You can find free courses on Coursera and MIT Open Courseware that teach both the technical and the theoretical. If you would like to pay, I'd recommend a site like Pluraldight or Lynda - sites that offer access to training videos. Also, get an account on Git Hub.

I think I need to write a "So you want to learn to code" post.

Nur

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Apr 4, 2014
I'd recommend Code Academy, it's a good place to start. To expand a little, there are lots of resources on learning how to code, you don't need to pay anything to learn the basics, or in fact anything. You can find free courses on Coursera and MIT Open Courseware that teach both the technical and the theoretical. If you would like to pay, I'd recommend a site like Pluraldight or Lynda - sites that offer access to training videos. Also, get an account on Git Hub.

I think I need to write a "So you want to learn to code" post.

looking forward to that - by a pro in the field for many years (fundamental doesn't change does it?)

Alan LT

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Nov 1, 2014
South Florida
I've been learning from codeacademy.It's pretty solid with my only complaint that the Java course is pretty small,but i think that's due to it being a new course.If you want to learn Java i'd recommend something like codeschool or really anything else.I'm just about to start coding my first lil app on android :D My only problem is not having a real grasp on java yet.Though Javascript helps a bit when i compare the two.You know a website is easy if a kid can follow it.If you're under 21 like someone said,LEARN IT.All the young folk like me should learn even a little bit of it.
Java is very annoying, but once you understand what exactly does what, everything will start to click. I just started learning it too & I use YouTube and stack overflow as my resource.

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
Java is very annoying, but once you understand what exactly does what, everything will start to click. I just started learning it too & I use YouTube and stack overflow as my resource.

@Alan LT @sija1 @Omega

Java is a dead language. It's stagnated over the years and ever since Oracle bought out Sun, they have done little to improve it. In fact, there are some nasty rumors they are trying to kill the language. There are exactly 2 times I'd recommend you learn Java. The first is Android development, which I know is what @Omega is doing. The second is when you're trying to get a (slowlane) job. Although in that case, I'd probably recommend you use C#. MIcrosoft has some incredibly skilled and intelligent language designers working for them, and Visual Studio is one of the best IDEs out there (Eclipse's glory days are over).

If people want to know what languages I'd recommend, they would by Python, Clojure, Elixir, C#, F#, and Ruby. (Javascript/HTML/CSS is assumed by default).

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
Yes meteor is really awesome too! So much is getting handled for you :D

The issue I have with Meteor is the same issue I have with Angular - it's all or nothing. Trying to go outside the framework is a pain. Although, before learning ANY JS framework, people need to know Javascript itself.

Alan LT

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Nov 1, 2014
South Florida
@Alan LT @sija1 @Omega

Java is a dead language. It's stagnated over the years and ever since Oracle bought out Sun, they have done little to improve it. In fact, there are some nasty rumors they are trying to kill the language. There are exactly 2 times I'd recommend you learn Java. The first is Android development, which I know is what @Omega is doing. The second is when you're trying to get a (slowlane) job. Although in that case, I'd probably recommend you use C#. MIcrosoft has some incredibly skilled and intelligent language designers working for them, and Visual Studio is one of the best IDEs out there (Eclipse's glory days are over).

If people want to know what languages I'd recommend, they would by Python, Clojure, Elixir, C#, F#, and Ruby. (Javascript/HTML/CSS is assumed by default).
I'm learning it for android development. I'll surely look into the languages you listed; I'm already good with the defaults.

ilrein

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 1, 2012
The issue I have with Meteor is the same issue I have with Angular - it's all or nothing. Trying to go outside the framework is a pain. Although, before learning ANY JS framework, people need to know Javascript itself.

I would disagree with this.

Comparing Meteor to Angular is apples to oranges.

One is a fullstack solution with everything out of the box, the other is only a front-end solution.

Since the former is fullstack, one can swap out the default templating mechanism (Blaze) and sub-in Angular or React. Learning Angular or React has applications across any sort of backend (PHP, Ruby, Python, etc), since they are just front-end solutions.

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
I would disagree with this.

Comparing Meteor to Angular is apples to oranges.

One is a fullstack solution with everything out of the box, the other is only a front-end solution.

Since the former is fullstack, one can swap out the default templating mechanism (Blaze) and sub-in Angular or React. Learning Angular or React has applications across any sort of backend (PHP, Ruby, Python, etc), since they are just front-end solutions.

Fair enough.

sija1

Turning Coffee Into Code
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Jun 20, 2015
Quebec, Canada
@Alan LT @sija1 @Omega

It is not a dead language. It is declining, I agree, but saying it is dead is just a rumor. There are still a lot of devices which run Java, not to mention Android phones (well you did already) and since it's update to Java 8 it even got some aspects of functional programming. It is not so simple to kill off a language, Even COBOL is still around. It is just a normal cycle for each language and everything else for that matter. You can't stay on the top forever.

