The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is Amazon officially a pimp?

Fotis

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Feb 26, 2014
Here is an e-mail by Steve Scott. He is well known for his "how to" books and he is talking about the recent changes in Amazon and what he intends to do about them.

I was wondering if any fiction writer would chime in and give his/her opinion on that matter. @ChickenHawk already said that this change is going to be a positive development for them.

Things are changing fast with self-publishing on Amazon.

If you haven’t heard, they recently shifted the royalty structure for books within KDP Select. No longer will you be compensated on a “per borrow” basis. Instead you’re paid around $0.0058 per page read. Do the math and you’d see that this negatively impacts people who write shorter books (i.e. under 200 pages.)

I’m not going to lie to you…

This is has definitely hurt my business. But it also forced me to adapt and become more proactive with testing new marketing strategies.

One tool I’ve recently tested is BookBub.com.

This site is the holy grail of all discounted book promotion services. They have millions of email subscribers, broken down into a few dozen categories. Authors know that landing a listing here could lead to thousands of potential sales.

The challenge?

It’s very hard to get a listing in BookBub. In fact, I was rejected about 10 times until they recently decided to promote 10-Minute Declutter (the book I co-authored with Barrie Davenport.)

The promotion has had phenomenal results. It launched on Saturday and since then, we have sold around 7,000 copies (here’s a screenshot) and the book went as high as #10 overall on the paid charts.

Now, like I said, it’s pretty hard to get a BookBub listing, but there were a few factors that I think helped me land this deal:

#1. Understand What BookBub Wants
Remember BookBub is a business. They will only promote titles they know that people will want to buy. So while your book might be full of helpful advice, it might not be a right fit for their email subscribers.
How do you know what BookBub wants?
It’s simple…
Subscribe to their email list.
Go to their home page, enter your email address and then customize your categories to get notifications related to the types of books that you write. Once you’ve subscribed, you’ll start to receive emails based on your personalized preferences.
I recommend taking a close look at each email that lands in your inbox. This will give you the best education on what BookBub thinks will sell.

#2. Have a Great Book Presentation

Again, remember BookBub is a business, so they will only promote something they feel will generate sales.
To that end, make sure your book has the following characteristics:
  • Over 150 Kindle pages in length
  • Professional book cover design
  • High number of reviews…at least 50
  • Compelling book description that “sells” the value of the book.
These are just a few characteristics of titles I’ve seen promoted by BookBub, but you should also take the time to check out what they’re constantly promoting.

#3. “Sell” Book to BookBub

Like I mentioned before, I have been rejected by BookBub about 10 times in the past. So what did I do differently this time? It’s simple… I took the time to “sell” my book to the good folks at BB.

Most people are lazy when it comes to submitting a book. They’ll fill out the necessary information (i.e. dates, price, Amazon links) and maybe add a sentence or two in the comment box. But they usually won’t do is tell BookBub why they should promote their book.
For 10-Minute Declutter, I crafted the following email:

“My co-author (Barrie Davenport) and I feel that 10-Minute Declutter is a book that BookBub readers will love.
First off, it relates to a topic (minimalism and organization) which has frequently been featured in the Advice/How-to emails that BookBub sends out. Your subscribers seem to absolutely love this type of information.
Second, unlike many other minimalist/organization books we provide a framework that readers can follow in their spare time. Instead of telling readers that they need to organize their possessions all at once, we show how they can turn this activity into a daily, 10-minute habit. This is a habit that can fit into anyone's busy schedule.
Finally, 10-Minute Declutter has been professionally edited and formatted. So we feel subscribers will enjoy the easy-to-read and plain advice that we give throughout the book.
Please let me know if you have any questions about the book.
Thanks in advance,
Steve Scott”

This wasn’t my best piece of writing. But it does a pretty good job of selling the value of the book.
Earlier, I described how the rules at Amazon are changing. So now it’s more important than ever to be strategic about how you manage your book-based business. BookBub can become an important aspect of your business, but it should be part of a larger strategy where you’re constantly testing and promoting your entire catalog.

