The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

do YOU want to never lose on a car deal again?

Would learning the insider secrets of the used car industry be value added knowledge for you?

• Total voters

cutthroughstatic

I Buy Cars
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
326%
Mar 13, 2015
SoCal --> Richmond, VA
Hey all,

I'm not overly active here, as I have been working on side projects as well as my 9-5 (or 12-9, or 6-3, or 10-7...retail hours are meh), but I have come in search of YOUR opinions.

I was recently listening to Smart Passive Income (recommended) Podcast number 170 with Remit Sethi, on the secrets of a successful product launch. My main takeaway was that he never releases a product and wonders how much it will sell - he stacks the deck beforehand by doing extensive social research into what people are literally begging to be taught about.

I have a very specific set of skills acquired from my job. Mainly, I know everything there is to know about the used-car industry. Without boring you with too many details, I spend my days analyzing actual market values, traveling to auto auctions, pricing inventory, blah blah. It's really the only thing I'm truly an expert in.

I'm conceptualizing a website with free, helpful material for the average consumer. While I conduct my days in an ethical and transparent way, no one else in the industry really does. And for a car being the second largest investment you will make in your lifetime, you really need to protect yourself with gobs of knowledge before buying one. Basically, help me give you value!

So here are my questions. And please, if I'm not asking the right questions, make up your own to answer! All input is appreciated.

1. What is the thing you are most unsure of when buying or selling your car? (i.e, value, condition, etc)
2. Do you value Kelly Blue Book and other online estimator sites as accurate?
3. Would you be interested in learning about the automotive industry?
4. Do you believe that the dealer has the upper hand?
5. Do you believe that with knowledge you could empower yourself to never lose on a car deal again?

Thanks for everyone who read through all this. Again - my goal is to offer up my expertise to provide value for a large swath of people. Everyone buys cars!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

cutthroughstatic

I Buy Cars
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
326%
Mar 13, 2015
SoCal --> Richmond, VA
Ask the mods if you could do an AMA on this subject. All your questions will get asked.
Thanks for the advice, that is actually a fantastic idea.

cutthroughstatic

I Buy Cars
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
326%
Mar 13, 2015
SoCal --> Richmond, VA

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Now this is an example of a blog that may work. Post everything you know about the used car industry on a blog and I will bet it will go alot of traffic. Then maybe you can sell it all in an ebook later on.

cutthroughstatic

I Buy Cars
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
326%
Mar 13, 2015
SoCal --> Richmond, VA
Now this is an example of a blog that may work. Post everything you know about the used car industry on a blog and I will bet it will go alot of traffic. Then maybe you can sell it all in an ebook later on.

Thanks for the reply, Biophase.

My goal is to create some AWESOME free content to build a list, and build validity. End goal is to create a comprehensive crash course with everything you would ever need to know about the used car industry - whether buying or selling, whether from a dealer or a private party.

My question is, what kind of content are people interested in? What are the main insecurities consumers face when buying cars? It's hard for me to know where to start, because I don't know what people don't know. I see people getting screwed all the time, but I don't really know if they are even aware of it, or if they want to be aware of it, or how to make them care?

So, back to Jon.A's point, I think doing an AMA on here would be immensely valuable in regards to figuring out what people want to know.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Thanks for the reply, Biophase.

My goal is to create some AWESOME free content to build a list, and build validity. End goal is to create a comprehensive crash course with everything you would ever need to know about the used car industry - whether buying or selling, whether from a dealer or a private party.

My question is, what kind of content are people interested in? What are the main insecurities consumers face when buying cars? It's hard for me to know where to start, because I don't know what people don't know. I see people getting screwed all the time, but I don't really know if they are even aware of it, or if they want to be aware of it, or how to make them care?

So, back to Jon.A's point, I think doing an AMA on here would be immensely valuable in regards to figuring out what people want to know.

If you are going to do a site, then all content will be relevant.

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
If you are going to do a site, then all content will be relevant.

Agreed 100%. There is so much crap information out there written by people whose goal isn't really to inform the consumer. I think that after getting started, you'll start to get feedback and learn what information your readers are in need of.

