The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Healthy Fast Food - Breakfast

Shredder83

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Aug 16, 2015
Wanted to get your thoughts on this... With the healthy, non-GMO, organic, etc. movement gaining more traction by day - it seems like, there still aren't any fast and healthy breakfast options.

My idea was to open up a mobile food truck serving healthy breakfast in a fast, clean and convenient way. The breakfast will mostly be based on nutritious shakes, since those are the fastest to make and most profitable. Thoughts?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Shredder83

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Aug 16, 2015
Breakfast and food truck in one sentence doesnt sound fast or convenient to me.

hah! Thanks for this. Could you be more specific? Is it the drive thru you're concerned about?

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Driving to the food truck instead of having breakfast at home or in the office...

Shredder83

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Aug 16, 2015
Driving to the food truck instead of having breakfast at home or in the office...

While that is true, then wouldn't that apply to the fast food industry as a whole? Meaning, people who use fast food go there for convenience of getting it quickly vs. preparing it at home or in the office.

Also, food truck is just a first stage of the business initiation. Later, there will be stand-alone restaurant with drive-thru's.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
While that is true, then wouldn't that apply to the fast food industry as a whole? Meaning, people who use fast food go there for convenience of getting it quickly vs. preparing it at home or in the office.

Also, food truck is just a first stage of the business initiation. Later, there will be stand-alone restaurant with drive-thru's.
Well I'm just speaking for myself. I try to minimize time spent on food so I simply have a protein shake and 2 bananas at home before I head to the office. So I actually like your idea of breakfast shakes, I just wouldnt want to drive somewhere to get it. If you had the truck next to my home or office, then yes. But I wouldnt take a detour for it, because that would actually be less convenient for me. If you can get a spot in a busy central business district, it might work well. People with money to spend, no time, want to be healthy to have energy in business etc.

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
I like the plan/idea, but maybe a product (something you can buy and eat whenever, that takes little to no prep) would be a better idea?

Breakfast is one meal where I feel you need to sit down to eat it. Lunch? Not so much, that's why food trucks are so popular IMO. Lunch can be on the go, breakfast? I dunno so much.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Healthy food delivered to my office sounds very interesting

I think you're onto something. The ol' bagel store model. Ship in a bunch of bagels to the offices in the city and have employees munch on those... except now with healthier options.

All you really need is a decent selection of fruits, yogurts, oat-type cereals, nuts, and some sort of protein shake options. Sell them in NYC, SF, Seattle, Austin, Toronto or Vancouver first.

Now you can either sell (1) the pack of food to the business (might be tough but definitely doable, especially to startups concerned primarily with culture) (2) the food to the individuals in the office (and have an employee/machine + the food taking up space in the office) or (3) the food to the individuals by delivery.

There, you now have scale, convenience, and easy access to your market (people who want to eat healthy).

I want to see this happen.

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
I'd rather have a breakfast bar that is actually healthy. Not some cereal bar sugar-fest or "healthy" fruit drink- http://www.medicaldaily.com/5-unhealthy-breakfast-ideas-245928

All of the current options that have some health credibility (homemade shakes, eggs, fruit, yogurt) either require prep work, or are not convenient "on the go" type foods. I'm a big fan of Quest Bars, but if I didn't work out that morning I feel disgusted with myself for eating some cookie bar, even if it only has 200 calories.

Bellini

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Mar 26, 2015
Dallas, TX
Wanted to get your thoughts on this... With the healthy, non-GMO, organic, etc. movement gaining more traction by day - it seems like, there still aren't any fast and healthy breakfast options.

My idea was to open up a mobile food truck serving healthy breakfast in a fast, clean and convenient way. The breakfast will mostly be based on nutritious shakes, since those are the fastest to make and most profitable. Thoughts?

I really like the idea, but I don't like the whole "shake" thing. I'm not into those.

We already have tons of 'health shake' places around where I live and I don't patronize their business because:

#1. I don't like those type of sweet drinks
#2. they are way over priced

I like real food for breakfast... like meat, protein, etc. I can't handle all the high-carb breads, sweets and fruity stuff people eat and drink.

But that's just me. I would go with whatever is popular in your area.

