The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Couple Who Quit Their Ad Jobs to Travel the World Ended Up Poor and Scrubbing Toilets The uglier

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Burned the ships while two miles from shore......

ddzc

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
May 22, 2012
Toronto
On my local motorcycle forum (gtamotorcycle.com) a couple sold all of their possessions, house, etc to ride around the world.

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...old-our-home-and-everything-in-it-gone-riding

They started in 2012 and I think they're still going strong. The story went somewhat viral though, so every country, city they visited, someone volunteered to feed them or house them for free. I think it's pretty damn awesome but you need a solid action plan (or incredible luck like this story) or you'll end up broke like the couple in this thread.

Last edited:

Damage Inc.

There's no return from 86
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
Dec 30, 2014
Pennsylvania
The title is a little deceiving, they didn't exactly fail give up and then go poor. As I understand it their plan all along was to work odd jobs to make their way around - but now they're just sharing how long, dirty, and rough the work is. Either way I think most of us here would agree that it would be way more enjoyable to either save the money first and then travel, or create some kind of location independent income and then travel. The trip sounds miserable to me, I wouldn't want to scrub toilets whether they're in Pennsylvania, Paris, or Heaven. But they claim they still enjoy it and don't regret it so good for them.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
The trip sounds miserable to me

+1000. But yea, it certainly makes for good headlines don't it?

Certainly destroys the Fastlane equivalent:
30 year old couple worth millions travels the world in luxury amid champagne and caviar. <-- who wants to read about that?

You see, if you retire at 35 years old while living on thrifty deprivation, eating roadkill and expired meat found dumpster-diving behind Publix it's news worthy-- if you retire at 35 years old while worth millions and living in luxury-- well, the public aint so much interested in that. ;)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
The title is a little deceiving, they didn't exactly fail give up and then go poor. As I understand it their plan all along was to work odd jobs to make their way around - but now they're just sharing how long, dirty, and rough the work is. Either way I think most of us here would agree that it would be way more enjoyable to either save the money first and then travel, or create some kind of location independent income and then travel. The trip sounds miserable to me, I wouldn't want to scrub toilets whether they're in Pennsylvania, Paris, or Heaven. But they claim they still enjoy it and don't regret it so good for them.

I went to their blog and read a few posts. They seemed like they had an overly romantic vision of how their travels would be, but I definitely agree that they haven't necessarily "failed" in their quest. They knew it would be hard to do it the way they've chosen, but maybe not just how hard.

That said, it would probably be hard for most people on this forum (including me!!!) to get out of the entrepreneurial mindset and understand why on earth they haven't managed to set up a monthly income that will help support them (even if they still have to work odd jobs). I don't know for sure that they haven't done so, but they don't talk about it on their site as far as I can see.

BUT, I am 100% sure that when they are done with this experiment, they will have experienced tons of things that I can't even imagine and will be completely different people - for better or for worse. It might really work out to have been a really positive experience. Sometimes, some of the toughest things are.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
That sounded like what they planned to do all along. (Maybe not exactly scrub toilets, but pay for their trip doing odd jobs)

If they want to be wanderers, vagabonds, taking the odd job here and there... that's for them. It's their romantic dream.

We don't want that, of course... but it doesn't look like 'failure' to me. It looks more like 'they did exactly what they planned to do and found that it was actually really hard'

hellolin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 27, 2015
People that are in the US who wants to travel around the world when they are young, should really consider to join the US navy and volunteer to go on deployments on a small ship...you will be busy but the travel is well worth it while earn a living and free education afterwards....definitely worth it.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Well... there is this paragraph that makes it seem like they are overall happy with their situation:

"Even though we probably have more greys than when we started, dirt under our nails despite long showers, and cheap snack food as a main form of nutrition, this crazy lifestyle allows us to enjoy the freedom of exploring rich Swedish forests, never-ending Nordic fjords, Italian cobbled alleyways, and cosmopolitan cities. We have time to brainstorm our own ideas, and push our own creative experiments. It's like heaven for us."

I mean... if you travel with a limited budget and no pre-planned idea of how to work around that limitation, this has to be what you should expect I would think. I don't think there's any part of the world that lets you buy things with good intentions - at some point you have to work, and if you aren't a local you should probably expect to be doing whatever you can find no matter how ugly it is.

Now if they had passive income businesses throwing even a little income their way they could likely be avoiding this mess entirely.

OscarDeuce

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Nov 28, 2014
Northern Virginia
I don't get it. Somehow, having to scrub toilets in order to eat isn't my idea of freedom. In any case, I don't get the whole travel thing. Unless you're one of the lucky few who can stoke up the Gulfstream and go, it's a huge hassle. I used to travel extensively but being harassed by airport security, being harassed by airline employees, being harassed by customs (usually when trying to re-enter the US), and being ripped off by the locals just isn't very enticing.

Cheers,
O-2

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
"Even though we probably have more greys than when we started, dirt under our nails despite long showers, and cheap snack food as a main form of nutrition, this crazy lifestyle allows us to enjoy the freedom of exploring rich Swedish forests, never-ending Nordic fjords, Italian cobbled alleyways, and cosmopolitan cities. We have time to brainstorm our own ideas, and push our own creative experiments. It's like heaven for us."

Sounds a lot like Nick Woodman before starting GoPro.

jason91

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
May 15, 2015
USA
I don't see why they didn't monetize their story somehow... youtube, website ads, affiliate links, hell even a donate to keep us going button.. Lol, when you have that many people reading your story why would you scrub toilets instead of providing entertainment for them :confused:

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
consider to join the US navy and volunteer to go on deployments on a small ship
Lol if only it was that easy.

Hell, for the first few months/years they'd be doing the exact same thing they're doing now, minus the traveling part.

[x]Carrying around heavy packs
[x]Cleaning shitters
[x]5 hours of sleep a night
[x]Whining on social media

Dwight Schrute

Ludicrous Speed
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Oct 27, 2014
where eagles dare
Lol if only it was that easy.
+1

Back when I served in the army I had a long conversation with a member of the "Hunting Commando".
(Our version of the Navy Seals)

These guys get around a lot.
When I asked him about the travelling aspect, he just laughed and said:

"Yeah it's kinda cool, but you don't get to see much of the country.
The majority of the time you look through a scope and focus on your target."

Hassen

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Mar 13, 2015
+1

Back when I served in the army I had a long conversation with a member of the "Hunting Commando".
(Our version of the Navy Seals)

These guys get around a lot.
When I asked him about the travelling aspect, he just laughed and said:

"Yeah it's kinda cool, but you don't get to see much of the country.
The majority of the time you look through a scope and focus on your target."
It's much better to get into diplomatic services for free legit travel where you get to know the country quite a bit & education especially when it comes to linguistic matters, often also subsided education for your children in privileged international institutions.
Granted it's harder than enlisting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!