This topic stuck out for me because I got in an accident last week and my car is totaled. I want to pay cash for something "late model" and used. How can I find the best deal for my money? A lot of people have recommended tagging along with someone to a dealer auction. Is this a good idea, and how risky is it? Can you trust the car history reports that you can get online? How can you tell if a used car has been in an accident? Is there a "best" time of year when car values drop and I can get a good deal? If I go to a dealership (still talking about used cars), how much negotiation can really be done on the price? Those are just some questions that come to mind for me, personally.

If you have better answers than most of the websites I've seen on those topics, you'll definitely get readers.

Good luck :)

shubham525

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jul 16, 2015
India
Buying a used car is a pain in a$$. If you can bring in a reliable system then theres no limit of expansion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cutthroughstatic

I Buy Cars
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
326%
Mar 13, 2015
SoCal --> Richmond, VA
Agreed 100%. There is so much crap information out there written by people whose goal isn't really to inform the consumer. I think that after getting started, you'll start to get feedback and learn what information your readers are in need of.

This topic stuck out for me because I got in an accident last week and my car is totaled. I want to pay cash for something "late model" and used. How can I find the best deal for my money? A lot of people have recommended tagging along with someone to a dealer auction. Is this a good idea, and how risky is it? Can you trust the car history reports that you can get online? How can you tell if a used car has been in an accident? Is there a "best" time of year when car values drop and I can get a good deal? If I go to a dealership (still talking about used cars), how much negotiation can really be done on the price? Those are just some questions that come to mind for me, personally.

If you have better answers than most of the websites I've seen on those topics, you'll definitely get readers.

Good luck :)

Mayana,

Thank you SO much! Those are the exact types of questions I am looking for. Good questions get good answers:)

First off, I am sorry to hear you were involved in an accident. Never fun, and it always makes for a stressful time-crunch in finding a new car to drive. Don't feel like you have to make a decision as soon as possible - it would be better to rent a car for an additional week or two than to make an impulse buy that you are unsure of!

1. "How can I find the best deal for my money?"
This question is incredibly broad, and it really depends on your level of expertise. Going to a dealer-only auction is certainly the best way to get a "deal" on a vehicle, but I would not recommend that option to 99% of people. Going to a reputable, large dealership chain such as CarMax offers a level of security through guarantees and warrantees, but you pay up for that (more than it's worth). Going to a buy-here-pay-here dealership is just asking to get taken advantage of (unless, again, you really know what you're doing).

For the average car buyer, the best deal for your money is going to be private party. Especially if you are paying cash. To a dealership, cash doesn't mean a thing (in fact, they would prefer to finance you so they can get a cut!). To private party, cash is absolutely 100% king, and will allow you to negotiate incredibly hard. My recommendation would be to use CraigsList. If you would like, I can PM you some general pointers for use on CraigsList.

2. "Is tagging along with someone to a dealer auction a good idea?"
I did say that a dealer only auction is the BEST way to get a good deal - yet, I recommended that you steer completely clear of it. Why is that? Well, just imagine the level of shadiness associated with your average, small used-car lot. Now multiply that by the hundreds of shady-car-lot owners that are buying and selling their cars at a dealer only auction. A few notes:
a) in the lower price ranges, dealers tend to auction their vehicles "as-is". This is not conducive to the average consumer
b) if the dealer guarantees the vehicle, you will still need to inspect it as they are quite often erroneously guaranteed. Having the dealer then agree to take that vehicle back is generally a nightmare, and they will give you the runaround unless you have some pre-existing relationship with them
c) winning a vehicle at auction is potentially way more complicated than just haggling at a dealership. It is the auctioneer's job to get the highest bid possible - and they can sense an amateur a mile away. You will run into shill bidding, or just fake bidding, quite often.

The only time I would recommend a dealer auction is if you have a friend who is VERY knowledgeable, i.e owns their own dealership and goes to auctions weekly, go with you. Otherwise, steer clear. There is no way you will be able to develop the skills and knowledge needed to "win" at auction. Its a shark tank.

3. Can you trust vehicle history reports?
Well yes, and no. It is a history report, by definition, not a magic ball. Thus, the only incidences that will appear on them are incidents that have been reported. Run your car into your basketball hoop, and have your cousins shop do the repairs? Not going to be on there! Run your car right smack dab into a deer? Most likely not going to be on there. Leave your car windows open through a hurricane and have the interior completely flooded out? Most likely not going to be on there.

