The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I quit!

RamEri475

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Sep 16, 2015
Texas
Why is it that people just give up on trying to accomplish or get something done when it gets a little hard?

Like today for example while I was working I made a mistake. And my mistake turned a 2hrs job into a 4hrs job. And I admit that it got me down for a bit but the damage is done and now its time to fix my mistake and all was good for me.

But my coworker on the other hand didn't handle it so well. At first he was angry he was cursing like a sailor and was throwing tools around. He kept saying "This shit always goes wrong" and "I'm tired of this shit". He kept talking about just walking off and never coming back. He later just said "F*ck it I don't care anymore and sat doing nothing for about 2hrs.

It just seemed weird to me how it wasn't his fault yet he reacted way more than me. And most of my coworkers are like this. As soon as it gets a little difficult they are at the point of quitting. I guess this is why they are destined to be employees for the rest of their lives. Because if they don't learn from their mistakes they will never become successful.

Have you ever been in a situation wear everyone quits it almost make you want to quit as well?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

D11FYY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Mar 13, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
Why is it that people just give up on trying to accomplish or get something done when it gets a little hard?

Like today for example while I was working I made a mistake. And my mistake turned a 2hrs job into a 4hrs job. And I admit that it got me down for a bit but the damage is done and now its time to fix my mistake and all was good for me.

But my coworker on the other hand didn't handle it so well. At first he was angry he was cursing like a sailor and was throwing tools around. He kept saying "This shit always goes wrong" and "I'm tired of this shit". He kept talking about just walking off and never coming back. He later just said "F*ck it I don't care anymore and sat doing nothing for about 2hrs.

It just seemed weird to me how it wasn't his fault yet he reacted way more than me. And most of my coworkers are like this. As soon as it gets a little difficult they are at the point of quitting. I guess this is why they are destined to be employees for the rest of their lives. Because if they don't learn from their mistakes they will never become successful.

Have you ever been in a situation wear everyone quits it almost make you want to quit as well?
There comes a time in life when you've had enough of quitting and failures, where you somehow decide to stick with something or look at it diffrentley than previous.
This is a major cross roads in anyones life .. However some just dont even make it out of their own street to get to the cross roads.

yoyo

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 19, 2015
China
Good question, but may I ask one more? If what you are doing is the one you don't like? Actually I'm doing a job I don't like very much, moreover, I don't think I've learnt enough things for 3 months work, then need I to keep doing this job?

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
Maybe they see themselves as a team while you see yourself as an individual working in a company. A team members fails and the whole team fails.... while you look at it as ...well I'm an individual .... so its not my problem (or in this case... not their problem).

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
I take it they are paid by the hour. Mistakes only cost the company in most cases.

A friend of mine owns a high end joinery shop. I'm always amazed at the mistakes the staff make and they don't bat an eyelid. Mistakes that sometimes cost him £1000's in time, materials and labour.

contract

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Dec 29, 2013
This is normal.

Management doesn't care about optimizing the process/improving it.

Worker gets frustrated by things he can't change but wants to change.

Blows off some steam to be heard or secretly keeps quiet.

When he realizes he doesn't have the balls to do anything about it, he goes right back to his work.

Sometimes management isn't even the problem. Here's where laziness/effort comes into play.

He doesn't want to do what he's paid to do, but he realizes he has no choice.

EmperorPear

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Aug 15, 2014
Bor, Serbia

I always find being the last man standing a motivation factor. I'm like "Ok, the kiddies have left and recess is over. Let's get shit done and show them a thing or two."

But, regarding your colleauges, that's their mindset showing. They're just being hysterical sissies.

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
I experience this quite a bit, because I tend to put myself in this position. I've alluded to it several times on this forum, but I am a software developer, and my job consists of me building web things. Recently, I started building a website in a new language (F# for those interested) and within a few hours, I felt like giving up because it wasn't as smooth as doing it in other languages. I also had this experience when using Justinmind to do some wireframing.

I've trained myself to recognize this (I call it mind sludge) and just work through that shit.

