The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Favorite Life Hacks ~ What Are They?

Will Bauer

Either you run the day or the day runs you.
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Oct 25, 2014
Paderborn
Power naps (15-20 minutes).
I wake up refreshed and more alert. I've been doing this for 2 years and recommending them to anyone.
I'm like a power-nap evangelist.

Work in 25-minute blocks, and take a rest of 5 mins.
It's know as the Pomodoro technique. When I use it I can really do lot of works without feeling tired at the end of the day (even when I train for 2-3 hours). In the 5 mins rest I usually stretch, do some pushups or some other little task.

And my latest addition to the arsenal of life hacks..

How to See Without Glasses :pompus:

Amazing hack. I will definitely use this in the future :D

D

DeletedUser394

I don't know if this is a life hack, but I find myself spending too much time on the net.

A week or two ago I set up a Chrome app called 'StayFocusd' (actual spelling).

I inputted all of the sites that I use too much (like this one). It gives me a set limit to how long I can browse these sites each day. Every couple of days I lower the amount of minutes I'm allowed. Works well, and I find myself forced to do other, more important priorities/tasks.

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
A week or two ago I set up a Chrome app called 'StayFocusd' (actual spelling).

I inputted all of the sites that I use too much (like this one).

I've used it on and off. But I recently re-installed it and yeah, this site is on the list. It helps.

EDIT: I cheat, though. I disable it completely sometimes. I'm going to look into the settings more and get serious.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mikhail Joseph

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Feb 13, 2014
Australia
one of my favorite life hacks... Hmm, let me see.

I save the refillable cups from subway and IKEA so that when I go back next time, I can still have a drink and save the money I would have spent towards something that will help my future.

Cheap/10.

I also ride a motorbike because I only have to spend 15 - 20 every 3 weeks for fuel. ;)

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
518%
May 29, 2013
I could write a ton about this subject...

However, a lot of you guys have listed some awesome stuff and I don't want to duplicate anything ( one of my life hacks ) already shared as that would be a waste

I'll share some that might not be "life hacks", but might just be quirks of mine:
  • Theme your days
    This might seem impossible for busy entreprenuers who wear many hats, but it's the same idea as batching.. but for the whole day ( or until you run out of that batch work ).

For example, my Mondays = Marketing. I do all my marketing tasks for the week on this day and I do them first before any other tasks. You will always have other tasks that day, but do all your marketing that day and do it first ( eat that frog ). When done, do the other stuff.

Fridays = Financials. I do all my financial stuff on Friday like pay affiliates, paying myself, paying bills ( if needed ), running projections, accouting, etc. Do them first in the morning and then work on other stuff later.

If I get a marketing task/issue/new idea on Wednesday.. I either wait until Monday and batch it, OR if urgent I put it off until after whatever my Wednesday theme is and do it after that.

Saturdays = Work on my personal wealth building. I list out 10 ideas, listen to money podcasts, work on a new buisiness idea, etc.

These are just examples. Hopefully I gave you enough to go forward on your own.

• Pay your bills 6-12 months in advanced.
    Some of you might automate your bills on a credit card with auto pay. That's cool.

I never did like that. Things would happen like I would never look at my bill when it came for errors/corrections. My card would expire or get lost/stolen and I would have to get a new one and that would disrupt the auto-pay, etc.

Instead, I decided to simply save up/earn more in cash and then make 1 trip into town and pay my bills 6-12 months in advance and never worry about it. These are recurring bills I am talking about like electric, water, car insurance, phone/internet, cell phone, etc...

I had a lot of ups and downs in my life, so this was a blessing in times I was laid off or lost my job or had no income. If you pay your bills on auto-pay with a debit card and lost your income and had no savings, this could damage you. If you put it on a credit card, you would be building up debt. In my method though, if I lost my income I still had my bills paid all year and had time to get back on my feet without being in danger of losing my phone or electric, etc.

• Events that start off badly, hardly ever get better.
    This is a tricky one.

I know a lot of you will disagree and say that anything good or "worth it" is a struggle and that "if it was easy, everyone would be doing it".

However, I am not talking about hustle or putting in your work

I am, however, talking about your gut and friction. For example, I had someone that really waned me to help them on their website and marketing. They couldn't find anyone else to do it and singled me out and had a project list a mile long they needed help with.