Vassilios

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Jan 5, 2015
I think the shake delivery for a whole company or division would be awesome. do some real hippy shit (i like hippy shit) like chia seeds, kale, nut butters. you could even get caffeine powder and say its the equivalent of 2 cups of coffee

NVious

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jun 12, 2015
"healthy"

Get something micronutrient dense, hit your macros and make sure it's tasty.

G2G

hellolin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 27, 2015
You can't, over 80% of the corn products in the USA are GMOs, and virtually everything sold in the supermarket has corn products in it.

D

Deleted20833

You can even do some "guerrilla marketing"and hang around whole foods
or something to get market research or to make your pitch to likely consumers

Shredder83

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Aug 16, 2015
I'd rather have a breakfast bar that is actually healthy. Not some cereal bar sugar-fest or "healthy" fruit drink- http://www.medicaldaily.com/5-unhealthy-breakfast-ideas-245928

All of the current options that have some health credibility (homemade shakes, eggs, fruit, yogurt) either require prep work, or are not convenient "on the go" type foods. I'm a big fan of Quest Bars, but if I didn't work out that morning I feel disgusted with myself for eating some cookie bar, even if it only has 200 calories.

Hah! Don't know where you got all of this from but 100% agreed!! Want to be as far away as possible from "cookie bar"... BTW, your Quest bars are really not that great either (speaking from lots of research on meal replacement bars) and if you're interested I can recommend you a lot healthier options for you.

Requiring prep work for healthy breakfast, is the entire point of this service. As you stated, this is not instant and the shakes I'm talking about would be 100% organic, vegan and sweet only if the veggie or a fruit inside of it feels like releasing some fructose.

Shredder83

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Aug 16, 2015
I really like the idea, but I don't like the whole "shake" thing. I'm not into those.

We already have tons of 'health shake' places around where I live and I don't patronize their business because:

#1. I don't like those type of sweet drinks
#2. they are way over priced

I like real food for breakfast... like meat, protein, etc. I can't handle all the high-carb breads, sweets and fruity stuff people eat and drink.

But that's just me. I would go with whatever is popular in your area.

Very good points and exactly the type of feedback I'm looking for. Cheers!

Shredder83

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Aug 16, 2015
I think the shake delivery for a whole company or division would be awesome. do some real hippy shit (i like hippy shit) like chia seeds, kale, nut butters. you could even get caffeine powder and say its the equivalent of 2 cups of coffee

Hahah! This made me laugh. Awesome stuff, thank you.

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
Hah! Don't know where you got all of this from but 100% agreed!! Want to be as far away as possible from "cookie bar"... BTW, your Quest bars are really not that great either (speaking from lots of research on meal replacement bars) and if you're interested I can recommend you a lot healthier options for you.

I respectfully disagree, but I'm open to suggestions.

To be honest I really don't give a shit about this organic or whole foods craze. I like Quest Bars because they have tons of protein, very little carbs or sugar, and actually taste good (a rare feat.)

IrishSpring600

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 24, 2013
My idea was to open up a mobile food truck serving healthy breakfast in a fast, clean and convenient way.

If fast is anything less than two minutes, my friend this is impossible. Read this article: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michael-hobbes/processed-foods_b_3747105.html

What sticks out to me about that article is that fast food is unhealthy because the ingredients need to have a high shelf-life. They include a lot of preservatives to do this. This causes the food to lose its otherwise-regular taste.

Last edited:
D

Deleted20833

Some guy is killing it in my city with your idea
He's meal prepping healthy meals for people

24eozer.jpg

TG_Hawk

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Feb 26, 2015
Los Angeles, CA

I like the idea, but you're fighting a couple battles here. One is many people in general don't eat breakfast at all. Even if you offered them a convenient way to pick up a healthy meal, would they go out of their way to do it? On the other hand, you have people like me who eat large breakfasts, but they're very simple and easy to prepare. An egg scramble with turkey and spinach and a bowl of oatmeal takes me about 10 minutes to make and 10 minutes to eat. It's also cheaper unless you can find a way to offer me the same meal for less or equal to what I pay in groceries for those items.