EmperorPear

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Aug 15, 2014
Bor, Serbia
@Delmania
Lol, I call it Inertia/Atrophy. Experience it all the time I start doing something new. But it's like a giant stone sphere: A lot of effort in the beginning for a small amount of headway, but as you progress, it goes faster and easier.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
People in your situation get frustrated because your working with a group of people and what other people do and say is out of their control. And stress is on them from someone above them, so even if it isn't there fault, the higher up tells them it is their fault. And some personalities are hard to deal with than others. There's sometimes I've been with people who are just stubborn and know it all's and I had to be patient and allow them to screw up because they need to and wouldn't take my word for it.

I suppose the right thing would have been to go have his pity party in the bathroom or away from the rest of the group so the negativity didn't wear off on the others.

A smart Entrepreneur once told me before I got here, sometimes it is good to give up and quit if you've reached a certain spot, done everything you could, and it's just not worth the time and risk anymore. So It just depends on the situation. And I've been in places where I did see there was nothing I could do. It's sometimes like being in a maze. Sometimes there's and exit and it's simple and other times it's not and dead ends. Sometimes you have to climb out and over the wall. lol

Bouncing Soul

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 13, 2014

Many many times. Decent managers understand and address this with people they want to keep, something applicable to Fastlane as well.

My team got a new manager and almost everyone quit within 6 mos, including some longtime employees like myself. I did too, and haven't regretted it for a second.

AustinS28

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Sep 25, 2014
Manhattan, NY
Hmm

I think I've noticed over the past few years that most people want instant gratification and run when things get difficult. The simple concept of your actions today paving the way for the future is lost by many. Also many people fail to realize if they're not in the place they want to be, doing the same things day in and day out expecting a different result is stupidity.

Two, the fact of the matter is no matter what path I choose I bring my own problems with me. Which also is illustrated by everyone else. If they weren't working this job and working another they'd have the same issues. They'd want to quit when the going got tough. That's who they are. Do they have to be that way forever? No, if they make a conscious effort to change, but that is hard to do so they probably won't.

Three, everyone has different values. It's what makes the world go round. Most people don't have the same mindset and drive of the people here. There is nothing wrong with that. I thrive off challenges. I have a client that has an Internet business with 60k paid subscribers and two other businesses, one consulting, one retail. We talk about business all the time and my businesses client base is built up of many high achievers. The one difference I notice between them and friends and other associates throughout the day is that some people are super motivated by challenge. It builds great businesses and a great career always striving to be better or to compete with the best. Other people are more satisfied by instant gratification and make decisions based on the now. That brings them happiness. There's a place for everyone business owner and consumer. Just keep your achievement mentality and keep getting better and embracing the challenges that will get you there.

RamEri475

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Sep 16, 2015
Texas
Good question, but may I ask one more? If what you are doing is the one you don't like? Actually I'm doing a job I don't like very much, moreover, I don't think I've learnt enough things for 3 months work, then need I to keep doing this job?
I would say keep going. I say this because my current job has a six month mentorship/training period. Like in business and nature our environment is always changing that is why we must never stop learning.

liquidglass

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Oct 24, 2011
You want to quit because people around you want to quit, it's called 'group think' and it works as a double edge sword, it can be super productive if everyone is positive and destructive if seeds of doubt sneak in. A leader helps guide that group think and mitigate the negativity towards a more positive outcome.

But him getting irrationally upset is based on 'cognitive dissonance' which means things are not the way he expects them to be so his habit reaction is to get irrationally angry rather than solve the problem. He's what @AustinS28 described as not being driven by challenge.

Now the interesting part and something I'm sure many of us have experienced is when it reaches the level of 'inspirational dissatisfaction' which is what separates fastlaners from everyone else. It's the turning point in many of our lives, I know it is in mine. It's when you reach a level of dissatisfaction so great that it cements your decision to change things and form your own future. Slowlaners stay dissatisfied, numb the pain with drinking or mindless activities and write it off as a part of life. Fastlaners take this dissatisfaction melt it down into rocket fuel and launch hard.

yoyo

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 19, 2015
China
I would say keep going. I say this because my current job has a six month mentorship/training period. Like in business and nature our environment is always changing that is why we must never stop learning.
Yes I know I should keep going, but what if the job you're doing is the one you really hate and seems you will not learn what you want?
I came to this company to learn something I want to learn, but near 4 months passed by, I don't even know what meaningful things I've learned. I feel it' wasting my time

RamEri475

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Sep 16, 2015
Texas
Yes I know I should keep going, but what if the job you're doing is the one you really hate and seems you will not learn what you want?
I came to this company to learn something I want to learn, but near 4 months passed by, I don't even know what meaningful things I've learned. I feel it' wasting my time

I am not sure what to tell you. What is it that you want to learn anyway?

