The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What is the first step to independence?

Samson II

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Sep 30, 2015
I could give you the tear-jerker version of my life, but I'll keep it to the point, because I'm really just looking for a solution, and I'm sure none of you want to read that crap anyway(there seems to be enough here as-is). Here's my background:

I'm 17.

I've done terrible throughout my high school career, pretty much ruling out any type of scholarship (not that college was a particularly attractive option anyway).

I live with my grandmother in a small lakeside town.

I have a couple hundred dollars in savings.

I have no vehicle, but I don't live very far away from town.

I am pretty intelligent (not that I've done much with it)

I am a hard worker (hard to believe a hard worker coming from my generation, I know, but, I am)

I have never been able to get a regular job despite my hardest efforts (parents would never let me), so I have little experience with work

In fact, I have little experience in general. You could say I was pretty sheltered (never been to a party, never had friends until high school, family stayed at home all the time)

If there's one thing I'm willing to do, it's learn. Most people are incredibly ignorant, and I'm more ignorant than most people. I expect nothing from you, because I deserve nothing. I only humbly request that you give me some first step out of my situation and on the road to success and prosperity. God knows I've tried to find one... Any help is greatly appreciated

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
first step

Get a job.
Turn 18.
Move out.
Work hard.
Save money.
Consume less.
Produce more.

Welcome to the forum, pretty impressive self-reflection from a 17-year old. Good luck my friend.

Erin

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Sep 28, 2015
I could give you the tear-jerker version of my life, but I'll keep it to the point, because I'm really just looking for a solution, and I'm sure none of you want to read that crap anyway(there seems to be enough here as-is). Here's my background:

I'm 17.

I've done terrible throughout my high school career, pretty much ruling out any type of scholarship (not that college was a particularly attractive option anyway).

I am a hard worker (hard to believe a hard worker coming from my generation, I know, but, I am)

I have never been able to get a regular job despite my hardest efforts (parents would never let me), so I have little experience with work

In fact, I have little experience in general. You could say I was pretty sheltered (never been to a party, never had friends until high school, family stayed at home all the time)

If there's one thing I'm willing to do, it's learn. Most people are incredibly ignorant, and I'm more ignorant than most people. I expect nothing from you, because I deserve nothing. I only humbly request that you give me some first step out of my situation and on the road to success and prosperity. God knows I've tried to find one... Any help is greatly appreciated

My advice would be to join the military , get some life experience .

Pick a job that has a real world counterparts so that you learn a skill that can never be taken away from you.

College would be paid for , if you ever want it.

Save your money so that you have a starter fund to use once you learn what you want to do.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
My advice would be to join the military , get some life experience .

Pick a job that has a real world counterparts so that you learn a skill that can never be taken away from you.

College would be paid for , if you ever want it.

Save your money so that you have a starter fund to use once you learn what you want to do.
Absolutely do not rush out and join the military. Only after you've read all 2227 of my posts may you ask me why.

Samson II

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Sep 30, 2015
Get a job.
Turn 18.
Move out.
Work hard.
Save money.
Consume less.
Produce more.

Welcome to the forum, pretty impressive self-reflection from a 17-year old. Good luck my friend.

Wow thanks, wasn't expecting a reply from you. I'm actually about to turn 18. I'd just like to thank you for creating this venue for education about a subject which is pretty ignored/ridiculed in modern society. I was in despair for awhile after I figured out college wasn't really an option for me, but this forum has helped me see things in a new light Even though I haven't read your book yet (will order it soon), I've already learned alot.

Samson II

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Sep 30, 2015
Absolutely do not rush out and join the military. Only after you've read all 2227 of my posts may you ask me why.

I don't consider the military an option tbh. Always underneath someone, could be killed, 8 year contract? No thanks, especially considering the state of foreign affairs rn.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
I don't consider the military an option tbh. Always underneath someone, could be killed, 8 year contract? No thanks, especially considering the state of foreign affairs rn.
Okay then, you don't have to read any of my posts :)

Welcome, BTW.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
You have a decent writing style and a good command of English. Maybe check out some online writing gigs on Fiverr or Upwork.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Wow thanks, wasn't expecting a reply from you. I'm actually about to turn 18. I'd just like to thank you for creating this venue for education about a subject which is pretty ignored/ridiculed in modern society. I was in despair for awhile after I figured out college wasn't really an option for me, but this forum has helped me see things in a new light Even though I haven't read your book yet (will order it soon), I've already learned alot.
College is highly overrated. Here's what I learned in college that you should teach yourself:

Proper grammar. (not at all implying that you don't write well, just saying that its important)
How to think clearly. (I learned this in SPITE of what they taught me in college, but don't get me started on that one.)
Read some history books, and the like, to round yourself out.

I agree with MJ's list.

Don't join the military unless you feel 'called' to do that.