There are so many things that can happen to a car in it's lifetime that for many reasons will not get reported. If the insurance wasn't involved (or if a reaaaaally cheap insurance company was involved), and there was no police report, the history report will look clean.

As a car buyer, your goal should be the elimination of risk to yourself. A good first step is to pull a CarFax AND an AutoCheck report, and compare them side-by-side. Plenty of times I will see things reported on one, but not the other.

So always pull BOTH reports, but never rely SOLELY on reports. Which brings me to the next question:

4. How do I know if a car has been in an accident?
Assume that every car you look at HAS been in an accident, and your job is to figure out where the damage occurred, like some sort of car puzzle. The reports are the easy "cheats" or "clues" to damage - but if they are clean, keep your assumption the same. Essentially, the car is guilty until proven innocent.
I plan on doing a course solely related to finding accident damage on cars. But for the purpose of answering this question, I'll give you some basic pointers.
First thing to do is to check the pinch rails on the vehicle. If you get on your hands and knees, look under the car right under the drivers door. You will see a very thin rail running along the length of each side of the car.I attached a picture pulled from another forum of what the pinch rail looks like. Now visually run down the length of the pinch rail, and look for any strange markings. We are inspecting it for any signs that it has been on a frame machine, as that is an indicator that the vehicle was tweaked and then worked on at one point. These machines will grasp the car by the rails, resulting in clamp marks on the rails. The markings can vary wildly depending on the machine used, but you will recognize it immediately as not belonging. The most common one to see are sideways indentations in the metal. I will find a picture and upload it later for you.
If the pinch rails are clean with no markings (other than the factor spot welds, which are circular and uniform down the entire rail), You can then move on to inspecting each body panel.
Along each panel line, run your fingernail down it. Does it feel smooth, or rough? Roughness is a strong indication of a tape-line, meaning that the panel was at one point taped off in order to repaint a part of it. When a panel is painted at the factory, it is painted all at once and the paint is smooth and uniform. When accident damage occurs, the panel is taped off and only painted on a portion of it, resulting in an uneven thickness of paint. You will immediately feel roughness along the panel edge. Remember, however, that repaint - as long as it's done well - is no big deal. Cars get repainted ALL the time for even the most minor things. Now after you feel that panel, get close to the paint and observe two or three different spots on the panel in different lighting. Inspect the paintwork for "trash". Basically, a factory paint job is will NEVER have any dust or dirt stuck under the paint. But aftermarket, you will almost always find "trash" that was on the panel, that got painted over.
Now moving on, as you inspect each panel, look at where it connects to the car. Inspect each individual bolt. Does it look like the bolts have ever been turned? Are they spotless, or are they stripped/worn/painted? Turned bolts is a sure indicator that a panel was taken off the vehicle, either to be replaced or to be fixed. This is another red flag.
Now inspect the welds on the actual frame of the vehicle. Every manufacturer has a different style of weld, but the point is that on each side they should be uniform. If the welds on the left side of the vehicle appear to be one way, the welds on the right side should be the same too! Look for any burn marks, as that is a sure sign of aftermarket reweld.

I could go on, but that is all getting pretty in depth. That's all a good starting point for inspecting vehicles for prior damage.

5. Is there a best time to buy?
Unfortunately, the retail market moves at snail speed, while the wholesale market moves at lightspeed. One week, cars will be selling at auction for prices that seem astronomically and humorously high. Two weeks later, no one is even bidding. Throughout all of this, you'll notice that retail prices will stay generally the same - but willingness to negotiate is what changes. It's hard for the consumer to tell when the market is soft, as they do not have their finger on the pulse, and as the market changes even region to region. However, as a rule of thumb, the market is generally slowest during the summer months, busier during winter, and busiest during tax time. Right now is actually a really good time to buy a car - but the market will start to heat up again as we move into the fall.

6. "How much can I really negotiate?"
Well, that all depends on who you are negotiating with. A dealer? Not all that much. They negotiate every single day for a living, and they will always (well....99.999999999%) of the time WIN. You are playing their game, on their turf. The only way to come close to leveling the playing field is to ditch the mass-marketed consumer price analysis tools (like KBB) and know the real wholesale value of any given car. Start throwing out Manheim transactional information at them, and you will begin to realize what their margins are and will have a clearer picture of what a fair price is. Unfortunately, if you don't want to be the "sucker", they will just let you go and find someone that's easier to bait in and get to pay top dollar.
So back to my initial recommendation: buy from a private seller. They are novice negotiators, they are not selling their car for a profit (most of them aren't, anyway), and you are eliminating a mostly unnecessary middle-man (the dealer).

