The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How To Be The Boss

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

SenGracic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 12, 2015
Canada
Impressed. I hope he continues to encourage his kid to pursue that kind of mindset.
I would love to see his teachers reaction when they ask him what he wants to do when older haha

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I love this. I'm a little different with my kids, but I'm teaching them the value of money, and what its like to have a business (vs earning a paycheck).

I pay them $2 to fold laundry - takes them an hour.
I also help them sell cookies - they make $15 an hour or so selling cookies. My oldest raised enough money to buy a $100 toy that she wanted by selling cookies.

A week or two ago, I had the following conversation with my then 7 year old:
Daughter: "Dad, why would I work for just $2 an hour when I could sell cookies and make a lot more?"
Me: "first, because I told you to fold clothes, and I'm just happening to also give you $2 for the task, but mainly because of something else. Which activity has more value in it, folding clothes or selling cookies?"
Daughter: "Selling cookies does."
Me: "Youre right, but why?"
Daughter: "because I'm cute and happy and I make people smile when I sell them cookies. And the cookies taste good."

She's well on her way.

dlpatterson08

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Oct 1, 2015
Tennessee
I love this. I'm a little different with my kids, but I'm teaching them the value of money, and what its like to have a business (vs earning a paycheck).

I pay them $2 to fold laundry - takes them an hour.
I also help them sell cookies - they make $15 an hour or so selling cookies. My oldest raised enough money to buy a $100 toy that she wanted by selling cookies.

A week or two ago, I had the following conversation with my then 7 year old:
Daughter: "Dad, why would I work for just $2 an hour when I could sell cookies and make a lot more?"
Me: "first, because I told you to fold clothes, and I'm just happening to also give you $2 for the task, but mainly because of something else. Which activity has more value in it, folding clothes or selling cookies?"
Daughter: "Selling cookies does."
Me: "Youre right, but why?"
Daughter: "because I'm cute and happy and I make people smile when I sell them cookies. And the cookies taste good."

She's well on her way.

That's awesome! That's exactly the kind of stuff I plan on teaching my kids. You can work for someone or you can have people work for you! It's very amazing she's picked that up by 7 years old. Great parenting for sure. Most people never pick up that concept in their entire life. Keep up the good work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
That's awesome! That's exactly the kind of stuff I plan on teaching my kids. You can work for someone or you can have people work for you! It's very amazing she's picked that up by 7 years old. Great parenting for sure. Most people never pick up that concept in their entire life. Keep up the good work.

Thanks...yeah, I'm continually amazed at how smart kids are. They pick up on so much stuff, its crazy. (They also pick up on the bad habits I have too, so... :)

dlpatterson08

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Oct 1, 2015
Tennessee
Thanks...yeah, I'm continually amazed at how smart kids are. They pick up on so much stuff, its crazy. (They also pick up on the bad habits I have too, so... :)

That's for sure! I've got to be careful about that too. My kids are 22 months and 6 months! So very soon I'm gonna have them repeating me.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
That's for sure! I've got to be careful about that too. My kids are 22 months and 6 months! So very soon I'm gonna have them repeating me.

The first time I realized this was when my then 2 1/2 year old tripped over something in the garage and yelled, 'Dammit!'

Now who would she have gotten that from? :-/

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

dlpatterson08

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Oct 1, 2015
Tennessee
The first time I realized this was when my then 2 1/2 year old tripped over something in the garage and yelled, 'Dammit!'

Now who would she have gotten that from? :-/
Yeah. I'm about to have to watch what I say. My oldest is starting to repeat me.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.