I am not trying to learn Java, I studied Java in college and I can't say that I regret it. It gave me great knowledge of OOP in general which was highly useful when I started with C# and VB. That's why I can't stress enough the importance of understanding principal concepts of a language to those who are starting to learn - if Java dies, it is lot easier to switch to C#, for example, if you know from the start what is an object or what are access modifiers.

I am not completely disagreeing with you, but I don't agree 100% either.

Panamera Turbo S

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Feb 24, 2015

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
It's dead from the perspective that many software related startups choose not to use it. Square is built entirely in Ruby. Twitter started in Ruby, and migrated to Scala. Facebook is PHP. Instagram uses Python. It has a large install base in corporations, so learning it is a good idea in that it will help you find a job when you need one.

I'll agree learning core computer science notions is an excellent idea (my degree is in CS). I do believe that if someone wants to excel as a programmer, that information is invaluable.

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
I paid $300 for code that would have taken me 80+ hours of learning, reading, then trial and error testing to get right because it was a new concept to me.

Look at the time to reward scale on that. Because this person has 20+ years of experience they finished it in 11.5 hours.
Ha tell me about it, that's why I don't want to outsource. The way technology is advancing, in the future not knowing at least the basics of coding could be a big disadvantage.
This is actually a bigger reason to outsource. With the rise of good coders the job pool grows smaller. This is why code is so cheap now days.

Learn the very basics, then learn how to manage projects. It will be much more useful as an Entrepreneur. When you grow it will no longer be just you coding. (How I started.)

Look at it as being the architect instead of the builder. OR being both, which will end up draining you, trust me.

EDIT:

Also, to add more scale to my $300 cost, I sold the end product for $3,800.

SenGracic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 12, 2015
Canada
I paid $300 for code that would have taken me 80+ hours of learning, reading, then trial and error testing to get right because it was a new concept to me.

Look at the time to reward scale on that. Because this person has 20+ years of experience they finished it in 11.5 hours.

This is actually a bigger reason to outsource. With the rise of good coders the job pool grows smaller. This is why code is so cheap now days.

Learn the very basics, then learn how to manage projects. It will be much more useful as an Entrepreneur. When you grow it will no longer be just you coding. (How I started.)

Look at it as being the architect instead of the builder. OR being both, which will end up draining you, trust me.

EDIT:

Also, to add more scale to my $300 cost, I sold the end product for $3,800.
@sija1 this is what I was talking about... You "polish" your product afterwards instead of doing everything from the ground up.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

ilrein

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 1, 2012
In parallel to what @DaRK9 said, it's not worth it to learn to code unless you have a longterm vision for it. Focus on economics, marketing, sales, and leverage the talent pool of outsourced development to progress.

If I were to guess, I would expect DaRK is probably over 30 years of age.

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
In parallel to what @DaRK9 said, it's not worth it to learn to code unless you have a longterm vision for it

Even if you have along term vision, you still want to learn marketing and sales.

Last edited by a moderator:

sija1

Turning Coffee Into Code
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Jun 20, 2015
Quebec, Canada
It's dead from the perspective that many software related startups choose not to use it. Square is built entirely in Ruby. Twitter started in Ruby, and migrated to Scala. Facebook is PHP. Instagram uses Python. It has a large install base in corporations, so learning it is a good idea in that it will help you find a job when you need one.

I'll agree learning core computer science notions is an excellent idea (my degree is in CS). I do believe that if someone wants to excel as a programmer, that information is invaluable.

Then we understand each other perfectly.

@SenGracic Still you need to know how to code to polish it. You can't polish what you don't understand.

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
Then we understand each other perfectly.

@SenGracic Still you need to know how to code to polish it. You can't polish what you don't understand.
No I don't. I just pay someone to fix what I don't like.

Crissco

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 3, 2015
New York
There are tons of resources out there..Codea Academy, W3Schools and my favorite so far...http://www.freecodecamp.com - Its a very long course, its actually more of a class. You learn the MEAN Stack...Mongo DB, Ember.JS, Angualr.JS, and Node.JS - As well as basic HTML/CSS/Bootstrap.

David Young

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Jun 1, 2015
I would personally start at other. Get the business plan sorted and from this sketch out the minimum viable product you need to test the ideal - which I guess is some sort of website with various functionality. It is quite likely that there is a CMS such as Wordpress (in conjunction with associated widget and plugins) that could get you up and running in a reasonable time and minimal cost. If initial feedback is positive then you decide where to invest your time and money- if no then you haven't wasted a great deal.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.