Sorry if this is all a lot to take in. Please let me know if you need any clarification on anything, or have additional questions! And thank you again for your initial questions!

Attachments

• pinch rail .jpg
    pinch rail .jpg
    68 KB · Views: 16

cutthroughstatic

I Buy Cars
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
326%
Mar 13, 2015
SoCal --> Richmond, VA
Buying a used car is a pain in a$$. If you can bring in a reliable system then theres no limit of expansion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just typed a super-long response to some questions, and I feel like I didn't even touch the surface.

I like your idea of creating a "system". I was thinking of doing some educational video modules, paired with a standardized worksheet for vehicle inspection that will make the process of looking over a vehicle for purchase pretty easy.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

OscarDeuce

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Nov 28, 2014
Northern Virginia
Not sure I'm the right guy, since I tend to do thing differently than others, but...

1. What is the thing you are most unsure of when buying or selling your car? (i.e, value, condition, etc)
Well, I don't sell cars, but when I buy one, what I'm most uncertain of is how well I'm going to like it in the longer run - will I get tired of it and want something else.

2. Do you value Kelly Blue Book and other online estimator sites as accurate? No. I believe Kelly has two Blue Books - one for the dealers and one for the rubes. So, no.

3. Would you be interested in learning about the automotive industry? No. I'm not in the business so I really don't care about the details. Just as I don't want to learn computer science to send an email.

4. Do you believe that the dealer has the upper hand? No. I walk in knowing exactly what I am willing to spend, and I tell them what it is. I either drive out with a car on my terms or go down the road to another dealer. No games.

5. Do you believe that with knowledge you could empower yourself to never lose on a car deal again? See number 4. I buy every car I ever bought at the price I'm willing to pay. Nobody loses.

Cheers,
O-2

Last edited by a moderator:

RBefort

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 14, 2012
Off topic a bit...but would you go into auto sales for an entry level job to learn sales/get decently quick cash? (compared to having to build a book as a financial advisor, insurance rep, etc). In selecting a dealership, would you select the one with a shortage of reps to try and get the most business, or call around to find the dealer volume?

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
Thank you SO much! Those are the exact types of questions I am looking for. Good questions get good answers:)

Thanks so much for those answers - I wasn't even expecting to have them answered, just trying to help out! But I am studying your reply, and will put it all to good use. I think you are right, I might keep my rental for a couple more weeks to just make sure I don't make any rash decisions.

Best of luck on your website, please let us know when you get it going!

cutthroughstatic

I Buy Cars
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
326%
Mar 13, 2015
SoCal --> Richmond, VA
Not sure I'm the right guy, since I tend to do thing differently than others, but...

Well, I don't sell cars, but when I buy one, what I'm most uncertain of is how well I'm going to like it in the longer run - will I get tired of it and want something else.

2. Do you value Kelly Blue Book and other online estimator sites as accurate? No. I believe Kelly has two Blue Books - one for the dealers and one for the rubes. So, no.

3. Would you be interested in learning about the automotive industry? No. I'm not in the business so I really don't care about the details. Just as I don't want to learn computer science to send an email.

4. Do you believe that the dealer has the upper hand? No. I walk in knowing exactly what I am willing to spend, and I tell them what it is. I either drive out with a car on my terms or go down the road to another dealer. No games.

5. Do you believe that with knowledge you could empower yourself to never lose on a car deal again? See number 4. I buy every car I ever bought at the price I'm willing to pay. Nobody loses.

Cheers,
O-2

0-2,

Thanks for the engagement of the topic, and for a different perspective! Quickly ---

Addressing your comment on KBB, as a someone who operates with dealerships, I can tell you that there is no "secret" Blue Book. Kelly Blue Book is an extremely well marketed informational service company. It is created for and marketed to the consumer. Kelly doesn't care about dealerships, and dealerships don't care about Kelly. BUT, since Kelly has gotten the general blind buy-in of consumers, dealers have to factor it in as a negotiating tool.