If you want to be an entrepreneur, get a job first. But...start some sort of side gig where you can experiment. Fail a few times on a few different very-small businesses. Learn all you can. Read lots of books on business. Learn how to sell.

Find a mentor.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Maybe check out some online writing gigs on Fiverr or Upwork.

Yes, check out @SinisterLex 's posts, follow him and learn. Freelancing offers a great opportunity where age isn't a consideration.

sija1

Turning Coffee Into Code
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Jun 20, 2015
Quebec, Canada
I expect nothing from you, because I deserve nothing. I only humbly request that you give me some first step out of my situation and on the road to success and prosperity.

To be humble and except nothing is great, but to say you deserve nothing... come on man, don't be hard on yourself! Just the fact that you ask right questions at the age of 17 (I didn't ask because I thought I was smarter than everyone else - idiot) is what makes you deserve it more than most.

If there's one thing I'm willing to do, it's learn. Most people are incredibly ignorant, and I'm more ignorant than most people.

You seem to have a problem with self-esteem. Start by learning.
- Learn by reading and listening, through research and observation
- Take some time every day to observe yourself. Self awareness is important. How do you react? Are you influenced more by emotions or reason?
- Think about your experiences. What have you learned? Every bad situation brings something good, every good situation brings something bad. Identify these components
- What do you want in life? Where you want to be in five years? Break it down in smaller goals and work on them daily
- Find your strengths and weaknesses. Use them. Empower yourself
- Find a field that interests you, can be profitable and learn the "to do/not to do" from others, then start doing
- Order TMF now, it will teach you something valuable and help you connect the dots
- Intelligence is a powerful ally if used maximally

If you dedicate some time (more time - better results) every day to learning about yourself and business, in a month or two max you should have a direction.

Jakawan

We Buy Houses
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
443%
Sep 19, 2013
Oklahoma City
Hey man. Don't take this lightly. I was lurking and don't usually log in from my crappy phone. But I wanted to share with you.

We're all on a journey. You already have an advantage. You're 17 man. Everything happens for a reason. But dont waste your time.

I lived with my mom until I was 22. I'm turning 26 in less than 50 days.
So I experienced what you're talking about not so long ago. But it passed in the blink of an eye, as will yours.

I'd recommend you read Rich Dad, Poor Dad. And then the millionaire fastlane forum. Dont be afraid to spend money on books, as long as you USE THEM. Actually take action on what you learn. Don't wait. Mess up early while you have nothing to lose.

Dream big and experience lots. Find out who you are and what you enjoy doing and how can you combine that with creating value?

I started searching when I was about your age. I googled for hours. I built websites, I sold on ebay, I did affiliate marketing, incentive marketing, some offline sales, flipping, etc.. I discovered I liked buying low selling high. The small win, accomplishment, the rush, the score, the find. I started with pokemon cards and beanie babies, then sd cards and cell phone accessories, then moved up to cell phones and tablets, p90x and other high price dvds, then.. I did a car.. and another and another, a truck, a motorcycle.. I was having fun.. now I do houses.. anyways.. point is.. I failed a lot, I tried a lot of different things and it took me nearly 7 years to discover what I really like doing and can put 100% into. Start looking for yours now.

Ok back to getting independent. I recommend you get a job now.. if its truly impossible where you live, find someone to couch surf with. And I recommend finding a roommate, a friend in school, someone you really get along with and who has a clean room and is on time. This matters. Someone mature.

Save some money, look for an apartment. I remember it cost us nearly $2000 our first month moving out of parents house. First and last months rent, electric deposit, basic cheap furniture, etc. The first several months were hard. You do whatever job you can, to not drown. I sold cars, I delivered sandwiches, I delivered wire to construction sites, I stocked stores, worked at a 7-eleven, etc.

I had a why though. I decided I was going to sell houses.. no matter what. I read 8-10 books in the first 6 months of living in that crappy one bed apartment. Bed bugs, meth head neighbors etc..

2 years later, I was a self employed house buyer. Still struggling, but independently! Bought my first personal residence.

So there's a start. Hope it helps. All boils down to.. have a plan or idea you're willing to fight and do whatever it takes for.. and then go do it. If you know the why, the "how" will work itself out..

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
The best advice has already been said here lol.

To add to that though, when you have some extra money you should do some travelling. You'll get a broader outlook on life seeing the world for yourself than you would staying in your small town.

hellolin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 27, 2015
I was in the same shoes as you when I was 18, except mine was worse. I had just came to this country for 2 years, had a miserable high school because I really didn't speak much English, was not interested in learning anything even though I know I was smart (My GPA in high school is 2.0), and I had personality problems and family problem as well....then I decided to sign up for the military out of "let me just get out of here" thinking.
Fast forward to now, I just graduated college on a 3.5 GPA, with over a year of internship experiences in the industry, travel around the world exactly once with the world's greatest naval force. Oh let's not forget when I went though college, I didn't pay a single dime out of my pocket, in fact, I was paid extra money though many programs that was designed to help vets and disadvantaged student to get though college (I was able to be qualify for most of them because I am a single veteran without income, even though I did have an internship) . Not to mention the biggest benefits of them all: learn to speak English and learning the american culture, which ultimately lead me to this forum.
So my suggestion to you would be that if you are physically capable, look into the military for a ride, especially the air force or the navy. Since you are a US citizen at this time, you should be qualify for some jobs that require higher intellectual abilities, such as anything that deals with computers and nuclear energy. Talk to a military recruiter first, they should be very interested in a fresh 18 years old like you.

