The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Debating whether or not to dabble Draftkings/Fanduel Daily Fantasy Sports?

G

Guest14692

In case anyone was curious to try daily fantasy football, I wanted to put this little opportunity on everyone's radar.

Draftkings currently has the biggest GPP tournament with a total prize pool of $10 million ($2 million to first place).

Draftkings also has an incentive that expires tomorrow. That incentive is every new referral to Draftkings gets a free ticket into this tournament (Normally a $20 entry.)

I think tomorrow is especially exciting, for two reasons:

A. Daily fantasy sports are very controversial and have a very unpredictable future at this time. Who knows how much longer we can participate in these types of tournaments. Yes it's gambling.. and its also pretty remarkable the amount of money flying around right now.

B. As I'm writing this, this tournament (with a guaranteed prize pool) isn't even half way filled! This is massive overlay and Draftkings will lose money on this tournament. Half the expected number of lineups = a huge advantage to those competing in the tournament.

So.

Ask one of your friends who has a Draftkings account to give you their referral link. Simply sign up and you will have a free ticket into the largest daily fantasy tournament in history tomorrow.

Everyone have a happy sunday, that hopefully involves a lot of beer and football.

-Joe

If you do not have a friend with a Draftkings account, PM me.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
DFS is 2015's answer to 2007's Poker. Congress has it on its radar since these websites have flooded the airwaves with their pseudo gambling commercials. Frankly, I'm tired of it. Its everywhere.

Anyhow, such activities are banned in Arizona although if it wasn't, I'd give it a spin around the block.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
My guess is it gets raided and shut down. It is not legal in most (all?) states. Advertising on the radio doesn't make it any more legal.

Shades

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 8, 2011
My guess is it gets raided and shut down. It is not legal in most (all?) states. Advertising on the radio doesn't make it any more legal.

Its legal in most states. For now they are getting by because its deemed a game of skill and not a game of chance. But now they have the attention of the government.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
its deemed a game of skill and not a game of chance

according to whom

p.s. my question is a trap, because the only answer to this is interpretations of the law by the venues themselves that paint a favorable picture for their own existence. You could find the same was done by the gambling sites in the days prior to the government moving in, seizing the assets and deposits of the gamblers, and shutting the sites down.

Until there is a federal court decision, it's all speculation and opinions of attorneys, not judges. That's not going to keep anyone's deposits secure.

Last edited:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I used to play video games, online poker and fantasy football. What made me change is that I found that my online businesses suffered because I spent 1 hour playing a game which I could have spent on my business. When I quit playing these games, I found that online business was very much like a video game except winners are scored by how much money you make.

Yes, you can do business and play these things. But for me, it was just another distraction since I never felt like working on my business, i.e. stare at a computer screen, after I've been looking at a screen for an hour or two.

G

Guest14692

BTW I think all forms of online gambling should be legal.

The ones to bring regulation enforcement pressure though are those who are prohibited from offering their services online:

http://www.legalsportsreport.com/3337/mgm-says-fanduel-draftkings-are-gambling/

Wow thats fascinating. There is zero integrity in the efforts to enforce banning DFS. It's really not surprising though; FD and DK alone brought in twice the amount of revenue the 1st week than Vegas did. :cookoo: That is unreal. $60 million to be exact.

I can see it going either way, but it will involve either making DFS illegal or eventually legalizing what was banned in 2007.. one or the other. I agree all online gambling should be legalized.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Wow thats fascinating. There is zero integrity in the efforts to enforce banning DFS. It's really not surprising though; FD and DK alone brought in twice the amount of revenue the 1st week than Vegas did. :cookoo: That is unreal. $60 million to be exact.

I can see it going either way, but it will involve either making DFS illegal or eventually legalizing what was banned in 2007.. one or the other. I agree all online gambling should be legalized.
Government will get off their backs when they figure out how to tax it.

G

Guest14692

Where were we?

Oh yeah... I placed 9th overall in said tournament. Cheers

9th_zpsesuasz0v.png

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
What did the winner get paid

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Good job. If you continue betting, then I recommend looking into bankroll management. I'm assuming that the same tactics that apply to sports betting apply to FanDuel.

Also, I know there used to be a tool out there that let you check a user's probability of winning (hence letting you compete against people that sucked). I can't find it, but do some research. Even a 2% edge can be huge over the course of a season.

Veloce Grey

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 24, 2014
That's an impressive effort, you must have been loving that Arizona game. Gillmore I could understand as Eifert did well vs same defense a week earlier. Fitzgerald I would have found a tougher pick but the stack with Palmer at least makes sense.

The DFS thing is an odd phenomenon for those outside the USA. Fantasy sports still exist but normal sports betting is much bigger and has the media deals/sponsorship arrangements in place. With those sorts of things not permissible in the US you get DFS simply moving into the exact same position in coverage with the same mentions betting companies get in sports coverage in Europe/Australia. A tricky business to predict the outlook for though as aside from their own legal risk on the other side they're enjoying a protection from competition that could change very quickly.

G

Guest14692

@joefazzolari What does it cost you to submit 10 lineups? Do they charge per lineup or per player?

It is $20 per lineup for this particular contest. In Week 1 I deposited $100 into Draftkings and accepted the fact that I was probably going to lose it.

80% of those lineups made it into the top 25% (prize pool) and I made $140 back.

For Week 2 I used those winnings for 7 lineups and all was well. When I saw how many spots were still open Saturday evening, I ended up depositing $60 and created 3 more lineups.

So, $160 out of pocket total.

TG_Hawk

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Feb 26, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
It is $20 per lineup for this particular contest. In Week 1 I deposited $100 into Draftkings and accepted the fact that I was probably going to lose it.

80% of those lineups made it into the top 25% (prize pool) and I made $140 back.

For Week 2 I used those winnings for 7 lineups and all was well. When I saw how many spots were still open Saturday evening, I ended up depositing $60 and created 3 more lineups.

So, $160 out of pocket total.

Thanks for calrifying. Congrats on the winnings that's awesome!

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
legal schmegal, if the harry reid moneyed gambling outfits aren't getting a cut, they will be on the radar soon.

the bought and paid for justice system is not a game of chance either.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
I used to play video games, online poker and fantasy football. What made me change is that I found that my online businesses suffered because I spent 1 hour playing a game which I could have spent on my business. When I quit playing these games, I found that online business was very much like a video game except winners are scored by how much money you make.

Yes, you can do business and play these things. But for me, it was just another distraction since I never felt like working on my business, i.e. stare at a computer screen, after I've been looking at a screen for an hour or two.

yep...but man some of those games are so good. Witcher 3, ugh.

Balance is everything but the attitude when you have a biz is video games are for those slow days/nights once or twice a week when you play a game and you can walk away after 30-45 mins. Problem is that's the opposite of what gamers do.

Shades

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 8, 2011

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ

It gets a lot easier when you see results directly too. If you know that hour cost you $200 or something it gets pretty easy to say "yeah, f this."

G

Guest14692

If you knew the % owned of each player before the tournament without anyone else having that information, I would suspect that you could decrease the amount of lineups you would need to hit a large prize by 50%.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.