Has Kelly made the market fairer? Well, yes, but also no. It's accurate sometimes, and but also wildly mind bogglingly inaccurate at other times.

There are different resources and tools that dealers use to determine the true market values for vehicles, and on my site I wish to address these in depth, and how the average consumer could personally utilize those tools.

Which leads me to a question for yourself - you say you know exactly what you are going to spend, but how do you come to that number? Do you ever second guess yourself and think that the number you decided on is unrealistically low, or too high? Your strategy seems straightforward enough, but if you don't trust KBB (which you are right in not really trusting) then where do you get your magic number?

Your third point is a valid one that I will try to keep in mind as I develop material. I need to focus on actionable things that help the everyday consumer. No one really cares about the nooks and crannies of the used car market except for when it directly effects them in a transactional way.

To your first point, tell me your budget and I'll tell you what to buy! Hah - this coming from the guy (myself) who drives a different car every three months... I do however have some pretty strong brand opinions and loyalties.

Thanks again for your reply

cutthroughstatic

I Buy Cars
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
326%
Mar 13, 2015
SoCal --> Richmond, VA
Off topic a bit...but would you go into auto sales for an entry level job to learn sales/get decently quick cash? (compared to having to build a book as a financial advisor, insurance rep, etc). In selecting a dealership, would you select the one with a shortage of reps to try and get the most business, or call around to find the dealer volume?

I actually started in automotive sales. It's interesting. It's not what it once was, though.. Which is both good and bad. The bad part is that it's really uncommon to be a salesperson making six-figures these days (unless you're a hold-over from the old days and have a huge book, or you are just superman). The good part is that it's much easier to get a sales job at a dealership with no experience, and the sales process in general has become easier, more transparent, and less crazy high-pressure.

A dealership with a shortage of reps is probably, honestly, a very bad sign. Dealerships are either really fun with good energy, or they are literal hellholes run by managers that envision themselves as satan. The bad ones have incredibly high turnover rates - and are probably always hiring like crazy.

Try and get a job at a known reputable dealership in your town. Personally, I can recommend Toyota dealerships as generally good places to work. Toyota has pretty stringent sales training and work standards across the board. If you want to make more money, you could try to get into high-line sales at a BMW or Mercedes dealership - this would be the ideal, but they typically want someone more tenured with experience. You could get your foot in the door as an internet marketer though, which really isn't a bad gig at all. CarMax is always hiring, and always growing, and really isn't a terrible place to work as a starting salesman. It pays the least out of all the options named above, but is the easiest to get hired into and is the easiest sales process to navigate. Oh, and try and stay away from any AutoNation franchise. Remember the whole satanic hellhole thing? Well, not to stereotype an entire company, but every AutoNation I have come across seems to be just completely awful. Also, they get paid nothing.

If you have any more questions about working in the auto industry, gimme a shout. Thanks for the reply.

cutthroughstatic

I Buy Cars
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
326%
Mar 13, 2015
SoCal --> Richmond, VA
Thanks so much for those answers - I wasn't even expecting to have them answered, just trying to help out! But I am studying your reply, and will put it all to good use. I think you are right, I might keep my rental for a couple more weeks to just make sure I don't make any rash decisions.

Best of luck on your website, please let us know when you get it going!

No problem whatsoever. As I said, my goal is to follow MJ's much repeated "CREATE VALUE" as best I can!

I feel like my problem is that I have such a comprehensive view of this topic, it's hard for me to give really clear and concise answers without being like a fire hydrant. I know I typed out way too much information on my reply to you - so if you need any clarification of anything please let me know! Like I said, accidents are extremely unfortunate and stressful, so if there is any way I can help just gimme a shout!

OscarDeuce

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Nov 28, 2014
Northern Virginia
but if you don't trust KBB (which you are right in not really trusting) then where do you get your magic number?

There's no science behind it - it's just what the car is worth to me. I'm not trying to get the "best" deal - I don't care it I could have gotten it for less. I just won't pay more. Have I left money on the table? Probably, but so what? I was happy, the sales person was happy, and the dealer was happy.

Cheers,
O-2

cutthroughstatic

I Buy Cars
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
326%
Mar 13, 2015
SoCal --> Richmond, VA
To anyone interested ---

Progress is as follows www.insiderautoindustry.com

Critique is appreciated - any thoughts on the colors/style? This is essentially my first go at Wordpress. I have enjoyed tweaking.