Bouncing Soul

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 13, 2014
Please...DO NOT join the military for the GI Bill. There are way easier ways to make money for tuition and travel.

Dwee

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Sep 26, 2014
Welcome to the forum Samson.

The input from other members has been great thus far. I'd like to add that going out and making your own job right now might be a good first step towards independence.

I faced a similar scenario when I was younger and, after reading rich dad poor dad with a friend, decided to do something about it. My friend and I decided to start up a landscaping business and our one requirement was that, no matter what, we wouldn't work for less than $25/hr. With this is mind we spent a weekend knocking on doors and, much to our surprise, we were in business! We only needed one weekend of prospecting to set up a decent (at the time) income for ourselves. The contacts we made also led to other lucrative non-landscaping jobs at the time.

This was a great step towards independence for me because I learned that money is out there, you simply need to ask for it by offering a worthy product or service. This understanding and mindset have been extremely helpful as my entrepreneurial pursuits have ramped up in scope and scale.

Hope this helps. Cheers mate! Keep us posted on your progress :)

juggler619

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
May 25, 2015
Abu Dhabi
Get a job.
Turn 18.
Move out.
Work hard.
Save money.
Consume less.
Produce more.

@Samson II wish someone had given me this golden advice when i was 16/17- back then its all about party,getting high & offcourse girls.....

Produce more!!!!!

welcome to the forum

JustAskBenWhy

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Sep 8, 2015
Lima, OH

I'm 17.

Learning is important, but not as important as learning the right thing.
Knowledge is desirable, but the right type of knowledge is necessary...

Be mindful of whom you learn from. Fortunately, this is a pretty good place to start :)

P.S. I don't hesitate recommending MJ's book - it's honest. It's not the only book you should read, but it's one of the books you should read, and since you are here, might as well...:)

Samson II

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Sep 30, 2015
Learning is important, but not as important as learning the right thing.
Knowledge is desirable, but the right type of knowledge is necessary...

Be mindful of whom you learn from. Fortunately, this is a pretty good place to start :)

P.S. I don't hesitate recommending MJ's book - it's honest. It's not the only book you should read, but it's one of the books you should read, and since you are here, might as well...:)

I've already read the 3 trial chapters and was very impressed. I should be getting it soon...

wbrett1027

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Feb 15, 2015
Finding something that could solve a problem..
And gain you lots of profit

Brett.

Okraz1

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Aug 31, 2015
Get a job.
Turn 18.
Move out.
Work hard.
Save money.
Consume less.
Produce more.

I'm in the exact same position as OP, so your advice and this thread is super helpful. One thing though, why do you advocate moving out ASAP as opposed to living rent free with family and saving 95%+ of income?

Thanks

zr1

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
254%
May 25, 2011
I agree with getting a job first. I would highly recommend a service based job that gives direct exposure to wealthy fastlaners . For example, when I was younger I was a caddy at a golf course where successful people and celebrities played. I had no experience in golf other than being to hold a bag and hand a club. New job opportunities were offered to me from customers because I worked hard at my job and I had a positive attitude. I got exposure to how successful people think, live, make decisions, do business, and network.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jesse Dallenbach

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Jul 3, 2015
Northern California, U.S.A.
no but i just got some money from my birthday, i think i'll order it tomorrow

Yes I noticed today is your 18th birthday, Happy Birthday man!

If you are interested, PM me your name and current mailing address.

I am going to do you a solid and get you the book, you seem like you want to learn somethings and this book can help you.

Again if your interested.

- Jesse

Samson II

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Sep 30, 2015
Wow
Yes I noticed today is your 18th birthday, Happy Birthday man!

If you are interested, PM me your name and current mailing address.

I am going to do you a solid and get you the book, you seem like you want to learn somethings and this book can help you.

Again if your interested.

- Jesse
Wow,thanks, I really appreciate the sentiment but, I don't feel comfortable recieving gifts from people I don't know (not saying anything about you). I'd just rather buy things myself. Thanks again though!

Jesse Dallenbach

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Jul 3, 2015
Northern California, U.S.A.
Wow

Wow,thanks, I really appreciate the sentiment but, I don't feel comfortable recieving gifts from people I don't know (not saying anything about you). I'd just rather buy things myself. Thanks again though!

No worries man I was just looking to help someone who could use a boost.

Keep on Keeping on

- Jesse

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.