When I sent them my contract with retainer, they nit picked it to death and stalled on giving me an answer for 3 weeks. I had forgot about them and then they came back in the 4th week wanting to do "per project" based structure. I didn't like that idea, but I gave them a price anyways and they came back days later wanting 40% off that price.

I should have known why this person "couldnt' find anyone else to do it" and that should have been a red flag ( it was, I just ignored it ).

The point is, this wasn't about hustle or putting in work. This was about my gut and the friction involved just to get this person signed up and the social signals of why no one else was helping them anyways. Its a delicate balance and you need to develop this "feeling".

It started off bad, it's only going to get worse... so I just dumped them to the curb as nice as I could.

I apply this principle as much as I can in everything I do to avoid wasting my time and energy.

Hopefully these are a bit different and helpful for you.​

Will Bauer

Either you run the day or the day runs you.
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Oct 25, 2014
Paderborn
I've used it on and off. But I recently re-installed it and yeah, this site is on the list. It helps.

EDIT: I cheat, though. I disable it completely sometimes. I'm going to look into the settings more and get serious.

If you want to get more serious you should try

"Selfcontrol" (if you're using a MAC) or "FocusMe" (for Windows)

You can set up the programs in a way that there is no way to cheat.

Hope that helps.

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
Use the back of a spoon to get peanut butter out of the jar. ;) Spreads way better than a knife and you cut yourself less often licking the leftovers.

LibertyForMe

Habits pave the path to success.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Feb 5, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
Now that cold weather is coming, put a small space heater in your room and attach it to one of those christmas light timers that you can have turn on at certain times. Have the heater turn on about 15 minutes before your alarm goes off in the morning, and then your room will be nice and warm and you won't be as tempted to stay snuggled in bed.

Also, lay your clothes out the night before, so that way when you wake up you don't have to use your brain to get ready. You just stumble out of bed and put on what you already laid out.

When I do these two things, I find that it is MUCH easier to wake up in the morning.

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
i try to keep things very simple or I won't do them or keep up with them long.

love my samsung galaxy note3 phone with integrated digital pen. Just pull out the pen and the app automatically pops up. I think digital pens are going to make a comeback for phones, tablets, and computers. The ease of input and navigation is just plain goodness, natural. Easy. I keep many lists, make notes etc... they can always be transferred to a calendar item later if need to be scheduled/deadlined. It's as tangible and old school easy to use as pen and paper, with the benefit of being new school digital to be easily copied, moved, transformed, distributed. i'll have to look at onenote/evernote and see if they are beneficial w/out complicating things.

the big benefit is It relieves any anxiety of keeping crap in my brain and trying to recall it later. 2 minutes later to hours/days.

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
So, the Art of Manliness had a guest post on this topic, which you can read here: http://bit.ly/1Pcyfgg/

In short, I don't F*cking "hack" my life. If you're asking what habits I have adopted, I'd mention regular exercise, meditation, and switching to more plant based diet. I'm looking at picking up the 5 minute journal strategy to see if it increases my gratitude, which is something I need to work on, because seriously anger kills.

stefan.mrj

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 19, 2015
Aside from a healthy diet, weights and supplementation i take want to recommended my favorite nutrients for energy and mental focus; zinc, iodine, and magnesium.
If you don't know of the benefits of each of these look it up but in a nutshell each of these play a big role in T3 and T4 hormone production, liver detoxification and mental focus.

Additionally, upon waking each day reading something of interest for 30 minutes helps to prepare for a productive day ahead.

ilrein

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 1, 2012
Great thread, must peruse later with more time.

Currently using Adblock + NoScript to limit the power random websites have to abuse my browser. Strongly recommend the pair, not just the former.

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
Great thread, must peruse later with more time.

Currently using Adblock + NoScript to limit the power random websites have to abuse my browser. Strongly recommend the pair, not just the former.

Look at Leech Block.

ilrein

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 1, 2012
Look at Leech Block.

I think you misunderstand. I don't have issues with managing my own time ^.^

NoScript + Adblock is a way to control advertising abuse (and malicious scripts that can hijack your browser).

ilrein

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 1, 2012
@Delmania you are asking the wrong question(s).