Right now I am working on content. I obviously have a long way to go but I have close to 100 posts outlined spanning any topic you could think of.

Did a little research on other "blogs" or resource sites doing what I am trying to do. They are pretty cheesy looking and have pretty sub-par content, and are pulling in 100-300k visitors a month (according to compete.com).

Through white-hat backling techniques (courtesy of backlinko.com) and focusing on keyword heavy posts and SEO.... my short term 6 month goal is to be at 100k visitors.

Plans for monetization: eventually get enough visitors to sell a few larger spaces for automotive insurance ads.

Fortunately, this type of content is super evergreen. I set up an "opinions" section of the site to discuss new makes/models etc. All my efforts right now will be to make the backbone of the site with content that will be forever relevant.

Any advice would be great! Haven't been on here much as I've been busy with slowlane job, church, and this side project.

Have a great day Fastlaners!

blackhat

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Mar 24, 2015
To me, 100k visitors/month solely with SEO does not seem reasonable in 6 months.

I think you going to need to focus on getting your content shared, both by readers on their social media profiles, and on auto sites. If you are producing quality content, which based on this thread, I am sure is the case, I don't think you'd have trouble getting it shared on some large auto sites. That seems more likely to get you to 100k visitors in a short time.

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
SEO will help you get indexed and ranked by Google, but you do need to, as @blackhat mentioned, be seen as an authority. What keywords are you competing for, and do you have paid traffic? @Andy Black has great posts on using AdWords to drive traffic.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I love this idea for a website. I think you need to have a 'sticky' in the upper right corner (or somewhere) that shows your picture and a couple sentences about you. The following, cut pasted from your OP, with just a little bit of editing, is perfect:

I have a very specific set of skills acquired from my job. Mainly, I know everything there is to know about the used-car industry. Without boring you with too many details, I spend my days analyzing actual market values, traveling to auto auctions, pricing inventory, blah blah. It's really the only thing I'm truly an expert in.

contract

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Dec 29, 2013
1. Get your dealers license.

2. Go to the auto auction. (Mayhem)

3. Buy whatever car you want with zero markup.

cutthroughstatic

I Buy Cars
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
326%
Mar 13, 2015
SoCal --> Richmond, VA
1. Get your dealers license.

2. Go to the auto auction. (Mayhem)

3. Buy whatever car you want with zero markup.

You are the reason I want to divulge the information I know! Because that is the worst advice I have ever read.

Have you ever been to an automotive auction? I'm guessing no, or else you wouldn't recommend it to an average consumer. Forget the fact that getting a dealer's license is no small (or cheap) feat either!

If you manage to get a dealer's license and go to auction, the probability of you getting ripped off, buying the wrong car, buying a car with issues, bidding more than you thought, etc etc is extremely high. Trust me - I know who the newbies are when I see them. I know them by the look of dismay on their faces when they realize what a massive mistake they just made (which they all do, at some point, during their first few auctions).

As for the SEO stuff ----

I have done a good amount of keyword research and have brainstormed some "leading" articles. Really long list type articles PACKED with value that will revolve all around a keyword that is searched OFTEN.
As mentioned, in order to be ranked on google and seen as an authority I plan on backlinking aggressively.
All my traffic, in my current plans, will be organic. We will see how it actually develops.

Did anyone actually look at the site? Any critique, cosmetic or otherwise?

liquidglass

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Oct 24, 2011
I like your site premise but it seems lacking, I can't put my finger on it, but it doesn't draw my eye to any part of it, I'm sure if I was browsing I would quickly glance over it and move on. Your color scheme is nice but there needs to be a bit more even if it's just a more interesting border or background.

Organic traffic is fine, but here's an idea that you might like. Create a short ebook about the amazing secrets and put it on your website, but don't use it as a lead magnet. Instead set up a social locker, which means people will have to share your website on a social site to unlock the content. The best part is there is a locker (it's free) I know of that you can actually set how many unique visitors must come from that persons link before they can unlock anything. You can pm me for more info.

cutthroughstatic

I Buy Cars
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
326%
Mar 13, 2015
SoCal --> Richmond, VA
I like your site premise but it seems lacking, I can't put my finger on it, but it doesn't draw my eye to any part of it, I'm sure if I was browsing I would quickly glance over it and move on. Your color scheme is nice but there needs to be a bit more even if it's just a more interesting border or background.