That’s what I’m currently doing.

And when I learn something new, you will be one of the first people to hear about it.
Talk soon…
Steve Scott

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

Fotis

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Feb 26, 2014
I think what will happen is what MJ loosely mentions in TMF . "When poor people sell, Warren Buffet buys" etc. The smart authors will continue publishing and the scammers will stop doing it. Not sure why Amazon does that though.

Mineralogic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Jul 28, 2014
If the new model has the effect of sending out of business all the shit peddlers on Amazon I'm all for it.

TONS of morons selling on Amazon with fake reviews, etc. Couldn't believe some of the stuff I saw a few months ago

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
It seems every few months there's some landmark "change" in the internet ecosystem that ruffles feathers. A Google algo change, a FB term change, an Amazon change of payment terms, etc. etc.

At the end of the day none of this shit affects me because I'm not spending my time learning how to GAME these systems. It's always the GAMERS, the money chasers who get hurt by these changes because they're pumping questionable shit into the ecosystem. Bad ebooks, bad SEO pages that only front for affiliate pages -- get the picture?

When you're focused on value you become immune to a lot of this shit. These companies implicitly want to steer their customers toward value because MORE value equals a justification for higher prices. And higher prices = higher profits.

Something to think about.

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
Holy cow! That's a dollar seventy for a 300 page book, and only if they finish it.

Control epic fail.
Nah, it's for kindle page, not book page. Longer works end up being paid more for a complete read.

EricZ

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 18, 2014
Germany & California
It's not a pitch for book bub, it's a "I'm pissed off because I'm not getting paid as much as before" from thousands of authors.

It's also not cleaning out the bad books in amazon, it is specifically rewarding longer books, especially longer books in the KU-KDP program.
(Although I also wouldn't mind if -zon cleaned up the garbage)

Exactly the stuff that Mike Shreeve gets into in this interview:
http://www.zbooks.co/2015/08/zbooks-dives-deep-with-mike-shreeve.html

There are plenty of short books of high quality, so some authors are seeing this as a penalty.
I also tend to agree, book length is totaly irelevant.
Check out one of the shortes books of all time that was a huge hit -also in print- and is super short:
http://www.amazon.com/Works-Famous-Little-Makes-Dreams-ebook/dp/B005X7F49C/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1441273425&sr=1-1&keywords=it works

HOWEVER, if you listen to the Mike Shreeve interview above, you will see how he actually takes advantage of the system, in short you get paid for pages read- offering books for free in the KU-KDP program.

Regardless of flexibility, and business models, and the ever changing market, I think this only leads to one thing - build your own damned email list!
Then you don't care about the platforms etc.

p.s. there is a really good slideshare by Mark Coker where he shows hard statistics about which books make more money. When it comes to fiction - books above 200,000 words sell better! 300,000 is even better. Just search Mark Coker in slideshare.

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
That entire email just seems like a pitch for BookBub.com.
Ah! Maybe turns out he's been accepted not for his email but for the pitch.
p.s. there is a really good slideshare by Mark Coker where he shows hard statistics about which books make more money. When it comes to fiction - books above 200,000 words sell better! 300,000 is even better. Just search Mark Coker in slideshare.
Sure you don't mean 200 pages? 200k words are 800 pages, 300k are 1200 pages - I don't see all these indie above-thousand pages tomes having breakthrough success. I looked it up, but there are dozens of slideshows by that guy.

EricZ

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 18, 2014
Germany & California
Ah! Maybe turns out he's been accepted not for his email but for the pitch.
Sure you don't mean 200 pages? 200k words are 800 pages, 300k are 1200 pages - I don't see all these indie above-thousand pages tomes having breakthrough success. I looked it up, but there are dozens of slideshows by that guy.
Hafta check the slideshare again...it's also a youtube video, but the numbers were definitely 200,000 and 300,000

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.