The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How they made $10 Million in 90 days with an app

SEBASTlAN

Marketing Wizard
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Dec 22, 2014
Los Angeles

Rinzler

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
May 21, 2014
Northern California
What a great article! I'm pretty impressed with how they set up their revenue stream. I might download the game just to see how it all works.
Thanks for sharing!

chris_chringle

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jun 20, 2013
Houston, TX
Ha, I can attest to their brilliant strategy. I was hooked for 2 weeks straight and spent a few bucks on characters simply because I wanted to. Removing the barrier to gameplay makes it a joy to play. I didn't know it was $10M joyous though.

dirk.wert.3

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Apr 13, 2015

Rinzler

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
May 21, 2014
Northern California
As inspiring as this story is to me, I know I wouldn't be able to pick up enough knowledge in programming to make a successful game. I have plenty of game ideas, but zero coding skills. I don't know if it's true that it takes years to learn enough to make a successful game, (even one as simple as flappy bird or crossy road) or if I'm just paying too much attention to the general consensus about how learning to code is "stupid".

dirk.wert.3

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Apr 13, 2015
As inspiring as this story is to me, I know I wouldn't be able to pick up enough knowledge in programming to make a successful game. I have plenty of game ideas, but zero coding skills. I don't know if it's true that it takes years to learn enough to make a successful game, (even one as simple as flappy bird or crossy road) or if I'm just paying too much attention to the general consensus about how learning to code is "stupid".
Learning code is most definitely not stupid its just a question if that's the right way to go about it.
If you truly feel your ideas are great but have no interest in getting so involved there are companies that will make your app for free if they like the idea. Just make sure they're not just going to ripe you off.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Rinzler

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
May 21, 2014
Northern California
Learning code is most definitely not stupid it's just a question its just a question if that's the right way to go about it.
If you truly feel your ideas are great but have no interest in getting so involved there are companies that will make your app for free if they like the idea. Just make sure they're not just going to ripe you off.

That's what I thought. I've been starting with web design, and while I understand it's not programming, I do enjoy what I've been learning. Having grown up playing video games, creating a game from start to finish is something I've been wanting to do for the last five years but I feel like it goes against everything I've learned. Especially after reading TMF .

Didn't mean to thread jack.
I still can't stop playing the game, highest score is 103 at the moment with 7 unlocked characters. After seeing it in action, their revenue model is genius. Not annoying, and doesn't interrupt gameplay at all.

Veloce Grey

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 24, 2014

The article you link to is ok but the first line is its own amusing case study of the internet in 2015....

"I’m sure everyone has this game on their phone at this point"

No they don't. Many people do, many people don't. Many people wouldn't know it from a talking bar of soap.

People are in so many silos online now that they think whatever is common to them is universal. They post crap on facebook to their friends with similar beliefs and assume any resulting likes mean they're correct and 99% of the world agrees with them and the 1% who don't are evil/uneducated/brainwashed etc.

Unrelated to Crossy Road of course but the quote just serves as a reminder of the value of testing rather than just assuming everyone exists in your world. The more everyone assumes everyone else thinks the same as them, the more likely any product or service they build is likely to flounder like an overprotected child when finally let loose into the brutal world that is the marketplace.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
The very difficult part of making games is not the programming per se, it's the game design.
Outsourcing games gets very expensive because you have to test the game a million times to hit the sweet spot while the costs add up.
Learning how to make games yourself can indeed take years, but you have full control and understanding of your product, and when you do get good enough it feels great to envision a game and knowing you're skilled enough to create it. It also helps to know when you're biting off more than you can chew and back off before investing too much time into it.

I feel that if you have full time programmers working for you, then go ahead and be a game designer exclusively. That is my long term plan, for now i'll make the games myself and save thousands upon thousands of dollars i can't even hope to save up...

It's a win win at the end, my experience making games will really help me communicate with any programmers i'd hire in the future because i can think from their perspective and have a sense for unreasonable expectations.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.