The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

WTF!? did my employer just auto enroll me into retirement plan?

A post of a ranting nature...

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
People does anyone know wtf this is? i just got it in the mail this chilly sunday afternoon... was just ready to exercise, shower and go about my business when this shit just derailed my day!

WTF is Voya!?!?

WTF is 2473 Vanguard Trgt Retire 2055 Fnd Inv

WTF does it mean "100% election"

Gotta wait till monday to talk to a representative as it says on the bottom...

I went to www.voyaretirementplans.com and i need to register lol... wtf is this BS!!!

On the site and on the phone i was asked to enter my social security number to log in or something, is this a real company? Safe to do it?

I already canceled my 401k when i first got the job 2 years ago before it even started, now they wanna pester me with more slowlane bs... wtf man!!! i didn't ask for this!
WTFISTHJIS.jpg

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Talk to HR. No one here can fully answer your questions.

But until tomorrow, just go about your day. You have 0 control over that today.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
yes sir.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
It's a piece of mail and it threw your day off? Even if your company wants you to enroll, you have the power to say no! Why get upset about it.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
Derailed may have been too strong a word lol im good.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
People does anyone know wtf this is? i just got it in the mail this chilly sunday afternoon... was just ready to exercise, shower and go about my business when this shit just derailed my day!

WTF is Voya!?!?

I went to www.voyaretirementplans.com and i need to register lol... wtf is this BS!!!

On the site and on the phone i was asked to enter my social security number to log in or something, is this a real company? Safe to do it?

I already canceled my 401k when i first got the job 2 years ago before it even started, now they wanna pester me with more slowlane bs... wtf man!!! i didn't ask for this!
View attachment 10712

All this means is that if you decided to contribute into your retirement plan, 100% of your contributions are going into that fund.

Most likely what happened is that your company switched their 401k provider and the choices of funds changed. So then they pick one that all your contributions would go into. I'm sure you have a choice of funds, so this means that everything you invest will go there. If you are invest 0% then it doesn't matter.

MakeMoreMoves

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
May 19, 2015
My job has an auto enroll if you don't do anything. Because to them it is free money. They automatically match the %. But yeah made me think. I just started a business but putting like 12% into retirement. Feel dumb doing it, but it's my safety plan in case the entrepreneur thing doesn't work

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
518%
May 29, 2013
This is pretty much commonplace now to have you auto-enrolled. You have to now opt-out instead of opting in.

Employers make money off retirement plans. Trust in that.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
This is pretty much commonplace now to have you auto-enrolled. You have to now opt-out instead of opting in.

Employers make money off retirement plans. Trust in that.
The highly paid employees need enough rank in file employees to play so they can too.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
My job has an auto enroll if you don't do anything. Because to them it is free money. They automatically match the %. But yeah made me think. I just started a business but putting like 12% into retirement. Feel dumb doing it, but it's my safety plan in case the entrepreneur thing doesn't work

I don't have a backup plan, its do or die.

anyways ill call tomorrow to confirm about this. Like i said i canceled my 401k before it even began.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
well i called them up, its what biophase said. All good.

MadStacks

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jan 31, 2015

WTF is Voya!?!?

View attachment 10712

voya is ING. they changed names

Mineralogic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jul 28, 2014
this is how the system enforced a financial "new world order". Everyone is invested in the FED and Treasury Machine which includes Public Stock Investing

GIlman

Still Gilman
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
605%
Oct 16, 2014
There is nothing wrong with saving by your employer retirement plan, if it's a matched contribution it is smart up to the limit of their contribution. I mean if you put in $1 and your employer matches that you have 100% interest at time zero. Think of it this way, if the market drops by 1/2, you are still even since the 1/2 lost was money from your employer u would not have had otherwise. It's free investment insurance to you.

If a few percent of your paycheck is going to kill you, you probably need to assess your spending in general.

BUT..you should not rely on it, or any other single thing. Think of it as diversification, not a savior to retirement, these people are at enormous risk...you don't want to be one of these people with all ur eggs in one basket.

Then bust your butt, and make your business a reality. Your retirement will still be an asset, just not a major one in relation to your other financial resources.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ToniLene

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Sep 9, 2015
I don't have a backup plan, its do or die.

anyways ill call tomorrow to confirm about this. Like i said i canceled my 401k before it even began.

Smart business people have 20 back up plans, lol. There is no such thing as 'do or die' unless you're already over the cliff. Plans change, markets change, so having a backup plan makes you otherwise known as a rational adult. No shame in it.

qu1ksilver

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jun 26, 2015
Wales
Smart business people have 20 back up plans, lol. There is no such thing as 'do or die' unless you're already over the cliff. Plans change, markets change, so having a backup plan makes you otherwise known as a rational adult. No shame in it.

Completely agree. There is a distinct difference between being committed and being prepared. The two aren't mutually exclusive

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
nope im good, i don't want any part in any 401k, retirements, etc etc plans and whatnot.
All my eggs are in the fastlane basket, i don't see any other basket worth touching.

If i don't make it then so be it ill die broke and hungry under the interstate bridge with a smile on my face, because at least i tried.

Michael W.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Mar 2, 2009
Ok City, OK
nope im good, i don't want any part in any 401k, retirements, etc etc plans and whatnot.
All my eggs are in the fastlane basket, i don't see any other basket worth touching.

If i don't make it then so be it ill die broke and hungry under the interstate bridge with a smile on my face, because at least i tried.
Lol. Wow. Just. Wow. Wow.

Michael W.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Mar 2, 2009
Ok City, OK
There is nothing wrong with saving by your employer retirement plan, if it's a matched contribution it is smart up to the limit of their contribution. I mean if you put in $1 and your employer matches that you have 100% interest at time zero. Think of it this way, if the market drops by 1/2, you are still even since the 1/2 lost was money from your employer u would not have had otherwise. It's free investment insurance to you.

If a few percent of your paycheck is going to kill you, you probably need to assess your spending in general.

BUT..you should not rely on it, or any other single thing. Think of it as diversification, not a savior to retirement, these people are at enormous risk...you don't want to be one of these people with all ur eggs in one basket.

Then bust your butt, and make your business a reality. Your retirement will still be an asset, just not a major one in relation to your other financial resources.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for this.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.