The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

You are doing market research all wrong - This is the one thing you have missed

Marketing, social media, advertising

Developmental

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
403%
Oct 10, 2014
Nottingham, UK
Ok, you probably aren't doing it ALL wrong, I needed a juicy title to get you to click, just keep reading, you won't be disappointed...

I've spent a lot of time today on the internet chatting to people. Not business people, just regular people. It hasn't cost me a penny.

I'm building a service / community website - a paid service where I can leverage the skills of a group of experts to help the rest of the community in a way that has not been done before

Today I have spent hours on a competitor's website, I have a regular user account and I have been chatting to other users and I have got so much useful information out of it (more on this later) but the important thing is I haven't messaged anyone saying "umm hi, I'm starting a business doing xyz, can I ask you some questions?"

No, What I have done is find the "power users", the users that obviously use the site often, the ones that interact most frequently (afterall, it is these types of people that are going to have the strongest opinion, and given that they are power users of a competitors site, they are obviously sold on something that they are offering, so if you can find out what frustrates these people then you are on to a winner)

no one is going to reply to you if you just send them a questionnaire (well, they might but its unlikely). I send these people a message saying "hey, I'm just starting out in xyz, I can see that you are a bit of an expert in xyz, do you mind if I pick your brains? - do you mainly do xyz online or offline?"

This is going to get you much better information, everyone likes to hand out advice and if you recognise someone's expertise they will be more than happy to supply it. Engage them in conversation, 50% of what you talk about might be completely unrelated to what you want to find out but the other 50% will be the gold you are after. Everything is a value exchange, even conversations.

Ask someone to fill out a survey and they often put the "correct" answer. Engage them in conversation and you can figure out what they are actually thinking.

Secondly, the responses you get from the people you talk to can help you out with copywriting. You hear the words and the phrases used by your target demographic when talking about what interests them. So not only can you find out what they are struggling/are frustrated with, but you can get the words and phrases used to sell them on it.

Actually speaking to real people can be a huge eye opener - be honest now, how many business ideas have you come up with that you just knew were going to be a success? you didn't even need to ask anyone because you knew it was so awesome - well I'l afraid this is the easiest way to fail at business. Just because you think it is awesome doesn't mean that anyone else will. Get other peoples opinions, you might just find a new angle that will work well for you, you might find that your idea is a bad one and save yourself a lot of money or you might just reinforce the plan you currently have but gain a valuable insight into the words and phrases your customers use when talking about your product/service.

How can you apply this? find someone that is dealing with your pain point and ask them how they overcame it - but do it honestly, they are the expert, you are the noob asking for advice. Pose it that way and you will come away with some great info. - Want to sell a new design of golf club? go out and find an avid golfer and ask them for their advice as you are just starting out in golf, then move the conversation around to what you want to get out of them. Planning a new online marketplace to compete with eBay? (good luck) go out and find people that have stuff to sell and ask them how they are so successful selling stuff online (even if they aren't) want to sell a new cleaning product? go online and find a forum for discussing these topics (I guarantee you a forum exists for practically anything, if there isn't one, it may mean there isn't a market for your product) and pick people's brains.

Go out and talk to people about their problems and their successes - I've come away with some gold today and I'm sure you will too if you ask!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Yes, I've found also that method usually gets you kicked out or suspended for spam sending them messages. I will talk to them in forums, but I don't need to be evicted from sites.

Developmental

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
403%
Oct 10, 2014
Nottingham, UK
That's not quite what I'm trying to get at, I'm saying to cherry pick a handful of users at first to talk to and actually have a conversation with them - not a "I'm starting a business, please answer my survey"

Sending out 100 copy-and-paste messages is going flag up on the system and won't end well but having a chat with a few people won't be a problem

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Ok, you probably aren't doing it ALL wrong, I needed a juicy title to get you to click, just keep reading, you won't be disappointed...

I've spent a lot of time today on the internet chatting to people. Not business people, just regular people. It hasn't cost me a penny.

I'm building a service / community website - a paid service where I can leverage the skills of a group of experts to help the rest of the community in a way that has not been done before

Today I have spent hours on a competitor's website, I have a regular user account and I have been chatting to other users and I have got so much useful information out of it (more on this later) but the important thing is I haven't messaged anyone saying "umm hi, I'm starting a business doing xyz, can I ask you some questions?"

No, What I have done is find the "power users", the users that obviously use the site often, the ones that interact most frequently (afterall, it is these types of people that are going to have the strongest opinion, and given that they are power users of a competitors site, they are obviously sold on something that they are offering, so if you can find out what frustrates these people then you are on to a winner)

no one is going to reply to you if you just send them a questionnaire (well, they might but its unlikely). I send these people a message saying "hey, I'm just starting out in xyz, I can see that you are a bit of an expert in xyz, do you mind if I pick your brains? - do you mainly do xyz online or offline?"

This is going to get you much better information, everyone likes to hand out advice and if you recognise someone's expertise they will be more than happy to supply it. Engage them in conversation, 50% of what you talk about might be completely unrelated to what you want to find out but the other 50% will be the gold you are after. Everything is a value exchange, even conversations.

Ask someone to fill out a survey and they often put the "correct" answer. Engage them in conversation and you can figure out what they are actually thinking.