It's not about where I go, it's the ease of abuse that even amateur scripters can accomplish if you don't rely on evergreen browsers. Adblock + NoScript is an additional level of security for me, since I'm particularily paranoid.

It's probably because I'm studying this tool, so I can get a working knowledge on this reality, that I 'lifehack' my browsing activities.

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
@ChasingPaper

LOL.

1) Get money.

2) Get deals.

3) Close deals.

4) Make phone calls.

5) Watch Boiler Room Scene.

6) Imagine myself closing deals.

7) Meditating on the sound of the money counter in the bank. Pffffffffttttttttttttt... Pffffffffffttttttttttttt.

8) Close deals.

9) Close deals.

10) Close extra deals.

11) Close some more deals, just in case.

12) Might as well close some more deals.

13) Take a nap.

14) Sleep good.

15) Eat good.

16) Workout hard.

17) Sprint.

18) Read only the most powerful books.

19) Listen to only the most powerful people.

20) Ignore haters.

21) Give the middle fingers to haters.

22) Yell "F*ck the haters" at the top of your lungs in the gym.

23) Close deals.

24) Basically, keep closing deals.

25) Hustle hard.

26) Hustle extra hard, 'cause you gotta get it.

27) Look at beach homes.

28) Look at yachts.

29) Watch Lambo videos.

30) Work.

31) Prepare agreements.

32) $ign agreements.

33) Plan all the way to the end.

34) Study Go.

35) Close deals every day, every day.

36) Repeat step 30, all day.

37) Take breaks to work out.

Razz

VPH: Value Per Hour
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
515%
Apr 15, 2016
Just getting caught up with all these. Attachment is a mind map to make a quicker or different perspective on this thread so far.

Findings: Mental Health with Proper Nutrition, Provides a Solid Physical Foundation. Focus & Meditation are appreciated. Bullet Proof Coffee is amazing (still going after my first cup), even if the taste takes a bit to get used to.

Contribution: Interact Authentically. Doing so builds intuition, guides interpretation, and generates noiseless value.

Attachments

• Life Hacks FLF.pdf
    39.5 KB · Views: 14

Equilibrium

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jun 14, 2015
My lifehack is a dumb-phone.

Everywhere I go, people are out and about but that little brick of plastic and metal and whatever the hell else those things are made out of is never far away. It’s hard to resist, it seems. People out to dinner with one another are busy taking pictures of food and responding to text messages, folks walking down the sidewalk are talking to someone miles and miles away, and folks on nature hikes are checking the scores for their favorite football teams. The weight of that power is heavy. When any question you can ask can be answered in a few taps, when any person can be contacted with the press of a button, how do you put it down?

There’s so much information at our fingertips but how often are we engaged with the information directly around us? How often do we stop and breathe and soak in the life we are currently living? Fewer and fewer every day, or so it seems to me. Don’t get me wrong, I’m no Luddite.I spend entirely too much time on my PC, I know how distraction and entertainment work. I’ve just never found the concept of the smart phone or facebook terribly appealing. My PC is a powerful tool abut when I step away from the computer, my connection to that technology ends. I’ve been using a dumb cell phone for two years now and I didn’t even purchase that.

I will often, at times drop my phone just to be a dick if someone freaks out almost dropping theirs.. If it breaks (which is never has)
it's not bank-draining to replace.

It’s not that we should always be engaged in the world around us, that we should never crave distraction or allow ourselves time in our own little worlds of entertainment while we’re on the bus or the subway. Not at all. That’s not even possible. It’s simply that there should be time away from these things. Enjoying time without technological distractions with some regularity helps to quiet the mind, at least it does for me and I’ve heard similar statements from many people I know. It’s all about moderation!

So if you’ve not tried it, give it a shot. Put the phone down, step outside and really experience what’s going on around you for a bit. Take a deep breath and revel in it. Feel the wonder of being alive, really alive, for just a few moments.

Don’t worry, the phone will be waiting for you when you’re done. -happletea

I have counted seven people praising bulletproof coffee, which tastes like snail semen. I tried a friends. (personal opinion, I like Irish cream)
and one prospective buyer.
its MCT oil ,butter and coffee.. that's 18.95 per buyer so a projected $151.6 for one target audience.. with NO advertising!

the real life hack is getting people to love poo-poo on a stick.
heyyy.. someone should sell milk bullets you drop in coffee.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.