Organic traffic is fine, but here's an idea that you might like. Create a short ebook about the amazing secrets and put it on your website, but don't use it as a lead magnet. Instead set up a social locker, which means people will have to share your website on a social site to unlock the content. The best part is there is a locker (it's free) I know of that you can actually set how many unique visitors must come from that persons link before they can unlock anything. You can pm me for more info.

I completely agree on the site "popping". I am a fan of minimalistic designs but also my site just doesn't look full. Kind of why I was asking if anyone had any critique, because I also feel like something is missing but I can't put my finger on it either!

That is a fantastic idea and I greatly appreciate it. While I do not want to create content in an ebook format, I have a few "guides" I have been working on that will be extremely helpful for people looking to buy or sell a car. I still will use one of the guides as a lead magnet, but I could use another guide as the social locker.

I will pm you for more information as I have never heard of the social locker thing before and have no earthly clue how to set it up.

Also, as a side note - setting up a site like this is hard! I thought the content would be the hard part but it's not. Trying to create a solid foundation on which I can build a list and later monetize is the hardest part. Of course I am following the advice of just acting and putting things out there but I also want it to be good and impressive the first time. Amazing content is great but I want all my backend stuff properly in place to capture and maintain a community. Setting up lead magnet and email collection, then setting up an email schedule for sharing articles with subscribers, brainstorming ways I can tailor my emails to my subscribers based on their interest/needs...

I am so concerned with making sure people are engaged properly from day one. I don't want anyone to step foot on my site without being engaged by the content and without me having an opportunity to reach out to them properly.

Also (this is turning into a rant), my mindset has been changing completely and that has allowed me to put in some good quality work on content. A few months ago I was so frustrated with the slow lane that I was obsessed with money and passive income.

I've changed my attitude at my job. Even though I work harder now than ever before, I come home happy. I don't feel frustrated or trapped. I feel blessed to work a straight 40/hr work week and be able to pay all my bills. I feel fortunate to have time to spend working on side projects. I feel hopeful for the future and what it may one day hold. I know that in being diligent in the small things (spending x amount of time every day on a,b, and c) progress will eventually snowball.

I looked back over the past five years at all my hopes, dreams, ideas, and goals. I've done plenty of awesome things - but any BIG plans I had were abandoned less than a month in due to frustration and looking for a quicker fix.

Besides improving my attitude at work, which has led to less frustration, I also LOWERED my expectations for myself. Sounds counter intuitive, but it's so effective. I stopped trying to work all day and all night and burning out in a week. I stopped with stupid goals like "in two months I will QUIT MY JOB!!" I focused on actionable daily tasks to break down the bigger picture and make things doable.

Right now I'm fretting over the bigger picture of my site. But what do I need to do today? I made a list. I have the day off so I will spend probably six hours. Maybe in the middle I'll take a break and go for a walk. That's fine, as long as I finish my list of what I can do TODAY. Makes it easier to take action.

I feel like it's easy to get so overwhelmed by the big picture and by all the things you have to know...but just realize that first you have to do before you know. One piece at a time, and it will come together.

So, see you all later - time to work!

Also - please - if anyone can put their finger on what is "missing" in my site, please let me know! I'm trying to figure out how I can make it look more legitimate. I will have TONS of great content on there but it needs to grab the reader as something they WANT to read!

cutthroughstatic

I Buy Cars
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
326%
Mar 13, 2015
SoCal --> Richmond, VA
It looks plain to me. Free wordpress themes are free for a reason, at best they have to be highly modded to be made appealing.

Check out http://www.exoticcarsecrets.com/ for example and compare to yours.

Site looks good - but I am going for something different.

I actually really liked the theme I chose because of how simple it looked, and how industrial the font/setup appears. I will probably buy the paid version (only $50) because I like the general idea of it.

Other problem is that my stuff isn't very picture heavy. Alot of these modern sites and themes are SOOO picture heavy. Every theme I see has a huge slider option on the homepage.

I appreciate the response though. I'll get it fleshed out, I'm sure.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.