Secondly, the responses you get from the people you talk to can help you out with copywriting. You hear the words and the phrases used by your target demographic when talking about what interests them. So not only can you find out what they are struggling/are frustrated with, but you can get the words and phrases used to sell them on it.

Actually speaking to real people can be a huge eye opener - be honest now, how many business ideas have you come up with that you just knew were going to be a success? you didn't even need to ask anyone because you knew it was so awesome - well I'l afraid this is the easiest way to fail at business. Just because you think it is awesome doesn't mean that anyone else will. Get other peoples opinions, you might just find a new angle that will work well for you, you might find that your idea is a bad one and save yourself a lot of money or you might just reinforce the plan you currently have but gain a valuable insight into the words and phrases your customers use when talking about your product/service.

How can you apply this? find someone that is dealing with your pain point and ask them how they overcame it - but do it honestly, they are the expert, you are the noob asking for advice. Pose it that way and you will come away with some great info. - Want to sell a new design of golf club? go out and find an avid golfer and ask them for their advice as you are just starting out in golf, then move the conversation around to what you want to get out of them. Planning a new online marketplace to compete with eBay? (good luck) go out and find people that have stuff to sell and ask them how they are so successful selling stuff online (even if they aren't) want to sell a new cleaning product? go online and find a forum for discussing these topics (I guarantee you a forum exists for practically anything, if there isn't one, it may mean there isn't a market for your product) and pick people's brains.

Go out and talk to people about their problems and their successes - I've come away with some gold today and I'm sure you will too if you ask!
Nice. Yes. Just talk to people, and just be nice about it. So few people get asked how their day is going, or how business is going.

From the day I joined TFLF I would send a quick PM to anyone who might have sent me rep or followed me.

I'd say "thanks" and then ask them how they were finding the forum (if they were new) or how their business was going (if I could work it out from their posts).

It's such a small gesture, but I've had some great little conversations, and I've been humbled and surprised at the effect it's had on other people.

You'll be surprised where a bit of manners and genuine interest will get you.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Nice. Yes. Just talk to people, and just be nice about it. So few people get asked how their day is going, or how business is going.

From the day I joined TFLF I would send a quick PM to anyone who might have sent me rep or followed me.

I'd say "thanks" and then ask them how they were finding the forum (if they were new) or how their business was going (if I could work it out from their posts).

It's such a small gesture, but I've had some great little conversations, and I've been humbled and surprised at the effect it's had on other people.

You'll be surprised where a bit of manners and genuine interest will get you.
I was the recipient of one of those 'howdy' messages, and I really appreciated it.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I was the recipient of one of those 'howdy' messages, and I really appreciated it.
There you go. :)

Thanks for chiming in Jon.

In case anyone wants proof of the humbling effect of simply saying hello and asking people how they're doing, then just read this post.

All I did was say thanks to whoever gave me rep, or followed me, and then ask them how their day or business was going.

Little bites, and you end up eating an elephant this size without realising it:

ZrCEKp2.png

@Developmental

Thank you. I'm so glad you've created this thread.

Not only do I think it makes perfect sense to talk to people instead of "survey" them, but I've been meaning to write something about the experience of treating people as people instead of clicks, visitors, leads, or prospects.

@Everyone

Do you really subscribe to @IceCreamKid view of the world in his astonishing secrets thread?

Do you love your fellow man enough to do things for them first without expecting something in return?

You hear of giving to receive.

Of adding value to make money.

That money is proof you've helped your fellow man.

Would you hold a door open for someone because you want to make their day easier?

Would you do it because you enjoy their smile and thanks?

Or would you do it because you really want to have a conversation with them?

Did you help your fellow man because it was a "trip-wire"?

Are you adding value to forums because it's a great way of "generating leads"?

Seriously, just talk to people.

Find it genuinely interesting, because it is.

There's something to learn from every interaction.

Be good. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
There you go. :)

Thanks for chiming in Jon.

In case anyone wants proof of the humbling effect of simply saying hello and asking people how they're doing, then just read this post.

All I did was say thanks to whoever gave me rep, or followed me, and then ask them how their day or business was going.

Little bites, and you end up eating an elephant this size without realising it:

ZrCEKp2.png

@Developmental

Thank you. I'm so glad you've created this thread.

Not only do I think it makes perfect sense to talk to people instead of "survey" them, but I've been meaning to write something about the experience of treating people as people instead of clicks, visitors, leads, or prospects.

@Everyone

Do you really subscribe to @IceCreamKid view of the world in his astonishing secrets thread?

Do you love your fellow man enough to do things for them first without expecting something in return?

You hear of giving to receive.

Of adding value to make money.

That money is proof you've helped your fellow man.

Would you hold a door open for someone because you want to make their day easier?

Would you do it because you enjoy their smile and thanks?

Or would you do it because you actually want to have a conversation with them?

Did you help your fellow man because it was a "trip-wire"?

Are you adding value to forums because it's a great way of "generating leads"?

Seriously, just talk to people.

Find it genuinely interesting, because it is.

There's something to learn from every interaction.

Be good. :)

This was my favorite part of the 'welcome the new Mod' post:

Andy's contributions here are legendary, and he excels where we are weak, including :
1. online marketing skills
2. being nice
3. being pragmatic
4. being a peacemaker

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Please SEARCH before posting.