I think your target audience are the folks who want bfast but don't have time to prepare, and the folks who are already eating fast food for breakfast. The major issue you need to solve is how to convince these folks that going out of their way to seek you out every morning is worth the healthier meal...unless of course you can design a way to deliver their breakfast to their office. That would be ideal because there's dozens of drive-thru options between home and work. I do think there's a big market for it or else why would Taco Bell and Subway be serving breakfast?

You need a reliable distribution model and a menu of items that can be eaten in the car or on-the-go. Like someone already sid, breakfast is not a sit down meal, most people want it fast and quick. Think egg white sandwiches with options of veggie and protein add ons. Find a staple that sets you apart and give the customer the choice to build their own sandwich, or something like that. Good luck!

TG_Hawk

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Feb 26, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Some guy is killing it in my city with your idea
He's meal prepping healthy meals for people

24eozer.jpg

There were businesses like this on Shark Tank and The Profit. How is your local guy doing? The biggest obstacles I saw were pricing and distribution. They had to charge pretty high prices to cover all overhead and expenses, and their distribution has to be spot on because the meals have to be delivered fresh. Also, can you deliver a week's worth of meals to someone and expect the food to taste good or do you deliver a fresh one everyday? Your costs would go up considerably with multiple trips per week to the same customers but the food quality would be much better. Just some thoughts, I do like the idea though.

Shredder83

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Aug 16, 2015
There were businesses like this on Shark Tank and The Profit. How is your local guy doing? The biggest obstacles I saw were pricing and distribution. They had to charge pretty high prices to cover all overhead and expenses, and their distribution has to be spot on because the meals have to be delivered fresh. Also, can you deliver a week's worth of meals to someone and expect the food to taste good or do you deliver a fresh one everyday? Your costs would go up considerably with multiple trips per week to the same customers but the food quality would be much better. Just some thoughts, I do like the idea though.

Proof of concept works... different idea though. As you stated in a previous post, breakfast has to be fast and convenient but for health conscious people it would be a godsend to grab something healthy on the way to work. Personally, I like to eat breakfast but a lot of times I find myself running late with not enough time to prepare a decent meal for myself in the morning. Quick drive through, where I would know I can always get something decent would alright... I think.

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
I like the idea, but you're fighting a couple battles here. One is many people in general don't eat breakfast at all. Even if you offered them a convenient way to pick up a healthy meal, would they go out of their way to do it? On the other hand, you have people like me who eat large breakfasts, but they're very simple and easy to prepare. An egg scramble with turkey and spinach and a bowl of oatmeal takes me about 10 minutes to make and 10 minutes to eat. It's also cheaper unless you can find a way to offer me the same meal for less or equal to what I pay in groceries for those items.

I think your target audience are the folks who want bfast but don't have time to prepare, and the folks who are already eating fast food for breakfast. The major issue you need to solve is how to convince these folks that going out of their way to seek you out every morning is worth the healthier meal...unless of course you can design a way to deliver their breakfast to their office. That would be ideal because there's dozens of drive-thru options between home and work. I do think there's a big market for it or else why would Taco Bell and Subway be serving breakfast?

You need a reliable distribution model and a menu of items that can be eaten in the car or on-the-go. Like someone already sid, breakfast is not a sit down meal, most people want it fast and quick. Think egg white sandwiches with options of veggie and protein add ons. Find a staple that sets you apart and give the customer the choice to build their own sandwich, or something like that. Good luck!

I think you meant me in that bold bit, but I actually think it's the other way round. Everyone is different though. I like to sit down for breakfast, if I can't, because I'm busy or whatever then I skip it, like you and others have mentioned.

Lunch though? I don't mind that on the go. Dinner, I want to sit down again, and I want to enjoy it.

Anyway, the point is this; if you find a market for whatever it is you want to do, or think there is a market for a certain thing, then give it a shot and see what happens! I heard of a guy who made his own cereal once, sounded amazing to me, but he gave up because he couldn't get start-up capital (I wasn't sure he even needed it though, needed to start small and build imo).

Maybe you've done the reverse even? Found the market but need to come up with the product? Well, why not give a little something a trial? One of the things I'm going to be talking about in the next thread I post is a food related business. Maybe we can bounce ideas off each other?

I don't want to change the topic of the thread, or derail it, but would anyone reading this be interested in receiving samples of food products to taste and give feedback on? (might be helpful to the op too if he comes up with an idea).

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.