The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Skinnybrown: From Rags to Riches

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Bellini

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Mar 26, 2015
Dallas, TX
Thank you! I already have the book and read it. That's what brought me here!

If you want to get your badge so people don't keep asking you if you've read the book - go to this link: :) (I was about to ask you too)

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/ive-read-the-the-millionaire-fastlane.28234/

Is your avatar from 'Hook'?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:
G

GuestUser149

Last edited by a moderator:

Erin

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Sep 28, 2015
Enjoyed reading this, have you bagged that first sale ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

DamienP

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Sep 27, 2015
UK
I have an IG following of 5,000+. I thought that would be enough to generate something. My site only got 50 unique views so I am definitely doing something wrong.

I need to think of additional ways to get myself in front of the market...

I am not entirely sure how to get sales moving forward tbh. I am thinking / researching this one out...

Thank you for the great questions!

I have always found Instagram followers to be browsers, not buyers, and like Twitter fans, they will follow anything. I might get flamed for that viewpoint but that's my findings. It may be different if you have a massive account, like 50k plus, but that's just a case of throwing enough shit at the wall and seeing what sticks.

Facebook ads are great. Just watch your cost per conversion. Cost per click is irrelevant in most cases.

G

GuestUser149

Enjoyed reading this, have you bagged that first sale?

Thank you, Erin! No sales outside friends and family. I made some fundamental mistakes which I will discuss below!

I have always found Instagram followers to be browsers, not buyers, and like Twitter fans, they will follow anything. I might get flamed for that viewpoint but that's my findings. It may be different if you have a massive account, like 50k plus, but that's just a case of throwing enough shit at the wall and seeing what sticks.

Facebook ads are great. Just watch your cost per conversion. Cost per click is irrelevant in most cases.

I definitely need to explore both more to have an opinion on this. Thank you for the insight!

Update October 11th, 2015.

Disclaimer: I am extremely positive and love life. Anything I write about here is in the spirit of transparency because I want to help other entrepreneurs who are starting out hopefully avoid the mistakes I've made =)

My company is broke right now. Here is why:

For starters, I didn't do any financial planning and just jumped straight in. Yes, taking action is great but you need to do prep work. Running out of liquid cash is the worst thing that can happen. I definitely made some non-value add emotional purchases that I shouldn't have. For example:

I believe in what I am doing so much and have an incredible domain name. I truly think this will blow up. One day I thought of another similar domain name and thought "Oh man, someone could buy this name and copy what I do!" I quickly looked and the name was already purchased! Oh, no! Guess what? It was available for sale for $1,350. Guess what? I bought it. This is without even having my own sales, lol. Maybe this is so dumb no one else would make a mistake like this. Maybe not. I don't know. The lesson I learned though is that when you are an entrepreneur know that it is an emotional roller coaster and avoid making irrational decisions based on these emotions. Having a plan really helps wth that.

The above mistake doesn't upset me as much as this one. Branding and marketing. Basically, I have a sick idea and how I can really differentiate myself is my branding because all other competitors are doing the same exact BS. No heart. No soul. There is a huge gap for me but I rushed it all, threw up a website, and slammed out some products as quickly as possible. Argggh. No matter how good your idea is take your time and do it right.

Those are two main lessons I have learned. Many more to come I am sure!

Right now, I am re-focusing on my strategy and am going to do this much much better the second time around.

Any questions? (I love you all)

Edit: Oh yeah, forgot a big one. I rushed production by trying to do what was cheapest and easiest (complete fullfillment company) but gave up a ton of control. Learned that lesson quickly because friends and family got less than stellar product. This next time around I am going to do a lot more inhouse.

Erin

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Sep 28, 2015
Thanks for the update , I am a classic lurker and complete noob. I would like to say that maybe a blog or YouTube journal on your start up and monetize it. I enjoy your journey and style , I think others would as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

G

GuestUser149

Update November 8th, 2015.

Holy shit, where has this year gone?

Anyways, my business progress has slowed down dramatically due to my day job BUT that is OK. Here's why.

Long story short, I am CRUSHSAUCING it because I am the hardest working most positive son-of-a-gun the world has ever seen.

I am the first in my family to go to college. I am the first in my family to get a masters degree. I am the first in my family to be a CPA.

Do you want to know where to find me? Easy. Just look for the hardest working mofo in the room. lol.

Anyways, I straight up started in customer support (yes answering the phones and talking with mad people all day) and in less than 8 months was offered a SICK sales position on a brand new flagship product.

Is this fastlane? Obviously not. Don't worry my friends. This job offers a lot of potential actually.

For starters, I am learning about sales. That is huge obv.

Also, since I am straight crushing work and have a lot of experience of crushing life when you are the first in your family to do so I am now thinking about teaching others to do the same.

I'm straight free styling right now.

Sitting at my home after getting my shit set up for the week - sipping tea - and about to head to the gym.

It is a beautiful day in San Francisco so I want to ride my scooter around and feel that breeze and sunshine.

Even more crazy. I am an alcoholic. I was straight up in the gutter 6 months ago and now I'm crushing life. Another business idea there.

Anyways, All I really hope is that you guys and girls are all happy.

Please make sure to crush everything you do. Don't focus on the fast lane so much your eating like shit and not exercising. Don't worry about being rich so much that you treat your GF like poop and don't give her quality attention and communication.

If you wanna crush life stop worrying about money then all of a sudden that shit finds you no joke.

Seriously.

Like I am 100% serious.

I just stopped caring and was like fck it. I am just going to crush life and help people and be the nicest mther fcker there ever was.

Oh you dropped a quarter? Let me pick up that for you with a smile and say excuse me ma'am you dropped this quarter. I'd hate for you to lose it in case it is lucky. lol.

Oh, the elevator is crammed and I see you out my peripheral vision as the door closing? Don't worry, I am straight sticking my arm out with hesitation and making sure you can get in. I got you. Life is good. Don't worry about everyone else in here in a rush. They don't get it.

Boom. Want this sick sales role? Yes, sir. Double my salary and lets start moving product $on.

Every day these cats come in and there is skinnybrown straight grinding with his tea and coconut oil.

I don't need Adderall. I am high on life bruh.

Outwit, outlast, outplay.

Anyways, I am on the right track. My mind is open and I am taking it all in one day at a time. Not looking to change things over night. Just tooking to be the best me and improve every day.

Bottom line, watch this thread because one day will be my day and I am going to blow up.

And you can say...

Shit - I knew skinnybrown when he was hustlin' the streets. [HASHTAG]#madrespect[/HASHTAG]

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.