If I knew I was going to hate working for a company I wouldn't have applied in the first place. And if I applied anyway I would quit within 3 weeks. Usually within the first 2 week you get a feel of what the company is like. I am kind of divided in my thinking though on whether to keep a job or to quit. So here are the opinions of my two mentalities.

This is the part where I go into my side-walker/slow-lane mentality. Most jobs have trade-offs. Like maybe one job offers a bad a$$ paycheck with a shit ton of hours. But all the hours takes up most of your day. Or maybe you get a fun job that allows you to pursue your passion/dreams and all that crap. But the kicker is that the pay is shit and the job is unstable. So if I were a side-walker/slow-laner I would get a job that is a kind of boring but moderately easy and that offers okay or good benefits preferably in the govt so you can work the regular 9-5 m-f.

This is the part where I get into my fast-lane mentality. I don't be-leave in following your dreams and your passion. Just because I have a passion for music production doesn't mean I will get rich or live a fulfilling life in an industry that is getting harder and harder by the day to capitalize in. I love music production but I think it is a stupid career choice and it would make a terrible business. So instead of perusing my passion I found a need in the market and turned that need into my passion. I would try to get a job that is related to the market I plan on entering and learn as much as I can. Then when I get enough cash/knowledge I would then go out on my own and compete with the person that I worked for. Hell I would probably try to partner with my old boss and convince him/her to work for me.

I am not telling you what to do but these are just some of the things I would do.

yoyo

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 19, 2015
China
I am not sure what to tell you. What is it that you want to learn anyway?

If I knew I was going to hate working for a company I wouldn't have applied in the first place. And if I applied anyway I would quit within 3 weeks. Usually within the first 2 week you get a feel of what the company is like. I am kind of divided in my thinking though on whether to keep a job or to quit. So here are the opinions of my two mentalities.

This is the part where I go into my side-walker/slow-lane mentality. Most jobs have trade-offs. Like maybe one job offers a bad a$$ paycheck with a shit ton of hours. But all the hours takes up most of your day. Or maybe you get a fun job that allows you to pursue your passion/dreams and all that crap. But the kicker is that the pay is shit and the job is unstable. So if I were a side-walker/slow-laner I would get a job that is a kind of boring but moderately easy and that offers okay or good benefits preferably in the govt so you can work the regular 9-5 m-f.

This is the part where I get into my fast-lane mentality. I don't be-leave in following your dreams and your passion. Just because I have a passion for music production doesn't mean I will get rich or live a fulfilling life in an industry that is getting harder and harder by the day to capitalize in. I love music production but I think it is a stupid career choice and it would make a terrible business. So instead of perusing my passion I found a need in the market and turned that need into my passion. I would try to get a job that is related to the market I plan on entering and learn as much as I can. Then when I get enough cash/knowledge I would then go out on my own and compete with the person that I worked for. Hell I would probably try to partner with my old boss and convince him/her to work for me.

I am not telling you what to do but these are just some of the things I would do.
Thanks buddy! Thank you for talking so much to me. I really like your second mentality and actually that is also what my opinion, so I came to this company. At the first time of my job in this place, I did something I really like, for building a new site, doing and learning lot of things. But when time went by, my boss started to ask me to some work I really really hate and which are not been discussed in my interview at all. I tried to discuss with my boss about that, but he just let me stay and try more, then I compromised because I also want to give me an oppotunity.

Now I still stay in this company for some reasons. But anyway, I started to think what is the most important to me. Finally, thank you again, for your patience and enthusiasm

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.